The Consumer's Opinion

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Sload
Developer Emeritus

The Consumer's Opinion

Post by Sload »

I have a friend who has no interest or skill in modding, lore, or writing for Tamriel Rebuilt. He, however, has played Morrowind enough that everything bores him. He wants something more. This led him to Tamriel Rebuilt, and with my assistance he is now running across Map 1.

I think that he could be a valuable asset to the project. His opinions are the most unbiased we have, for he has no sense of how much work it takes to change things or get the project done. He has no particular pride in anything here, because he hasn't done any of it. He also promisses to look for anything buggy. Here are a few of his opinions about Firewatch.

1)He loves it. It happens to be the exact thing he was asking me to make him. A huge castle with his favorite kind of buildings around it. That's not really useful to us though.

2)The area around it is also beautiful. He says, however, that it's empty. Perhaps we should add more caves, considering that this is the players first impression of our work. He doesn't want you to change to much though, because he loves the way it looks.

3)He does not like the doors to the Duchess' Throne Room. I have to agree with him. They're off to the side (unless you're coming from the dinning room, but thats a totally different story). I have checked and there is no reason for us not to move them to the adjacent wall. It's easy (just moving the doors and a northmarker) and will look much better.

4)It's really confusing. I'm not sure if he liked this or not. I must admit it should be a little easier to get to the guild halls, maybe we should have someone in the Reception Hall who can give directions. That'd be nice for Old Ebonheart Castle too, because it's HUGE.

5)The Akotosh statue needs to go. This is a very unique statue on Vvardenfell, and very memorable. I personally think every one of the major Imperial cities should have its own. Tiber Septim for Firewatch perhaps?

These are all of his opinions he's given me so far. I'll give anything he says that I know we can do.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Is this a joke?
PaulShin

Post by PaulShin »

Why would it be?

And yes actually everybody knows about point 2. No idea if anyone will ever fix it. And with 4 how do you know the size of Old Ebonheart castle if it's not ready yet?
Interiors done: 0/0/1/12 (C/S/R/A)
Interiors reviewed: 18 (Not a reviewer atm)
Current Project:
-Imperial Forts mod (nonTR)
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

sload lord wrote:I have a friend who has no interest or skill in modding, lore, or writing for Tamriel Rebuilt
uh... thats why
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Massalinie wrote:
sload lord wrote:I have a friend who has no interest or skill in modding, lore, or writing for Tamriel Rebuilt
uh... thats why
He just states that he has no interest in helping us to make it but in playtesting the maps. So why should it be a joke ?
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Shinobi wrote:And with 4 how do you know the size of Old Ebonheart castle if it's not ready yet?
Because I downloaded the WIP/saw screenshots of it? It's gotta be 12 stories tall atleast.

And yes, there is an abundance of people who don't want to work on this mod but want it. You know...all those 0 postcount folks?
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Actually I've seen some strange attitude to people here latetly. Everybody must help or should go away. Actually if all those people who DLed the maps would have posted their thoughs about it - it would have helped us more than a few new modders.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Stalkers right. BTW I really like the current Old Ebonheart castle. As for the area around FW, I placed part of a misc. quest in the exterior North of FW (its a small camp) but this quest has not been reviewed or merged yet so we are trying to get a few things there.

One of the most annoying things about FW, is every place the player needs to go often is reasonably difficult to get to. The Mages Guild, Fighters Guild, and Imperial Chapel are all deep within the castle (though if you look there is an exterior door very close to that location) The worst is getting to the Hill Baqstion (where the Imperial Legion quest giver is located). Levitation actually helps quites a bit in getting to places (the hill bastion in particular). Oh well, this will likely get better with time and experience playing (and Sadrith Mora had very similar problems). But then again laying down one Mark spell in the castle near the two guilds and the chapel puts you close to all three at a recall (and Divine Intervention could help put you at the door to that hallway). [I wonder if anyone set the DI marker. I'll check tonight]

The Aktosh statue should be replaced if we have a statue to replace it with...if not it should stay as is in my opinion. I'm not sure if any new Imperial statues exist.

-Starcrunch
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Agreed - the second time I played through TES3 - I just put a mark down on Wolverine Hall and worked through every quest I could find in Sadrith Mora before moving on - a bit of a pain in the backside. However, I do think it would be preferential to include some other means of access to the guilds (something like a backdoor) if they do indeed prove to be fairly inaccessible. There is always the guild guide for the Mage's Guild, so maybe just another, quicker entryway for the Fighter's guild?

...and Yankovar, I really do think it is a good idea to find outside input for the mod. Firewatch spun me out the first time I went through it - I trust it will be interesting to hear some more input. :)
welp
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Stalker wrote:
Massalinie wrote:
uh... thats why
He just states that he has no interest in helping us to make it but in playtesting the maps. So why should it be a joke ?
I'm just asking! sheesh! it seemed stupid to me, that if he doesnt want to help that sload lord should suggest us letting him help! Thats all! god, stupid f******.... can't say anything.....grrrrrrr
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

well actually mass makes a point

If he has no interest in TR or lore, all he could basically judge on is aesthetics, which might lead to him liking only really big spectacular things, which basically here we feel are over done sometimes. I mean if he could be told about a little lore, and look after things like that, it would be a lot better.
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I can try and get my friend william to make some comments in TR's work. He nearly fainted when I explained about TR. He's a big Morrowind junkie himself.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

yeah, about 5 friends of mine are checking out the project; one will probably actually join soon (he can mod).
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
The_Writing_Wraith

Post by The_Writing_Wraith »

Vernon wrote:Agreed - the second time I played through TES3 - I just put a mark down on Wolverine Hall and worked through every quest I could find in Sadrith Mora before moving on - a bit of a pain in the backside. However, I do think it would be preferential to include some other means of access to the guilds (something like a backdoor) if they do indeed prove to be fairly inaccessible. There is always the guild guide for the Mage's Guild, so maybe just another, quicker entryway for the Fighter's guild?
The Firewatch greeting service, a group of talented young Telvanni who never seem to get lost and love to help outsiders find their way around the important sites of the city, for a small fee and the chance to keep track of the goings on of foriegners in the city. A rough equivalent to the gondoliers in Vivec, only more snobbish and schemeing in their dialouge interactions.

Anyway as to the subject of the thread, this is a very good idea. We need people who have no real knowledge of the project to see if it "feels" right.
In the 550's Byzantine Generals Narses and Liberius were winning battles into their 80's. Retirement programs, though no longer including raping and pillaging, have clearly improved since.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Majra wrote:well actually mass makes a point

If he has no interest in TR or lore, all he could basically judge on is aesthetics, which might lead to him liking only really big spectacular things, which basically here we feel are over done sometimes. I mean if he could be told about a little lore, and look after things like that, it would be a lot better.
Just because something's aesthetically pleasing doesn't mean it is spectacular. Of course, someone with little skill trying to make something look really cool will make it grand and spectacular, but it doesn't necessarily follow the other way. If a modder manages to make a barren plains whose sense of desolation is absolutely stunning, or a run down cluster of shacks that perfectly convey the sense of a washed up backwater, that's still going to be recognized by some guy just running through the map, even if he doesn't know how to make that kind of impression.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

I realised a long time ago that I think small, non-spectacular skillfully made detailed areas beat large, grand, "special" areas any time when it comes to aestetics.