Welcome to the Sound & Music department!

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

dragonfly

Welcome to the Sound & Music department!

Post by dragonfly »

Welcome to the new Sound & Music Department!

This is where we will gather our forces and add a whole new dimension to TR - the dimension of sound!

I have been granted the chance to try and pilot this endeavour, and I am very much looking forward to an interesting and productive time on this project.

I will create a thread on this forum where the general rules and guidelines for creating music and sound effects will be written down plainly and as easy to understand as possible. I want to stress that these rules are always open for debate and I am a very reasonable person; I will do my very best to adhere to everyone's suggestions and ideas.

As I have said, anyone is more than welcome to join up; there are many projects going on that could certainly benefit from our work - from ambience and atmospheric effects to custom NPC voices to the ethnic music of the many Tamrielic races, there are any number of things to do here! Not to mention the great endeavour of writing a completely new Tamriel Rebuilt Original Score! =)

My sincere thanks to everyone involved, and especially to the core members who have so fullheartedly supported my ideas for this project and given me their blessing.

Cheers!

-- Dragonfly / Sound & Music Guru =)
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

Wow, sound effects. Count me in, I love impersonating NPC's and making disturbing noises...I just need a better microphone and better sound software. I can do dunmer, nords, and bosmer pretty well.
Last edited by Legolas55 on Sat May 01, 2004 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

heye i guess i could make some good dunmer voices or Daedric ones .....
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

I have a mic and I'm up for some voice acting. I'm quite good at mimicking voices(can do the half life Gman perfectly(as my friend says im not being stuck up)) I have goldwave but haven't used it yet so i may be able to make sound effects too after practice with it.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I would be glad to do voice acting for creatures; like those bugs that mimmick humans in valenwood. The only voices I do well are either cartoony or downright disturbing :D . Oh, I also do a near-perfect smeagol voice; perhaps we could use it for goblins? this is one thing I can do without my hard drive.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

I'm glad to see so many people are interested in working with sound effects and music! If you want to do any one particular soundset or NPC voice, you're free to get started anytime! Open a new thread and tell people what you want to do, to make sure no one is already working on that particular project.

For musicians, write your musics any way you like, and when you have something of substance, just send me a MIDI file of the work, along with a list of what instruments you want for what channel(s).

Good luck to all of you! ;)
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

hmm, i'm really glad we have a music and soud department, even though i can't help in any way...
i wish you sound plp good luck and hope to hear some stunning music and sounds one day. :D
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

awesome! Now dragonfly can really get more active!!! I'd help, my dad is the head of the music department in West Georgia University, he worked all the time with Robert Shaw, and performed with people like Sheryl Crow, Celine Deon, Gladys Knight, and Barry Mannilow (dunno if thats how you spell it)...enough with bragging bout my daddy now... anyway...we don't have any sound equipment , so I cant do anything
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Telsar
Developer

Post by Telsar »

I would like to help with music composition. I posted a sample song in The Tavern recently, so if you want to you can check that out.

Do you want me to use MIDI sequencing software, or is it ok if I use a keyboard? With the keyboard I use, I am able to record up to 16 tracks individually, then combine them. It also saves files as MIDI files.
Upsilon
Developer

Post by Upsilon »

I would like to help in doing ambient sounds and those stuff... I have Sonar 3 so I can do things like this... Just tell me what to do and I'll do my best...
Asylum
Developer

Post by Asylum »

A scarry ambiant sound like you get when there is a ghost flying near you would be a nice thing. ;)
"Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose"
Blackblade

Post by Blackblade »

I would love to help, but I don't ahve any composition software, do you know of a place where I can get some?
[url=http://s3.invisionfree.com/FactionsExpanded]Join the Factions Expanded Project![/url]
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Search for Finale. Download the notepad; it's fantastic.
Suhn Tarsis

Post by Suhn Tarsis »

Just a foolish question. but what if we could possibly have a different musical theme for every land. All following TES theme but like with different instrumental themes, example:

The main TES theme in skyrim, except plyed on the Balalika, or harpsicoard
And in Argonia a mandolin or tribal drums or maybe even like one of those Chinese violin things.

as I said a foolish sugguestion.
Bozhe Tsarya Khrani
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

What Skyrim has to do with national Russian instrument ? It should be Skandinavian, not Russian.
Last edited by Stalker on Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Or even Scandinavian...
welp
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

It was about caps\non caps letters ? I'll fix it right away. Sory.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
SlugZ

Post by SlugZ »

What are Scandinavia-music? :? We put on Aqua? Safri Duo? :P
Interior Designer:
----------------------------------
Now making:
Almalexia, Manor district (21,-26) #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7 and #8

