Map of Nirn

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Marauth Alaí-Raán

Post by Marauth Alaí-Raán »

I guess you could ask Tedders if he knows anything about a map of Atmora or even if a more detailed map of Pyandonea was ever created? Hmm... Damn Daggerfall and it's massive use of sprites! LOL.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

sorry stump, but that map is shite. I've been doing much better ones that I will have up soon enough. They are stretched out though, because I try to fit the whole plane(t) on one rectangular thing. smae happens with earth's rectangular maps; the poles get distorted. This makes atmora look much bigger than it really is.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Marauth Alaí-Raán

You could do a map that is oval in shape, so that the poles are correctly represented, it wont be exactly right but closer than a rectangular one.
Gleb

Post by Gleb »

Marauth Alaí-Raán wrote:I guess you could ask Tedders if he knows anything about a map of Atmora or even if a more detailed map of Pyandonea was ever created? Hmm... Damn Daggerfall and it's massive use of sprites! LOL.
I'll do that next time I see him on the Officials. Anyways, we might get a more detailed map of Pyandonaea sooner than we think, if TESIV is indeed set in Summerset, Artaeum or Cyrodiil. Especially Cyrodiil. We'll have to get a map of all the continents if it's set there, seeing as how they're painted on the ceiling of a room in the Imperial Palace.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Gleb, where do you learn this stuff?
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

You guys should really stick around on the Official Forums more often, yes there are always annoying people but deal with them.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
Gleb

Post by Gleb »

Just stick to the Lore Forums and your eyes won't burn from the Daedra Princes of Idiocy, 1337 and Unlore. And behave (Don't curse, flame or spam.). That's how I learn those things, in addition to having read through the whole Imperial Library many times.
Fallen Murk

Post by Fallen Murk »

Marauth Alaí-Raán wrote:...dunno why you made Atmora and Akavir about twice as big as Tamriel but Tamriel is the largest continent on Nirn
Thank you. This point was starting to bother me as I read through and didn't see immediate corrections.
...I guess you could ask Tedders if he knows anything about a map of Atmora or even if a more detailed map of Pyandonea was ever created?...
My 10 years reading and talking about Tamriel tells me that this has been asked and unanswered. If any such (official) maps existed, they would have surfaced by now. The 2D globe pic from DF is a new one to me though and worth saving for future reference. (However, a TES-IV dev working on maps may not know this pic exists.) Don't mean to be a nay-sayer; it doesn't hurt to ask.

Gleb wrote:...And behave (Don't curse, flame or spam.)
Or Tegger will stomp on you. :)
...That's how I learn those things, in addition to having read through the whole Imperial Library many times.
You said it. What would we do without TIL.
Good Hunting
Fallen Murk
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

I am not oing to read all of the thread but i need to know this ...... are those maps a part of immagination or instead are real?

in the second case i will consider addition to the mainmap if any link to more official sites are provided , in the first case instead i think they cannot be used at all since there are no ideas of how the coasts are shaped like, hoe the mountains are placed and how the political settins are displayed for them so is no way we can use it .....
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
Marauth Alaí-Raán

No they're pulled out of our, posteriors, they have no basis in Lore at all, though we now know the shape, size and location of Pyandonea, which doesn't look like those maps but rather check the picture of the globe from Daggerfall, it's an odd crescent shape below Sumurset
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
someone came out of a dream
and it was me.
I knew I was he because I had been told that I was, by others both in the dream and outside of it.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

then this means that only pyndonea could be considered to add in this map all the rest is completely opinable and could be as different as everyone could immagine so it is useless to speculate about it i guess....also we are not even close to finish the morrowind province that is exagerate to think about lands beyond tamriel wich should be the main purpouse of this site , not called Nirn rebuilt.......
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Exactly, though this was just a bit of fun, remember though Pyandonea does not look like on the maps people have posted, only like on that globe picture - the crescent shape below Sumurset.
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
and it was me.
I knew I was he because I had been told that I was, by others both in the dream and outside of it.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

sorry stump, but that map is shite. I've been doing much better ones that I will have up soon enough. They are stretched out though, because I try to fit the whole plane(t) on one rectangular thing. smae happens with earth's rectangular maps; the poles get distorted. This makes atmora look much bigger than it really is.

Well? Wheres the map?
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Hmm, woot? Here, wooty-wooty-wooty... LOL I'm guessing this got forgotten about. Anyway Re: map distortion, I dunno the technical jargon term for it but draw an oval map, that'll eliminate the size distortion, though it still looks wierd.
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
and it was me.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Sorry, i've been so horrendously busy with other things that i've done nothing with it thus far. Be patient, as i will have it eventually.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Did you notice that Tamriel looks alot like Europe and Asia and Pyandonia (now confirmed to have a crescent shape) looks like Africa? What if Akavir looked like the Americas?
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

And then there's the warcraft map, almost an exact replica of the Earth's.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

akavir is to the east. However, if you noticed, I based Kamal off of the american west coast.

