Argonia

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

<edited to remove 'spam' content>
Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Post by Marauth Alaí-Raán »

Just one problem - Dragonscale and Newtscale are completely Imperial - they have NO relation to Argonia, they were introduced along with Katanas and related weaponry by the Akaviri Potentate - the guards of the Imperial city still wear dragonscale and bear huge no-dachis (I refuse to call them Dai-Katanas :evil:) almost like halberds or spears. Also Argonians are clearly incapable of producing armour like Dragonscale or Newtscale with such metal parts.
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
someone came out of a dream
and it was me.
I knew I was he because I had been told that I was, by others both in the dream and outside of it.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Marauth Alaí-Raán

If we have the bones of dead foes/shamen then it should be rather difficult to get hold of, I'd imagine they'd be rather miffed with an outlander wandering about wearing their dead leaders. As you said reserved for only a few high lvl characters.

Just throwing out a wild idea but - something made from native plantlife, or the bark of trees - very low AC but incredibly cheap and light and maybe with a fairly decent enchant value if it's made from Hist or something related to them.
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
and it was me.
I knew I was he because I had been told that I was, by others both in the dream and outside of it.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Yeah, it could be somewhat camoflauged to blend in with the surroundings.
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

Now, I may be stupid, or just not very well informed...

... but isn't there only one remaining Hist tree, after the Dunmer (or was it Dwemer?) swarmed in and tried to harvest them all?

I have to say that Black Marsh is my most anticipated province.

Anyway, I too get the impression that the Argonian jungle tribes are very shamanistic, and may dwell in things like voodoo. They would primarily use the resources available in the jungle for everything; armour, weapons, and, I think, herbal medicine.

There is supposedly a very, very strong wood-resin armour that can be made, and that is why the Hist trees were harvested (I don't remember where I read this, I'm trying to find the source again.)

The rest of the Argonians are primitive, reclusive, and practice heathen rituals of nature worship that necessitates a proximity to a certain type of spore-tree, which grows only in the interior of their native swamplands.

--

Why did the trees die?" asked Kamdida.

"When there were Argonians only in this land, we never cut trees for we had no need for fuel or wooden structures such as you use. When the Dwemer came, we allowed them to use the plants as they needed them, provided they never touched the Hist, which are sacred to us and to the land. For many years, we lived peaceably. No one wanted for anything."

"What happened?"

"Some of your scientists discovered that distilling a certain tree sap, molding it and drying it, they could create a resilient kind of armor called resin," said Sigerthe. "Most of the trees that grew here had very thin ichor in their branches, but not the Hist. Many of them fairly glistened with sap, which made the Dwemer merchants greedy. They hired a woodsman named Juhnin to start clearing the sacred arbors for profit."

---

"It is difficult to explain," said Sigerthe. "But the deaths of our living ones was not nearly as horrible to us as the death of our trees. You must understand that to my people, the Hist are where we come from and where we are going. To destroy our bodies is nothing; to destroy our trees is to annihilate us utterly. When Juhnin then turned his axe on the Hist, he killed the land. The water disappeared, the animals died, and all the other life that the trees nourished crumbled and dried to dust."

---

For us, we are trapped. I am one of the last of a dying people. Few of us are strong enough to live away from our ancestral groves, and sometimes, even now, there is a perfume in the air of Lorikh that gives us life. It will not be long until we are all gone.

---

My parents told me not to lick the Hist tree until my Naming Day, so I did. My parents caught me and a boy from my nest in a soft-leaf patch right before the naming ceremony. I feared I'd get more of a licking from my parents than I gave the tree... So I ran as fast as I could through the swamp and into the rest of the kids waiting for their naming ceremony. Everyone had a good laugh and the name stuck.

---

"the Argonian priest-king having been executed -- and was representing the Imperial interests in Black Marsh admirably" - The Wolf Queen, Book Four

---

Unfortunately, it was a time of great sorrow in Rockcreek. A pestilence had come through the town, destroying all their cash crops (which consisted of raspberries and a few scraggly odd weeds that caused Argonian women to look very attractive to those who partook); Then a plague had come, inflicting nearly every cobbler with chronic hiccoughs; finally a witch had cursed the townspeople so the only words any could utter were "Hmmm. Precisely." All the businesses, stores, and guilds fled from the town faster than an extremely fast thing. - Ius, Animal God

---

All of this comes from http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/ral-jiktar/argonian_lore.htm

So it gives some insight into their culture (priest-kings, nature worship, etc.) They grow some crops like berries, (I'm assuming this 'weed' is one that is smoked and inebriates whoever uses it.)
Suhn Tarsis

Post by Suhn Tarsis »

Most informing eyeball, thank you.
Bozhe Tsarya Khrani
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

just out of curiosity marauth, but why do you refuse to call them dai-katanas?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Dai means literally 'big' in japanese 'On' script actually. When making composite words in japanese you usually combine 'On' words (Dai-to) and it is acceptable to combine 'Kun' words (O-katana) and never shall the twain meet.

In other words it's not possible to combine Dai and Katana as they are from two different languages effectively. Daito is actually the more common word for the standard sized katana (carried by bound Samurai along with a Wakizashi and Tanto) while No-dachi is used for the horrendously large katanas favoured by the Ronin but it eventually made it's way into conventional armies as a type of shock troop because of the extreme offensive capabilities of a bunch of guys with 5 foot long katanas.
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
and it was me.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Marauth Alaí-Raán

It's got some cool stylistic elements bu it seems a bit thing - there's not much there, animal bones come in a wide variety of shapes that could be used to make curved parts to cover the biceps and forearms, or rib bones used to cover the lower chest - stuff like that. Animal claws could be hooked to some sort of leather glove with the outside of the hand having very small striaght bones sewn into it. It's a cool start but I think they'd make it a lot more ornate and physically covering for such an important dude than just a couple of thigh bones and a skull.

P.S. also noticed the thigh covering looks more like bonemold plate (made from resin and insect exoskeleton bits) than actual bones
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
and it was me.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Hmm, fair enough, but tail bones don't look like that, last I checked they look like vertebrae getting progressively smaller to the tip. What you've got there looks more like the bones from a creature's arms or legs.
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
and it was me.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Anonymous

Argonia underwater cities

Post by Anonymous »

For the Houses and other things we can maybe use some telvanni-like mushrooms but then re-textured with green-blue colours. :twisted:
Marauth Alaí-Raán

Erm, no that just wouldn't work. How would they grow them? Do such plants (native to Morrowind) even grow outside of it? Why don't we do something original like all the sketches and artwork posted already in this thread?

I'm not saying it's a stupid idea just that the main reason against it is Argonia should look different to Morrowind, that means new stuff for buildings armour, plants etc. - reskins are not new stuff, they're maybe 20% new stuff because people will see them and go 'aah, blue-green coloured Telvanni buildings' whereas they should say 'aah, cool new Argonian buildings'.
General TES Lore Bloke.

And
and it was me.
And a black deer said
"Don't Be Afraid".
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

speaking of new argonians meshes here is yet another model I have been working on with argonians in mind.

http://veet_vojagig.tripod.com/argtower.jpg

What do you think? I was thinking they could perhaps be some sort of a place to lay the dead in order to let the jungle claim them. But thats just me I have this morbid facination with burial rituals. :P
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Ethereal

Post by Ethereal »

Veet wrote:What do you think? I was thinking they could perhaps be some sort of a place to lay the dead in order to let the jungle claim them. :P
Hey, that's a nice idea. Its kind of like the towers of the dead that Zoroastrians have to allow birds to consume their corpses.

And the book "On the Preparation of the Corpse" mentions the rapid decay in Black Marsh so there would be no need for burial or burning.
Rishanor

Post by Rishanor »

Don't know whether anyone of you has seen [url=http://www.morrowindvisions.com/MWVisions_Affiliates.htm]this site[/url], but it may come in handy when creating NPC's for Argonia.
Maurtini

Post by Maurtini »

well if indeed this IS going to be done, all these bit's and pieces of information scattered all over the web needs to be collected and interpreted, and not in word by word.

the argonians are absolutely a fascinating creation by bethesda and i've had a huge interest in them ever since Arena. something that should be taken into consideration is the design of the first argonians in the elder scrolls games, as they were more lizard-men than the large reptilian beings that were introduced in Morrowind.

even if there is or isn't any detailed information regarding different races of argonians i personally think it should be, as like i mentioned above, the argonians from the previous games, the ones that had a man-shaped body, scales, tail and a lizard's face ofcourse could be one of the races.

information also says, that they're excellent at guerilla warfare. the northern part of black marsh should by all means consist of mainly jungle terrain while the coast in the south east is shaped like a delta formation and obviously is a "sodden swamp".

something i thought of myself, regarding the race's in black marsh, is different kinds of tribes, some are vicious, primitive head hunters ("the dunmer and argonians have a deep hatred for one another"), some more in peace with their sacred trees and their nature, and some are modern and have adapted to ways of the modern world in Tamriel.

there's so much that people could do if there's any real interest in building parts of Black Marsh. all the litterature needs to be collected and ofcourse alot more needs to be written. the structure of their society, their culture (in depth), their equipment and much more.

i've worked with conceptual design for a short period of time, but never done anything but guts and gore basically. so i would love to do a serious project out of Black Marsh, since it by all means deserves to be brought out of the dark.

here are just some sloppy, really quick marker sketches of some regular argonians i've had the time to do myself.

i love the art i've seen so far, hope others will post more and more!

(pardon my typo's, i stand corrected.)
Attachments
nba2.jpg
(84.02 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
o copy.jpg
(91.74 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
ARG2sepia copy.jpg
(117.82 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Suhn Tarsis

Post by Suhn Tarsis »

Most impressive designs. Very argonianesque :wink:
Bozhe Tsarya Khrani
Indoril Dentures

Post by Indoril Dentures »

Argonia?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it called Black Marsh? Argonia just sounds... wierd.
[url=http://s9.invisionfree.com/The_Tide/index.php]The Tide[/url]
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

I believe Argonia is Aldmeri. Or some other elvish language.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Imperials call it the Black Marsh and the Elves and Argonians call it Argonia, though there is probably a name for Argonia in 'Argonish'.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Wow nice drawings, Maurtini. We need more of this stuff for BM. Could I request a drawing from you? I would love to see the different concepts of what an Argonian commoner's home would look like.

I could maybe also model some of them...
welp
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sorry but I forget...Are the Argonians a egg laying race? If so maybe there would be a couple or maybe even one egg for each family. It could be an enlarged Kwama Egg or something with a name like "Argonian Egg" or something. Sorry if its a stupid idea or anything, just trying to help.
Maurtini

Post by Maurtini »

Vernon wrote:Wow nice drawings, Maurtini. We need more of this stuff for BM. Could I request a drawing from you? I would love to see the different concepts of what an Argonian commoner's home would look like.

I could maybe also model some of them...
awesome! i'd love to do that, i'll have something for you asap. :))
Maurtini

Post by Maurtini »

Muck Shoveler wrote:Sorry but I forget...Are the Argonians a egg laying race? If so maybe there would be a couple or maybe even one egg for each family. It could be an enlarged Kwama Egg or something with a name like "Argonian Egg" or something. Sorry if its a stupid idea or anything, just trying to help.
yeah i think they are, i read about it on one of those "all you need to know" site, about argonians.
not sure tho, but i like that idea of yours, with the egg.
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

Wow, those drawings are amazing!! Can we see some more?

Graff.
[Maybe Not]Done With TR[Quite Yet]
Maurtini

Post by Maurtini »

why yes, i was just gonna upload a lil sketch i threw together...of like...a native argonian. sorta.
Attachments
quick.jpg
(64.65 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

Very Nice. :D.

Graff.
[Maybe Not]Done With TR[Quite Yet]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

You like Argonians holding wooden staves, dont you? :-P
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Maurtini

Post by Maurtini »

haplo12345 wrote:You like Argonians holding wooden staves, dont you? :-P
saves me doing the dreaded poses i can't pull of. so i simply slap a wooden staff in one hand and call it the day. :] oooh lordy lord.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Those pictures are really great. Good jorb!=)
And to think, while you make great sketches, all I can do is make a huge tower of lamps in the middle of Balmora...1,793 Lamps to be exact, and they are all shaped like a seed pod. =/