Dun Akafell

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

no need for a second person, I got this... the only reason there was no progress before was due to the lack of time due to exams, now I have all day to do this kinda stuff
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

We can only wait for the meshes to get done, then we can start. Someone has to make the first large cave area for which Majra is making the mesh now. When that one is finished the ruins inside it can be claimed.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

A first shady glimpse of how the ruins will look. The first cave mesh is finished by Majra, and here is an example of how it should look with lighting and fog. Of course there won't be Hlaalu buildings, but that's just to show the size and how buildings look inside the cave. The buildings inside will be in the style of the OM Temple, unfound anywhere else. Majra is modelling those.

Majra also proposed that there should be some kind of lighting that you can turn on. I don't know exactly how we should do it, but it should seem possible since there is also street lighting in Mournhold, there could also be some kind of ancient lighting here.

Anyway, as always, comments welcome (remember it's very much work in progress, so try to imagine what it will look like, then give comments)! It's dark, but it should be. It's very deep underground - it's probably darker in game then on the shot (I adjusted brightness, contrast and gamma a bit).

[img]http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/vegor/DunAka.jpg[/img]
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Maybe a series of torch lights or something that the PC can "relight" and they will all light, like they are connected or something. Looks good BTW.
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

looks good ..when will be explored with one torch and fighting enemies will be really a test ....
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Yea I don't really mind dark actually, it can add more to the atmosphere and more point to having things that cast light with you.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

heres one of the flatroof manors for Dun Akafell, Im still tryin to come up with a good concept for the lower floor(window and door wise)

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

it looks very good Majra...
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

Yes ajra, it looks great.

Wait, we're not using Hlaalu, are we? Because it looks like those are Hlaalu buildings, yet it does look great Vegor.

I would like to do the main city also, so save a piece for me :D . Those topsides will be done soon.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

his screenie, was only to show the scale of the cave in comparison to buildings, the buildings we will be using will be in the above style :)

Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Argh! Read my post, Legolas, before replying :wink:

I said Haalu is just to demonstrate the scale - if there's nothing inside there's no way to see how big it actually is. We will be using Majra's freshly yet to-be modelled building set, in the style of the manor he has a picture from.

Btw to avoid any misunderstandings: This is just a test with lighting and fog on how it can (and in my opinion should) look. It's nothing final, and it's just something I threw together in 5 mins. So don't think this has anything to do yet with the final look, it's merely a glimpse into the atmosphere it should have. And of course it is to demonstrate the size of the ruins and the new cave mesh Majra modelled.

And it's fine with me that you do the main area Legolas, as long as you post how you will do it so we can discuss it, rather than you deciding it on your own. The first city part (of which this is the mesh) most probably be a plaza with some manors and a main building of some kind (palace perhaps). Then there'll also be smaller cave meshes with residential and commercial districts.

I'll come up with the whole city plan if that's fine with you guys (dividing the city into about 5 cave meshes of which the plaza will be the central, first and largest). If that's done, we can decide who does which area. I'd like to do the plaza area, but I can also settle with one of the others if someone else really wants to do the plaza area.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

ok, heres two manor meshes done, the doors and possible, broken windows, regular windows will all be seperate meshes to be made later, this is so the city layout can be made, my next manor will be an L shape I believe, anyways, here it is
the meshes go into a folder called dun_ak and textures in the base texture folder

Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

Man, I wish I could start on the manor section, but I'm using someone else's computer and they don't want me downloading a ton of stuff, but I have managed to get Tribunal on so I'll be able to finish those topside ruins. It's hard to get any work done here though, ever since I showed my cousin Morrowind he keeps hogging the computer. He's been playing for days and he's still wandering around in Fort Pelgiad trying to stab people, but I'll try as hard as I can to do them.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

HOLD UP!!!
It's probably far too late by now, but I think the style you are using would be godly-perfect for hammerfell or elsweyr cities; not dun akafell. Your buildings would have to be more "pointy" in my opinion; all the OM buildings i've seen (in tribunal) are slightly conical or pyrmidal in shape; or based off those two shapes.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

As far as the city goes, are these five sections going to be it? Or could seperate manors perhaps have sunk deeper then the rest? I would be interesting to have a few of these manors just off from the rest, perhaps for different parts of the quest.

I think that the buildings look great, but we could use some with the rouned tops on them like in Mournhold. Also, I am not sure, but walls could definatly be used, although we might have something for that already from Tribunal, I haven't gone through them much yet.
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

It is based off the temple of OM. If you look, it looks like Dome of the Rock, which is Hammerfell, but apparently also this.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

I will be working on domed structures soon, these are just residential buildings

Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

It does resemble the Dark Brotherhood buildings though right? are those part of what we are using?
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

well when I made these buildings I looked to certain things, first, the architecture was probably close to velothi, which used older techniques of building it seemed, more brick/mud construction style, which leaves for less ability to make drastic architectural forms. Then I looked at new mournhold architecture, mostly for texture than shape, because again brick can not be shaped in the way that Indoril arch is. Then for textures I looked at the color patterns being used in Almalexia's cities around this time(by looking at old mournhold)

