Aesthetic, Consistancy and Logic Problems

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Aesthetic, Consistancy and Logic Problems

Post by Sload »

These aren't really errors, so I didn't post them in the errors thread. Here are things in Firewatch.

Archer, Archer, Wherefore art thou an Archer?

Firewatch has way to many Imperial Archers. You may notice that there are only 8 on Vvardenfell, and atleast 8 in Firewatch. There is even one in the Reception Hall. He needs to be changed for sure, and the others need to be changed or a dialogue needs to be added about the Duchess loving ranged weapons (also should have a high end bow in her room, maybe?)

Konan...the Salesman!

Shouldn't the sails man at Iron Grip weapons not be a barbarian? Same for the smith.

Lockity Lockity

There are a lot of locking problems. Ra'Zhirr's house should be locked, he lives upstairs in someone else's house, and isn't home.

The Duchess has a lock leve 100 and no trap going into her room, and a lock level 100 and trap going out. The player wont get into the room without unlocking the door, so the door from the inside shouldn't be locked. The same goes for all locked doors like this. Also, the door to the guest rooms is unlocked from the outside but locked level 80 from the inside? You may want to note that you have to get past a level 80 locked door and a level 85 locked/trapped door to get to a room with a Khajiit in it, but only one level 100 untrapped door to get to the duchess's room.

One of the guard towers has a nice arsenal on the top level, and no locks or guards to keep you away from it. Not good. The same goes for the dinning room in the castle. There is one NPC who doesn't seem to move and who is facing away from the table, which is loaded with expensive silverware.

Dey's gone Bonkers in dah Dillmoons!

Dillmoon Manor is, well, ew. He has Helseth's face, for one thing. That's a unique face. He has necromancy books in plain site and is, infact, a Dunmer. Also, what kind of name is Dillmoon? He moves and has no pathgrid, has badly stacked sacks which are the same (10 saltrice). There's a bolt of cloth in his front room, why? His pillow is messy, why? It isn't much a manor either.

Planning a trip to Ald'ruhn, Mr. Commoner?

Everyone has guides to Vvardenfell. Everyone. I can see the Duchess having Vvardenfell and Vivec, and the library having all of them. But does x commoner in Firewatch need a guide to Ald'ruhn. Trust me, he isn't going there soon. It's quarentined for heaven's sake!

Common Man better keep your head!

There are a lot of Commoners around town. To many. Like the barkeeper's a commoner, the rich man in the castle's a pauper, the lady owning a house that isn't hers and which has fancy stuff is a commoner.

Crazy Eddie's Tapestry Imporium!

Loads of tapestries hiding parts of the house. It's over used and gets lame fast, unless Firewatch is having a hippy fest?

Just take a look inside a book!

Two book problems I've found. Arrell is the lucky owner of two Honor Among Theives. Why two? Also, isn't this book supposed to be the Theives' Guild version of "Origins of the Mages' Guild"? The other is No-H's book of Wood. This book is weird, and has some graffiti in it. In every copy. Shouldn't there be two copies, one with graffiti and one without it? This is particularily obvious when you notice that there are a good 6 of them in the same library.

The Lord's New Clothes

Lord Adlan owns a clothier. What's so lordly about him?

Just some thoughts o' mine.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Thanks sloadlord. As for the NPCs being incomplete... i plan on combing through them with a fine toothed comb. They are currently in quite a sorry state. I'll probably need help from other members as well... we'll see when the time comes.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

"Lord" Adlan is Fedrin Adlan, who is Hyacinth's husband (the woman who seems out of place). The name Lord is a term used to embelish his store and make it sound better than it really is. He is rather welathy however.

I have made a quest that concerns Fedrin Adlan (and the other merchants of Firewatch) changing this cell name will break that quest as a script refers to it. Also please don't touch Hyacinth I really need a level < 5 commoner for the Imperial Cult quests and she's the one I want. As for there being too many commoners, well look around Vvardenfell and you will find a lot of commoners

(Seyda Neen in particular seems to have many of them).

@Morden: I've started going through the NPC's and posted errors in the Map1 thread concerning pathgrids and AIsettings, but seeing as it's all of them I stopped. If you need any help going through and laying grids and setting AIsetting correctly let me know, I'd love to help with that.
Maybe it could even be a matter of claims, sort of like the Map detailers.

-Starcrunch
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

OK, Lord Adlan just seemed kinda funny to me. I don't remember, but is Lord Adlan named Fedrin Adlan as the NPC, and just his shoppe named "Lord." Maybe make Hyacinth to Hyacinth Adlan and Fedrin's House to Fedrin Adlan's House.

As for there being to many commoners, it's just that some people should not be commoners but are. Having the bartender a commoner is like having Arrile a commoner, using your Seyda Neen reference. I'd like permission to add an untouched version of No-H's book and remove some of the tapestries, please.

And More for Lockity Lockity

The Blue Drawing Room has a guard and nothing of particular value. The Red Drawing Room has no guard and three expensive peices of "china." I would personally remove the guard, so that the players have something to nab. Maybe put him in the Dinning Room, which has a table full of free silverware (as I said before.)
Abramul

Post by Abramul »

No Touchy

The NoPickUp script is a good idea, since it preserves the aesthetics of a room...but I've noticed some plates in crates now have this script.
Last edited by Abramul on Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamriel is an impossible place, built on impossible precepts. It's, frankly, a magic ball of sentient schizophrenia. --MK
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

His name is just Fedrin Adlan. Hyacinth is sort of strange as most Bretons use two names.

In general:
Bretons, Dunmer, and Imperials use two names.
Khajiit, Altmer (only 1 exception in the whole Beth. product and its Something Anduae, she's a Vampire Ancient), Bosmer, and Redguards use one name.
Argonians use compound names or one name.
Nords use one or two names (the second name describes them ususally and does not reflect family connections).

I think that's right, IIRC. Actually Bretons are the ones I'm most unsure about, one name may be more common as an Altmeri influence.

EDIT: Forgot the Redguards, added them.

-Starcrunch
Last edited by Starcrunch on Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Well, even if most Bretons have one or two names (I think it's a mix) it is pretty necessary for explaining this. Redguards also usually have one name.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Abramul wrote:No Touchy

The NoPickUp script is a good idea, since it preserves the aesthetics of a room...but I've noticed some plates in crates now have this script.
Is this why I can't remove the pies in Ilnori's Bakery?

It's a bad idea anyways. If they removes the plates or pies or radioactive dodo feathers, they know that they are doing it. They are intentionally "ruining" the aesthetics. Keeping them from doing that defies the whole "you can do anything!" ideas of The Elder Scrolls.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Sadly, I have to agree with Sload Lord. The nopickup script limits the gameplay and should probably only be used for nailing down items that are necessary for a quest or some such thing. It's not what I'd prefer to see, but what is proper according to the game.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Just for clarity I'd like to note that these are in the opposite order of importance, i.e. Logic > Consistency > Aesthetics. That's my opinion atleast.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

I think the No-Touchy stuff should only be used, like Sload said, for stuff that's unremovable, like the sword decorations in the halls of FW... And not for pies lieing around in the local bakery.
Nathan Commons