Help with icons

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Help with icons

Post by Eraser »

I would like to know if anyone would like to help me and OoT by making icons for weapons and armor. I have the first version of these two plugins ready, but the only thing holding me back is finishing the icons off. I started working on them, but not only am i having problems getting them to appear right, and I'm finding myself uninspired when making them which only slows me down.

I'll send the models/textures and plugins to whoever would like to help so they know what stuff looks like
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Do the icons have to been in either dds or tga format?.. or can they be bitmaps. What you can do to make a quick icon is to take a screen shot of the Item in the CS, on a black background, and then paste the screenshot into photoshop or whatever, cut out the item and shrink it down to size... and there you have a small icon of the item. :D
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

I've done that, but the icons keep coming out all warped and distorted in TESCS, even though they look fine in photoshop. that's why I'd like someone else to give making them a try.

Yes they either have to be tga or dds.

Anyone?

Blad I think you posted in the wrong thread. should I delete the post, or does that have any relevance to my post?
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

Would You use XnView to convert to TGA, or DDS?

I'll give it a try, I'm pretty good at drawing icons from stealing them from other games :) (Redmoon Online)
(Day-kin)
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

ignore this, I accidently pressed back
Last edited by Majra on Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

If you do it in the editor, won't it come out looking more like the besthesda icon?..but guess when its shrunk so small it won't make much diff.

I'll repeat what i suggested above...

"What you can do to make a quick icon is to take a screen shot of the Item in the CS, on a black background, and then paste the screenshot into photoshop or whatever, cut out the item and shrink it down to size"

Here's a tutorial for people who are wondering:
http://www.euro-morrowind.com/modding/tutorials.htm
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

I thought doin it in TESCS was causin issues for some reason, it needs to have a transparent back ground right? and by rendering in 3dmax and just putting it into photoshop for editing, the background will be transparent and a TGA
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Maybe thats why his icons were always coming out all warped.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

That may have been why, if I hadn't made the background transparent after pasting the screenshot in photoshop.

Dakkan is going to be helping me with the icons now so no worries ;)

I could've released stuff earlier, but I like things being complete(well what I have being complete) I don't do things half-assed