Massey's Art

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Massey's Art

Post by Massalinie »

Ok, these are some things i did in school when i was bored. They arent much but they are some ideas i was experimenting with. Let me know what you think:
[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/massalinie/tree.bmp[/url]
This one is a tree with a platform at the top: as you can see. This isnt one of the better ones tho..
[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/massalinie/armor.bmp[/url]
This is some armor i designed. The cuirass at the bottom isnt very good tho (sorrie!)
[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/massalinie/axe.bmp[/url]
This one is a hand axe, small like a dagger but an axe none the less (this may be odd, lemme no wat u all think tho)

So... any comments?
Last edited by Massalinie on Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

didnt work
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

sorted it out now
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Nice axe you got there!
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Thanx, I may make it a bit bigger some time so that you can see it better.....
Timito

Post by Timito »

Wow, great massalinie! If you could make some more detailed drawings that'd be great.(not saying those arent' detailed enough).
Baalzebub

Post by Baalzebub »

nope, nay, no way.
The lord of flies "Baalzebub" will come to earth and kill all living things, none will survive....exept for the flies naturally.

"silence"
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

no way what?
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

Baalzebub wrote:nope, nay, no way.
1) What do you mean?

2) If this is criticism, give reasons.

Graff.
[Maybe Not]Done With TR[Quite Yet]
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Are those bat wings on that helmet? Like Alma-style? I'm not sure that'd be very easy to explain. What practical purpose could there be?

Also, your cuirass seems to become smaller towards the chest/shoulder area, when it should be expanding. You may want to consider porportioning your 'art' correctly before posting it.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Baalzebub

Post by Baalzebub »

Graff The Nord wrote:
1) What do you mean?

2) If this is criticism, give reasons.

Graff.
what i meant was i didn`t like them. reason: the axe looked a little clumsy. the armor i guess could need a little more work. the tree looked kinda cool.
The lord of flies "Baalzebub" will come to earth and kill all living things, none will survive....exept for the flies naturally.

"silence"
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Black Viper wrote:Nice axe you got there!
Spam.
Spam.
Massalinie wrote:no way what?
Spam.
Baalzebub wrote:the tree looked kinda cool.
Not only spam, but just wrong. The kid's a horrible artist. From the looks of it, he's barely old enough to hold a pencil, let alone peice together something worth looking at.

I'm not asking for a Michelangelo here, I just want a little more effort than a two dimensional figure with a daedric door leading to a treehouse. This is Tamriel Rebuilt, not prepubescent fantasy art playland. Someone might be able to salvage that axe, but we've already got weapon sketches out the watoozy.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

That's more than a little bit harsh, mate. The concepts are okay, though I'll admit the presentation could be much better.

Graff.
Baalzebub

Post by Baalzebub »

agreed it sucks but the tree could be good with a lot of work, and when i said nope nay no way thats just my way of saying i don`t like it its just the same as if i said it looked good but you wouldnt call that spam. but lets keep to the topic and face it this topic should get locked.

"silence"
Abramul

Post by Abramul »

The axe is good. if it becomes a finished model, I would expect a lot of detailing on the panels.

The armor is sucky because I can't see it. You need to go over it in pen, and a better camera angle would help.

The tree isn't balanced, it would likely fall over. Try putting the hut in the middle. Actually, three branches might make sense.
Tamriel is an impossible place, built on impossible precepts. It's, frankly, a magic ball of sentient schizophrenia. --MK
Agannazar

Post by Agannazar »

Stumpytheguar wrote:
Spam.
Spam.
Spam.
Not only spam, but just wrong. The kid's a horrible artist. From the looks of it, he's barely old enough to hold a pencil, let alone peice together something worth looking at.

I'm not asking for a Michelangelo here, I just want a little more effort than a two dimensional figure with a daedric door leading to a treehouse. This is Tamriel Rebuilt, not prepubescent fantasy art playland. Someone might be able to salvage that axe, but we've already got weapon sketches out the watoozy.
Stumpy seems to still be his old self...
D&D gaming board at: http://lokar.proboards24.com

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Agannazar wrote:Stumpy seems to still be his old self...
Still spam. God damn it guys, this is an art thread. Constructive criticism ("Good job!" is not considered contstructive) only, or get the hell out. There's a tavern where you can bitch about my behavior all you want.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

I'll admit this was constructive criticism but when delivering, could you please take into account other people's feelings?

