Spellbooks

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

Here you go, no corrections please, comments would be alright though, I haven't proofread it yet, i'll do that later then post some competed stuff.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
============================================================================================
Adventures of Tathar v.1
By Ciprus Baefal

Foreward

From his long years as a pilgrim, Tathar son of Thalion knew to choose his battles wisely. This often meant choosing none at all. This was to be expected from a monk. But tathar was no longer a monk. He now sought adventure in place of pilgrimage. We begin in a time and place where such things are brougt to chance. Tathers mastery of his father craft would be put to the test.

Part I - The Masters of Spark and Lightning

Tathar clung with Ulwarth to a particularly small rough boulder of Daedric fence stone as the two ancient Stone Beasts began to bear down on their tiny bulwark. They knew the shortcut was foolhardy and Tathar did not fear the scamps believed to inhabit the shrine. The beasts had been unexpected, a sign the shrine was active.
Neither of the men had seen such aparitions, at a loss, they classified them as such. They obviously had immense power, they crushed stone and rubble seeking the hopelessly unlucky travelers as if they were unsettling a store of wickwheat.
At length, with the persuit drawing ever nearer thier small shelter, the adventurers decided their only chance was to make haste to a town they had passed only hours before. If the persuit continued, the local guard and wizards would likely make short work of the beasts. Neither man had teleport means at present. They know now why, but it was by choice on a previous day.
Their flight took them first up a small hil directly in sight of thier persuers. The obstacle had not seemed mutch, though the danger was obvious and their decision proved folley. As Tathar, who had insisted on following, felt the force of the monsters targetted arcane barrage, his thoughts left him for a time.

Kemen was sitting across from him at a kitchen table in the house of khelik, they had just sneaked some scrib jerky and jelly from the stonemasters storage and where enjoying their spoils. Tathar was slightly dazed, this was not like a pilgrim, to behave in such a manner. But he was young by his peoples reconing, and had barely been a monk for a year. He sat back and smiled, his mouth tingled in anticipation. "Yes" he thought. "This freindship may yet work out, I may well remain in the house of Khelik for a while".
He took a small bite of his jerky. He savoured the rough cured texture and the tart juice. Then to all his sense, it seemed his head exploded.

Now Tathar was with stonemaster Khelik in his halls of iron. Kelik was using his magic craft and a great hammer to finish an iron archway. Tathar had been practicing his mastry of spark and lightening magic in these halls of iron, where his power was greatest. He took well to the lightening craft of his father.
He remembered he had been honing his skills here for over two years now. Within the walls of this great house he and his good freind Kemen had enjoyed many triumphs of magic and mundane craft. In these halls he had all but perfected his craft and learned to cast the essence of iron and steel at will, thus weakening any substance to his skill.
Now Tathar felt a great pressure, it was above he thought. Though his mind only percieved it as such. He could not shift his gaze and faded again.

This time he awoke in his bed. No, in their bed, laurlena, Daughter of the stonemasters brother was beside him. He Stirred and she awoke. He was again with the one he had fougt for so many years before. The one for whom he had betrayed his friendship with Khelik. For whom he no longer knew the family of his choosing. For whom he lost his home. finally he had lost her, just as easily.
He wanted her again to be content again. He no longer wanted to return to the present, to die, he had realized. He focused to remain here, where he had always longed to be...

It was in vain.

Suddenly he understood. Deep within, He recognized the attack. Greater than that, his mind and body weathered the attack on instinct. He was in no danger he mused as the sparks and lightening intensified within him. He opened his eyes to Ulwarth, who's own eyes where wide with terror, and smiled. For he thought, no knew, for a time that he was lost to the power of the beasts and now understood they had only strengthened him. To Ulwarth, who could only look on in amazment, Tathars smile was that of a demon. He appeared to have absorbed the monsters constant onslought of lightening and made it his own. Tathar only stood there, for a time. His gaze fixed past Ulwarth. Ulwarths terror turned to confusion, as magic Lightning overflowed his companion.
With that, Tathar began to laugh a demonic laugh, for never before had his power been so challenged, nor had it been so charged. His bane had always been his capacity for magicka, why he benefited so from the amplifying propeties of Khelicks iron halls. Now he was being infused by the beasts, his power grew ten fold and he knew it. He slowly and deliberately turned to face his agressors and laughed yet again casting a spell over the beasts. He then entered a stance perfected in form by years of devoted practice and there wrought forth a tempest the like of which no tale of this age tells. The ground surged, the shrine gaveway and his companion was thrown some fathoms and cradled in ash unharmed.

