Rules & Guidelines

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

dragonfly

Rules & Guidelines

Post by dragonfly »

This is a first post to this thread, and therefore these rules are merely suggestions. During the initial weeks of this project the rules and guidelines are bound to be shaped and reshaped any number of times.

1. There should be a claiming system for sound effects, however, I am still uncertain as to how this should work. Any suggestions are welcome. For example, two people making sound effects for the same creature or project seems to me to be a waste of time and resources, pretty much like making two versions of the same claim.

2. For those working with the TR soundtrack, the music you compose should be sent in pure MIDI form to me so that I can orchestrate it with a soundscape that fits the rest of the soundtrack. I do by no means have any intention of "running over" any of you, this is purely for keeping the consistency of the OST and making each song feel part of a whole. I will of course work closely with each contributor, and I will try to keep the end result as close as possible to what you intended it to sound like when you wrote it. You will of course be credited as the author of the piece in question, I will take no credit for music I did not write.

3. For sound effects and NPC voices, the same rules as for the TR soundtrack apply with a few changes - since sound effects depend heavily on manipulating digital audio, they will undergo a reviewing process, much like other claims. After a sound or soundset has been approved, they will undergo a "mastering" process, which pretty much is just an adjustment of volume and dynamics to make the sound fit nicely with the original Morrowind sounds.

4. Sound effects should follow a naming standard, for example TR_RAF_Ambience_1.wav where RAF = Rainforest; or TR_SRP_Bird_1.wav where SRP = Skyrim Province.
The standard should be set NOW, before people start using custom sounds actively. Because having a hundred different new sounds for the same purpose hardly makes sense and will make for a HUGE filesize as well as non-consistency throughout the mod.

These rules, I think, address some of the more obvious problems of organizing this project. I think they're pretty straightforward. Please post your suggestions, questions or general banter here and let's get this project rolling! :)
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

I want comments on this ASAP. Especially items 1, 3 and 4, about the claiming system for sounds, since it's kinda urgent if we're going to get custom sounds in the game without a big hassle.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

About no.4:
TR_V_SRP_male_01.wav:
V -voice
SRP - skyrim province
Male - the gender of the speaker
TR_A_SRP_01.wav:
A - ambience
TR_M_SRP_01.wav:
M - music
TR_SFX_SRP_01.wav:
SFX - special sound effect (like creature moaning)
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

On Part 1:
I think we should just make a list of all new creatures, and see whether new sounds are already present. If not, we should list them as Open for Claiming, and then anyone can claim them and add sounds. Of course, when submitting the Claim someone has to check whether it's good enough or not.
This is basically the same as interior claiming, and I think the system would work here just as well.

On Part 2:
Totally agree. The sound should be consistent. Getting it to sound right using MIDI might be hard, but people who make these MIDIs should just contact Dragonfly to discuss on the volumes and instruments if they are not satisfied with results.

On Part 3:
No comment, check out my comment on part 1.

On Part 4:
Agree as well. We need good prefixes for different areas, and we need to list these prefixes in this forum. If someone has a sound for an area that does not have a prefix yet, he should report it here and the prefix will then be added to the list.

I also agree (doh) on what Stalker says. Different prefixes for different kinds of sound. I would like to see a different prefix for creatures sounds though (CR), leave SFX for the special things (for example steam in Dwemer ruins).
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

Alright, I'm making a thread for Sound Prefixes and Abbreviations right away. We'll compile a list of them there and people can use them when creating new sounds. Or if they don't, the reviewer of the sound(set) in question will just name them in an appropriate way when releasing them.

Btw, I suggest the name "Sounds of Tamriel" to go nicely with the other project names. :)
Dummyplug

Post by Dummyplug »

A question about MIDI files. I have a sound pack called Garritan Personal Orchestra, and with it I can orchestrate MIDI songs as well. I also have a few 'exotic' drum samples (japanese drums, mostly), which might help a bit. I can post links to some of my pieces. If the quality of the songs are all right, then you don't have to go through the trouble of orchestrating my songs. Maybe I could even help with the orchestration of MIDI files.

-Just a suggestion.

http://dummyplug_88.tripod.com/within_reach_orchestra.mp3
http://dummyplug_88.tripod.com/preperations.mp3
http://dummyplug_88.tripod.com/Anxious_Romance.mp3
http://www.geocities.com/tryti88/brass2_3.mp3
http://www.geocities.com/tryti88/floating.mp3
Teli

Post by Teli »

Whoa! Those are very good!!!
Working on:

Knuttin' atoll
The_Warder
Developer

hi

Post by The_Warder »

hey i am knew and not that good but i think if you guys liked it we could use like the music that was from conan i love the battle music especialy.it could be in skyrum or some other barbaric place