Insect biology 101

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

vorrheis

Insect biology 101

Post by vorrheis »

Okay, this new thread was started to discuss the details of the various new insects. Here are some pics of some of them.

[url]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Vorrheis/bug_eggs.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Vorrheis/bug_eggs2.jpg[/url]

As you can see, I made the Ornada beetle have a version that carries the eggs on it's abdomen. I did that so we wouldn't have to make a colony.

On to the dres sky render. These things are huge. I don't know if any of you have seen them in-game, but they are very big. That raises concerns for the hive. We will have to make a wingless worker version I'm afraid. We also need a queen and larvae.
In terms of practicality, the nests should be built on the ground, or under ground. I think the only structure that could support a hive (that will have to be a little bigger than Ald Skar) would be one that is built specifically for that purpose, like the one in the dres capital. Any thoughts?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Why wingless, couldn't it just fold the wings together (like along the body)? (could possible be an animation so we'll see a dres bug flying into the hive while folding the wings together. You wouldnt know how small places bird can come in :)
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

That would be cool, but I think it would be impossible to script one animation to play at a specific place. That's why NPCs never go in or out of cells.
I guess the workers don't have to be wingless, but they will have to be smaller.
Another option would be to say that the drones (or the mountable ones) are magically enlarged, and therefore unable to live inside the colony. That would make the hive easier to build. The natural (or wild) drones could be the size of kwama workers.
It is (to my knowledge) impossible to have a creature that both walks on the ground and flies in the air. The winged twilight only 'flies' during the run animation and she can't ascend.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Okay. Since I will write an almanach about Morrowind's domesticated insects, I thank you very much for starting this thread, Vorrheis.

Here's my ideas for the Sky Render so far: As the sky render is a largely domesticated animal, it should have two nest types: one for the wild (the big wasps nest) and one for the domesticated (a tall dres style toqwer that has organic wasp nest componets). The tqall towers should be part of the major Dres cities, or of dres forts if noone wants to put them in. Alternatively, one could ake up a central dres "bugport" site where two or three of these nests are being domesticated and the render squads live.
As for the connection between pilot and mount, I'd like to see some sort of binding, generally like the Anne McAffe Pern novels with dragonrider and droagon, just a lot more twisted. Maybe like a babylon 5 shadows starship and, ehrm, pilot? Merge the minds of both? That would certainly produce interesting dialogue ...
The Renders' eggs shouldn't come in a container, it they're just too big. The eggs should be placed in the queen's chamber (a towering, alien quee size, at least, creature), then caried by either slaves kept specifically for that purpose, or worker renders to their respective breeding chambers, where they re sealed and hatch, and the larvae are fed until they mature. Much like with bees, ants, or wasps.
I personally favour the slave idea for domesticated renders, as this will make these animals much better to control. As for food for Larva and Render, what about Aphid flesh? Since the Aphid is only farmed for it's Chitin, there's bound to be a lot of goo, flesh, organs and other stuff left when the chitin makers are done with it. As real-world wasps feed on other insects, and the Render looks more than a bit like a wasp, I think it's safe to assume it's predatory in nature, too.

2. Mole crab ideas: Though solitary, mole crabs tend to form colonies like Peinguins or seagulls during breeding season. And, while very crab couple vehemently defends it's small place, they also find protection in numbers in such a nesting ground.
As Vorrheis said in the Natural Armours thread, the mole crab is a solitary animal, which digs through the ground and consumes roots, small rodents and insects, worms, and even the occasional scrib young that it can take advantage of. Generally, it won't attack anything larger than a scamp, and tends to flee men or mer rather than fight.
The dunmer have a difficult relationship with this little animal. Though domesticating mole crabs (by keeping them in fields with subterranean walls, whcih the mole crabs can't penetrate, as well as fences), every ash yam farmer genuinely loathes wild mole crabs. And everyone who has seen how quick such an animal can consume a fully grown, 10 pound ash yam root will iunderstand why.
The Mole crab is farmed for both it's chitin (which is of a finer quality as the Aphid's, and thus sought for by dunmer armour makers) and it's eggs, which are considered a delicacy by Dunmer, even though the westerner may find their taste - "like Almonds", is the common notion - a bit strange. It is eaten raw, or cooked; in any way, the shell (comparatively soft) is always consumed together with the egg. Dumer especially value fertilised eggs with unripened larva in them, which is something all other races find thoroughly revolting.