And this is how I came to this architecture, there will be domed structures, but again, domes at this time would have been seen as a pretty big deal I think, no commoner, or even upper class would have houses with domes, these will be designated to the temple, the palace(which is more of a council hall since this was not a capital), and maybe a commercial district main building

Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

new building, not a flatroof... well sorta, but not really

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hi. Majra informed me of your guyses situation. im in the middle of making some of the underground mushrooms. they have a long stem and numerous heads growing out of it (to collect the max amount of light) and lots of long fibers (to collect moisture). ill post pics if i can or if u want me 2. i dont have a name so try to think one up for me. tell me what u think. thnks.
sxotty
Developer

Post by sxotty »

Hey guys I have a question.

Can you make it rain in a cave? And if so do you think you could make it look good? I was thinking how stalactites and so forth are formed by water and that it would be cool to have water "dripping" through the cave (but obviously rain instead). Not to mention the rain effect on the water if you have good water turned on looks great.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

not sure, I'll allow someone else to respond to that, but heres another mesh, this one has a dome, yay

Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

A more accurate way of how the city will look. The plaza isn't done yet, but the buildings around it are mainly where they will be when it's done. Meshes are looking great, and it kind of reminds me of a cursed Vatican :) .

[img]http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Vegor/DA2.jpg[/img]

About the rain: It can easily be done. Since Tribunal it is possible to make interiors behave like exteriors and region can be set; so rain can be done as well. However, I don't think it'll be realistic. There should be drops from stalagnites but not enough to cause a real rain-like effect. We'd probably have to settle for sound effects of drops.
sxotty
Developer

Post by sxotty »

I am not trying to be a pain, but some caves actually do have water in them that is in the quantity of rain, however the thunder and lightning that goes along with rain in the regular game would sound/look terrible to say the least :) .

It was just an idea that would fit well with a dank cavern especially if one had a lake in it or something.

P.S. I thought of the thunder lightning thing only after I suggested it originally that is really too bad.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Now I could easily say there's no way to add rain without thunder and the discussion would be over :).

But to be honest, Rain and Thunder are different whether types, so we could make our own region with only rain. I don't know how it would fit the cave-atmosphere though. The Behave Like Exterior was made for Tribunal-like interiors (by that I mean Mournhold 'exteriors' which are interiors), that would mean it also has a 24-hour day/night cycle. That's wouldn't fit the cave, however I have never used the BLE before so I am not sure how it really works. My guess is however that the 24-hours cycle can't be disabled, therefore we can't use it. Someone else might be able to give more clarity on that though.
Rishanor

Post by Rishanor »

What can be done is an overly moist cave, by adding a fog effect. Combined with darkness, that would make a sppoky impression + adding stealth for the spooky critters in there
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

I've already worked out some nice settings on the lighting/fog part. Doesn't show really good on my last screenshot (view distance too high I'm afraid), but it shows on the one before that. It gives a good creepy-foggy-wet effect.
sxotty
Developer

Post by sxotty »

Well I am glad you told me anyway. Perhaps it will never work out well but it is still an idea to keep in mind, perhaps in a cavern that has a waterfall for example rain/mist or whatever. Perhaps even it would be possilbe to create a special weather type with thing slower rain and shorter streaks (so it looks more like drops) in addition to getting rid of the day nite cycle, but it sounds like a very tall order and something that should not be tackled since it will only slow down the progress of more important things.
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

Finally, I have internet again! A nice small break for playing some of my older games like Medal of Honor and Battlefield 1942, but I'm ready do work on this now. Just a small thing I have to do first for something else and I will help with Dun Akafell.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i cant decide on a head for the mushroom, so here are a couple shapes i made:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

pics of the textured mushrooms
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

oops wrong buttons:
Attachments
mushroom_TX2.jpeg
(6.69 KiB) Downloaded 1310 times
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

and another:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

wrong one again! grr...
Attachments
mushroom_TX2.jpeg
(6.69 KiB) Downloaded 1307 times
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

DANG!!!! i cant do anything right!
Attachments
mushroom_TX.jpeg
(5.87 KiB) Downloaded 1306 times
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

when you accidently post, please delete the old post before reposting, otherwise it makes our nice small thread, become a massive inefficient one

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Now that prometheus is gone, who'll be taking the lead for dun akafell?
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

hmmm, I think it is either Legolas' or Vegor's interior claim, so I figure he will get say on what occurs inside... but I think it is a lead by association now, Vegor is doin mostly cave *exterior work*(exterior but still an interior)
Legolas is focusing I think more on the actual interior interiors
And Im doin basic mesh looks and stuff
I wouldnt say anybody has "final say", because we discuss just about every decision
But I figure us 3 would be the ones to consult about things

Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

Dun Ak meshes are coming along well,
So far there is Unique

Streetlight post
Streetlight lantern
Manor1
Manor2
Manor_Tower
Domed Building1
and the Cave Main Room