A few questions about ... sounds, you guessed it :o)

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Liliath

A few questions about ... sounds, you guessed it :o)

Post by Liliath »

There are a few things I would like to ask, as I tried quite a long time ago now to deal with sounds. First I must say I'm not competent in sound editing, the only soft I used once to change a bit a waterfall sound was Atomix MP3...

So, in a jumble :

- Is there any form of "collision" between sounds in the game ? I'm asking this because I once placed 3 sound activators in the CS in a cave (exterior cell though) , and when walking around the cave in-game, the sounds would work fine until one area in which the sound would stop, though the activator wasn't far away...
I doubt it comes from the game's taking destructive interferences due to the undulatory properties of sound waves into account ... :roll: . My misuse of sounds in the CS would be more plausible...

- Is it possible to have sounds randomly playing in exterior cells ? Cause I found a few bird squawks and rainforest ambiences I would have liked to put in my claim, but if they start each time the PC gets at the precise location the sound activator is at, it wouldn't seem natural. I would like them to play randomly in the forest.

- I heard of a mod that added ambient sounds in taverns, pple laughing, bottle and glass sounds etc.. Would be nice to have such ambient sounds :).

In a more general way, adding ambient sounds truely gives another dimension to the game ("dimension" is the word you used, and it is the right word to me :) ), so your sub forum is really important, I'm glad you decided to take care of this.

Thanks in advance .

Liliath.
"Progress is going from failure to failure without ever loosing one's enthousiasm"
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Liliath, I cant remember exactly ow to do it but try fooling around in the region editor. I think you can it to have a random chance of playing some sound :)
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I was wondering this too; seeing as that my claim is the most rainforest-like. Nothing I can do now; but it's good to know.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

Liliath, if you have some sound files you would like to use in your claim, it would be great if you put them up for download so I can have a look at them; then we could make them available for anyone who would like to use them. It would be best if everyone used the same soundsets; it would really blog the game as well as the distributed files if everyone used different sounds for the same purpose. And also, it wouldn't sound right.

I'm adding a thread about naming conventions so please read that one too as it ties into this discussion.
Liliath

Post by Liliath »

I saved those sounds on a back up CD, now I gotta find where the CD is... :?
"Progress is going from failure to failure without ever loosing one's enthousiasm"