Natural Armors

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

1. As the sky render is a largely domesticated animal, it should have two nest types: one for the wild (the big wasps nest) and one for the domesticated (a tall dres style toqwer that has organic wasp nest componets). The tqall towers should be part of the major Dres cities, or of dres forts if noone wants to put them in. Alternatively, one could ake up a centra dres "bugport" site where two or three of these nests are being domesticated and the render squads live.
As for the connection between pilot and mount, I'd like to see some sort of binding, generally like the Anne McAffe Pern novels with dragonrider and droagon, just a lot more twisted. Maybe like a babylon 5 shadows starship and, ehrm, pilot? Merge the minds of both? That would certainly produce interesting dialogue ...

2. The eggs generally look nice, however I'd like to see some variety in nest shape; the mole crab nests look okay o me, especialyl for a creature that lives underground in large parts, but the Ornada beetle should have a diofferent nest - maybe one that encloses the eggs completely, save for an entrance for one or two parents, adn make it a container? Like a weaver bird's nest, or maybe a lump of a Alien-style organic gigeresque ... colony?
The big wasps egg shouldn't come in a container, I agree, it is just too big. The eggs should be placed in the queen's chamber, then caried by either slaves or worker renders to their respective breeding chambers, where they re sealed and hatch, and the larvae are fed until they mature. Much like with bees, ants, or wasps.

As for the pauldrons, either way they look just fine, and are more than worthy for TR. :)
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I like all of your ideas so far. I made a new 'egg clutch' for the ornada, but I'm starting a new thread just for the bug discussion.

Vorrheis
DMKW

Post by DMKW »

all those new armours look great..i like the new skin a lot more
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Thanks DMKY. I'm doing some work on fleshing out the insect creatures, but after that I want to make a leather armor made from the daedra skin ingredient.
The idea is that the armor will be a little lighter than glass, a little weaker than glass, with twice as much enchantability, and a LOT more expensive. It's a more practicle choice for thieves and spies, but really hard to acquire.
Does anyone happen to know any lore on the Blades? I wanted to concoct a story about the leader of the Blades and how he acquired his full suit of daedric leather armor.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

I really wouldn't make it that strong as glass as glass is already uber. Also because it is a patchwork (Coming from many different types of deadra) it wouldn't be very strong. Personally I think it would work better as mad wizard clothing but if you want to make leather armour out of it that's fine. Again however I don't see it as being very strong (Although yes it would probably be very enchantable depending on how it's made).
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I just snooped around the Construction set, and it turns out that daedra skin has 28 referrences, but the only creature that will yield daedra skin is Menta Na (a high levelled daedroth that you have to kill in a daedric quest).
We can let Eraser decide the actual stats, but if we use a re-named version of the daedra skin (call it dremora skin, or daedric leather) as a reward for killing dremora lords, then I think we could be more lenient on the stats of the armor.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

My point is if there was something that easy to get (Considering you have to dominate and torture a deadra not just kill it for deadric and even then you need powerfull magic) everyone would have a pair and it isn't referenced in lore. Also I could swear lots of creatures drop deadra skin and it is a reasonably commonly sold ingredient. Also Dremora lords already drop too much with the ebony equipment. The only way I see it fitting with lore/logic is if we give it to the humanoid deadra as thier armour (Deadra Lord, Seducer, ect.).
Again you are working with skin not hide so untreated it would be rather weak and treated it would most likely lose a lot of it's enchantability.

I guess a lot depends on what it turns out looking like. I guess my point is the concept is cool but your original explination sounded a bit uber.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

As for daedra dropping it, I think you might be thinking of daedra hearts. I will admit that it is a common alchemy ingredient (which is wierd since there doesn't seem to be a steady source). So to counter-act being able to buy the material for the armor, we can use a different item that is similar to daeda skin. How does daedra hide sound?
As for lore, the cuirass of the savior's hide is the reason I had the idea. Granted, that is the skin of Hircine (not just some daedra lord), but this would be nowhere near as uber. I was thinking that the stats would be somewhere below glass (we can let the lore guys decide), and it should be extremely uncommon. Having it made should be an ordeal, where you have to kill many high level daedra to get enough material and the production cost (to pay for the wizard, the risk to the craftsman, and all of the specialty equipment) would be through the roof.
Even if we did decide to have it for sale, if it costs more than glass (due to production costs), hardly anyone would be able to afford it.
Once I have some screens up, we can decide if the concept has to be trashed/altered.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

What about Skamp skin? And Kagouti hide? I bet you could make some impressive armour out of Kagouti headplates and tusks.
DMKW

Post by DMKW »

that deadric skin armour is an awsome idea! it sounds like you will be making it a unique armour..i hope so. since it'll be light armour can you make it with assassins in mind? we need some good assassin armour...the DB armour is to bulky IMO. i think we need something more for the acrobat type assassin

maybe something like this..form fitting and covered in belts and staps...and if you added the hood and the quiver too that would look so cool!
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/015/015244/img_2044752.html
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/thief3_032904_007.jpg
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/DMKW/thiefdeadlyshadows_021704_002.jpg

i didn't know the saviours hid was hercines skin...any idea what that stuff hanging no the back of it is?
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

While we're at it, how about a daedric chitin armour, made out of (and kinda looking like) the Dridrea? That arour could also have moving parts .... like mephala-like legs on their backs .... how about making this the official armour of the Elite guards of Mephala's grand temple?

