Creature idea - Mimic

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Waffleman

Creature idea - Mimic

Post by Waffleman »

The Mimic comes from myth in Greece and Spain, it is the legend of a treasure chest (most of the time) that would attack and devour its victems as soon as the lid is opened, I dont have any Mesh making skills so this Idea is up for anyone, if anyone would like to work on this with me let me know,And we could use the current chest model in the game, we would have to add hinges that move and possibly teeth when open.
If im not back in five minutes, wait longer
<Some Ranyon Ruhn NPCs completed>
<Darconis Sewer-Submitted>
<Working on Necrom Interiors>
shandrazi

Post by shandrazi »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but check out the AD&D 3rd ed. Monsterous manual. The policy here is no non-lore D&D monsters. Although, there might be an exception since their idea was based off of an earth legend and its a cool idea.

I love the idea though. I would like to see some more stealthy thiefy like obstacles. Traps other than in a door or chest. Spike pits, crushing walls(would this work engine wise?), spring plates,non-traditional chest traps...
-Shandrazi Demonsbane

http://forums.tamriel-rebuilt.org/search.php
BalinMinister

Post by BalinMinister »

Its not out of the lore-realms...just take a look at the book "Chance's Folly"
There are plenty of references to traps for thieves...which i will quote here
She recognized the ancient snap-wire traps, deadfalls, and brittle backs before they were triggered, and cracked all manners of lock: simple tumbler, combination, twisted hasp, double catch, varieties from antiquity with no modern names, rusted heaps that would have been dangerous to open even if one possessed the actual key.
As she turned, the door closed between her and the Breton. On her side, it did not resemble a door anymore, but a wall. Walls beyond doors.
My predictions as to what these things are:
:arrow: ancient snap-wire traps- basically trapped chests like what we see in game but traps unknown to modern lockpicks/probes
:arrow: dead falls- ground caves under your feet and you fall into a pit
:arrow: brittle backs- same as above but a spiky pit instead or perhaps the traps where the spikes come out of the ground (i think it was in Sotha Sil)
:arrow: walls beyond doors- door-like objects that are actually walls (unopenable) from the inside
Bringing back the old school
shandrazi

Post by shandrazi »

BalinMinister wrote: :arrow: walls beyond doors- door-like objects that are actually walls (unopenable) from the inside
Wouldn't be too difficult. Just have them be two seperate interiors. Door on one side, marker on the other. You could even script a door so that once you go through it, it would disappear.

It would also be cool to have a small wall static that turned or rotated like an interior door. That way you could have rad castle secret passages.
-Shandrazi Demonsbane

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

the wall-door thing you described does, in fact, exist. there is one in the ebonheart castle for example.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
shandrazi

Post by shandrazi »

Sweet. I need to explore some more apparently.
-Shandrazi Demonsbane

The_Writing_Wraith

Post by The_Writing_Wraith »

In the Old Mournhold ruins I think there's a floor that isn't actually a floor and once you step on it you fall through to a lower level. There's a not nearby that explains it I believe.
In the 550's Byzantine Generals Narses and Liberius were winning battles into their 80's. Retirement programs, though no longer including raping and pillaging, have clearly improved since.
Waffleman

Post by Waffleman »

Dances in Fire, Chapter 5, I know here they are described as winged creatures as they are in real life legend, the name "mimic" came from the fact that they would take the form of treasure chests and ambush greedy grabbers. 8)
In frustration born of hunger and exhaustion, he struck the tree trunk. A sudden shiver of gold and red erupted from a hollow nook above, and Scotti was surrounded by six winged creatures scarcely more than a few inches long. Bright crimson eyes were set on either side of tunnel-like protuberances, the animals' always open mouths. They were legless, and their thin, rapidly beating, aureate wings seemed poorly constructed to transport their fat, swollen bellies. And yet, they darted through the air like sparks from a fire. Whirling about the poor clerk, they began chattering what he now understood to be perfect nonsense.

"Wines and worms, how far from the border am I! Academic garnishments, and alas, Liodes Jurus!"

"Hello, I'm afraid I'm unarmed? Smoken flames and the closest town is dear Oblivion."

"Swollen on bad meat, an indigo nimbus, but you needn't be afraid of me!"

"Why are you hiding? Why are you hiding? Before I begin to friend, love me, Lady Zuleika!"
Furious with the mimics, Scotti swung his arms, driving them up into the treetops. He stomped back to the clearing and opened up the satchel again, as he had done some hours before. There was still, unsurprisingly, nothing useful in the bag, and nothing to eat in any corner or pocket. A goodly amount of gold (he smiled grimly, as he had done before, at the irony of being financially solvent in the jungle), a stack of neat blank contracts from Lord Vanech's building commission, some thin cord, and an oiled leather cloak for bad weather. At least, Scotti considered, he had not suffered rain.
If im not back in five minutes, wait longer
<Some Ranyon Ruhn NPCs completed>
<Darconis Sewer-Submitted>
<Working on Necrom Interiors>