the worst games ever

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

nietzsche

the worst games ever

Post by nietzsche »

Ok.
Since there is a thread about the best games ever, I decided to start a thread about the worst games ever

so here is my list (at least for starters) about some of them:

MOO 3
all sports games
all rally games (excluding perhaps GTA if you count that as a rally game)

Arcanum (pretty much one-time use game. Besides it favoured too much the tech-side IMO. And you could have achieved magic mastery in all of the colleges of magic)

CIV III (too hard a.k.a you couldn't cheat :lol: )

that's for starters at least
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I agree with MOO 3 .. they blew a good franchise with that game... but Arcanum as being a one time through game? How exactly were you playin it? Kill everyone in town and walk on?
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Re: the worst games ever

Post by Seran »

nietzsche wrote: CIV III
*Seran runs and chokes nietzsche and shakes him like homer whould bart*

take that back... take that back..
Don't let me hear that again.

*Seran shakes a bit more*
*And a bit more*

*and a bit more*

:)
If you don't bother with your past history. How do you know where your currently at? It's past what makes us who we are. And who we will be. Ignoring that, is ignoring who we are and where we're going.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Kreed
Doom3 (not the worst but comparing to Doom1 and Doom2...)
BTW what is MOO ?
And Arcanum rocks... Though I never completed it.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Baalzebub

Post by Baalzebub »

ehem arcanum RULES i tell you RULES but the worst must be the kreed,chaos league and ALL!! sport games suck

and stalker moo is masters of orion and moo2 rules havent tryed moo3 yet tough.
The lord of flies "Baalzebub" will come to earth and kill all living things, none will survive....exept for the flies naturally.

"silence"
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Nietzsche, are you joking?

imo Civ 3 is one of the most amazing examples of game theory ever put into code. I also totally disagree with Arcanum; that's by far - by far one of the best games I have ever played. What did you dislike about it exactly?

Games that suck:

Well...

Anything lazily ported from a console,
Daikatana (bought it to see how bad it was and man did it suck ass),
Far Cry (for being a tech demo, and nothing but a tech demo),
Medal of Honour - Pacific Assault (AI? What AI? More like ADHD),
Myst (Macintosh slideshow that had the pretense of being more cerebral than it really was).

There are more, but those stick in my mind as the worst.
welp
andreas of austevoll

Post by andreas of austevoll »

It must be caesar. the buildings burns and collapses all the time really frustrating
I will never return..............

Bye
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Republic: The Revolution
Total Recall
Revolution X
Anything related to Myst
Drake of the 99 dragons
And pretty much any game based on a movie
Lord Elias
Reviewer

Post by Lord Elias »

Let me see... :?
-Ghost Recon propably,too complicated...
-Breed
I cant remember anything else...Ecsept,i played Empire Earth 2 demo recently and got pretty disapointed...it looked like a clon of the Rise Of Nations...
:)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ok ok here is my list of worst games ever

a)Everquest (for not having anyhting intresting to do yet releasing expansion after expansion... all with nothing to do)
b)Lineage 2 *Gets my coster of the year award(i using as a drink coster*(for bieng glitchy and unfun)
c)Myst... for bieng myst

i got more, just gotta think of em
PaulShin

Post by PaulShin »

andreas of austevoll wrote:It must be caesar. the buildings burns and collapses all the time really frustrating
I agree completely.. I nearly finished Pharaoh, Zeus and Emperor but couldn't get past second mission in ceasar III..

Other games that suck:
Blowout (some stupid DN:MP-like game)
Doom 3
Saga: rage of Vikings, because I have 3 of it (original legal versions..)
Interiors done: 0/0/1/12 (C/S/R/A)
Interiors reviewed: 18 (Not a reviewer atm)
Current Project:
-Imperial Forts mod (nonTR)
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

You know calling a game stupid just because you can't play it right... Caesar III was easy. A few minutes and all your city is separated into self-sufficient disticts.
Ghost Recon was good. Yes, I agree that at first it was too much complicated but later it was OK.
Lineage 2... I play it right now. Yes, it lags like fucking hell while I have rather good connection. Yes, it has lot's of glitches and fucking frustrating quests (have you ever tried to get a pet ? Try. You will spend 40000 adena just TO FAIL THAT GODDAMN FUCKING TEST). But it is fun. When you're not alone of course.
I absolutly don't agree about Far Cry. It is a really good game. Doom 3 is what you can call a tech demo.

Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

All of the Catz and Dogz games! (i doubt if any of you have ever played them but I have years and years ago and they SUCKED!!!

