WOT - Morningstar

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

WOT - Morningstar

Post by Haplo »

Should we have one of these? It's just like a mace, except the metal ball part of the mace is on a chain connected to the stick...and the ball part is always round with points, like an actual star
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

[img]http://www.play.net/images/weapons/morning_star.jpg[/img]

I made one but I dont know how to texture :(
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

yes, except that theres only one ball on a chain and its the size of a softball to the size of a humans head.

(or three balls on a chain the size of bladmands)

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Well?

Post by Well? »

Darn it, wrong picture..
Gimli the dwarf

Post by Gimli the dwarf »

I think the general term you're looking for is "flail". They usually have 1 - 5 balls on the end of varying sizes.

I don't think these would work in Morrowind because of the animations required for the chain during attacks. However, someone did make a whip a while ago, but it still didn't have proper animations during attack animations.
Shaper of Worlds
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

no, im talking about a morningstar, not a flail, and what, bladmands picture was actually more accurate...

and flails consist of long pieces of leather or rope with no balls on the end, like 12 of them...but no balls...

Gimli the dwarf

Post by Gimli the dwarf »

A morningstar is a flail, it's just a more specific term for a flail with only 1 spiked ball. If you don't believe me click this link

http://www.knightsedge.com/medieval-weapons/medieval-flail.htm

http://www.knightsedge.com/flails/medieval-flails-two-balls.htm
Shaper of Worlds
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Gimli is right, its really an animation problem. Who are our expert animators here? We know we can somehow get a specific animation to play automatically, because of the bow animation. just how do we get an appropriate anim. for a blunt weapon without a script?
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I understand your point Gimli, but I mean they would not be called flails in the game, since they are a special type of flail.

Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

Anyone ever play castlevania I, II, III for the nintendo? they got flails in there.

For the record, not that I'm agreeing with the following comment, but Diablo 2 has Kalims Flail, and it has 3 balls, but I'm pretty sure a flail only has one.
(Day-kin)
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

The animation problem is a large issue. I don't think we can make the animations needed. If it's even possible to anime weapons, I don't think it can be made to look good. Because of the chain, the only way to make it look good is if it uses somekind of a system that uses gravity parameters and such to animate it live, much like the "ragdoll" system you can see in some games nowadays. Thus I'm afraid something like this can't be made for Morrowind.