As Ulwarth trodded back to the site some minutes later, he found his companion in the ash toying with sparks and small bolts of lightening between his fingers. The creatures where gone. Powder from their white stone bodiestinted the rocks behind where they stood and the earth was scarred. The shrine was no more.
I said I would return and I may have been right. The past must stay in the past as agreed. If the core needs me or has a job for me just ask for now I watch and write.

Former Moderator of the Core.
Was once called the Sotha Sil of the core.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

And Zombie's excellent Lock story:

----------------------------------

You learn Dalgor's Shackles (Lock 100pts, touch) from this book.
It also contains a story with a quest. If whoever doing Dragon Glade (Kotloth?) is willing to put a two-story mansion somewhere in the middle of the town, it would fit there. The quest would be to open the vault door, find out who did it and bring him to justice. I haven't outlined how the thief is to be found yet. These books are to be found from the thief's hiding place which is probably somewhere in the vicinity of Dragon Glade. The books that teach Telekinesis and Chameleon (both powerful versions of Dalgor, who is a Bosmer thief) will likely expand on the character.

Dalgor's Journal, Part 1

[This notebook appears to be thief's journal, including notes about crime sites, loot and escape methods. Aside from the value as evidence, parts worth noting consider descriptions of unusual situations and interesting spell formulas crafted for exacting situations.]

25, Last Seed

Many times have I had quarrel with Renil Osalar for using needless spells during missions. They say, just get the job done and get out with a Recall or perhaps an Intervention spell. Alas, sad are the times when a man is not allowed to do his job as he sees fit but be restrained by artificial rules and mindless leaders! But there is no need to obey, for the elders shall not renew his leadership. Renil is but an errand boy and claimed his position by luck and bribes, nothing else.

2, Hearthfire
I was counseled by the Grandmaster in his chamber. He agreed on what I had foreseen - I will overthrow Renil from power as the local guildmaster, on the condition that until the New Life Festival I shall do his bidding. I see that tension fosters the chances of us being exposed but t'is a long time to tolerate such incompetence!

14, Hearthfire

I have been set a task by Renil to acquire a supposed artifact from the vault of Lord Indoril Pyoris. His manor is not an ordinary one by security, for there are rumors that the house is sealed from intervention magicka! How is one supposed to escape by any of the so-called traditional means enforced by Renil? Even if one could escape, the location of the estate has been chosen wisely. In the middle of Dragon Glade and without fences or walls, so that anyone can notice unusual action. Truly, this poses a great danger but also a challenge.

17, Hearthfire

Upon recieving the layout to Pyoris's Manor, I studied it in depth and noticed that there were multiple layers on the walls. The inner layer is made of ebony and even the dimmest of a Nord knows that ebony holds great magickal potential. I discussed with Renil about the matter and he agreed to aid me. He may not be much of a leader, but certainly capable of sneaking about even on lighted surfaces. We shall proceed tomorrow to the vault.

28, Hearthfire

A disaster.

We had found two keys and got into the chamber and I threw a blind spell at the house guard inside the vault but someone, most likely Pyoris himself, had woken up and noticed that no key was by his bed. Alarm was screamed for and the other three guards came directly towards us. While Renil was holding the door, I looted the jewellery and picked the lock of the chest. Inside I found two brilliantly forged glass pauldrons that were partially covered in a leather wrapping. Not in a situation to start wearing them, I rushed to the door and took cover in the open side of the door.