I always thought yokuda was the africa-equivalent.
Blackblade

Post by Blackblade »

Well Nirn is a spherical shape.
[url=http://s3.invisionfree.com/FactionsExpanded]Join the Factions Expanded Project![/url]
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I know that, some people think that the thing with nirn being a plane is acually true (it's just what the people on nirn believe).
Blackblade

Post by Blackblade »

If its to the East then it would also be to the West if its a spherical shape.
[url=http://s3.invisionfree.com/FactionsExpanded]Join the Factions Expanded Project![/url]
Marauth Alaí-Raán

sirwootalot123 wrote:I know that, some people think that the thing with nirn being a plane is acually true (it's just what the people on nirn believe).
*cough*bollocks*cough*

It's not what people on Nirn believe - they don't even know that, and it's not a plane it's a finite sphere within the infinity of Oblivion - the other planets are infinite planes and spheres at the same time. It's from the devs, not the ingame religions, and the word of a dev is gospel regarding TES, it's like the Treaty of Rome is to EC law (that's pretty damn important).

Everyone ingame would realise that the world is round as Tamriel has higher tech than ancient greece; and even they knew the world was round by the fact that there's a horizon in the distance. Christianity and the dark ages fcuked up scientific research for a couple o' hundred years - that's why we thought the whole thing was flat during the middle ages. If it weren't for the muslims keeping all our old books and translating them we'd have known jack s**t after we came out of the dark ages.
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
and it was me.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

We would have known plenty- the churches in Europe kept the old books, they just never really read them.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

My bad - i thought it was all from some book in-game.
either way nirn is a sphere; like a planet.
G.M.K.

Post by G.M.K. »

The question is, how much of the planet does Temriel take up.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

If it weren't for the muslims keeping all our old books and translating them we'd have known jack s**t after we came out of the dark ages.
If we even *would* have come out of the dark ages without the books :P
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Well yes, in fact one muslim cleric actually converted to Christianity and translated a lot of info from islamic into latin at that monastery in Campania in southern Italy, erm, the one that got bombed to s**t by the yanks during WWII. Then what did we do with it? Nothing, just left it sitting there gathering dust in the monastery.
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
and it was me.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Well, here' one of the maps. It's a map of the north pole, AKA atmora and its relation to the other continents.
Attachments
NNPM.jpg
NNPM.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Savant

Post by Savant »

next stop, Akavir Rebuilt! (he, he, just kidding)
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

You can have a script making the thing not infinite. Like as soon as you reach a point so far west, your char gets teleported to the far east, giving the illusion that it is a round world.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Savant

Post by Savant »

Maybe I'm getting a wee bit too detail-oriented, but wouldn't there be continental drift on Nirn? Wouldn't that be cool if Akavir mirrored the western provinces coastlines like the Americas do with Europe/Africa?
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Yes, in fact I made a thread about it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well only if they are on seperate plates moving away from each other. Ways that they could not link are:

1) The plates have moved so far apart one way they are coming round to meet on the other side, in which case the far coasts would be more mirrored.

2) The sea was formed by an immense rise in water levels (eg ice age ends) and the lowlands flooded to form an ocean long long ago

3) Some other geological/miraculous event happened, like a huuuuuuuuge earthquake or Vivec flooding the lands to make the Inner Sea

And more!
Savant

Post by Savant »

Arthomodeus, you made a thread on this? where?
Last edited by Savant on Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

it is right here:
[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=10183&highlight=eurasia]Clicky[/url]
Savant

Post by Savant »

Oh, well, that just deals about the similary between Akavir and the Americas. Although I'd have to admit that Akavir is kinda similar to America tectonically (being that it hooks up to the "Eurasia" of Nirn), I'm talking about the continental drift, specifically. It could give us a lot of help trying to draw Akaviri coast lines without lore, instead of just "pulling it out of our posteriors."
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Savant wrote:Oh, well, that just deals about the similary between Akavir and the Americas. Although I'd have to admit that Akavir is kinda similar to America tectonically (being that it hooks up to the "Eurasia" of Nirn), I'm talking about the continental drift, specifically. It could give us a lot of help trying to draw Akaviri coast lines without lore, instead of just "pulling it out of our posteriors."
Except that we're pulling this continental drift stuff out of our "posteriors" so we're in the same place as before.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

I know that "assume it's as in the real world unless otherwise specified" is always a good approach for fantasy worlds, I do have doubts, however, on plate tectonics in Nirn, where the only known volcanos were created by a divine meteor impact, where tides do not exist despite the existence of two moons (and a rumored third in some rare circumstances), where the sun and the stars are just holes of various size in a curtain of darkness, and where, when the moons aren't full, you can see the stars "inside" their darkened parts because they're actually shrinking rather than getting obscured.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah there isnt any real reason to make them link up...more effort than it is worth really. Since this is a world where gods DO exist no question about it (since they walk around and talk and things) its entirely more plausible to say that this is how it was made and isnt going anywhere.
ookami

Post by ookami »

I must admit that Bethesda really has made it pretty much speculation-proof in that respect. If you don't want to contradict them in any way, you just have to have them draw you a map if they will.