Map of Nirn

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

sirwootalot123
Developer

Map of Nirn

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Here's a map of nirn i've been working on. It's centered on akavir, and is a "square map" (meaning that the planet would look quite a tad different).

It was originally supposed to be a map of akavir only, but there was so much room around it that I decided to make the rest of the continents.

BTW, thras is a city, not an island - it isnt on this map, though its location is somewhere between pyandonea, tamriel, and yokuda. Also, I forgot to label yokuda; its the small chain of red islands.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

duhhr, forgot to attach.
Attachments
Nirn.jpg
(58.16 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I knew Akavir was near to Morrowind, but not that close :shock:

BTW, nice map 8)
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Post by Marauth Alaí-Raán »

Just said this in the other thread Nirn is not round it is not a planet it is a plane - it's flat and goes on to infinity in all directions so Pyandonea would not be east of Akavir.

Oh and Nomadic's right Akavir and Atmora are real close to Tamriel right now. A box map would show the continents correctly so Ehlnofey wouldn't be stretched into an Antarctica shape like that, plus the tiny bit of lore on it says that men destroyed it and the mer fled to Tamriel to escape.

Finally Thras is an island, not a city, if it was an underwater city how could the all nations navy sink it? Also it has risen again now so whatever it is it's above the water.

A nice idea but the lore contradicts a few things on there.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

the city is made of coral, it isnt a true island. they destroyed it by shooting it, coral is quite brittle.

Oh, and i'm confident nirn actually is a planet - what was said in the TIL thing I believe to be what the mortals think nirn is. People used to think the earth was flat, but it wasnt; the mortals cannot fathom the idea of a round world. Nobody has ever tried sailing around the world, have they?
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

<edited to remove 'spam' content>
Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

nice one, but where did u take it? and why pyndonea is south west of tamriel? also why so decentered and cutted? the info on the continent locations are right or approximative???
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
Marauth Alaí-Raán

sirwootalot123 wrote:the city is made of coral, it isnt a true island. they destroyed it by shooting it, coral is quite brittle.

Oh, and i'm confident nirn actually is a planet - what was said in the TIL thing I believe to be what the mortals think nirn is. People used to think the earth was flat, but it wasnt; the mortals cannot fathom the idea of a round world. Nobody has ever tried sailing around the world, have they?
Okay I never heard that bit about it being made of coral, anyway about the planet it turns out the devs now say Nirn is a ball of magic and matter made from the other planets in the sky, the other planets however don't really physically exist as they are actually the gods themselves - the 8 major Aedra, the stars and the sun are holes in Oblivion through which you can see Aetherius and so looking at the stars or the day sky you are actually staring at magic itself. This isn't mortal theory it's actually the structure of the TES universe as the devs currently say it is. They may change their minds later but for now the stuff on TIL is fact not religion.
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Nirn is a ball
thus proving that nirn functions like a planet anyway.

Also, it's because the map was originally supposed to be just akavir, but I then saw that there was enough room to add the other continents.
As for akavir looking like a dragon, I never looked at it that way. Plus, i noticed alot of those "rivers" were actually supposed to be mountains (I had a few white lines there so i could change the colours of the akaviri empires more easily).
I'll upload a better version soon.
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Well when you upload the next one make sure Akavir is much smaller than at present, and that it's much farther away from Morrowind, much, much farther away.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Ill work on a map too! This is getting interesting. :D
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Okay heres my map. I just took other maps and pasted them together. Thanks to SIrwoot for the map of Akavir.
Attachments
NIRN!!.JPG
(95.46 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

you put thras in the wrong place, and it isnt an island. Thras is southwest of summerset isles and nowhere near mainland tamriel.
Janus

Post by Janus »

I think the distance between Atmora and Tamriel is bigger than on your maps.