Yay! Dun Akafell passed review! Now I'm happy! :)
Suhn Tarsis

Post by Suhn Tarsis »

Either way, Russia was founded by Vikings sailing down the Dineiper, Don and Volga rivers. So there music and cultures are in some ways similar, depending on what parts of Scandinavia and Russia we are talking about, and isn't the Harpsicord a Scandinavian instrument? You know, that instrument they use to play the Rohan Theme in Lord of the rings?
Bozhe Tsarya Khrani
Blackblade

Post by Blackblade »

does anyone know where I can get something that will record MIDI files (prefrebly for free) I got Finale Notepad, but it dosen't support MIDIs.
[url=http://s3.invisionfree.com/FactionsExpanded]Join the Factions Expanded Project![/url]
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Why ya want to record midi, record Mp3 with lame! :P
Due to the sheer size of the project, it will take years and years. Important members will get jobs, families, shot, whatever, and leave
- Dexter
Blackblade

Post by Blackblade »

whats lame?
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

An audio codec, like winrar, without the winrar part ;)
Due to the sheer size of the project, it will take years and years. Important members will get jobs, families, shot, whatever, and leave
- Dexter
Blackblade

Post by Blackblade »

could you give me a link?
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

http://www.soft-ware.net/multimedia/audio/codecs/p03234.asp
- Dexter
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

and isn't the Harpsicord a Scandinavian instrument?
Dunno, but the keyed fiddle is. I guess.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Dragon wrote:Why ya want to record midi, record Mp3 with lame! :P
Have you read the previous page? You can't compose music with LAME, but you can with MIDI.
welp
Vigdis

Post by Vigdis »

Björk is real good Icelandic music. So I think music for the Nords shouldn't be loud, fast and pompous.
Björk could be good inspiration!
Walked away. How can you say "Poison hearts will never change. Walked away again."? -- AFI

,Stank´ you! (Andre 3000)
Teli

Post by Teli »

Suhn Tarsis wrote:and isn't the Harpsicord a Scandinavian instrument? You know, that instrument they use to play the Rohan Theme in Lord of the rings?
You're sure you're not talking about the Harding-fiddle? That's the norwegian national instrument, and it was used for the Rohan Theme.
Working on:

Knuttin' atoll
Vigdis

Post by Vigdis »

Well, you could use BAVARIAN music!
HOHOHOHOHO I laugh me into the death...
(I'm not speaking of "Octoberfestival-music, you see?)
Walked away. How can you say "Poison hearts will never change. Walked away again."? -- AFI

,Stank´ you! (Andre 3000)
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Vigdis wrote:Björk is real good Icelandic music. So I think music for the Nords shouldn't be loud, fast and pompous.
Björk could be good inspiration!
Good idea, however Bjork could not be considered 'typical' icelandic music. She certainly has none of the colloquialisms of Icelandic music these days - she is a Top 40 'musician' now.

*Has mental image of bathing in a hot Icelandic spring with Bjork - grrr*
welp
Timito

Post by Timito »

Making music sounds fun, but I haven't got any software to do it. Isn't there some kind of "music creator" to download for free???
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

If you have not worked with music before, you might want to concider doing something else instead. It's nothing you learn over the night
Timito

Post by Timito »

Maybe I can do voices :?: :)
Devon8999

trigered music

Post by Devon8999 »

I was looking online and i saw an interview on the person who did the music for the halo and halo 2 games and i got many ideas for game this I think that there should be music triggered when events happen like, when it gets dark out there should be spooky music and when it is daytime there should be lively music. also when you are fighting there should be battle type music.
amnother idea: try rewinding voices singing ooh or aah it makes a cool efect. 8) :o 8)
Majra wrote:to decide who is the coolest guy in the core, we shall have a fight off

Last man standing is crowned coolest of the cool
START BITCHES!

*gets in car drives to Baltimore to fight dexter*
This'll be interesting....
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sounds like a good idea! Music making is the only thing I'm good at, so I can do that for you. I think I can arange an orkest to play music, I can olso play guitar. Maybe doesn't fit in the tamriel picture, but they used guitar in the Rome: Total War music; You decide...
Upsilon
Developer

Post by Upsilon »

Ok guys, I just made a ghost sound, or something. Tell me your impressions please...
Attachments
WraithFX1_mp3.mp3
(203.06 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

I like the sound and am certain we can use it. You should try to remove the delay tail, as the Morrowind Engine lays its own reverb over any sound in realtime.
welp
Upsilon
Developer

Post by Upsilon »

ok I'll fix it
Upsilon
Developer

Post by Upsilon »

Here's the version 2 of the ghost sound 1. I deleted to delay tail...
Attachments
WraithFX1_mp3_v2.mp3
(203.13 KiB) Downloaded 37 times