Renil was hidden behind the door that the guards opened, and one of them rushed straight through. Before he had a chance to take a look at me, I slipped through the door past him and got to the ledger room where two other guards stood, guarding the entrance. I backed to the wall and the guards attacked at once. Jinkblade did the trick for the first one and the distraction gave me just enough time to dodge the other guard's immense slash. On the stairway up, Pyoris was waiting, already equipped a wakisashi and some kind of amulet in his hand. I turned around, threw my lock spell at the vault door and cast invisibility. I bumped into Pyoris along the way, but he did not have time to react as I ran as fast as I could. I transported to safety with a help of Recall when I left the ebony boundaries of the house.

It seems that the pauldrons are enchanted in some way to hold the puzzling smith's work. Never before have I seen such pauldrons. Solid without the glass spikes holding the structure together.

I'm certain of the power of my spell. It will hold the guards and Renil inside until a true master like Ekash is summoned to Dragon Glade. I doubt he would bother paying a visit to such an unimportant town on such a trivial matter.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

!

Post by Earl »

(Separate post for a different idea)

From Zombie's post - You learn Dalgor's Shackles (Lock 100pts, touch) from this book.

I was thinking something along these lines. . .
This is the Spellbook project. We've got a pretty good idea what's going to go on with these books. That is, we've discussed Intelligence requirements, rarity of texts depending on power of effects, and that kind of thing.

So, while we all know that we're writing stuff for specific effects, who is going to determine the specific spells learned, and at what stage (eg when) will all the details for the books be ironed out? How much testing is going to go into making sure play is still reasonably balanced?

I would have said that it should be left to the author of a story to make suggestions about specific spells, Intelligence requirements, and rarity. But I'm not sure about it now; I don't think anyone has a handle on what requirements and rarity would strike a nice balance. Rarity and INT should somewhat balance eachother out - books with high INT requirements could be more common, simply because no one would realize that there was something to be learned. How rare and how high the requirement is would largely be based on the power of the spell learned, and I still do think that the author should have some input there.

To clarify:
Jeff claims effect.
Jeff writes book.
Jeff suggests a specific spell with a specific effect that the book will teach.
Jeff, Steve, Jane, and Dale figure out what that spell means in terms of rarity and Intelligence requirements.
Spellbook done.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Sweet! We got the older stories back! Woot!

Well, Earl, the original plan was to make the books give you just a very basic form of the spell effect. Like Firebite for fire damage or Ondusi's unhinging for open.

This is certainly subject to change, though. I agree with you that not everyone has a grip on rarity and balance requirements. And, I also think that, for as rare as some of these books will inevitably be, it would be cooler to have a unique spell (a lower cost, more efficient spell) for many of the higher-end books. Of course, it wouldn't make sense for these unique effects to be found in common books, like the Restore Health or the Fire Damage, since these would have been long since learned by all the province's mages who would then sell them.

Hmm. I just noticed a little problem. We now have 2 (count'em, two) lock stories. Here is what I propose: Both books will exist in the game. Zombie's version gives his suggested 100 lock spell, while Arcadea's version will give a different level lock spell by a different name (of his choosing). Since Arcadea's spell will be less potent, his version will be slightly more widely distributed, depending on how powerful his lock spell is. How does this sound to you, Arcadea?
Last edited by Lord_Gallant on Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

I don't care as long as we have plenty of new books for me to read. try 50 point. Here's an idea. take out the word man and add in Undoushi's. The name of the 50 point lock spell. That can be what is learned. I spelled the name wrong though. I belive that will work.
Last edited by Arcadea on Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I said I would return and I may have been right. The past must stay in the past as agreed. If the core needs me or has a job for me just ask for now I watch and write.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Do you want to name it?
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

Read my edit and use his name as the name.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Ondusi, right? That is the 50 point Open spell, not the Lock. Are you sure you want to use that?
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

No. I wasn't thinking Right. I'm trying to write a paperr and work on TR at the same time si i mnay get a little confused.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Happens to the best of us :). Real life is always getting in the way...
Last edited by Lord_Gallant on Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

yes. Do you now who is in charge of Tel Ouada

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Ah, no I don't. I haven't been keeping up with a lot of the Map 1 claims.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

It's on map one. Thanks that will help.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

All I know is that the former master was killed by the current one for the position. The new Tel Ouada master moved the Tower to the other side of the river. I have no clue what the name of either person is/was.

