Old Ebonheart

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

sirwootalot123
Developer

Old Ebonheart

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I thought I should make a new thread for this, as Old Ebonheart has been split in half - I am doing the Western Half (Main city, River Thir, Castle Praetoria); and haplo is doing the eastern half (Foxmoth Legion Fort, Ebonheart castle [district seat for Central Morrowind and residence of the Provincial Governor], docks).
So Far, I have almost finished detailing the city and am currently working on Castle Praetoria (which I actually know nothing about, and is being built by order of the core). I finished its courtyard, which I amazed myself with - its a blissful "zen garden" type setting, packed with flowers and MH trees.
The interior count in my half is about 60, 50 if you dont count towers.
I'll have screens up soon. Very soon.

Also, does anyone have a copy of the Dragon Statue avo1d made? I need the model, as it is also in my part of the claim.

Yinnie Edit: All Old Ebonheart discussion here. If thread starts to resemble spamming thread I will make a new one.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Nazz
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nazz »

An esp would be even better.
[url=http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831]Jon Stewart is my hero[/url]
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I cant put one up ATM, haplo is on vacation all this week. Also, I feel that I should get the look of the Praetorian Castle approved with yinnie and kothloth before I post any ESP.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

here's my new file. Sirwoot can you change the title to Old Ebonheart Claim - Sirwootalot & Haplo ? that way people won't keep going to both...
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
AlphaFemale

Post by AlphaFemale »

Could you guys post some screenshots? That would be a lot more convenient, since lots of people here don't always access this forum on a computer that runs the CS.
I won. Majra died and I laughed.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

we're getting them soon. There's not much to show though, unless you want to stare at a bunch of vertex shading and crates and junk. I'll try and get some up soon.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

AlphaFemale

Post by AlphaFemale »

I mean of the castle itself. I hope you guys would have put more than crates in Old Ebonheart...
Nazz
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nazz »

That one is messed up too. I keep getting an error about the archive's header being broken.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

what the crap!!! ack!!! it works for me!

AlphaFemale

Post by AlphaFemale »

I get the same error message about the broken archives. Have you guys run the cleaning tool on it?
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

i have the problem too.
Anywho, I can go pull out some screens of my half, which I am assuming is prettier than haplos.
I have MH trees of all sorts of big scales covering every last patch of non-cobblestone road, but without any leaves going through buildings of course.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

no I haven't used the cleaning tool. Where do I get it, anyway?

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Status report - 13 Towers, and 23 regular Interiors. Castle Ebonheart totalled 18 Interiors. So we have a total of 54 interiors on my half.

Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Careful with those trees. Look at the original Ebonheart to see how many trees should be inside each castle cell. In a city this size, you do not want there to be a zillion plants with their transparency effects all over chewing up frame rate like a fat man with beef jerkey.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

darnit! I'm 24 posts away from beating Sirwoot and being in the top 10 posters!

Oh, and I'm watching my half closely. I'm making it nice and shady, giving it the organic feel, but without causing a major fps drop. Or a minor one, either, for that matter.

Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Yes, well...
cou-mysignature-gh
That nonsense is probably the most insignificant aspect of any forum. They should change the name from "post count" to "spammer rating".
Anyways, when can we expect screenshots? I am getting my power supply back today for my good computer (the one with Morrowind and the CS installed), so I will be able to take a look at the file with that, providing I don't get the same error. But I would still like to see some screenshots. Old Ebonheart is the most important Imperial city in Morrowind, it deserves to have screenshots uploaded.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

well I'm about to upload some pix, but if you keep bothering me about it, you'll get nothing...NOTHING!!! MWAHAHAHAHAAAAA.....ok...

anyway, the post count isn't a spam meter, it's there to show roughly how active a member is. If they have over 200 posts, they're active, and they aren't a new member. If they have under 100, they're somewhat active, or they are a very new. Catch my drift?

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

ok picture time. I got two pictures. one of the docks, and one of a little private garden. Neither a completely finished. I hope...

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

here's the second one:

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

haplo, that style isnt consistent with mine. The MH trees need to be 2X scale, with normal scale trees underneath, then a bunch of 2X scale tree_MH_02's. It seems that in your gardens there are no trees. Also, ONLY use planters in the areas where there isnt grass, and sweetbarrels dont grow that far north.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

they do in my guy's carefully cultivated and magical garden :-P no matter what you lore guys say...Magic makes it possible...or was it plastic...

I'll fix the trees. That part I wasn't sure about, cause you were doing it to, so I just had a bunch of trees thrown in and I was waiting for you to tell meh how you did yours.

And that's just a little bitty garden that some guy likes a lot and is taking good care of it. I'll put a tree in it if you want me to, but there isn't really that much room left.

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

exactly. the gardens should be practically un-walkable with plants AND ROCKS (you forgot that too), as the town is supposed to have a "neglected" feel to it. i'm even thinking on retexturing some BC_moss and vines to put all over the buildings and walls, to add to this neglected feel (the town's golden years are long gone, there's a newer ebonheart, the mine is almost depleted, etc).
I also think it would be awesome if we made a few of the houses and shops, maybe even towers, completely abandoned - with rats inside, stuff knocked over, cobwebs, moss, maybe even a vampire hiding in the cellar for a quest.
ooh! and maybe we could also have someone model broken windows! THAT would be awesome for the abandoned houses, and then we can add a mock version of the building across the street... i really should just request that right now.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

there already are broken window models out there, just do a search on MW Summit I think. Also, when are those blasted screens coming?

