Behold the grand new model

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Behold the grand new model

Post by Vegor »

Alright..

I got bored again and did a first attempt at moddeling today. This is today's result. It's a scimitar, not finished yet. The bottom part needs a lot of work yet and textures are completely worthless. I just wanted to do something with this newly created model so I thought to post it here.

As you'll see my texture capabilities are completely nill so maybe when it's done someone can help me with textures. If it ever gets done that is.
Screenshot is taken in the CS.

[img]http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Vegor/scimmod.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I cant see it.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

I can. It's a guy holding a long curved blade. Kinda like a saber.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

It looks good. I would scale down the handle and hilt a little. Also, it's hard to tell how the blade curves. You should make a screen of the blade on the ground so we can get a proper look at it.
Also, when you open your screens in a 2d program, you can adjust the brightness and contrast to make it easier to see.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Alright, here are two pictures of it.

You can see the handle and hilt need a lot of work. The two sphere-like things on each side I am gonna replace by cilinders (as with the steel claymore), polygons show way too obvious now. Textures need work as I said, and the handle is a bit too big as you said Vorrheis. Working on it.

[img]http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/vegor/Scimmod3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/vegor/Scimmod2.jpg[/img]
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

I like it alot, except the textures are a bit too perfect, need to be dirtied up a bit, but other than that, pretty impressive
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Ok here goes. Resized everything a bit and made the textures look aged and dirty.

Two points next to fix are the fitting into his hand correctly and the backside of the blade which is badly textured. Since I don't get the texturing completely it'll be some time before I get how exactly to do it.

Anyway 2 screens with full light:
[img]http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Vegor/Scim2a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Vegor/Scim2b.jpg[/img]
Tolkar

Post by Tolkar »

Nice, this scimitar must be in TR :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I can see it now, im on a different computor and suddenly its got lighter. Nice sword but its a bit syimple, not nessesarily a bad thing but adding a few gems in the handle and stuff could make it a good looking weapon.
Could u put that into TR or request for it to be put in? Looks nice and has smooth edges, could be a nice addition to Tamriel.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Most weapons in game are simple. Might make more types of it like was done with the iron equipment and some other stuff.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

It's simple for two reasons.

First because it's my first real attempt at modelling so starting out with something simple is best.
Second because of wat Assassinace says: Most weapons are simple. Adding all weapons with decorations and gems and whatever makes it feel unreal. We need more simple weapons, just because the world will be a lot bigger and therefore there will be a lot more simple weapons to find. Of course a lot of special and unique weapons can also be found, but mainly plain weapons.

I just made this model because I think a scimitar is a must in the array of weapons in the game, and I missed one in the original.

BTW: I was thinking about making a group of 'pirate-like' weapons. Scimitar, falchions, things like that. All in a style like this one, not fancy but just plain and a bit exotic. I am not sure whether someone is working on something similar already, but if not I hope it gets approved so I can make some more weapons.
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

Sabers, skulldaggers, even cleavers :D . I like it.

Nice model Vegor, and you're right, not every weapon will be fancy, but perhaps you could add some scratches or make it look a bit more used with textures.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Y not make prirates all together, it would belike the twin lamps, a small cult with a few quests but with thier own armour and weapons and a couple of pieces of clotheing, nothing fancy but could be fun. The Silver one looks nice but the gold one looks a bit too clean and unused, u dont have to add gems to it but mabie put a few scratches like Legolas said.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Of course Legolas, it's not finished yet. It's just a 'progress report', since it's my first model and I like to get (and I'm getting) feedback on it.
I'm not satisfied about the textures yet, and I'm new to the whole texturing part and still finding out how to do it right. So it'll take some time before I really get the hang of it, but I like to have some idea about what to do next.
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

You should talk to Eraser about adding scimtars. I've already made an adamantium and daedric scimtar and saber. I'm not sure who else he has working on weapons, so I don't know what has been done. I think your model would be ideal for an iron scimtar.

One thing to keep an eye on is poly count. Ideally you want your poly counts comparable to those of
Bethesda's models. It is possible to make better looking weapons with a lower count (like Rhedd did with the heads).