So much for now, gotta go, more to come later! :)
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I like your ideas hermit. Since the mounted dres rider is a creature, it's dialogue is going to have to be added. I'm pretty sure that the mounting script requires an equippable item (ring or amulet) we could say that it is the catalyst of the mental joining.
It would be nice to see slaves working alongside the dres worker bugs in the domesticated hives.
As for the molecrab, the farm sounds cool. I can't wait to see a fenced in molecrab farm. We might need some more statics (like small burrow holes) and yes, they could be activators that draw out molecrabs.
If anyone has pics of the aphid, they should post them here. If the aphid needs lore, we should go ahead and make some while we're at it.

Vorrheis
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Have you considered making insect eggs almost perfectly circular and stacking them in large piles? I don't know much about insects.. but i think some of them lay eggs in that manner... seeing as how insects often lay a couple thousand eggs or something like that. Mostly it would just be a diversity thing... if you want a different looking egg-style.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Caviar ... how about making the Telvanni squid a source of caviar?

And, here's my take on the Ornada beetle:

The Ornada Beetle is a timid, well armoured, peaceful creature commonly found in the southern, fertile regions of Morrowind. It's a scavenger by nature, and can tap into any food souce, so long as it doesn't fight it. The only Ornada beetles that may get agressive are females, when they bear eggs.
The beetle is farmed in Morrowind like chicken are in the civilised provinces. Since it is somewhat loyal to it's sleeping places, reasonably social (Ornada beetle females may be territorial when they bear eggs, but the males usually get along rather well) and produces both quality Chitin, edible flesh (supposedly, it tastes like lobster) and equally edible eggs. Young Ornada beetles, barely hatched, are eaten whole in the dres region, a custom most likely brought there by the Argonians, who consider small insects a delicacy.
Ornada beetles don't have a fixed mating season, as most animals do, but rather mate whenever opportune. The female seemingly needs a successful mating with at least fifteen males to produce eggs, which she then glues to the back of her abdomen right after laying them - the Dunmer of the southern regions of Morrowind refer to especially promiscuous young mer as "beetles", a saying which has it's roots in the Ornada beetle's mating behaviour.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

@ Hermit- Sounds good to me. Man I can't wait to read your book.
Also, if the Aphid doens't have an egg-type, we could do the round eggs for them. It might be hard to make eggs for a squid, I think they bear live young.
Munkie

Post by Munkie »

Hmm...I'd rather have it that the main 'hive' so to say be only in Tear. There would be of course lesser hives if one can call it that. I'd rather call these lesser hives, temporary staging areas for the Dres Sky Renders.

Any Dres sky renders found outside of Tear in other cities would be considered patrols. As for the concept of the hive, it is less organic than I thought it would be and I think it's fine. I'll post the drawing when I have the time to scan it.

A bit off topic but I'm wondering if you could change the texture of the Render from yellow and black to something more earthy looking. Perhaps a muddled brown and gray.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I'll start on the dres sky render stuff, once I receive the concept art.

Hermit- Do you have any screenshots of the molecrab farm yet? I'm dying to see them. Also, I know that you wanted to do some food statics to bring life to the game's dinner tables. Would you be interested in a small Ornada beetle on a platter over greens? If I could figure out smoke or steam particle effects it would be really cool if it were steaming a little.

Vorrheis
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

vorrheis wrote:Another option would be to say that the drones (or the mountable ones) are magically enlarged, and therefore unable to live inside the colony. That would make the hive easier to build. The natural (or wild) drones could be the size of kwama workers.
The Dunmer of House Dres are even more fanatically opposed to our wonderous civilization than the average Dark Elf. One should be wary when dealing with them, if only for the Renders.

Oh? You haven't heard of them before? I suppose the Renders get lumped in with all the other strange beasts of that province.

At any rate, Render drones are huge flying creatures, like our wasps allowed to grow to a ridiculous proportion. Large enough to carry a man on their back, not that they carry anything but mer, of course. The drones are so marvellously gigantic that they cannot enter the hive, but then, that's sort of the point. Drones defend the hive; they don't actually live inside it, so as to see their enemies approaching. Oh, I know. In other provinces that would be true. But in volcanic Morrowind, it's warm enough that the insects don't really need to huddle together -- the Render drones are plenty warm enough hovering around their hives. It's sort of funny, if you think about it. Renders are social insects, but the drones are pretty solitary. Oh, they'll gang up on anything that looks the least bit dangerous, don't get me wrong, but they don't go out of their way to group together. Maybe it's a function of their duty -- staying apart to cover the most ground -- or maybe the big creatures just don't like to feel crowded.

