Deleted thread

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

Can ubber charachters still jump over the walls into the center of the city?
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Hopefully not, as I am assuming that koth is going to make editor_marker_box_02's covering almalexia - making jumping high quite difficult. Levitation is also to be disabled, although to stop the player from turning on levitation outside of the city then flying in koth could also put those same markerboxes in an upright position, as a sort of forcefield.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

The script would take care of it. Besides, I think it's pointless to put too much effort into this anyways, since if the player is soooo desperate to see what's behind the walls, he can simply check it out in TESCS...
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Why was the clear-forcefield-dome-with-the-mock-Mournhold-underneath idea scraped? I really dislike the idea that you can't levitate outside of Mournhold.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Well, one of the best arguments is probably that a mock mournhold would take up FPS which is badly needed for the rest of the city. Also, it would be hard to make it look good anyways, because of the strange form of the city.
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

MAKING A UNNPENETRABLE INVISIBLE DOME SHOULD TAKE MUCH FEW FPS DRAIN THAN A GLOBAL SCRIPT IN EVERY CELL THAT DO NOT ALLOW LEVITATION....
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Bleh, it's the mock mournhold that would take FPS, not the invisible dome!
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

WHATS THE MOCK MOURNH?
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Making a copy of the buildings in mournhold inside the "mournhold" walls in almalexia.
Koth, you dont even need a script; just place those blue editor_marker_box_02 things over the city, and maybe disable levitation in the cells directly surrounding the city. This will solve it.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Yea, but the script seemed kind of neat since it wouldn't just create a wall, it would actually push the player back along with an explaination. It would probably seem a bit more realistic that way.
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

you can levitate in almalexia, you just cant go too high. i may, however, make a compromise between the two views. i shall add all of the statics (just single statics, no windows or doors, so that the player can levitate quite high before they are hit by the script. the city cannot be made properly ever, becuase Bethesda made the different sections of the city not fit together properly. but this compromise will not add anything to damage fps, but will silence most of the critics. obviously as with both my towns at the moment it will have to wait for two weeks until I can give you a finished copy, as I will be on holiday from tomorrow. but itll be worth the wait when its cleaned, scripted and ready to be put into map3!
M1ke
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

No thanks, the work needed for the exterior of Mournhold to even look remotly good is too much. It isn't simply to copy and paste the original mournhold, something will have to be made to make the overview look good aswell. I judge that to be a lot of work, and I don't want that now when Almalexia is one the verge to be finished. We'll simply use the script, invisible statics or whatever. Since it's just stupid to think there's a real mournhold inside the walls when you know it's an interior, and because the truth can be easily revieled through TESCS anyways, I think minimum effort should be put into this. Simply something that will stop the PC from accidently look over the walls is enough, due to me.
battle_bison

Post by battle_bison »

I agree with Koth. It's not possible to view Almalexia from inside Mournhold due to the anti-levitation magic, it's not a big deal if you can't do it vice versa for the same reason. Hopefully people will be able to deal with not levitating.
Turn Off Your Computer And Go To Sleep
Rishanor

Post by Rishanor »

Hmmm, what would happen if one levitates into the city (high up) and gets hit by the script?

Maybe it has been discussed already, maybe too much, but what about some kind of magical dome over the center of mournhold? One that allows to see the sky from the inside but blocks the view from the outside (as in the visual spell effect of Almalexia's anti-levitation spell). This way only the dome has to be constructed and some view-obstructing spell effect, while one may even fly over it.
Garinator

Post by Garinator »

um i just had an idea....
why dont we just lock all the entrances to the dungeon before the player gets attacked by the assasins so that tribunal wont get screwed up?
oh AND add the mok verison of mournhold to almalexia but block it off. Oh and make the gates openable. With these three aditions/changes everyone is happy ( i hope :roll: )

oh and sirwoot dont be a retard, u know wat i meant.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

garinator, what we are doing is not unlocking the gates until you teleport to mournhold. The thing is, its the dialogue that would be screwy-looking too (why your idea wouldnt work), and also the gates are locked because of almalexia's recent paranoia, not just because the developers didnt want you to leave mournhold.
Garinator

