MP3 Sound Files in-game

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

dragonfly

MP3 Sound Files in-game

Post by dragonfly »

Is it possible to use MP3 files as regular sound files instead of WAV files? Or maybe compress with MP3 and use the WAV as a container. Because pure uncompressed WAV files are really bad quality at the filesizes we're looking at - which is not more than 500kb per file. If it's possible to use MP3 instead it would sound soooo much better. I figured since the music is MP3 there should be support for sound fx as MP3 as well in the engine... True?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You can use mp3 even though it doesnt show up as a supported fileformat :)
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

Ack! The game engine doesn't accept general WAV RIFF files with MP3 compression. And I thought it would be easy to replace old sound files with mp3's... Damn.

Is there some kind of link between objects and their corresponding sound files in the TESCS?
Texas

Post by Texas »

Some games dont support both, Morrowind does 8)
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

Morrowind probably supports MP3 files, but not embedded MP3 in a WAV RIFF.

Which means files will get about ten times bigger than they could have been with RIFF support.

Irritating.
Garland

Post by Garland »

why not use ogg?

you can convert wavs to it with audacity [url]http://audacity.sourceforge.net/[/url]

Though I'm not sure if that really solves your filesize problem...heh
claims:
4-21 - completed
5-12 - completed
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

Well Morrowind won't play Ogg-files either (duh). It's of course a possibility to distribute the files as MP3's together with a script that decompresses them after being downloaded and places them in the correct directories... But the sounds would still take up a lot of harddisk space. Say 2-3GB for all of TR...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I dont understand, why embed them in a wav when it can play pure mp3?
dragonfly

Post by dragonfly »

That's just it. It CAN'T play pure MP3. The files don't work. They play in the CS but not in the game.