If one can make it inside a hive, you'd only have to deal with the workers, who are relatively calm. And the queen, who is too large to ever exit the hive. But who would want to get inside a hive? You'd just have to leave, and deal with the aggressive and territorial drones *again*. And trust me, if something is big enough to carry a man, it's big enough to eat one.

The Dres have tamed a few hives here and there, the Renders treating them as if they were part of the colony. That the drones don't need to enter the hive allows them to carry riders at all times, and at short notice.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

@Ender: Nice! May I take that part for the book? The Farmer's Almanach to domesticated Animals, Vol. IX: Morrowind, would have two authors then ... :D

@vorrheis: The farm is harder than I thought, those omperial drystone walls rather stick out in the indoril tile set. I think I'll use rocks. Hope I'll get it done by sunday, then there'll be screenies. :)

BTW, could you do a small, molehill like static, and an equally sized nest entrance? I'd need to place those too, after all the mole crabs are supposed to live mostly subterranean ...

And as for the ornada beetle, on a platter with greens and steam, that'd be great! make it red as a lobster, sine it's cooked, heh. And make the eyes very hitish and dim; that'f give it an even more cooked look.

Hey, anyone here have played FF9? Remember, an Oglop's never wrong at a dinner table ... ;)
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

@Earl- I love it. We could use that as a qoute in the book, or added dialogue in the game. Either way, with the idea of the drones being disproportionately large, the hives will be much easier to pull off.

@Hermit- Sounds good. The statics shouldn't be too hard, I'll work on them when I get a chance. If the walls aren't working for you, why not get someone to re-skin a couple wall sections for you?

Vorrheis
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Hmmm ... reskinning, that could work. Just replace grey rock with West Gash rocks ... yeah, that'd do, I think. :)

Why didn't I think of this ... :?
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Hermit- This pack contains all the eggs, the molecrab clutches, a molecrab mound, a cooked ornada over greens on a platter, and the egg carrying female ornada. You will need the ornada textures for the cooked one and the egg carrier. I've included icons for the eggs.
I'm going to let Eraser and Greybeard know that I've posted this, but I'm sure it's good to go for you.

Vorrheis

As a side note, the cooked ornada should either be loaded as a static or container (with ornada meat), and the steam has to be manually added from the activator section.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

In case any of you don't know, the TES screenshot library crashed. I think that means that all old screenshot pics will not load. Anyway, I started a new account and here is my first screenshot.
This monster bug is the parastylus. We definetely need a new name for it. Hermit gave me the concept art for this one. It's based off of a prehistoric creature that looks like a mix between a mantis, lobster, spider, and scorpion.
It is a solitary hunter that attacks with it's claw blades and poisonous bite. It has a blade on it's tail that is used to prevent other predators from attacking from behind. It also, uses the blade to bury it's eggs deep under the soil.

[url]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/vorrheis/parastylus.jpg[/url]

I haven't started the animations yet, and I know that some changes are going to have to occur with the fangs and the tip of the tail first.

Vorrheis
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

vorrheis, this has got to be my favorite of all your works, this will be great in the humid areas, it looks fantastic, it gives me the creeps lookin at it(well done hermit in the concept), you know what would be awesome, if this thing would jump up to around neck level for one of its attacks, itd be scary as hell.

*Bows before the king of creatures* :D
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Whoa! Hooray for the Parastylus (which really does need a more flashy name)! Great it's being done! :D

I agree with Majra, this is great for Argon Jungle, and swampy areas in general; it should be found in all BC areas in Dres, Indoril and southern Hlaalu Territory. Also, the jump attack ... that'd be great, hehe. Best, it should produce some terrible screech when jumping .. that would make it even more scary!

And many thanks for the bug statics! I'll check them out tomorrow, and hopefully, I can post a small .esp with a sample bug farm (and some screenies) tomorrow evening or the day after tomorrow.