Is this the name you want on the spell?
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

No i was woundering who built the town the modder. I kinda need to download it for another review I'm doing. Clever created it by the way. name I don't realy now.
Last edited by Arcadea on Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Well, Zombie's story takes place mostly in Lord Indoril Pyoris' Manor, which is supposed to be in Dragon Glade. So Zombie's book could be used for Morrowind province, while Arcadea's isn't region-specific, so could be used in any of the other provinces.

Uh. . . And just out of curiosity, is there such a manor in Dragon Glade? Or is that claim not done?

And was "Ondusi's Closed Door" the kind of spell name you were going for?
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

wee could do that if Lord gallant nows how to create a new spell.

Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

The new Tel Ouada master should be named 'Mistress Rathra' as Kevaar created this name in her book (see Books of Tamriel). Don't know if that is a correct name but sounds convincing to me though...
Read the Books of Tamriel @ http://geowulf.tamriel-rebuilt.org

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
- Bosmora, warehouse and indoor market
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

I know how to create new spells, that is not a problem. If everyone wants a unique spell in their spellbooks than it shouldn't be a big deal. I just need to know exactly what the spell does, its name, the cost, etc.

As for Pyoris's Manor, I believe Zombie requested that Kothloth build such a manor before he wrote the story. Whether he did or not is beyond me.

BTW, thanks for the info on Rathra, Geowulf.
Pyroid

Post by Pyroid »

New spells youcan make it TESCS. But what about new spell effects? Are those possible to make?

For example, summon wolf, or summon bear, or summon werewolf, or summon reikling, or goblin, or anything that you want? Could you make a spell effect for levitate that used the swimming model instead of that gay platform walking one? Or a new anim entirely that looked like Peter Pan flying ? (:tongue:)
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Ehm, those are more difficult. You actually have one extra spell effect to play with, and two extra summoning effects. Once these are used, you can not make any more spell effects. Also, you have to build a script to allow your new effect to do anything (except the summons). I have used the extra effect for necromancy mods, tests for npc soultraps and others. I also played with the extra summons and made a Summon Ogrim spell, since it didn't exist in the game.

In short, yes, you can, but only a limited number of them.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

I feel a bit disorganized, the claim list on the second page notwithstanding.

I'm going to do something about that.
Should be ready in a few days.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Sent e-mails out to check up on Zombie and jon.
Since Zombie's Lock was so good, and jon had some claims from the old board.

Zombie says he still pays attention to TR, and likes the idea of it, but is very busy in real life. Might write a bit more if he finds the time, but makes no promises.

jon, I just sent to.

Arcadea, are you still up for your claims? Absorb Attribute, Absorb Health, Absorb Magicka, Absorb Skill, Almsivi Intervention, Calm Creature, Calm Humanoid, Fire Damage, Levitate, Resist Fire, and Shield? 11 seems like a pretty tall order for a guy who's looking to scale back.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

You weren't on the old boards were you.\? The reasen I came to this project was to write so If i scale back it won't be on writing.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Pyroid quit, right? I think I should reopen his claimed effects. And we are still waiting on Dakkan. I'll PM him and see if his still wants his Summon Flame Atro.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

Yes I waiting on him to transfere his files to me but he hasn't?

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Dakkan says he'll post his Summon Flame Atro story tonight. Until you get Pyroid's stories, Arcadea, I will have to reopen his claimed effects. He said he was forgoing modding altogether, so I don't think he intends to work on them.
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

Ok, I already got my rough draft for my story, I am just going to type it quickly here for people to see and make suggestions.