Graff.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Massalinie, don't take any criticism the wrong way. I like that you do so much concept art for TR and think you should keep at it. The more you do, the better you will get. :)

Andrew, you don't need to be so voracious. However I am in complete agreeance about the spam magnets these threads have become. Constructive criticism only - that's a good watchword.

Also, Massalinie is one of our female members. Let's have some courtesy when there is a lady present. :P

Noo sittle doon eva-ree-bodeh...

Veh.
welp
Abramul

Post by Abramul »

Translating: "Now settle down, everybody"
Tamriel is an impossible place, built on impossible precepts. It's, frankly, a magic ball of sentient schizophrenia. --MK
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Stumpytheguar wrote:
Spam.
Spam.
Spam.

I think you are being a bit too harsh here, also none of that stuff people said was spam. I admit the Tree thing wasnt very well drawn but I was just experimenting I can do a better one when i have more time I aas in the middle of a lesson when I drew it!
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Okay, good. Now we're getting somewhere. I can understand people doodling in class, and I can understand wanting to share your work... but please don't post it as serious concept art if you know you can do better.

Key words... KNOW you can do better. Don't post it until you know that you cannot do better, and you'll recieve much more positive feedback (even from me - yes, I can be nice sometimes).
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Thank you stumpy. Now I will get to work on this stuff a bit more as soon as possible, sorry about the paleness of the armor one, and also the cuirass is crap, lets face it but I was just testing to see if I could get it to fit with the rest. The bat wings are meant to look evil really. They could be modified slightly. Just an idea. The handle on the Axe looks wierd too because I ran out of page space.....
Vyvara Araneae
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vyvara Araneae »

I was always under the impression that concept art should focus on the concept image itself and not the skill of the person from which the idea came from. Concept suggests that the idea is not a finished product and open for commentary in order to make it a finished work (through either improvements or refining). If you have honest suggestions about the ideal itself, make them tactfully so it does not appear to be a personal attack on the artist. Common sense, I know. :)

Encouragement and compliments are not considered spam in my eyes as long as it is pertaining to the ideal in the image. Everyone needs to know when they are producing work that warrants this along with constructive criticism. This gives the artist an idea of what to keep and what to change. The same could be said for our modders as well. :)

Mass, even though I understand that the sketches are rough concepts, I would encourage you to continue. You do have some excellent base ideas there. :)
[url=http://thebluequeen.bravehost.com][img]http://a146.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/55/l_4424b83f00b96927698e547d14390aa9.jpg[/img][/url]

"I don't know if I should be honored to be the first one created, or angry that I'm a puddle of ejaculate." -Dexter (02.05.06)
der gottlose

Massey's Art

Post by der gottlose »

You know, with a little work, the axe could be a decent, non-fancy handaxe. But two things:

Handaxes, no matter what people say, can also be designed for throwing. If that is desired, make the handle a wee bit longer and the head much smaller.

If normalcy is desired: Shrink the head about 20% and make the handle about 40% wider. And remember: fanciness is not the desire. As far as I know, we already have too much of that in the game (ie: ebony [which is burned/hardened wood, not supposed to be MINED], daedric, etc.)

And Stumpy, if you consider this spam, PM me. We'll have a talk.
Ich liebe garfield! Wir lieben Garfield!

http://s13.invisionfree.com/TiMorrowind
That's my morrowind forum. Go there now.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

alright, everyone can shut the hell up. The only thing I agree about with stumpy is, this is not the place to talk about his attitude, because by criticizing him publically, you are only worsening your attitude on the forum as well.

Stumpy, I understand that the pope bestowed onto you the infallible rights of criticism, but the way I see it, if you can do better, then do it, otherwise when you criticize someone else take into consideration they might not be creating things for art purposes. An engineer designs things in the crudest way possible, as long as the unique aspects of the piece are presented.

Concept art doesnt have to be art.

Mass, you should probably work on making your concepts be different from things we already see. To me they all look like things we already have, and perhaps you could take a better scan or picture or whatever cause I have trouble seeing it.
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Re: Massey's Art

Post by Vernon »

der gottlose wrote:normalcy
*cringes* :wink:
welp