Vorrheis, what would this project be without you ...! :)
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

I agree, vorrheis, you are the man

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Praise Vorrheis! :D

Hooray for vorrheis! :D :D
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Gimli the dwarf

Post by Gimli the dwarf »

I agree, Vorrheis is "THA" man. This lil bugger looks like he could give you a really nasty nip on the ass. I don't really have a gripe with the texture, it looks really good in my opinion, but if Vorrheis is satisfied with his texture work is the real question.
Shaper of Worlds
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I actually am happy with the carapace pieces, it's actually the amber texture for the game (even though I don't remeber seeing it in-game). I might try a funky blue/gray podplant texture for the under belly. When completed, this thing will be up to a man's chest, making it about the size of a tiger. Hermit had some lore in mind about it being a solitary hunter.
I think we should say that it is un-tamable, and very aggressive. Almost worse than a spider, and a little more dangerous.
@Hermit-what else did you have for this creature?

We still need a name. (Maybe a made-up name, like the shalk).

Vorrheis
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

As vorrheis commands, here's my take on the Parastylus (I left the name for now, until we find one that suits us better). It may appear that I took heavy inspiration from Alien, but actually, it was a mockumentary about the world 700 Million years into the future that I watched recently that gave me most ideas about the Parastylus. That and the movie Parasite Eve, which is completely different from the game. I may also have thought a bit of the original scrib concept, to be read on TIL, in "Interview with a Dark Elf".
The fauna of Morrowind, by Alicantus Salernus; Volume I: The Parastylus

These beasts, equipped by the creators and the warping presence of the unholy Red Mountain with two razor-sharp claws protuding from their first pair of limps, a sting on the end of their abdomen thatinfects their prey with a devastating toxin, lighning-fast moves, the ability to blend into their surroundings by taking their colours, and a mean temper that is extraordinary even in their twisted home land, are one of the most dangerous predators in southern Morrowind and northern Black Marsh, to where they have spread. Sightings are common in Thorn and Stormhold, and there have even been sightings of Parastylus as far south as Helstrom. Like so many land animals of twisted Dark-Elf land, it is descendant from insects, which is apparent even to the unschooled eye for it’s vicious claws, hard armour, six legs and the uncanny speed it moves along.
Unlike some predators of those dark lands, it is not prone to open attacks, but rather lurks about, changing it’s appearance and colours to blend in with the surroundings, and to strike the unwary from behind with it’s razor-sharp claws.

Parastylus feed on anything they can subdue, often consuming prey that is still alive. The Khargouti beast, another strange morrowind lifeform, whose twisted form can best be described as half lizard, half bull, it it’s preferred prey, but larger creatures like the Alit, even their own species and men occasionally fall prey to Parastylus.

The Parastylus’ reproduction is as exotic as it is revolting. Once a Parastylus reaches a certain age, it either seeks out females (if male) or sends out scents to attract them. The mating has never been documented by any scholar or other learned person, but Morrowind natives speak of a ferocious fight, at the end of which the male either subdues the female or is killed and eaten by her. If subdued, the female is implaned the male’s semen, by the same means the creatures usually poisons it’s prey – a sting. The male then takes off, and looks out for another female to fertilize, or to die of the wounds the female struck him.
The female breeds the eggs in it’s abdomen, where they hatch. The larvae then slowly devour the female’s internal organs, while the female continues to live on, and burst out of their mother when they reach a certain size. Revolting as this creature is, the young usually keep within their mother until she finally dies from her unholy ‘pregnancy’. ‘Pregnant’ female Parastylus are exceptionally aggressive; it is obvious that the pain they endure drives them mad. The locals fear such creatures, which are easily recognizable by their swollen, red abdomen, as they attack everything without remorse, and when slain, their half-grown young burst out of them, to again attack anything in sight, biting, clawing and eating everything they possibly can. It takes a group of at least three grown men to dispose of a Parastylus mother and her twisted children.

The Parastylus shows some resemblance to the giant insects the Dark Elves use for transportation and as beasts of burden and war, the so-called silt striders; locals deny any relation between the two species. Apparently, however, there must be some link between them, as both are attreacted to the same surroundings, employ their limps in the same way, and even share the general makeup of torso, abdomen and head, which with both beasts is fused to the thorax and barely recognizable.

Oh, there's an amber texture? Vorrheis, would you like to make one or two amber stones, for Skyrim?