Kindled Fire

"No, no, no! your doing it all wrong!"Cried the exasperated teacher. "Foolish child! What have I not taught you?! Your arm movements are all wrong, you must change your stance, and your not even pronouncing the spell correctly!
The student's name was Ayron, and was as frustrated as his Telvanni teacher. Ayron had the privlage of private lessons from his father, who had the local librarian well paid for it.
"If you want to summon anything you need to do it absolutly correct or you may lose control of it!"
Ayron despised these daily sessions of hell, but it only drove him to try harder to escape his class.

Graduation

After years of learning, studying and putting up with school, his final lesson was upon him. Ayron and his teacher were out in the feilds, and all ayron had to do to graduate was to summon a fire Antronach.
"you may begin"said his teacher.
Ayron easily cast his spell and the antronach was at his command, binded to his thoughs and actions. But something went wrong. The antrorach turned and started toward his teacher. Ayron watched horrified, as he tried to stop the spirit, but to no avail. His teacher, clearly seeing he lost control, started his attempt to dispel the beast, but as if it knew what he was planning to do, he was hit with a fireball, knocking him off-balance. Searing pain roared through him as he gazed at his hands, slowly dripped off melting flesh. He then looked up, and the last thing he saw before his eyeballs dissolved convinced him he was dead.
After ayron saw his teacher killed, the Autroach turned and clearly gave him a "what next" look...

[this journal entry was stolen from Master Ayrons journal at a effort to relise how cruel he really is]

There are about 100 misspelling here, especially autro, which I will look back and respell right.sry for how long it took, life sucks for me right now.
Last edited by Dakkan on Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Day-kin)
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

From Zombie:

(Light 20pts, duration 120s)

A prayer to Azura

As the time twists through the sphere of the sun
conceiving the doing of all souls
pray it not be Mehrunes Dagon
to reap the harvest you have sown

But on the the grimmest of days when all has been
taken,
let hope never be forsaken.
Invoked through Nirn's fiery night,
kneel upon the shrine of Azura
and let there be a glimpse of light.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Sorry about my absence, there. Thanx for the Summon Flame story, Dakkan! Although, I do wonder at the use of the word "hell", since such a place doesn't exist in this world. Perhaps "torment" or something could replace this? Also the last sentence in "[]" was a little hard to understand. Maybe rephrase it?

Light and Summ. Flame Atro. are now marked COMPLETE.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Some issues with Dakkan's story:

1) It's presented as Aryon's journal, but it's in the third person. Journals are almost as a rule written first person.
2) It switches between third person and third person omniscient:
Ayron despised these daily sessions of hell, but it only drove him to try harder to escape his class.
-In this, we know Aryon's state of mind.
Ayron watched horrified, as he tried to stop the spirit, but to no avail.
-Later, it is suggested that the Atronach acted at Aryon's command.
3) There's a large passage of time unaccounted for. I'm a student, now I graduate. There could be a note like
[The intervening entries are of little note]
4) Opinion: As far as Telvanni go, Aryon is a pretty decent guy. Really only Divayth Fyr is nicer. He might not always have been a relatively good guy, sure.

In it's present state, it would work better as "NPCname Slanderous Note". Though considering Telvanni morality, being accused of killing your teacher probably wouldn't be slanderous.
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

Ok, I will make some of those fixes Earl.

1.) you must remember It was TAKEN from his journal. That doesn't mean it is the exact copy, maby the person just wanted to work out what really happen , like the Detectives shows, they rework it out like it happened. I just might change it a little to look like that.

2.) I seem to fail to see what is wrong here, explain more?

3.) Ok, I will add that.

4.) All i can say to that is their is always a darker side of us all...
(Day-kin)
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

In parts, it's as if the reader knows what Aryon is thinking.
Later, it's only suggested that he used the Atronach to kill his teacher. That is, we don't know what he was thinking.

It's almost a mixture of the first and second of these examples.
The last is more of a journal.

