Progress for 3-26

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Progress for 3-26

Post by Massalinie »

I have just recieved this claim from Asylum and I am missing some meshes needed for some reason, I still havent got OoT to work properly but im working on it. Anyhoo, once I DO get started on this claim, I will be posting my progress here.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

I have a question about this: according to "Poison Song" there is a sixth house junkyard on this island. So, where would I get some burnt up sixth house junk to put there?
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

You could probably use existing meshes in creative ways, or you could come up with a story like the stuff was all removed thousands of years before. If not, you'd probably need to find Asylum or another modeller and ask them to give you some help.
cougar
Developer

Post by cougar »

There are some junk meshes added to OOT, but I don't know, if they are for 6th house specifically. Perhaps, you find anything useful for your junkyard there.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

I was thinking that if there arnet any ^th house junk statics, that I may just use the ones we have and turn them upside down or sideways and on top of each other to make it look kinda trashed
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

ex_ruin_00-04

Those might work if you want ruined buildings.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

No i dont want ruined buildings. Its jsut meant to be left over stuff from the war (cant remembere which war) of the great houses when the sixth house was "destroyed" which the indorils piled up and burned
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

ok, here are some screenshots of the claim of things i've added to the claim this week just some forests and the manor with all its windows:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/massalinie/ScreenShot6.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/massalinie/ScreenShot7.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/massalinie/ScreenShot10.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Massalinie on Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Asylum
Developer

Post by Asylum »

great work allready, i'm not going to make a lot of 6th house junk but i'm going to make a 6th house chintin shield to put in the junkjard (probably broken in two or more pieces and hidden. and an armorer somewhere that can make it.) and you can always use the 6th house sickle in the claim but hide it very very well.
"Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose"
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Ok, thanx for the advice Asylum, let me know when your shield is ready then just post it here if you'd be so kind. Thanx,
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Asylum wrote:great work allready, i'm not going to make a lot of 6th house junk but i'm going to make a 6th house chintin shield to put in the junkjard (probably broken in two or more pieces and hidden. and an armorer somewhere that can make it.) and you can always use the 6th house sickle in the claim but hide it very very well.
Before you break it let me point you to one thing. Chitin is organical material and to my knowledge it will be almost impossible to fix it if broken. So I think if there were some normal ones and some broken ones (to simulate the junkyard after all) it would be OK. But construction one from pieces...
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

erm, I like the basic thing going here, but there's an error here that seems like it's vomiting out bile and ketchup from my monitor:
the trees need to be lowered.
the little black parts on the bottom should NOT be above ground; but showing by the in-game equivalent of only about 6 inches.

fix that, though; and it will look great.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

ok, yeh i went in game and realised this and i have actually fixed it already. and its only really a problem in some areas not all, when i was quickly shoving trees in but i fixed them now :D
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

This looks pretty nice (especially if you took care of that little tree problem). Looks like it may need some vertex shading under trees and stuff, but you seem to be putting togeather a dense forest with good choices for statics and detail.

Looking good,
-Starcrunch
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Don't forget to add lots of flora and small rocks etc. That's the most important part when detailing a claim
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Ok, I have changed the screen shots above for in game screen shots of the forest the way i fixed it. (sorrie they are so big)

Also, I need lots of sixth house junk if this claim is gonna look really good. I was thinking if someone could make a torn, burnt sith house robe which would just drape over stuff or something. Or anything that the other Great Houses have, there could be a sixth house version. I'm not a moddler so I can't do this kind of stuff myslef but if anyone would be willing to help, I have a friend who may be able to draw up some concept art for this kind of thing to give you ideas. please let me know.
Thanx in advance,
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

a few tips if i may:

1. smooth the land a lot more, now there are many sharp edges that look bad

2. place a lot more small statics first, than add trees - it's much easier to build it that way. to know whether you have enough "small" statics [bushes, container flora, rocks, etc], it needs to look filled enough even w/o trees

3. try to add a "reason to visit" your landscape, some "revard" for a player's journey: no grand stuff just a nice pile of rocks, a pond, a unique tree placement, etc; one or two per cell

4. don't count on new stuff being made for this claim, there simply aren't enough meshers to make it. ppl with "more important" claims are having hard times to get new stuff, so it's unlikely you'll get some.

EDIT:
5. as far as i can see, you are using about 3 or 4 region types [textures and statics] which imo isn't acceptable. i know the texture map doesn't say what region to use, but try to stick to just one or two [ie BC/WG or better BC/AI]
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

1) Yep, ok i can manage that
2) " "
3) There is probably gonna be a boat on this island if thats ok, and there will be a few smaller buildings besides the Manor maybe a shop or two
4) I'm not counting on new stuff at all. I've been trying my best to make due with what little 6th house stuff we have but I';; warn you it may look a bit repetative in places on the finished results if I dont get at least some new stuff.
5) ??? I have been using flora_bc_tree** for the most part with a few West Gash trees in one area, so i'm not useing very many region types at all. you must be mistaken
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

Massalinie wrote:1)
5) ??? I have been using flora_bc_tree** for the most part with a few West Gash trees in one area, so i'm not useing very many region types at all. you must be mistaken
i was talking about textures and statics, not just statitcs. for example:

screen #1: WG [rockyscrub] and GL [road] textures and BC trees. that makes 3 region types... ;] besides those bc trees on wg textures are imo not fitting and ugly. give it a shot and change textures to BC only, i think you are going to like it...

screen #3: BC trees, WG and GL textures.