And: Somewhere in the south is Aldermis. You should may add it. ;D
TES-Oblivion.de
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Aldmeris and Ehlnofey are the same place. Aldmeris is the imperial name, ehlnofey is the elven name.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

you put thras in the wrong place, and it isnt an island. Thras is southwest of summerset isles and nowhere near mainland tamriel

Thats the coral reef under the water. TIL said that it was southwest of the chain in that ocean. I loooked on the map and the Chain was in that location.
Marauth Alaí-Raán

sirwootalot123 wrote:Aldmeris and Ehlnofey are the same place. Aldmeris is the imperial name, ehlnofey is the elven name.
Actually men don't have a name for it and Aldmeris would be the elven, Ehlnofey would be the Ehlnofey word Ehlnofey is also the name of the language of the elves back then and given the vast difference its obviously quite different to 'modern' elven
Janus

Post by Janus »

I drawed this little map of Nirn. I think the distance between (and the size of) the continents should be like this. :wink:

http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Janus/Nirn.gif
TES-Oblivion.de
Laxas

Post by Laxas »

uhm... could someone give me a link to more info about this hole world called Nirn?

Laxas teh Wizard
Laxas the Wizard, protector of Morrowind
Janus

Post by Janus »

http://til.gamingsource.co.uk/cosmology.shtml
TES-Oblivion.de
Gooblecakes

Post by Gooblecakes »

Gleb wrote:According to a globe discovered (By Homru.) in Daggerfall, it looks roughly like this:
[img]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Gleb/New_Bitmap_Image.PNG[/img]
Here's the globe itself, from two different viewpoints:
[img]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Homru/Pyandonea1.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Homru/Pyandonea2.gif[/img]

Tedders confirmed that this is indeed Pyandonaea.
pyandonia is aperantly a crescent shape, and nirn is probably a globe, or at least mortals perceive it that way. Janus has the best map, in my opinion.
Laxas

Post by Laxas »

thx! Man that plane and oblivion stuff is very hard to understant... :oops:

Laxas the Wizard
Laxas the Wizard, protector of Morrowind
Marauth Alaí-Raán

BTW Janus, I dunno why you made Atmora and Akavir about twice as big as Tamriel but Tamriel is the largest continent on Nirn:
The Empire stretches across Tamriel, the largest known continent of the World.
Pocket Guide.

Akavir should be maybe 1/2 to 2/3rds the size of Tamriel, Atmora maybe a bit smaller than Akavir. Ehlnofey/Aldmeris (although Aldmeris is a bit of a dodgy name as despite it being in Elven the Altmer themselves don't use it to describe their lost homeland, they still use the original Ehlnofey wording:
So, even the humans have heard of Old Ehlnofey
(YR: commenting on the Pocket Guide)

In any case Ehlnofey is lost, sunken during the war between the Ehlnofey/Aldmer and the early men and wont appear on the maps.

P.S. Thras is an island chain:
The coral kingdoms of Thras, a set of islands southwest of the Chain in the Abecean Sea
Edit: Is it possible to see the other side of that globe? Anyone with Daggerfall know where that is? Could reveal the shape of the other continents if the devs weren't sneaky enough.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

So its a set of islands. But it said that it was southwest of The Chain in the Abecan Sea. So it would still be realititvely in Tamriel. Thanks for the info!
Gleb

Post by Gleb »

We don't have a clue what Atmora or Akavir looks like. Nobody but the Aldmer (They're not telling anybody.) is even sure if Old Elhnofey even exists.

Yokuda looks positively horrible. A better map has been provided.

EDIT: And also, Atmora must be closer than on Janus's map, because the Reavers found on Solstheim are raiders from Atmora, IIRC. This is stated in the dialogue topic bearing the same name as them. It's common sense that you wouldn't simply go the distance of Tamriel just to raid in small bands.

EDIT: As requested, a JPG version of the map. I cut some pieces off, but there wasn't anything of relevance on them.
[img]http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Gleb/tamriel_westmap.JPG[/img]
Last edited by Gleb on Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janus

Post by Janus »

Marauth Alaí-Raán wrote:BTW Janus, I dunno why you made Atmora and Akavir about twice as big as Tamriel but Tamriel is the largest continent on Nirn
I always thought, that Akavir and Atmora are much bigger than Tamriel :oops:
TES-Oblivion.de
The_Writing_Wraith

Post by The_Writing_Wraith »