[third person omniscient]
The teacher smiled with pride at his pupil. Though young, he found himself quite impressed with the student's progress. The student, on the other hand, felt frustrated that his studies were not progressing faster. As he thought more on it, the student began to believe that the teacher was purposely stifling his education, as not to be outshined by one so youthful.

Or...

[third person]
The elder smiled down at his youthful apprentice. Though few of years, the child had managed to progress rather quickly by any standard. However skilled, though, the child was touched by an arrogance, a sureness in his ability, that others cited as a reason for his unpopularity.

Or...

[first person]
The fool smiled at me, lips turning upward in delight. Days ago, I would have thought that happiness was due to my own progress in the magickal arts. But having had time to mull over it further, I know the hidden reason for my master's joy. In truth, I've begun to suspect that he smiles because he knows the pace of my education isn't what it could be. I'm picking things up much more quickly than he feeds them to me! I've mastered skills and had time to nap before he decides to dole out dribs and drabs of further information!
Last edited by Earl on Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

This is gonna be another long one.
Here's the first part, which is about 6.3 KB.

(Burden)
Weight of Guilt
By Fuchon Cire

It was deep in the month of Second Seed when a messenger brought a letter to my residence in
Greenheart, which lies at the southern end of Valenwood. I presume similar letters were sent out
to my various other residences, though considering the sharpness of the Emperor's eyes and ears,
I would be not at all surprised to find that my location would be common knowledge within
certain circles. At any rate the package was from near the heart of the Empire, a town just to the
south of beautiful Cyrodiil itself. Breathless, the young messenger boy explained that the matter
was of the utmost urgency, and I should, in all due haste, set sail for the capital.

Upon unsealing and digesting the contents of the letter, I was much of the opinion of the youth.
Given that the request for aid was issued by a member of the Blades, it was clearly not a small
trifle. While it is true that I do have associations within that group, and had worked alongside
them, as well as for them in the past, it is my experience that they typically like to keep things "in
house", so to speak. That they had contacted me suggested that they had arrived at a dead end, in
terms of their investigations.

Ship rocking gently in Topal Bay on the way to my destination, I reread the package again,
familiarizing myself with the case. It seems that in this town, certain citizens were being
murdered at the rate of about two per week for three weeks. When the killer struck the nephew of
a Blades member, and that organization became heavily involved. Between the combined forces
of the Blades and local law enforcement, little headway had been made.

The author of the correspondence wrote that Intervention spells were not used, for after the first
incident the nearest shrines were monitored, and there were no teleporting travelers at the times
of the next few murders. The possibility that Recall was being used could not be discounted, but,
the letter argued, some thought the killer might enjoy watching the chaos he'd left in his wake. I
shook my head sadly, folded the letter back up, and placed it in my pocket.

After we made landfall, I was greeted by Kevius Altenian. The excitable fellow was somehow
under the impression that I would have solved the case on the boat ride over, but that I had failed
to draw any solid conclusions from the rather vague note did not seem to shake his confidence.
He happily reached into his own pocket to pay a carriage to take us the remaining distance to the
village.

In town, Kevius led me to a nondescript two story house, which was, he said, the site of the
first murder, and was currently serving as their headquarters of the investigation. The downstairs
area contained four heavily armed and armored soldiers - Imperial Legion, by the designs - and
two more common-looking individuals - Blades. The Legionnaires visibly bristled when we
entered, but a scarcely noticeable gesture from one of the Blades assured them all was in order.
Normally, the Legion would be absent in such a case, but as with the Blades the killer had also
struck the relative of a high-ranking Legionnaire.

"Breton." The Blade greeted me casually "Let us survey the upstairs, hear your opinion, and
we shall see if you've wasted a trip." He led the way to a staircase, down a short hall, and to a
door. Knocking on the door, he said "Protectorate, you have a visitor." The door opened on a
scene of carnage the likes of which I have rarely had the misfortune of seeing.