Also, Portal Runner on Playstation (I don't have a playstation anymore cos my dad burtn a resistor trying to put in a MOD chip). Portal Runenr was easy and it sucked

An also IMO every nintendo game ever created!!!!
(except Zelda which I loved and Mario which is a classic)
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Stalker, Far Cry sucked just as much as Doom 3 imo.
Massalinie wrote:All of the Catz and Dogz games! (i doubt if any of you have ever played them but I have years and years ago and they SUCKED!!!
Sure - you loved them. |-P
welp
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Test Drive 6. Yes I actually bought it and it scored a 13% PC Gamer review!
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

I too hated Far Cry. The scenery was the best I have ever seen in a game, but the plot was a cheap Half Life ripoff, and even on the easiest setting, that game was too fuckin' hard.
Besides that, Knights of the Old Republic was pretty bad. I played it for maybe two hours, trying to force myself to develop the addiction that everyone claimed to have. But man, that game bored the shit out of me. I give it an F-.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

[quote="Stalker"]
Lineage 2... I play it right now. Yes, it lags like fucking hell while I have rather good connection. Yes, it has lot's of glitches and fucking frustrating quests (have you ever tried to get a pet ? Try. You will spend 40000 adena just TO FAIL THAT GODDAMN FUCKING TEST). But it is fun. When you're not alone of course.
quote]

buahahahahah that doesnt sound very entertaining...

i suggest you wait till the end fo the month, and switch to city of heroes, much better ;)
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

I fully agree that Far Cry had one of the most stupid plots ever which had abosolutly nothing to do with Hlaf Life BTW. It wasn't hard. It was laggy. I had a decent PC and couldn't play on Medium grafical settings.
But KOTOR being the bad game ??? Dex you ought to be sick. KOTOR was damn cool. KOTOR2 was fucking raw. They cut out 2\3 of the game. But it was good anyway.

Themicles

Post by Themicles »

Dexter wrote:... but the plot was a cheap Half Life ripoff, ...
Umm... you obviously haven't played Half Life in a long time.

Big difference between interdimensional teleportation experiments, and genetic experiments. Far Cry was more Island of Dr. Moreau.

As for Doom 3... *shrugs* It was a like it or hate it game. And for most people, it was the dark, and the way the flashlight was done that made them hate it. ;P But, you can't deny the fact that the engine is a very good one, though. It's a simple, technical, fact.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Well I only watched my friend play Half Life 2, but it seemed to me like a guy stumbling across a secret plan to develop evil monsters. Sounds like Far Cry to me.
And KOTOR was so boring that I was afraid the game sterilized me. I seriously had to go to a doctor to make sure that I could still father children after playing that game. Generic NPCs with staple dialogue was bad enough. Find an NPC who isn't like all the others? Make a note, he'll probably be important... Then there was the fact that when combat started, the game would bloody freeze up. They took the awesome prospect of lightsabre fights and turned it into a friggin chess game. Jedi Academy had a good combat system. I was so bored when fighting in KOTOR that my head slipped off my hand (which was supporting it to keep me from falling asleep) and I hit my forehead on the corner of my desk. I got knocked out cold. Then I woke up and remembered that I was supposed to go to the hospital that night and visit my friend who had cancer, but since I didn't come, he lost the will to live and died that night. Thanks a lot LucasArts, you killed my friend and produced a boring combat system. I'm not sure which is worse.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

... buahahahahah I kinda agree, it was slightly boring (which is odd for em to say because I like technical games like that) it was just boring.

As for half life tI'll do a brief summary of storyline

A physisict named Gordon Freeman is helping people do an experiment where he works when it opens a portal through space to the planet xen, where aliens coem on through and attack. The point of the game is to escape black mesa alive and slowly changes to be soemthing else...

As for halflife 2

The physisict Gordon Freemn is bieng tracked down. He knows the truth of what happened at blck mesa and the new leader of the human/?? combine (really a stool pigeon for the someone) is trying to trck him down and capture/kill him. Durign which ti9me all freeman is trying to do is save a scientest, however it ends with an explosion which causes a civil war against the martial law combine...
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

Myst, without a doubt, is the most mind-numbingly boring experience I've ever had sitting in front of a computer. Piss easy, but boring. I had to open up some pron to recover.

Also, Oni. 'Nuff said.
[Maybe Not]Done With TR[Quite Yet]
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Dexter wrote:I was so bored when fighting in KOTOR that my head slipped off my hand (which was supporting it to keep me from falling asleep) and I hit my forehead on the corner of my desk. I got knocked out cold. Then I woke up and remembered that I was supposed to go to the hospital that night and visit my friend who had cancer, but since I didn't come, he lost the will to live and died that night. Thanks a lot LucasArts, you killed my friend and produced a boring combat system. I'm not sure which is worse.
OMGWTFBBQ.

Far Cry was a piece of crap. Stalker, you still haven't explained why you think it is a "really good game."
welp
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Doom 3. It's even more linear than Doom 2 was, although the graphics engine is impressive. But such lousy map design is rarely seen.

Half Life 2 was actually very good at start and halfway through, the part with the vehicles and the revolt with those great city fights. But the devs had serious brain shitage when they did the last couple of episodes. The complex at the end is totally boring and the lack of any weapons but the souped up gravity gun there is just hilarious. And NOT in a positive way.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

@Vernon: What does the BBQ bit stand for in OMGWTFBBQ? Barbeque? because that doesn't make any sense. :lol:
Vyvara Araneae
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vyvara Araneae »

Graff wrote:Myst, without a doubt, is the most mind-numbingly boring experience I've ever had sitting in front of a computer. Piss easy, but boring. I had to open up some pron to recover.
Although I admit the puzzles in Myst were rather easy, I enjoyed the game depite this. As a result, I continued to play through all the sequels as well, appreciating the graphic eye-candy and the slightly more creative puzzle structures. :)

*calls down "rain of cookies" for everyone's enjoyment*
[url=http://thebluequeen.bravehost.com][img]http://a146.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/55/l_4424b83f00b96927698e547d14390aa9.jpg[/img][/url]

"I don't know if I should be honored to be the first one created, or angry that I'm a puddle of ejaculate." -Dexter (02.05.06)
Timito

Post by Timito »

-Daikatana
-Pretorians
-Jurassic Parc advance
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Also, I hate Runescape. (if online games count) Never play it. It has no purpose. Yu just fart around trying to become the best. It was tedious and a HUGE waste of the hours i spent playing it befor eI realised this. Then I found TR :D
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

Dexter, KOTOR rules... It is one of the best games ever.

But I laughed my ass off when reading your ironic, long post.

To quote Vernon:
Vernon wrote:OMGWTFBBQ.
Edit: Oh, I almost forgot. The worst game I have ever played is... Uhm... Damn, I only play good games... :P
"Bling shizzle, here's a revizzle . . .oh god, I'm so white. . . "
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
S'Kala

Post by S'Kala »

Harry potter and the chamber of secrets is the worst ever game. I got bored just watching my brother attempt to play it.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Far Cry was a piece of crap. Stalker, you still haven't explained why you think it is a "really good game."
Because I liked it. I liked level design. I mean open levels, not corridor run altough some of it was fun too. I liked the boat episode but I hated almost all levels with mutants.

Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Deus Ex. Horrible game.

Actually, you know what? ALL PC shooters suck. Especially UT. The keyboard mouse combo just doesn't work.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

In defense of mentioned shooters.

Far Cry-ok the story sucked. The gameplay was great though, very fun. And I agree with stalker on the level design.

Doom 3-It was linear yes, it had great graphics, but how do you dis the gameplay? What did you play on easy, during the day, with all the lights on in your house? Doom 3 does scaring the shit out of you very very well. You never feel safe anywhere or anytime in that game. They did seriously F*&% up the plasma gun though. Lame excuses for hating it: the dark and the flashlight. Ok practically, you should be able to weild a flashlight and gun at the same time, but then it'd be too easy. as is, you have to choose between two safety blankets, a weapon, or being able to see where demonic crap is hiding.

Half-Life 1&2 - Pure unadultured gaming bliss. both incredibly immersive, fun and timeless. I still have fun playing the original HL single player game. Valve just sucks at making the last levels of games, xen and that citadel sucked.

Ghost recon 1- complicated? rainbow six in the woods. fantastic for multiplayer.

KOTOR took me a while to get into, combat was damn hard(I'd have prefered direct control like jedi knight)

Myst and series is an either love it or hate it game too. Personally I've found the series enjoyable. It's best played with two minds working together. I've played the whole series with my father and loved it, but if I played it alone, it would be boring.

The worst game ever:

Jurassic Park:Trespasser
disenbodied double jointed(at every joint) arm, 75% of your downward vision blocked by boobs and able 7 frames per second. need I say more?
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Deus Ex. Horrible game.

Actually, you know what? ALL PC shooters suck. Especially UT. The keyboard mouse combo just doesn't work.
Hehe.. now you're just trolling Stumpy. :P
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

My opinion was asked, and I gave it. I admit it, I'm a console fanboy, I just cannot STAND using WASD to move my characters. Did you know that I went out and bought an Xbox controller to USB adapter to play TR on my PC?
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

To be quite fair, with the exception of typing in names for character, enchanted items, and potions, I think the x-box controller is much nicer than a keyboard for playing MW.
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

The same goes for most games.
Nathan Commons
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Eraser wrote:Doom 3-It was linear yes, it had great graphics, but how do you dis the gameplay? What did you play on easy, during the day, with all the lights on in your house? Doom 3 does scaring the shit out of you very very well.
I actually played it a lot when it was dark and on 'hard' (the third level, it was called different I think, but can't recall) but usually strafing with the shotgun and firing did the trick. And I never felt threatened or scared at all, every time one of these cinematics played when a new 'evil creature' came up, it was 'Ohh, not another semi-lame-scary effect please!'. Very comparable to a very bad horror movie.. it you want to be scared by it, you will, but really getting into it is not possible. At least for me, it just didn't do it.
Eraser wrote:Valve just sucks at making the last levels of games, xen and that citadel sucked.
Too true. I all but forgot about Xen. Way too lame and really fucked up the end. I actually played HL1 many a times but only got thru Xen once.
Annon
Developer

Post by Annon »

what about school tycoon?

Edit: and halo 2 must be the worst game ever
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Halo 2 was good but my version had some buggy animations.

The absolute worst game of all time must be Back to the future 2 and 3 for the NES. You had to run around descrambling words and doing stupid minigames. if you actually managed to beat 2 it would let you play three which was more of the same with different graphics and more boring levels.