Post by Garinator »

The thing is, its the dialogue that would be screwy-looking too (why your idea wouldnt work)

not 2 sound like a newb or nething but why?

and also the gates are locked because of almalexia's recent paranoia, not just because the developers didnt want you to leave mournhold.

oh yeah sure sirwoot :lol: so whats your alternative if you just had mournhold. I.e wat would you do? im sure the devs DIDNT just make that up to excuse the fact that the didnt make the rest of morrowind
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

You would only need the basic statics, not every little detail. Basic statics don't even touch FPS, its all the little details, scripts, and NPC's that kill framerate. A mock Mournhold would only really need the major buildings and walls.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Garinator wrote:im sure the devs DIDNT just make that up to excuse the fact that the didnt make the rest of morrowind
Of course they made that up to excuse the fact they didn't make the rest of Morrowind. However, you see, we have a word for things the developers made up: LORE. It's something (you may have noticed) we generally don't contradict.
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Post by Marauth Alaí-Raán »

Pardon me for butting in but if I could offer my €0.02, the best solution I've seen recommended is the dome/shield that you can't see through from the outside, no mock Mournhold (as it wouldn't be visible through the dome/shield) and the gates would be locked untill after you've done the Tribunal quests. Plus an energy dome/shield thingy would look snazzy, possibly a similar visual effect to the Ghostfence when it was active?
Garinator

Post by Garinator »

yes nehron but this sort of lore was made up on the account of the devs lazyness not on the account that they wanted 2 make up sumthing cool
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Made up nothing! This lore is covered from every angle. It wasn't JUST made up because they didn't make the rest of Tamriel, which isn't really being lazy considering how much work it would take anyways.

Mournhold is a city in a city, and it is a holy city at that. It is the only place the High Ordinators reside, and it has Her Lady's Great Temple, along with the King of Morrowind. It isn't surprising that it is cut off from the rest of the world. The explination isn't off the wall, even if the Devs had made the rest of Tamriel I would imagine that Mournhold would be cut off anyways.

The gates should remain locked, even after the Tribunal MQ is done IMO.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Garinator wrote:yes nehron but this sort of lore was made up on the account of the devs lazyness not on the account that they wanted 2 make up sumthing cool
Laziness? You speak of the same devs who constructed Vvardenfell from scratch in the space of a few years! Tribunal was never meant to be a landmass expansion; making that much new land would've taken years more and detracted from work on TES IV. The expansion was a city only, with a very specific plotline -- there is no laziness in that. It was smart. Anyways, why are we arguing about this? All these ideas have been debated before, in this thread and in others. A decision has already been made. As I understand it, a solution was already implemented, with the support of the core. Further rhetoric on the subject is just wasted typing, I'm afraid.
Garinator

Post by Garinator »

err ok nehron the 3 years was spent making all the objects textures scripts game engines ect... NOT actually making vvardenfell. I bet making vardenfell probably took them around 6 - 8 months. I mean seriously a dedicated team of professionals who have been working with the cs since it was made and who are paid well.... theyre gonna get something as rudimentary as this done in a very short time arnt they. The rest of the morrowind province might have taken them a year, a year and a half tops. I would rather have had that then have bloodmoon personally....
Rishanor

Post by Rishanor »

Ok, the conversation is drifting offtopic.

Maybe it is time for a pro/con-list of the options?
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Post by Marauth Alaí-Raán »

I don't see the point in discussing the 'options' anymore, as has been said already a decision has already been implemented we are wasting our keystrokes by continuing to discuss this.

Oh and only 1 year was spent creating the CS, they say as much on the official site so 2 years actually making Vvardenfell and associated quests, NPCs, and scripts.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

yes, I feel it's time to get to the dirty work. Lets actually finish this thing guys. Can't have Morrowind without it's capital.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

*sigh*, you can't even be on vaction without this topic is discussed yet again...

Just leave this to the team. I'm sure we'll present a solution that will work well enough