Vorrheis
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I sent 2 or 3 retextured sabers to Eraser... i'm starting to lose track of what i've done. One of them was sort of a steel US Civil War era one. It would make a good captain's sword. And the other iron ones would fine for pirates. Yar.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

I mayt use themn whenevr eraser release another weapens of Tamriel
I said I would return and I may have been right. The past must stay in the past as agreed. If the core needs me or has a job for me just ask for now I watch and write.

Former Moderator of the Core.
Was once called the Sotha Sil of the core.
Garland

Post by Garland »

Just remember to add vertex shading.
claims:
4-21 - completed
5-12 - completed
Shadow_Ranger

Post by Shadow_Ranger »

dude, you should make it a two hand weapon, and not change the handle :idea:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yea, try makeing it two handed as its a bit long for one handed.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

I've downsized it and it'll be a one-hand. Having some doubts since polycount is high and texturing isn't working out so I am not sure if I'll continue on it or just throw it in the dustbin alltogether.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

:-O, dont chuck it! Ill have it if u dont want it, i think it has potential if just worked on a bit.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

dont chuck it.

personally, the handle and hilt of the original sword were absolutely fine. It's the blade that scares me;

Its curved WAY too much! Soften the curve by a few degrees so its point is facing more outward than upward.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

or, make the inner side of the curve a little thicker
(Day-kin)
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Hmm I think a scimitar should be curved that much, if not, perhaps even more. I'll just look up some pictures of scimitars to show. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think the silverish one looks good, u just need to make the gold one look a bit more used and dirty.
Tolkar

Post by Tolkar »

This authentic scimitar is better than the vegor's scimitar? I think, no, the 2 scimitars can do the same work in combat. Good work Vegor. Your scimitar is not bad in my opinion.
Attachments
scimitar.jpg
scimitar.jpg (57.7 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

See, it is a suksess however u spell that, now all u kneed to do is make all of the other correspoding weapons and mabie armour for that type.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

That's about why it's not really a scimitar. A scimitar has that broader part at the top which mine doesn't have which makes it something in between a scimitar and a saber. I'll see what to do about it, perhaps I can add that piece..
Tolkar

Post by Tolkar »

I think this is a scimitar, a saber is less curved and more long, but your scimitar(or saber) looks better if you adds that piece.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Great, so I've now adjusted the blade to make it have the broader part, and I am slowly finding out how to actually do the textures, so all textures will be redone. Here's the new model without textures; it might be a little unclear but be patient, the textured one is coming.

[img]http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Vegor/scim.jpg[/img]
av01d

Post by av01d »

i think wat we have been talking about correcting the blade at the hilt area is shown in the pic below..
think it will look nicer with the red part removed

2cents
Attachments
edit.jpg
edit.jpg (4.78 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
"Um, I already gave my best"
"And that I have no regrets at all"

Lore: http://www.williamhung.net/
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dang, too dark again, i think these something up with my comp, ill just go upstairs to see it.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Thanks Avo1d I've been trying to get it look right by angling and resizing but that piece was indeed the problem which made the hilt-blade part look oddly angled. Now it looks better, thanks.
av01d

Post by av01d »

glad to help. post a new screen soon aye?
"Um, I already gave my best"
"And that I have no regrets at all"

Lore: http://www.williamhung.net/
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So, im guessing its going to be in the game.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

try to take just a little off the length of the blade somewhere(like a straight part), and add a little bit to the hilt, cause as of right now, it's a little to large to be a one-handed slashing and slicing weapon.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Its only 1 handed because it looked a bit strange as a two handed...
Nice sword, mabie fiddle a bit, make a few more weapons of the same type and mabie even armour but of corse neather of these has to be done, its up to u but although it looks good it doesnt looks like a unique weapon so id imagine there would be a few more weapons that were made the same like an axe mabie or a short bade shouldent be too hard.
Negrodomous

handal

Post by Negrodomous »

it looks awsome, exept the handal is too long.
Attachments
scim2b.jpg
scim2b.jpg (3.71 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Thanks for uselessley reviving a thoroughly dead topic. :evil:
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload