Misc Quest- A Haunted Inn

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Thane

Misc Quest- A Haunted Inn

Post by Thane »

If you're like me you like stopping at local inns in Morrowind this is were this idea comes in.

In x province you go to x town and talk to local people about services. They tell you about the blacksmith, the trader, the haunted inn. Interested you go to the inn and talk to the innkeeper, who is distressed about the haunting, says rent a room and see what happens at night that scares his clients away. Go rest and you're awaked by strange noises outside your room. You open the door and see several ghosts floating around. They attack you defeat them and go talk the innkeeper. He says the inn has been like this for months and he can't figure out why. He tells you about an instance where he denied room to a traveler because he knew the traveler was a necromancer and he can't abide to those types. That necromancer went onto become a wealthy individual and has a mansion in the southeast section of the town.
You go to the mansion and talk to the 'necromancer'. He says he is not a 'necromancer' anymore, but became one and because of his summonings he was hunted down and forced to travel far away. He is now a pious individual who speaks out against necromancy and has several witch hunters working for him.
Confused you go back to the innkeeper and tell him what happened. Stuttering the innkeeper tells you he is sure that the vip is a 'necromancer'. His stuttering makes you wonder and you go back to your room to sleep. You're awakened by odd chanting and head downstairs to see what's happening. The chanting takes you to the basement where you see the innkeeper praying before a shrine. You confront him and he tells the truth. He became jealous of the 'necromancer' and recently acquired a book of summonings so that he could summon dead. He was trying to convince the town that the necromancer was still at work and get him driven out of the town. Then he would be proclaimed a hero for braving the hauntings and take the 'necromancer''s place as the local hero. You tell him to knock it off and he gives you some gold and asks you to not tell anyone what has happened. Or tell on him and have him driven away from the town.
Last edited by Thane on Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artemis Entreri

Post by Artemis Entreri »

Or you could tell everyone about what he did. Nice job, that quests seems preety good. :D
"I have an idea so smart, that my head would explode if i even began to know what i was talking about."
Thane

that's good

Post by Thane »

thanks looks like two of my misc quest ideas are gonna work!
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

This seems pretty rough, but with some cropping and fitting this would be an excellent quest. I do recall a quest in Sadrith Mora in the orginal Morrowind where a ghost haunts an inn there. I haven't played the quest so I don't know if it's too similar to this. :)
Nathan Commons
Thane

wow!!!

Post by Thane »

this is not a rip-off!!! i didn't even know that quest in Sadrith Mora existed!!!
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Oh! No! I'm not saying that! I'm just saying to make sure the other quest isn't too similar. :?
Nathan Commons
Thane

here

Post by Thane »

Here's the Sadrith Mora Quest.

Gateway Haunting - Sadrith Mora
28 May 2002

In Sadith Mora, you?ll learn that a ghost is haunting the South Turret bedchamber at Gateway Inn. When someone drives it out, it comes right back. It?s ruining business at Gateway and Angaredhel the Prefect in unhappy.

Go to Gateway Inn and talk to Angaredhel. He?ll give you the directions to the haunted room. He will also tell you that Mage-Mistress Arara Uvulas inspected the room but does not know why the ghost reappears or how to stop it. Angaredhel advises you to speak to Arara Uvulas at the Telvanni Council House. You can kill the ghost (as many times as you want), but you cannot solve the quest in this manner.

The Council House is a big sphere located near the docks. Speak to Arara Uvulas there about the Gateway Haunting and she will tell you that she can find no evidence of a restless spirit or ancestral influences. She suspects that a conjuration expert is involved. Ask anyone at the Council House about a conjuration expert and you?ll discover that Uleni Heleran from the Mage?s Guild teaches conjuration.

Go to Wolverine Hall and speak to anyone there. You?ll learn that Uleni Heleran is mischievous and that she has bad feelings about Angaredhel and the Gateway Inn. Confront Uleni Heleran about the Gateway Haunting. She?ll admit that it was a joke she played. She agrees to stop the haunting and gives you a note to take to Angaredhel.

Return to Angaredhel and hand the note to him. He will reward you with a choice of one of three rings: a Fighter?s Ring, a Mage?s Ring and a Thief?s Ring.
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Okay, good, just making sure.
Nathan Commons
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

This is actually a nice idea. I like this part the best:
You go to the mansion and talk to the 'necromancer'. He says he is not a 'necromancer' anymore, but became one and because of his summonings he was hunted down and forced to travel far away. He is now a pious individual who speaks out against necromancy and has several witch hunters working for him.
Very nice idea. If you could flesh this out some, give me some locations and NPC names, I can help you get this ready for the Plots forum.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Here's a little constructive criticism where you've seemingly gotten one... why would the villagers talk about the inn with an eerie laugh, and why in hell would the innkeeper tell you to 'rent a room and see what happens'? That sounds like something out of a bad Scooby-Doo episode. I know it's not really an important criticism to make, but it stuck out like a sore thumb. If anything, the villagers would talk about the inn being haunted and the innkeeper would at least PRETEND to be distressed about the undead attacking his clients.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Thane

Okay,

Post by Thane »

Make stumpy's changes.
"We are the Knights who say-NI!"
"Now bring us a shrubbery"
"A nice one, but...not too expensive..."
Thane

Post by Thane »

Reply to Dex:

Ooh, give me some time before so I can develop this necromancer-gotta look at my map.
Thane

Post by Thane »

Rough idea for the necromancer.