Nazz
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nazz »

Um I really doubt that Old Ebonheart is in that bad a shape. In fact there is no reason to think it is in bad shape.
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Post by Marauth Alaí-Raán »

Isn't Old Ebonheart the Imperial capital on Mainland Morrowind? Pardon my ignorance if it's not but either way just because the're another town - barely a town - on Vvardenfell called Ebonheart don't mean the originaly huge, prosperous city will suddently collapse on itself, Vvardenfell's only been open for settlers a couple of decades and the new Ebonheart can't possibly be considered competition for the Old
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Mournhold is the capital of Morrowind. Morrowind though is divided into several duchies, some of these are: Ebonheart, Narsis, and Kragenmoore. Old Ebonheart should be a little worse for wear now that the Duke has gone to New Ebonheart, but Old Ebonheart would not be totally decrepid (maybe a couple of abandoned houses and things, but not necessarily in a bad state)
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

k, scrap the broken window idea then.
I cant find my morrowind CD, so screenshots will come (in large numbers!) when I find it.
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Mongoloid Cow wrote:Mournhold is the capital of Morrowind. Morrowind though is divided into several duchies, some of these are: Ebonheart, Narsis, and Kragenmoore. Old Ebonheart should be a little worse for wear now that the Duke has gone to New Ebonheart, but Old Ebonheart would not be totally decrepid (maybe a couple of abandoned houses and things, but not necessarily in a bad state)
That's the Duke of Vvardenfell district, not Morrowind. Morrowind Province, is divided into six districts - Redoran, Dres, Hlaalu, Telvanni, Indoril and Vvardenfell, as I understood it, in this project someone decided along the way that each has an Imperial capital or headquarters alongside the Dunmer capital e.g. Firewatch and Port Telvannis for the Telvanni district. So if it's nothing more then shouldn't Old Ebonheart be at least the Imperial Capital for Indoril district?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

No Maurith(sp), said the IMPERIAL capital of Morrowind, as in the largest and most prominent IMPERIAL city in Morrowind, not the actual capital of Morrowind. Anyway, I disagree as well that OE is old and abandoned. I think it should be full of life no matter how old it is, seeing to the size and importance of it.

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

what i mean though is, decaying - as in its glory days are long past.
as in, they can smell their death at the hands of the nerevarine. :P (semi-sarcastic)
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Not really, there's nothing to suggest that Old Ebonheart's 'glory days' are long gone, it's still the administrative centre for the Empire in Morrowind, there's no way it could be past it's prime, we think the Empire will fall soon, but that's just our theory it may last another couple of hundred years, whatever the case Ebonheart is still a huge bustling city, even if the Empire leaves the Dunmer would just take it over for their own. Very good position for trade anyhow, right on that river (don't know name) that leads to other provinces.

Edit, well I know you can read my name next to my post but it's Marauth, no biggie.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Beth has long been hinting that the empire is falling and the Third Era is coming to an abrupt end (even when you start the game it says something like "In the waning years of the Third Era", and in other places the Third Era is refered to as something like the Era of the Empire) It is still a rich city, but it could still be in decay (even Athens and Rome almost dwindled to nothing during ancient times and the Middle Ages even though they were prestigious and in prime trade locations)
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

exactly. it is only in decay in the sense that the gardens are severely overgrown (it looks like the town is built into a forest) and that a few buildings are abandoned.
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Rome and Athens declined because they were of no political consequence, even if the Empire is in trouble, people won't just stop cutting the grass - oh no! The Empire's collapsing I'm not gonna trim my hedges! in the waning years of the Roman empire the big, political centres of the east only grew in decadence as Rome and Athens waned, Ebonheart is still the Imperial capital of Morrowind and as such it's unlikely people would want to leave. People don't believe that the Empire might collapse, the Dunmer might want it but as far as they're concerned all they have is pipe dreams right now. Would a dead and retreating empire be settling Solstheim and building forts there?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

nah they'd be planning to move the base of ops there and then when everyone is pouncing on the remains of the golden city, they spring up and murder them in their sleep, so only the faithful devout empire followers are left, and they move back to cyrodil, and now they have two bases of op! anyway... I've been working my tail off with adding junk to it...Gardens are almost complete though :)

Sirwoots having fun too. He and I are havnig just about non-stop discussion of OE whenever we're both online.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

now we await the core's decision on whether we must tear down the city and rebuild it indoril-style. It appears that it was originally an indoril town and was attacked by imperials...

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

yeah, if we do make it indoril though we will keep the 3 big castle-fort thingies and have them around the original indoril town. alot of it was supposedly burned to the ground.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yinnie says keep it the way it is, and she is anxiously awaiting your screens sirwoot :) (so she can rip them up ;))

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I gave her the screens this afternoon. If they work, here you all are.
G.M.K.

Post by G.M.K. »

I like all the trees in amongst the houses, gives it a more "open" feel compared to most cities.