When the world map won't help, how about this?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

When the world map won't help, how about this?

Post by Nemon »

This just struck me as I was watching the 50 km in Oberstdorf right now. We all know the ingame world map won't help you when you go to far away from the original land in Morrowind (Vvardenfell). We also know that the player will be able to buy map scrolls in mainland Morrowind. I thought about this : What if we have, in towns and villages, a map placed outside with some kind of a "you are here"-mark? Of course some things must be avoided to make it too cheesy and out-of-lore, but a simple weathered piece of wood with the neighbouring towns/villages carved into it, as a map, how about that?
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

hey Nemon, hows it goin

one problem with that... why would the dunmer help others know where they are in Morrowind. Locals obviously would already know where they are and how to get to places. However, they would want outsiders as lost as possible. Hence why finding maps shouldnt be a simple task either.
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Maybe there could be maps in Imperial towns like Firewatch.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

that is the plan ;) but Im glad others agree
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

could we somehow script a map - some sort of moveable image in a scroll? that would expand as script triggers in regions were reached?
M1ke
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Majra wrote:one problem with that... why would the dunmer help others know where they are in Morrowind...
Brilliant point, I like that one! But some dunmer acknowledge the presence of tourists, so at least someone should care for those of us who's GPS is malfunctioning?

EDIT : btw, I'm okay at the moment. Having trouble with them arms (tendons), so I'm staying home from work, getting paid 100 %. How's that for business?
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I've mentioned a bunch of times, that the best part about finding your way around map one is by following the roadsigns. If the road signs are as good on the other maps we won't have a problem finding other villages at all.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Not to be rude, Mr. Majra, but I'm of the opinion that Fun > Logic. A lot of players rely on a map to get around Vvardenfell. If even the basic map that shows land shape and the really large towns is hard to get, it's going to take away a lot of fun from the game.

Thus, I think that the basic map with the landform of Morrowind, Port Telvannis, Necrom, Old Ebonheart, Almalexia, Narsis, Tear, and Kragenmoor (that's the Redoran Mainland Capitol, right?) should be easy to come by. Atleast one person selling it in every settlement across Morrowind.

Maps with all of the major settlements for each "Region" (Split into Maps 1/2, 3/6, and 4/5) should be available only a little less commonly, and available only in their region. Every town that would be on the map (as in, atleast 2 cells) should have one for sale.

Then there should be a map with ever settlement on it, available only in each capitol, and only one person in each capitol. That includes Necrom and Old Ebonheart. This should also be more expensive than the others.

The last map would be a complete map, as complete as Vvardenfell is with "fillmap" on. This should be available in no more than two places, say Old Ebonheart and Narsis. It should cost atleast 1000 gold.

This is just my opinion, but I think it works nicely. Discuss, destroy, and Dennis.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

I think Sload Lord has a good idea here.

Maybe there should be cartographers in different towns as he said.
Nathan Commons
Liliath

Post by Liliath »

Here's a little conversation I had with Hermit :
Well .. yeah, we will create in-game bookart maps, pretty much like those already in the game, for specific regions. The world map will disapear, because we cannot get that bug out of the game. And yes, someone has offere to make one map from Morrowind's mainland, including Vvardenfell, first from the world map and then as a large bookart map, or something.

Regional maps are very much appreciated. As is the idea of maps of different quality ... indeed, a very, very fine idea! Expensive maps are of fine quality and show roads and such, while cheap maps are more like the average pirate treasure map, with a cross, some scribbled letters, and some roughly accurate terrain features.

TR needs many, many maps. In fact, if you want to make some regarding your claim, be my guest; just make them with transparent background and send them to Vernon, who will make them into scrolls and books and all kinds of things.

I will do the same with Almalexia, which is turning out to be an immense amount of work ...
Just to tell you that in game maps ARE a must, and that we will be alot agreeing about it :)

Liliath.
"Progress is going from failure to failure without ever loosing one's enthousiasm"
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

Morden wrote:I've mentioned a bunch of times, that the best part about finding your way around map one is by following the roadsigns. If the road signs are as good on the other maps we won't have a problem finding other villages at all.
Yes, the map 1 signs are quite spiffy arent they, wonder who put them in :wink:

me ub3r :D
M1ke