Once upon a time, the room had clearly been something to behold. A sturdy bookcase lined one
wall, opposite a large bed. Intricate designs had been carved into the wood of both, as well as the
nightstand. A third wall, the one opposite the window, bore several pegs that would have held up
a marvelous tapestry. Either during or after the killing, much of that had been laid waste. The
bookcase was fractured, part of it leaning against a wall, another part wholly collapsed to the
floor. The books it had held were strewn about the room, and were also partially shredded. Many
loose pages had become stuck to the floor, as the blood soaking them had dried. The incredible
craftsmanship displayed in the carvings similarly found itself obscured with blood, where it had
not simply been scratched into unrecognizability. The window had but a few shards of glass left
in it. As for the tapestries that once decorated the wall, they lay in hard, blood-dried piles on the
floor. Even so, one could see where they had been torn. Remembering the package I'd been sent,
I realized that this scene was three weeks old.

"Anything you'd like to add?" asked the Protectorate. When I nodded, the fellow seemed
shocked.

"First of all, the victim likely knew the killer. Secondly, the killer used the window as his means
of egress. Thirdly, the killer is in excellent physical condition, perhaps unnaturally so. And as a
corollary, I do not believe any fortification spell was used - you're looking for someone genuinely
powerful." I paused, considering, "I may be able to deduce more, if I am allowed access to other
scenes preserved similarly, and if I am allowed access to the bodies, assuming that they have not
yet been disposed of."

The Protectorate and Blade shot each other surprised looks. "I wouldn't mind getting a further
opinion from you." the Blade said, "As to the first of your requests, the sites of the two most
recent attacks have not yet been too much disturbed."

"The first murder, and the last two? What of the other three sites?" I inquired.

"One was at the inn, and the owner thoroughly cleaned the room in question. Can't rent out a
slaughterhouse, he told me. The remaining two took place in homes occupied by families. Vile
enough that children must be raised fatherless, but to make them live mere feet away from the
undisturbed scene asks too much."

"And the bodies?"

"That may prove a touch more difficult. Three have been cremated, one buried. The last two -
which are indeed the last two - are currently in the possession of a necromancer. Legally, they're
her property, so you'll have to talk it over with her."
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Oh, I absolutely can't wait to hear the rest of this story! I'm guessing vampire!
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Another one from Zombie:

// This book teaches you Reflect (40pts, 60s)

To entangle a dream

To merrily race with my Mer brethern endlessly
feel, touch and see their faces flushing of joy,
sprung by surrounding peace
on the vast fields of Grazelands.

Wielding no sword nor thoughts of a wicked mind
we sing and dance for the glory of our gods
Red Mountain at peace and Vos yonder
passing time, mile by mile, there shall we arrive
and stay for the night, gayly drinking flin
remembering to whom we bind.

The night travels through my memories of passed day
all emotions I vividly see, arranged to a fitful scene
perfect moments of time slowly flowing by.
Passing by Nchuleft, the glorious Dwemer House and a noble whom we met
he returns again, in a shape yet to be defined, stealing thoughts and
touching my mind
in the way of a warm tidal wave.
Ashkhans rise from their seats of power and set me free
their aeon-old legends move me subtly and forcefully
reminding me of reality.

A journey between this Magusian haze drawing to its end;
new images blazing, colliding and striving to live
fantastic scenes flying away from Azura's grasp
all in vain, as the sunlight caresses my eyes
waning dreams away.

If ever were this dreammare broken,
be it hunger, tiredness or even Silence
there shall still be no fear
for I would let Vivec's mercy guide us home.

I wake up back in my vision to realize a new day never came
no cheerful music, people or sunlight around, only silence
I stand, cry and wake again, only to face the same view
as endless peace in Tamriel has shattered to broken promises
and dreams for a better day.
Merging with the void its secrets are revealed -
breathe gently and touch the dew of life.

All around rats, vermai and raving madmen flow,
in a battle to find space.
The world has turned its tides in one short twist of fate
Alas, there is just me, attempting to hide my face.