Gleb wrote: EDIT: And also, Atmora must be closer than on Janus's map, because the Reavers found on Solstheim are raiders from Atmora, IIRC. This is stated in the dialogue topic bearing the same name as them. It's common sense that you wouldn't simply go the distance of Tamriel just to raid in small bands.
No, it's not common sense. The Vikings raided into the Mediterranian and at least a few small groups maded across the Atlantic. Historically sea raiders have gone great distances to attack their targets, and they usually come only in small bands.
In the 550's Byzantine Generals Narses and Liberius were winning battles into their 80's. Retirement programs, though no longer including raping and pillaging, have clearly improved since.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Yeah, the Swedish Vikings attacked Iran annually by sailing down the large rivers in Russia, and bribing the empires in their way. Norweigen Vikings settled in southern Italy and Sicily.
Gleb

Post by Gleb »

Nomadic1 wrote:Yeah, the Swedish Vikings attacked Iran annually by sailing down the large rivers in Russia, and bribing the empires in their way. Norweigen Vikings settled in southern Italy and Sicily.
They sailed down large rivers in those longboats.
There are no rivers between Atmora and Tamriel, only freezing cold ocean. Please don't tell me you think they crossed all that ocean in a boat that's about the size of liferaft.
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Atmora, should probably be a bit closer, yet far enough that raids would be rare, but still worth a journey back.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Gleb,

just because the Longboat isn't a Nimtz class aircraft carrier doesn't mean it wasn't a damn good ship. In fact, while nowhere near as big and telegenous, it was far more versatile and, in it's time, terrifyingly fast, silent, and (coupled with the impressive navigational skills of the vikings) the bane of the seas.

The Longboat was made for long distance sea travels, like Polynesian rafts, and capable of withstanding most dangers there, even rather large storms. Vikings actually crossed the Atlantic far before Columbus, and settled in New England for a while (until a combination of plague, Indians and warfare amongst themselves made them abandon their settlements).It was by far not a river boat, though it's versatility allowed vikings to travel up large rivers, too.

And, guess what, Gleb - Columbus' early galleoons were about the size of a Longboat. Wanna doupt they crossed an ocean?

I think it's perfectly sensible to assume the Cyronords' exodus came on board a large fleet - think Punic Wars, or Trojan wars size - of Longboatrs to Tamriel, carrying al survivors of that continent's ice age.
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Gleb, that map is a .bmp and is massive.. you might want to change it to a .jpg
Gleb

Post by Gleb »

Hermit,

I'm smart enough to know that the longboat was the terror of the seas. I'm learned enough to know that the Vikings settled New England at around 1000AD.

"They're not sailing in longboats, though. They're sailing in what amounts to a lifeboat. It's pretty hard to sail the distance of Tamriel in one of those, especially when the distance is probably freezing cold. It'd take awhile to go down to Solstheim in a lifeboat that you need to row."

Is that clearer?
G.M.K.

Post by G.M.K. »

Gleb if you ask about them in bloodmoon it states that there ships stay out at sea and send small raiding parties so this proves that they came on vessals larger than lifeboats.
Stumpytheguar

High quality trance map remix techno download!

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Gleb, I take it you can provide us with a source?
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Túrelio
Developer

Re: High quality trance map remix techno download!

Post by Túrelio »

Stumpytheguar wrote:[img]http://img26.exs.cx/img26/404/MyNirn1.gif[/img]

I re-scaled the continents.. that better?
Actually I think that is alot better IMO, even size seems good to me.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Cool, though we now at least know what Pyandonea is shaped like, maybe you could rework Pyandonea a bit? And on that globe it's directly below Sumurset. Atmora and Akavir look about the right size much better, (where's that bloody thumbsup smiley...) maybe even a nats smaller for Akavir? I mean there's only 3 empires/kingdoms whatever on the mainland and the islands of the Tang Mo.

I just won meself a copy of Daggerfall for 21 squid so when it arrives I'm heading straight to that location see what else you can see on the globe.
Gleb

Post by Gleb »

Can't see much else. Unfortunately, it's not 3d, so you can't see the back of it. I wonder if it'd be reasonable to ask if I could have a map of Atmora, seeing as how it's just one frozen wasteland, and unlikely to play a major role in the future of Tamriel.