Fate

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

BalinMinister

Fate

Post by BalinMinister »

Ok so ive talked it over with darnoc and it seems as if we will go forward with the idea if its alright with everyone...

The issue is that of fate, and its role within morrowind.....the concept in question is "If fate indeed exists, is it only logical to be resigned to it, or can it be manipulated by the actions of one or many? And if it can be manipulated, is that, in itself, indeed fate?"

This can be applied to morrowind in the following ways....the nerevarine prophesises and the elder scrolls to name a few...there are several people who have had the title of Nerevarine but indeed is it an alteration of fate (one's own actions) that makes one the "true Nerevarine"...or is it the PC's fate from birth? And of the Elder Scrolls...is is proven wrong in some instances and ever-changing because it is being influenced by the actions of important people and events or because fate itself dictates its path?

I dont think it is possible to compile all these institutions in one book because the the subjects are so sensitive that one can only know about one and not the other...however, with Morrowind delving into the culture of the ashlanders, i think it would be best to make this work from the perspective of a failed Nerevarine (ie. Peakstar) and consequentially descirbe this and other ashlander customs.....

Comments, opinions, suggestsions always welcome

PS: Sorry for not doing this in the correct format, but its still in the works and id like to have some suggestions on it....lore people please let us know what you think...its not been approved by Majra yet so it could be a mere idea for all i know

PPS: Perhaps a title could be "Failed Fortunes"
Bringing back the old school
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

alright, just make sure when you do write it to make it sound in game, not like modern or contemporary philosophy.... darnoc has a tendency of doin that :P
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
BalinMinister

Post by BalinMinister »

Any idea of other ashlander customs or a way to include other non-ashlander concepts to be incorporated?

-BM

PS: Ill do my best
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

whenever one is writing a lore book, my first suggestion is, keep it specific, when you make something broad, its either so obvious that no one cares, or a big lore risk

so make it specific, but connected and correct

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Darnoc

Post by Darnoc »

Good, then I need a lot of lore to read through. As you said, Balin, from the point of view of an Ashlander would be good. Are there any lore books anyone would recommend concerning Ashlander culture?
[url=http://www.xonder.at/cgi-bin/yabbserver/foren/F_0593/YaBB.cgi][img]http://mitglied.lycos.de/lothiel/ME/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
ThorFluff

Post by ThorFluff »

I am very intrested in these kind of things.
Would you please send me a copy when you'r done?
I could always give you my opinion, if not i would still enjoy reading it :)
Works in Progress:
i4-17-Red ; The Fine Clothiere
i4-16-Red ; The Bachelor Pad
Finnished:
Ironbane ; The disintegrate armor spellbook
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

you do know this is not claimed until someone gives me the specifics right? in the policy format

just making sure you dont do a bunch of work that might not be used if the idea is too far off or there is too big of a lore gap

BalinMinister

Post by BalinMinister »

Noted....im plumb not in the mood to work now so itll be some time before a proper proposal happens
Fallen Murk

Post by Fallen Murk »

BalinMinister wrote:...there are several people who have had the title of Nerevarine but indeed is it an alteration of fate (one's own actions) that makes one the "true Nerevarine"...or is it the PC's fate from birth?...
The very nature of the CP being able to choose to be the Nerevarine or not (backed up by the ashlander wise-woman saying "you are not the Nerevarine, but could become...") tells me that it's an open ended story. If there seems to be an inconsistency with the many plot of MW by my saying this, just remember all the failed Nerevarine souls (or "several people" as you put it above) you met in Azura's shrine - if you choose not to become the Nerevarine, then she'll just try again (and again and again).

Becoming the true Nerevarine is a relative term. My character took the title of Nerevarine, but to become named so from the Clans and Great Houses, in some cases, simply took a little bribing. Those people could care less who I was or what I call myself, as long as I lined their pockets. Because of this I can a strange feeling calling myself the "true" Nerevarine.

Short answer: It is one of your fates from birth to become the Nerevarine. Choices along that path can change which fates are free to follow and which are not.

Which segways to the next point...

...And of the Elder Scrolls...is proven wrong in some instances and ever-changing because it is being influenced by the actions of important people and events or because fate itself dictates its path?...
There is certainly influence from important people. The Emperor himself ordered your transport to Vvardendfell, release from prison and indoctrination into the Blades (which gave you access to information and people that started you on your way).

This may very well be why the B-boys say the Elder Scrolls are only viewable in small pieces and temporarily at that - it allows for some 'adjustment' to the parts of the scrolls you cannot see.
Good Hunting
Fallen Murk