Dunmer voices in Dunmeri???

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Legolas55

Dunmer voices in Dunmeri???

Post by Legolas55 »

Some guys have been making the rest of the Dunmer language because in mostly-dunmer towns, it will be used for dialogue. Does this mean the voice acting should be in dunmeri?
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

whuh? i didnt know that was true... theres gonna be towns that speak purely dunmeri? hmmm ah well, im just part of making the language, not using it
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

To be excessively blunt, that's effing stupid.
Using it heavily in dialog would effectively make the dialog inaccessable to slightly over 100% of the people who play the game. Dropping a word here and there, easily understood or explained in context is fine; whole conversations in Dunmeri... would suck. Contracts or things meant to be inaccessable or obscure to the player, those would be fine.

But spoken Dunmeri sounds fine. Pun intended.
I mean, it'd be just like them to mutter things about you in a language you don't understand, especially negative things.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Adding our own renditions of put downs would be great just like in Morrowind you you have enemies going S'wit and stuff

Post by Guest »

Only the voice dialogues would be fine to be in dunmeri, but making the text dialogues dunmeri too is insane.
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

Oh, sorry, I thought that dunmeri would be spoken in dunmer towns. There might be some common tongue for non-dunmer residents, but I think it will be used in dialogue sometimes.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, I dont have a problem with some old dumner saying something, it's like one of those pieces already in game that needs decoding.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

I do like the idea of sometimes people tryin to speak around your back if they think you dont know dunmeri, but then thered have to be a script where they dont do that if your race is dunmer, and itd just be a huge bogging global i think

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

Greetings and similar, as well as general banter, would be great to have in dunmeri! If we make a little of both there will be variation like it already is in the game; people speak dunmeri in-game from time to time and I was never bothered by it, in fact, I thought it was a great touch! A spoken "exotic" language really adds to the feeling of immersion. I say go for it, record some lines and if it's just awful, we'll scrap the whole thing. Either way we have nothing to lose. ;)
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Majra as far as I know, you can just add a condition at spoken dialogue that if PCRace = Dunmer that NPCs won't say a certain line (which will be the Dunmeri sentence in this case). Although I am not entirely sure - yet it works essentialy the same as normal dialogue so it should be possible. I am not sure whether the PCRace=Dunmer is a possible condition though, so I'll have to take a look in the editor to be sure about it. But I think it should be possible without adding a huge global slowing the whole thing down.

However, in the game IF you are a Dunmer, you will also be a Dunmer who is born in a foreign land. Since native Dunmers notice this right away, they might just as well think you don't speak Dunmeri. I don't think every Dunmer that is born abroad can speak Dunmeri.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

I'd agree with earl. an occaisional word is fine and also their greetings(actual voice not text) could have some. They already mutter things in dunmer sometimes so thats fine.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Well I am not going to pretend that I sound the least bit like a Dunmer, but I have a friend that is fairly knowledgeable with things like this and I am going to see if he can change my voice to sound more like the ones in-game, then maybe I can mutter off a few things in Dunmeri, whould be interesting plus it would be nice to have for things like the Morrowind MQ.
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

I would like to try recording a few lines in Dunmeri as well, but we still need something to say. Suggestions people! ;)
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

dunmer thread,custom items although not all words are concrete yet, some are still being discussed

Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Still needs some work but here are some quick preliminary ideas to get the wheels turning.
Itallics means in Dunmeri

You’re a cute one

(expletive word) thief!

He’s higher then a netch “Equated to very proud ex. When talking about an altmerâ€Â￾

Today it looks like (Dumer proverb that equates rain to something)

S’nwatha Sera
(Something) (Something) Sera “Since many non Dunmer know the word sera as a compliment this is an insult about there intelligenceâ€Â￾
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

In many of shakespere's works, the word "Sirra" is the opposite of "Sir". "Sir" is used when speaking to someone of a higher social rank, and "Sirra" when speaking to someone of lower social standing. I was studying a shakespere play and that was in one of the footnotes. I thought i'd finally figured out what the dunmer were saying to me.

ex. Actor 1: "But sirra, What say you to this?"
Actor 2: "Sir I confesse the Wench."

Are you sure that the dunmer say "Sera" and not "Sirra"? After all, as an outlander they would view you as lower in the social hierarchy.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

They say Sera for sure. Check the Voice part in the editor. And they only Say it to you when they have quite a high disposition, so I think it wouldn't make sense to be a word that implies they're talking to someone of lower social standards. It is commonly thought of a term of respect, check out the [url=http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=3912]thread on Dunmer language[/url].
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

It's also in writing. (The play in tribunal is a good source. Sera and Muthsera are both terms of respect.
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

You can also turn on captions so that when they speak you can actually read what they say, it is Sera.
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

Doesn't "sera" mean "friend"? That's what I thought. and "muthsera" - "my friend", just contracted to a single word consisting of "muth" - my, and "sera" - friend?

Why don't just someone email Bethesda and ask? :D