Also, armour made out of Alit, Khargouti and maybe even Shalk and Rat could really look awesome. Of course, this would mean adding scripts (and, in case of shalk and rat, new ingredients) to Vvardenfell, but I *hope* this wouldn't be a problem with the purists.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

One thing, about a guild that may produce morrowind's netch arnmour: According to the 36 sermons,Vivec's mother was "a netchimen's daughter". TIL speculates that netchimen are "either netch hunters or skinners that deal in netch hides". Well, how about them being those who work Netch hides into netch products, too?
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

The idea is that this armor will be black and grey. It was sort of a thief/assassin armor. I was going to make an artifact version of the cuirass for the leader of the blades that has a grand soul gem on the chest piece.
I'm pretty happy with the way the cuirass is coming together. I think I just have to tweak one of the textures to make it look a lot better. This armor isn't going to have a clavicle piece to the pauldron, because a sneak wouldn't want the extra encumberance or mass.

Tell me what you guys think so far:

[url]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Vorrheis/daedra_hide_01.jpg[/url]

Vorrheis
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Because it doesn't have the same feel as deadric maybe you should call the normal armour deadraskin leather.
Looks cool.
As far as the grand soul gem, that would work although you may want to re color it. (grey and dull/dark red come to mind). And I think varying the skin tecture would work well.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Looks good so far... but i'd assume that the head of the blades would use something of Cyrodill manufacture, as opposed to an armour from a recently conquered province...made from the skin of magical beings he doesn't worship... But I do like the looks of it so far. :) One suggestion for the leather texture would be to add stitches or buckles for holding everything together. You could put straps and buckles going from the back of the neck, all the way down to the lower back... or just stitches between the leather pieces.
DMKW

Post by DMKW »

wow thats awsome! i'm glad you will be making this a thief assisin type armour
Gimli the dwarf

Post by Gimli the dwarf »

That there is indeed cool. It's got a very "fantasy" look to it, great work man :wink:
Shaper of Worlds
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Thanks DMKW,

I was about to scrap the whole thing.

Anyway, I could add stitches, but I figured the leather could be held together with resin, to give it a cleaner, plated look. I hesitate to use buckles as metal would reflect light and counteract the stealth aspect. Was going to use lacing for the obvious closures.

It's fine if the leader of the blades doesn't use the armor, I thought it was a cool idea. We will just drop that idea.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

How about the Leader of the mainland Morag Tong? They use leather armour ... and a stealthy, daedric armour would nicely fit them, I think.

The Blades use armour too, as they have their origin in an elite fighters unit in the 2nd Era; however, their entire equipment is Akaviri in style, which about translates to an asian feel - all these japanese weapons are Akaviri desgins. I personally would like to see some of that stuff, but, heh, you're already more than swamped and have given this project so much, I don't think I really should sit down and demand something herem

One more thing though: the daedric leather aermour needs rines of some kind carved into it, and some sort of impressive, scary helmet, to complete it.

The Praetorian guards, the emperor's crack guards, wield daedric daikatanas, btw.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
DMKW

Post by DMKW »

well maybe you can make like the pauldrens and boots stiched or something ..kinda like a hybrid..like the main parts..cuirass etc..would be pure daedra skin..and the rest a mix of mabey daedra skin and cloth? ..i dunno..its late ;)
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Okay, here's a little progress picture. I'm sorry this is taking so long, but I'm making the textures by hand. The general construction is black leather with daedra hide 'plates' so to speak. I've tried to balance it a little better between the two. Also, since this is a tight leather armor, there are a lot of pieces that need female versions.

Here:

[url]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Vorrheis/daedra_hide_02.jpg[/url]

Let me know how I'm doing.

Vorrheis
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Nice! Now, all it needs is some runes written on it '(in a dark red), greaves, boots and a helmet. Heh. Maybe the helmet really can be a dried Dremora face?

Anyway, looking good, vorrheis!
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Ahhh. The labor of love continues. And what a labor this armor has been. Here it is with everything except the helmet.
I like the idea of using a dremora face, but I was thinking of making it an open face helm. I'm still undecided. First, I need to fix a few textures, and figure out why the boots are blue. Then I need to make textures.
Maybe we can put runes on it as an artifact. We will have to get Majra to do the rune variant, as I don't know the daedric alphabet.

[url]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/vorrheis/daedra_hide_03.jpg[/url]
Munkie

Post by Munkie »

I don't know if its just the screenshot but those two dunmer look rather...skinny with the armor. It doesn't look right compared to the size of their heads. The cuirass looks fine though.

This is a bit late as well but the Blades 'official' armor is that of Akaviri design or rather that of the Tsaesci.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

It's supposed to be skin-tight. A lot of the pieces are re-skinned body parts (to achieve that impression). Anyway, I can't decide how to do the helmet, so here is everything else. I even made the icons.
I'm going to start on the bear skin (MW not BM) armor, then the dreugh after that.

Vorrheis
Last edited by vorrheis on Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Munkie

Post by Munkie »

It really looks beyond skin tight but whatever you say though. I don't tend to like it but then again I'm picky as hell.

The cuirass is the best looking piece.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

GMax is freeware. Go pick up a copy and show me how it's done.

If anyone would like the .nif files, here they are. I couldn't get it to post last time so I'm trying again.
Attachments
dae hide.rar
(531.58 KiB) Downloaded 87 times