q3-9-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

rot
Lead Developer

q3-9-Mis

Post by rot »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q3-9-Mis (#2700)
Faction: Misc
Parent claim: TR_3-1-Ind (#105)
Claimed by: Tondollari
Local map: Gorne
Files: TR_q3-9-Mis_Tondollari_1.esp; TR_q3-9-Mis_Tondollari_2.esp; TR_q3-9-Mis_Tondollari_3.esp

---

Dondril misc quest #1. See description below. Also, ignore the coordinates and local map.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Dondril Quest #1

This is a miscellaneous quest for Dondril, a small Indoril farming village in the Thirr River Valley. Should be beginner level difficulty.

Base file: [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21201&start=240]M3A2[/url]

Relevant Locations: Dondril and surrounding area

NPCs involved: Thal Ullev, Volyn Drothril, and pretty much everyone in Dondril

Existing Latest Rumor:

"Feral guar have been pillaging the fields around Dondril. Most figure they must have escaped from the Drothril Guar Paddock west of here, since purely wild guar normally don’t get too close to settlements. We've driven them away on a number of occasions, but they keep sneaking back to nibble on our crops."

This quest is similar in concept to the [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Breeding_Netch]Gnaar Mok's breeding netch quest[/url]. People in Dondril will complain to the player about guar wrecking their fields. They'll tell the player, through a latest rumor that already exists, that they think they are feral guar that escaped from Volyn Drothril's guar pen to the west.

The player can go talk to Volyn Drothril at his manor, but he'll just say that he isn't really involved in taking care of his guar and will point you towards Thal Ullev, the herder. Thal will admit that a pair of guar escaped from the pen a few months ago, and will give the player a few hints of where they might be found.

If the player finds and kills the guar, he'll get a disposition boost of about 10-15 from everyone in Dondril by mentioning it to them (again, see how the Breeding netch quest is done in vanilla). Thal Ullev and Volyn Drothril will thank the player for dealing with the runaway guars, which would have been too much trouble to corral.
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

Looks nice and simple. I am currently working on q-5-mis but would like to work on this one while waiting for feedback.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Granting. Have fun and feel free to come to me with any questions.

I'll try to find time to look at your m3-q5-mis claim like you asked me to, Tondollari. There has been a ton of stuff for me to juggle lately.
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

I understand. Sorry, I didn't mean to rush anything.

I think it's done. Review?

Merge instructions: exterior cell 8, -21, Thirr River Valley has a creature spawn right next to guar placement, may be a bit much?

Walkthrough:

1.) Latest rumors in Dondril about feral guar.
2.) Talk to guar pen owner, he tells you guar really like corkbulb leaves.
3.) Go to corkbulb farm, the people here might offer hints.
4.) Head north.
5.) Reward is done in same fashion as breeding netch quest.

---------------

tr_m3_do_guar Stage 0

The Dagger and the Guar
QUEST NAME: The Dagger and the Guar

tr_m3_do_guar Stage 10

The citizens of Dondril are concerned about feral guar ravaging their crops. They may have escaped from the Drothril Guar Paddock west of town.

tr_m3_do_guar Stage 20

Thal Ullev, who handles guar at the Drothril family's paddock, admitted that two guar had recently escaped. He also mentioned that they may be found in the vicinity of corkbulb plants.

tr_m3_do_guar Stage 30

Doranu Othril had an uncomfortably close encounter with the feral guar. She thinks they came from north of the corkbulb farm.

tr_m3_do_guar Stage 100

I slayed the feral guar.
FINISHED!
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Simple and effective, well done!

The only thing I'd do differently is having the Disposition-raising entries dealt with in resultboxes of the first ones rather than having two entries (because vanilla isn't perfect, but really just for clarity) eg

Code: Select all

If ( GetDisposition < 55 )
moddisposition 10
Endif

It may be a while till m3A2 is ready for quests to be merged in, so don't worry if this sits in Claimed until then
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

Updated with Rot's suggestion.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

The second file you uploaded seems to be for q3-5 :p Not why I was posting though,

Was just reminded of the Death script part of this (completely forgot - sorry!)

Code: Select all

if ( "TR_m3_q_9_guar_feral_1"->OnDeath == 1 )
	if ( done == 1 )
		set done to 2
	else
		set done to 1
	endif
endif

if ( "TR_m3_q_9_guar_feral_2"->OnDeath == 1 )
	if ( done == 1 )
		set done to 2
	else
		set done to 1
	endif
endif
The only problem with this is, it's technically possible (even if unlikely and un-RP) for the player to kill the first, scripted guar and then *Dispose of it* before killing the second, unscripted guar, meaning the script wouldn't run anymore and the quest would never get completed. Simple fix by having the script (with just one, untargeted "if ( OnDeath == 1 )" block checking GetDeadCounts) on both guars.
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

Updated.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Do you have an update for this, Tondollari?
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

Sorry about the late reply. This quest is done. All of my quests currently in the claimed forum are done. They were left in here for playtesting purposes, but this recently became a non-issue. They should be moved to reviewing.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Is anyone around to review this and the other Dondril quest,, so we can merge them into the Indoril Thirr Section file and tweak them to fit the changes to the area?
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

IIRC both have been reviewed already (somewhat informally - the last file for TR_q3-10 should be the one posted last, not the one at the top)
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

is on new browser