MGen

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Silvone Elestahr
Developer

MGen

Post by Silvone Elestahr »

Why is it that every time I try to put in a greyscale map it wont work. It keeps telling me that it cant import the map. What kind of maps am I supposed to use and where do I get them?
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

Are we using MGen for this project? If we are, where can I get it?

And if we are, why don't we create the rest of Morrowind with it?
Last edited by Noirgrim on Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

These greyscale maps, are you creating them yourself or have you found them somewhere? If you made them, we need someone good at it because we are looking into using a generator to make land for us.

But I thought mgen made interiors?
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Nazz
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nazz »

I have no idea how to use it but perhaps what you said E is the reason it is not working.
[url=http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831]Jon Stewart is my hero[/url]
Silvone Elestahr
Developer

Post by Silvone Elestahr »

Then how do you do the interiors with it? And where do I get the one that does the landscaping?
37: Rejoice as TeeAr rebuilds these lands that have been ravaged by war and famine. May those who STand in his way be smited by his many hands in an unrelenting torment.
-Noirgrim
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

I believe M-gen makes exteriors and GenMod makes interiors. Neither do a very thourough job and anything created in either will need a lot of attention after generation. I think that the problem you may be having with your greyscales is that you need a companion program for it. I'm not sure which but it was discused in a previous thread
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

I think that compainion program is Terragen, but I might be wrong.
(Day-kin)
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

That sounds familiar I think you may be right....still somone should look up the old thread....it was on this forrum so there shouldn't be a problem finding it.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

IMHO, GenMod interiors are too "same", and the time it takes to turn them into something unique isn't worth it. However, M-Gen with Terragen is very good. It's much faster than pulling up land with TESCS and is very configurable as well. If I remember, Inferno_St1ke spent some time with it (hmm, or was it SquallTM?).
ensis

Post by ensis »

Either way, we should use it to finish up the rest of the land in all of Tamriel.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The problem with MGen, at least with the one I have is that there is limitations on where you can place your map in the Morrowind world.

When you go to export your map from MGen to an esp file, Mgen asks you to enter origin coordinates, that is, where your map will start with the bottom lefthand cell as the origin. So say I make a map 8x8 and enter -30,-30 as the origin, the terrain will appear in the plugin with its origin at cell -30,-30. The problem is that Mgen only allows an integer of -50 to 50 as the origin. Would it be big enough?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

For anyone who is interested in the potential capabilities of MGen, here is a screenshot of a plugin based on the orsinium area of the iliac bay. The screenshot is typical of the 10x10 cell area of the plugin.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Thats actually pretty good looking, it would need work but not bad for something generated.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Definitely, its rough around the edges but at least the hassle of putting in 100 cells worth of trees and other features, placing them, resizing them, texturing the ground etc is done for you. In about 5 seconds. And thanks to terragen it has a natural feel to it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

To the best of my knowledge, mGen is kind of buggy and (more importantly) it is no longer being developed or supported. Please correct me if I am wrong in this.

There is a second newer program that does the same thing but is supposedly better. I have not tried it yet; I merely throw this out as another option for you to consider. Link here: [url]http://perso.club-internet.fr/miclg/utilitaires/Landscape_Creator_1.1_eng.ace[/url]
Casious

Post by Casious »

i have tried that utillity and its much better than Mgen.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

blockhead wrote:o the best of my knowledge, mGen is kind of buggy and (more importantly) it is no longer being developed or supported. Please correct me if I am wrong in this.

There is a second newer program that does the same thing but is supposedly better. I have not tried it yet; I merely throw this out as another option for you to consider. Link here: http://perso.club-internet.fr/miclg/utilitaires/Landscape_Creator_1.1_eng.ace
Hello!

I'm new here and at first please excuse my english. I'm from germany.

Well I'm really, really depressed about mGen and it's bugs. Now, after endless searching for solutions or an alternative, I saw this thread and tried this link but it doesn't work :cry:
Could somenone of you post a new link, where I can find this Landscape_Creator, please? I also were very happy about sort of tutorial about using Landscape_Creator.
Also some tips and tricks for a save export from mGen would help a lot.

Thank you,
Seven-D.
adancau

Post by adancau »

Download it here, Landscape Creator v1.1 US - the English version. There's also a French version if you feel more comfortable with it.

http://perso.club-internet.fr/lowi/utilitaires/utilitairesvf.htm

Help is included. Pretty straight forward program to work with, just need to experiment with parameters. I find that reducing the coefficient height close to minimum yelds best results, unless you want very high cliffs. Also decreasing the curve feels more natural.

Hope it helps,
Andrei
Andrei
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hey, thank you very much!! :mrgreen:

Do you know something about any bugs in this program or are there some rules I have to follow to get a save and workable *.esp-file? Tutorials?

English is ok. I don't speak french.

You don't know how much you helped me. Thank you again.

Greetings,
Seven-D.
adancau

Post by adancau »

Seven-D. wrote:Hey, thank you very much!! :mrgreen:

Do you know something about any bugs in this program or are there some rules I have to follow to get a save and workable *.esp-file? Tutorials?

English is ok. I don't speak french.

You don't know how much you helped me. Thank you again.

Greetings,
Seven-D.
You're welcome. I have no idea at all about bugs and such. Just heared of it today and searched for it on Google, downloaded and experimented a bit. Please read the Help, it will shed some light.

Kind regards,
Andrei
Andrei
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hm, I didn't find any bugs at all.
It works very good and is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again.