And to conjure and caress the planes that could have been
the ones divided with disputes and those where peace reigns free
And all the unrealized chances thrown asunder
Oh! it makes my mind numb of lost feelings and lives
to witness this enchanted play of shadow and shimmer
But lost in the realm of Akatosh I cannot survive
So enticed here, reflecting the pain away I wait
for the time to end
with fate forever sealed.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

How do you stay in touch with Zombie? And why isn't he posting on these forums?
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

E-mail. I went to the old forums, and found a yahoo address in his profile.
As for the other question: Lack of time.

If you're curious, I haven't gotten a response from jon. I got an e-mail address for him by going to the old forum, downloading his TESScript2HTMLv1.3 program, and looking in it's readme.

Another from Zombie:

The idea goes like this:

"Magnus, the god of magic is actually nonexistent in any physical form, but
that doesn't stop me from using him as a vessel for this poem, because one
could claim that magic itself is Magnus, and it is divine indeed. So the
speaker might not be Magnus, but its wielder has to be very powerful for
this particular spell and thus has to be one with Magnus. (Well, to be
honest, I haven't been very strong on magicians, so if the values for this
spell don't actually require very much power, please raise them.)"

// This book teaches Drain Magicka (60pts for 120 secs on target, 10ft)

Reverence

Honor lurks, searcing for a fold to settle in
forming a pattern midst thorns and fertile trees
a bond between new and old, eager to follow your whim
Never has one seen such a thing that values nothing
yet you, indeed, show no signs of anything redeeming
What foul demon has lured you in?

There is nothing to learn or a vision to see
for you have forged a seal on thine destiny.
Why should even critter look at you, begging glare in its eyes
if your soul is a black damp, a pit of no feelings?
A god's wrath shall you soon suffer, sharply and swiftly.

So spoke Magnus himself, descended into another form
Seldom other beings of deific powers interfere with the mortal plane
but alas, he revoked the force of life from the offender within
glaring of radiant fury, and not in the slightest giving the tricks in.
only later the scornful man found out grim doings to him.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

I haven't been able to get in touch with jon either.

That drain magicka spell would probably drain more of the caster's magicka than the target!

Is the quote there part of the book or is that from Zombie?

BTW, how is Burden coming along?
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

Here's a preview I want to know what you think before I continue.

Calm Humaniod

Silver walked down the hall. He had been summoned by the king and so it must be that he arrives courtly and on time. He was in the imperial palace in the Province Cyrdiil. He has the head librarian of his majesties library. He had now idea to what the king wanted but he new that he was needed. He walked down the hall even more looking here and their at the statutes of long dead heros. They had been at a battle now forgotten yet he new. It was the battle to bring Skyrim under foot. He stopped for a moment to look at the Statue of Arom Gallant. He remembered all to well this one’s story. He would recall it to memory another time for he would be late ans so hurried of to the kings chamber. He walked in to see the king. He bowed and stepped forward as announced by the court herald.

“Supreme Head Librarian, Blade Information broker, court Advisory to the king, Silver Wing.â€Â￾ yelled the Herald

“Silver. I asked you here for I have an asighnemt for you. Your are to head to Morrwind immediately.â€Â￾ Sated the King

“My lord. Morrowind. Why would you have me go thier?â€Â￾ Asked Silver

“Go. Head to the City of Black Light. There is a library that needs to be open. I want you in charge. Also I want you to research and find information out about the factions in that province. Go now.â€Â￾ Said the King

“Yes my lord.â€Â￾ Said Silver and he walked out the door. The rest of the day he made plans for his travel to Morrowind. Later in the evening he went to a local tavern to meet friends. He walked in and saw them sitting at a table in the back. First their was Garin a fellow imperial and a traveler of the lands. He had a Daedra Dia Kantana on his belt and wore simple cloths. The next was Gargon. He was a thief and rogue he made trouble for himself and was wanted for questioning in Vivec by Ordinaters for something he did. The last at the table