Well, as always, flame me as you like on the lore I made up for that magnificent bug.
Last edited by Hermit on Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Are you planning these to be in game books? If so then you are using much too great of a scientific view. Remember there is no proper school of thought here and musings are much along the lines of the greek philosophers (The more advanced edging towards Davinchi(Sp)) but definitally not close to a dictionary. (Think of the mating kagouti or the writiup on nymphs)
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

I was thinking of the Notes on Racial Phylogeny (or something like that), which also discusses possible crossbreeding between beast, man and mer. But yes, maybe I should make it a bit more colloquial in stle. Keep in mind, though, that this "scientific" tone can already be seen in 16th century european alchemists' manuals (a friend of mine has one I have read in a few times; I was quite surprised at how normal and no-nonsense it's writing style was!), so maybe it's not completely out of place in Morropwind, which to me seems kind of like in an early renaissance-like period ...
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

it depends on the author

if the author is Dunmer, then it should be viewed more spiritually
if its imperial, then it could be scientific
prolly same with breton
if its redguard, prolly more edgy view
argonians... well lets face it they cant write haha

Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Most of the literature (especially the research and lore based) is purposfully non scientific so there is always interpretation that can be taken in the writings which is why lore discussion on the boards is so interesting. This view has been openly expressed by the devs. So even if the scientific view may fit in the setting I would still discourage it's use overall.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Okay, that's a valid point, I'll muddy it up a bit and make it appear more biased and based on the author's own convictions, okay? :)
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

cool. Sorry to make you rewrite a bit of it. Bayond that it was good.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I like it, I didn't think about how it would work with the rest of the game, but I guess you guys have that worked out.
As for finer points, I like the inoculation as opposed to insimination (the aggressive mating ritual), but I don't know about the young bursting out of the stomach. I thought it would be more interesting if the mother used her tail to deposit the eggs deep underground, like a cicada.
Cicada's larvae can live underground for up to 17 years! They also, only emerge on years that are prime numbers from when they were deposited. They have evolved that way so that they can never be destroyed by mass predation. In the case of this bug, it would be to protect the species from man or mer predation. But, I'm open either way.
The impregnated female could be larger and more aggressive, but due to the high level of segmentation, making a prego looking version would be hard, and wouldn't animate well.
Unlike the molecrab, sky render, and ornada beetle (which figure into local agriculture, military, and economics) I don't really want to have to make a bunch of statics or variants for this bug.

Vorrheis
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I don't want you guys to think that I'm slacking. I've finished the parastylus' animations, but somehow it's entire carapace (the individual meshes) have become corrupt and I'm going to have to make the shell from scratch. Hopefully I'll have it ready by Sunday. Also, I'll release the chitin material item (for use with the Ornada). The parastyl is still going to be a source for bonemold.
We need a name for it before I release it, so anybody and everybody, start throwing them out.

Vorrheis
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Well, it's done. It still needs a cool name.
I like the textures it has now, but if someone wants to re-skin it, I won't mind. It does attack with it's tail, but not like a scorpion. It turns and stabs the tail at the PC's face. It also jumps up to bite.

Enjoy

Vorrheis
Attachments
parastylus.rar
(220.54 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Cool!! :o :shock: :o :shock: :o

Many thanks! Every other mod will envy us for this fellow! :D
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Wandering the plains under the close scrutiny of the herder, the plain strider is a smaller cousin to the massive silt strider.
Being half the size of the siltstrider, this creature is still much larger than most creatures. It is a large resource in terms of food and chitin. Being somewhat soft-shelled, it's chitin can only be used in the manufacture of weaker armor types.
Although passive and easily controlled, the plain strider will attack if provoked.

[url]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/vorrheis/plain_strider.jpg[/url]

We need a new name for this and the parastylus. Please help give these guys cool names.

Vorrheis
Attachments
plain_strider.rar
(151.6 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Very cool on the plains walker. Also maybe you should make a thread on the names of creatures that need names. Have you figured out much of thier background as that may help.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Hermit is in the process of writing a book about all of the new insects that we are adding. There is a little info on the parastylus, and I just made up some on plain strider.
Maybe we could call one a velk and one a kwoom, then we wouldn't have to make up 2 more bugs.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Very cool:)

Would you be able to animate the siltstrider model so it can be used as a creature?
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

how bout as a new name for it
a muckleech ?

simple, primative

Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

I thought we already had a vhelk and kwoom?
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Parastylus: how about Marsh Scorpion? Marsh Lurker?

As for the plain strider, that name may be just fine ... I like it, at least. Buffalo-sized insects ... :)

What about the other archaic creatures I once sent you images of? Will these ever be published?
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.