Nord Male Voicepack beta

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Morden
Developer Emeritus

Nord Male Voicepack beta

Post by Morden »

Here is a couple files from my Nord Male voicepack. I'm still regarding it as a test of what somebody can do with the most basic of tools.

Considering i'm not a voice actor, and i'm using a $10 mic and a basic audio program i think its going alright.

Please let me know what you think of it so far, and if, with refinement, it could be used at some point in TR. I have many more recordings and sayings that haven't been filtered, cropped, converted, and otherwise enhanced, but thought i'd post what i have now... i also have many more completed phrases but i didn't want to post too big of a file.

Any suggestions?

DOWNLOAD LINK
http://tr.silgrad.com/misc2.php?action=download&attachmentid=1296
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

lol morden where u from ? germany ? i hardly could understand sometimes ... but the sound of your voice seems really great to me ... good work
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

Given your equipment that is shockingly good.
[url=http://evilgreebo.tripod.com/]Get my other mods here[/url]
sterio

Post by sterio »

Those are great! Is there any way to make sure that NPCs use only either those or the original ones, never both? Because it'd be strange if an NPC uses one voice to say something, and another voice to say something else :P
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

@ sterio. hehe ya. i'm currently trying to figure that one out.. but i have pretty much no experience with the NPC dialogue system.

@ prom. Actually i'm from British Columbia, on the west coast of Canada. My real voice sounds nothing like the one in the recording. Thats me doing a bad scottish accent, then running it through pitch and noise filters to make it sound lower. :)
Yinnie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Yinnie »

Hey Morden.

Link doesn't work anymore since we have moved servers. it'd be great if you can upload it here again.

Thanks,
Yinnie.
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

Yeah, I'd really like to hear the voices everyone has been talking about, so can you fix it Morden?
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Here you go. Sorry i didn't see your post till a couple minutes ago :) Seems like it was so long ago that i did these.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I think you talk a little too slow, and the 'thin ice' one could use more of an angry accent, but otherwise, very good!
lvl 57 Knight
Asylum
Developer

Post by Asylum »

great work Morden, if only you could also talk more gilrish like you could do a fem pack too :lol:
but really great work
"Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose"
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Thanks for the feedback. :) The reason it sounds too low on some of them is because i have to digitally lower the recording by a few octaves or notes... or whatever.. and sometimes when i talk in my orginal voice i over compensate by making it try and sound really low on its own.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Just curious but what program did you use.
Teli

Post by Teli »

I think he used a program called Goldwave or something.
Tolkar

Post by Tolkar »

The hellohail3x needs a bit more enthusiasm i think, the other voices are really good. Good work and good voice for a nord.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Yep. It was goldwave. You can download a trial version for free.
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

Morden, this is awesome! However, the quality is a bit hampered by the noise filters, as I suppose they're the reason for the obvious artefacting in the background. If you want, I can try to better the quality a bit - I have professional equipment for exactly that. Also, I would suggest that when you record, try to do it in a small room with a lot of soft padding on the walls; a closet for example, as long as you can fit inside it that is. =D
Doing that will dampen the reverberation and make the recording more "dry". Don't get me wrong now, I think it's GREAT work, I'm just pointing out how you can make it even better. ;)

Cheers!
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I'm glad you like it :) I think most of the background noise comes from the fan in my computer. Hahah i'm such a newbie in the recording department. I did it in my little bedroom..but i guess i could try and drag the mic into the closet if i get back into the voice thing. Your welcome to try to clean it up, but i'm not sure which files you would like.

I just checked my comp.. ya... i deleted the original un-edited wav files from my comp in the last clean out. I do however have other voice recordings i didn't included in the beta of this pack. I guess you'll have to decode the mp3's and see what you can do.

Hopefully i can record more soon but I've got a lot of TR work on my plate at the moment, and i'm working a lot in real life. I'm glad to see there is interest in it though. :D
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

Morden; I'll have a go at it and see if I can fix them up a bit. It probably won't work but I'll try.

The problem is when you try and filter out background noise with a denoiser filter - there will often be a lot of artefacting, which you must try and minimize at recording time. The less noise you have in the original files, the better the result, of course. But there is one other thing which is very useful, and that is a "noise gate" - it's a simple mechanism which just turns the sound on when it reaches a certain level; the rest of the time it's off - meaning only the voice gets through and the noise gets cut off. A good noise gate comes with an envelope that you can adjust with attack and decay times, so it doesn't feel too "jerky". There are two different gates in Logic Audio. I use both them and a hardware gate which is embedded in one of my compressors.

You might already know this, but for those who don't, well - now you do too. =)

Also, if you send me the original recordings the next time you record something, I will equalize them so that they fit with the level and dynamics of the original Morrowind sounds. That way it'll feel even more like they were in the game from the beginning. ;)

Anyway, there will be plenty of time to work with voices in the coming months. There's no need to rush. It's just great to know there are aspiring voice actors out there with recording equipment who actually can make it sound quite good! =)

I'm going to try for some voice acting myself but since my accent is not perfect (I was after all brought up in Sweden and my british accent has thus become tainted. :) I'll try to go for Khajiit or Argonian voices. Maybe there are other dialects as well that I can try to mimic... Suggestions and requests are very welcome! =)

Cheers!