so, ok, that makes only 3 regions [not 4], but it's still more than enough. since you obviously want to use bc trees, why not to stick with BC textures only? there are a lot of really nice bc textures and i would look better imo.

i hope i'm not too harsh, just trying to help...
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Hmm... ok i don't understand what you mean. what is the difference between textures and statics? (I know there is one) And precicely which textures are you referring to? textures on what?
and i understand that you are just trying to help and thanx for that, but i am technically stull new at this so you'll have to help me a little more
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

ok, no problem
the main difference is that texture is basicaly a "color" mapped onto something, but static is a 3d model [mesh] with textures. in TESCS there are statics [all the stuff you add: rocks, buildings, trees, etc], while by texture it means the "color" you paint onto terrain [via landscape tool]. so, when someone tells you that you used wrong textures, he's reffering to terrain [land, ground] only. and for each region set there is a set of flora and rock statics as well as mathing textures to be "painted" onto the ground. and unless you want to make Noir mad, don't use other textures then those of the statics' region you placed there.

see the screenshot added to this post:
the area in blue is imo a wrong texture, because it seems like a GL texture, not BC, yet there are BC trees. the are in red is a WG texture, which is possible, but i think it would look better if you use a BC rock texture instead, but it's just a matter of aesthetics. see, the WG rock is imo too bright and "clean" for the muddy feel of BC region, but it's your claim, so it's up to you

does it make any sence?
Attachments
ScreenShot5.jpg
(76.2 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Ok, so the path was my fault because I don't know much about landscaping. and the rock was Asylum not me, he had this claim before me so I just left the land pretty much the way he had it. ok, so i'll change it tomorrow (I have other things to do this evening) and then I'll take new pictures and switch them so that you can tell me if it is better.
Thanx so much for all your help, i probably would have really screwed this up without you.
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

you are welcome, just remember to use same texture type as statics and you will do fine...
ahh, one more thing: you don't have to follow all of my/someone else's ideas, it's your claim after all :D
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Ok, the main ones are on the previous page but here is one of the Junk yard so far (if you notice any levitating items do't worry i've sorted them all out now)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/massalinie/ScreenShot8.jpg[/img]
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Wow! It would be cool to put in some eerie fog as well.

It reminds me of a picture I drew once.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Nice work on the junk yard ;) Although I don't reckon the banners would have survived the flames, or the passage of time.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Ok, I may take them out the thing is though, I have an extreme lack of stuff to put in so there are tons of doubles of stuff. I don't think it matter too much if it is all twisted in different directions, besides they probably would have gathered all the stuff and there would have been more thatn one of each thing. But some other sixth house stuff would be great if there are any moddlers willing to take on the task.
@arthmodeus - fog... hmm.. I'll try it out later and post a pic.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Nah. Leave the banners. I think they look really cool there.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Okie dokie
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Also, if you can, put in some grass and ivy around the ruins. It would look more ancient that way.

You're doing an excellent job.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

:D its great to see someone say that thankyou :D
and i will put grass in as you suggested
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

great junkyard!
and yes, do add a lot of flora to it [like ivy, flora_bc_moss, etc]...
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

You exterior modders really amaze me.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Asylum
Developer

Post by Asylum »

you made me realise how much i suck at exteriour modeling :)
great work!
"Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose"
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Thanx :D
Ok, here are some pix or what i did today:
This is the forest pic from before basically although it has some added flora, i just wanna know what people think of the look, does it need more?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/massalinie/flora.jpg[/img]

This is the beginnings of a village. What do you think so far?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/massalinie/village.jpg[/img]
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Looking great Massey. :thumbsup:

Only one criticism: the wise man supposedly built his house upon the rock. When I think back to Hla Oad, Khuul and Gnisis, those houses were stood upon stilts to protect the village from water. Realistically, if that village land was flooded, it would be bye-bye little village. Maybe raise the land a little or erect some sort of miniature dock/barricade?
Last edited by Vernon on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
welp
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

hmm.... ok, ill see what I can do
EDIT: does anyone know anything about indoril style docks? You see docks in ebonheart, well I need docks like them in indoril style. to raise the buildings like Vernon said. Help?
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Maybe raise the land of where the village is to make it on a little plateau of some kind, and have a smooth road going down the docks. As the for the docks themselves, IIRC there is no lore on Indoril docks.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

um... basically the first bit of what you just said was already said before. but Thanx anyway. And also, there are some indoril docks being created. Also, read the poison song, there are docks in it and it is based on the island which I am creating, which is indoril. So there is lore for indoril docks you just havent found it yet. :D
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I was talking about design / layout, ships used, size, who works them (slaves or paid labourers), what they transport, warehouses, lighthouses, peasant fishing, etc. You were talking about their mere presence :D There is no lore on Indoril docks IIRC beyond their mere presence. But I'd guess for yours they'ld be using slaves for wharfies, they'd be a couple of fishing vessels (island communities almost always have fishing as a priority), maybe a small storehouse, no warehouses / lighthouses / etc., and normal Dunmer boats servicing transport at the docks. The settlement itself would probably have a wall and gate to prevent easy access from the coast to the village in case of pirates (which would be a real threat if the village was as prosperous as it is in the Poison Song) with a guard tower on a perfect vantage point. If the island is located on one of the major shipping routes (which I think it is; Tear <-> Necrom, or Necrom <-> Telvanni) it would have a store or two and an inn of some kind for travellers, although the inn itself would not be anything special as most people would only arrive at evening and leave early morning (or so you'd think).

... How's that for rambling on :D