I just came upon something that might be bad.

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Indoril

I just came upon something that might be bad.

Post by Indoril »

This might be bad.

K, on the subject of TES IV, I know we all dread this topic.

Problem. Let us say we can transfer the work from TES III to TES IV. Good. So we continue. That aside, I thought about it, and if TES IV takes place in Cyrodil, it is assumed that the Imperial Capital City is located roughly within the proximity of cell (0, 0). The problem is this. The current (0, 0) in TES III is an ashland region to the east of Caldera.

If we can transfer the work, the two worlds will, whats that word... can't think of it... oh well... cross over I guess. You'd have Caldera sitting in Cyrodil, Narsis God knows where, and Black Light Somewhere in the vicinity of where Skyrim should be.

Do we have a plan for this, assuming we can transfer the work.
Stendarr is the God of Mercy and Justice. Therefore, he must also be the bearer of Duck Tape, for only Mercy and Justice can use Duck Tape for the Good of man.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

I realy don't think this will be an issue at all as I beleive that transfering of our already completed work into a game with at best a severely tweaked engine and at most a completely diferent engine is wishfull thinking, but if it comes up then I would just point out that there are programs that can move exterior cells. Though that would completely invalidate any cell references in one of the games which puts us back to the wishfull thinking square. I just dont see being able to mix the two.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Fear not young traveler, for if that case comes to be, then we may move our work to the appropriate cell locations with TESFAITH before importing!

And this subject really, really has been closed by the Administrators.
[img]http://img109.exs.cx/img109/3918/QueenYinnie.gif[/img]
Do not fight them. Resistance is futile.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

It wouldn't be possible. Just take the models; the ones we use to build our world, including bethsofts originals, will truly suck if imported into TES IV. No good textures, low pol and will perhaps even follow a whole different scale. For Morrowind to look good in TES IV, one would need to remake all models. And because of this, I highly doubt Bethsoft would care about making the new engine compatible with the old one. No one would actually want to export anything from TES III to TES IV.

But even if you had great converters and all that, it would still not really be possible due to the models and textures for one thing.
Nazz
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nazz »

Wow Stumpy, that has got to be the most awful picture I have seen in awhile.
[url=http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831]Jon Stewart is my hero[/url]
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Koth, you're right about the models but IF (and that's a huge if because I highly doubt it) Bethesda makes a way to convert TES:III mods to TES:IV mods, all we have to do is remake the models. All landmass and interiors won't have to be redone, perhaps they just need an extra touch. It will require quite a large team to convert it and redo the meshes and textures, but it will probably be less work than to redo it from scratch.

I've taken a good look at the TES:IV screenshots and although the graphics have drastically improved, I think the engine is rather similar. So it just might be that we can convert mods from TES:III to TES:IV, but I seriously doubt it. All we can do for now is wait and see.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Vegor.

What similarities did you see between the engines, out of interest?

:)
welp
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Engine is DEFINATLY non NetImmerse. At least not the versionn used in MW.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

To be more precise, it is actually a next-generation version of the NetImmerse engine, by the same company. However, it is now called the Gamebryo engine.
welp
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

strange, I thought it WAS NetImmerse...
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

Vernon wrote:To be more precise, it is actually a next-generation version of the NetImmerse engine, by the same company. However, it is now called the Gamebryo engine.
No its not... Its a HOME MADE brand NEW engine, not gamebryo. Read the faqs and info and you will see it :D
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

there is one thread for this, and only one thread. That is the rule. Stop making new threads.
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same