His name is Valen Hlaalo a former powerful member of the Temple. One of his missions for the temple involved killing an unnamed necromancer in Vvardenfall. Hlaalo always had a passion for summoning Daedra, a flaw the Temple was angered by. When he met the necromancer he was to kill the necromancer used spells to cloud Hlaalo's mind and then convinced him to ally himself with him. Hlaalo eventually became more powerful than his 'master' and killed him. After killing his master he took over his lair and began to hone his skills. Some thirty years before Morrowind he unleashed hordes of Daedra on Ordinators that were hunting him. Those Ordinators managed to drive off him and his forces and for a dozen years Hlaalo roamed Morrowind before settling in the town of my mission and regained his faith in the Tribunal.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Hlaalo is a very direct relation to House Hlaalu, who are not very strong temple supporters. Perhaps an Indoril name, like Methren?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Thane

Post by Thane »

While Hlaalu are not strong temple supporters, they are on friendly terms with them. C'mon it's not like my guys last name is Fyr.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

You gotta tweak your background some. First off, summoning Daedra isn't a "flaw" the Temple would be "angered" by. It is a capital crime that would cause the Temple to send Ordinators and warrior-monks after the man, killing him before his powers grew to any significant stance.
Also, near the end, you have made him too powerful. I didn't meet anyone in Morrowind who could unleash hordes of Daedra.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Thane

Post by Thane »

He wasn't unleashing hordes of Daedra. The shopkeeper did no more than summon an ancestor ghost. And if the Temple slaps down necromancers so hard explain why anyone from house telvanni is still alive. IF the temple went after Valen he would pop whoever they sent. And eventually when he vanished and popped several ordinators the temple would leave him alone. His name is changed Valen Madra or Valen Methren. Take your pick. If this sounds ok can I start working on the quest?
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Thane wrote:Some thirty years before Morrowind he unleashed hordes of Daedra on Ordinators that were hunting him.
Change this.
On Vvardenfell, there are a total of two necromancers. Goris the Maggot King and Dedaenc. Neither of them are in House Telvanni (or any faction, for that matter).
The Telvanni are not necromancers. If the Temple went around killing everyone who summoned ancestor spirits, they would do best to start with themselves. Summoning ancestor spirits is not necromancy.
Thane wrote:IF the temple went after Valen he would pop whoever they sent. And eventually when he vanished and popped several ordinators the temple would leave him alone.
You clearly don't quite understand a few things here. It is possible that Valen could take out Ordinators one at a time. However, if the Temple heard about his necromancy, they would not send a single Ordinator. They would send many. Ordinators may seem like pushovers in the game once you reach level 25, but in lore they are the elite Dunmer warriors, and we will treat them as such for the purpose of quest writing.
Also, if Valen killed a few Ordinators, the Temple would not just "give up". They would send more and more until he was dead.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Thane

Post by Thane »

explain the telvanni sorcerer in Gnaar Mok then and the ones who summon skeletons and bonewalkers...how is that not necromancy?
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Let me put it simply Thane: Your background has lore issues. Any Temple member who summoned Daedra would be excommunicated in the time it takes for a cliffracer to spawn. There is no way he could hope to live long if the Temple was after him. And Hlaalo is still a bad name, make up a new one.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

You must be referring to Baladas Demnevanni, in the Arvs Drelen tower outside of Gnisis. He technically is not a necromancer in class, but he is referred to as one. However, in the Morag Tong quests you get a writ for him. The Temple may well have ordered this writ.
Plus, there is a difference between summoning and necromancy. Summoning skeletons, bonelords, and ancestral spirits is part of Conjuration, a favored skill of the Temple. Necromancy involves the actual act of reanimating corpses, not summoning undead minions.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Thane

Post by Thane »

ok
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

This does not ruin your quest, however. You just need to rework your background story.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

But please, use a name other than Valen. Baldur's Gate II, Neverwinter Nights, and I'm sure other games feature key characters with that name. Something a little more original would be appreciated.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I know it's not original and thought of this off the top of my head. But what about Sandro.
If that name doesn't float your boat how about something like Ralam Ulvel.
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Ralam, Ralen, whatever works.

Sandro's the name of the archvillain in Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Shadow of Death. That, and he was always in the previous games since HoM&M 1.