the worst games ever

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

nietzsche

Post by nietzsche »

Fallout also? *makes personal note: Buy Fallout ASAP!!!*
:lol: :lol: :lol: yes, that's true. you can try to persuade the end boss to self-destruct in Fallout I. In Fallout II you can persuade the stromtrooper squad (or whatever those men in tin cans were called) to aid in dispatching the "special agent" and also the security over-ride system will help. So technically it is not necessary to your character to kill the bad guy, eh? okay, bad joke
most stories in games would never be read, if they were books. This also counts for some RPGs. They should hire professional writers to make those stories, perhaps this would improve the quality of games in general.
this is already a problem, for example, in morrowind. the trouble is that nobody wants to read the books because they haven't got any meaning in the game. There has to be some catch like in the theatre troupe quest in Mournhold.
Well, we could do it. We could establish a new game-developing-company whichs main goal would be to create intelligent, creative and original games with good and deep stories. Perhaps we would hit a niche in the market, who knows?
That is a very good idea. I hope you are serious about this and not just talking
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Enough with the spoliers already!!!

;)
welp
nietzsche

Post by nietzsche »

Same counts for Arcanum. A lot of problems inside the game can be solved by having a high talent of persuasion (can be learned in the game) and some by being intelligent enough to realize complex problems (especially with the dwarf king and the dwarven philosophy of stone and form). And you can philosophize with Khergan (the end-boss), until he realizes that his philosophy (everyone should die; he believes the same thing as the dustmen in Planescape) is wrong.
Yes, quite right. But how many of us usually stops to think about what lines to choose? I mean, what it comes to dialogue, to most of the players it is just "yeah yeah yeah, blaah blaah blaah". If you know what I mean. I am not trying to be mean, i'm just being realistic. As I already have said, there has to be some catch. the problem is, in this case, that the catch should propably be something like not to able to carry on with the quest. And that would certainly create problems. So as you can see, quite a lot of problems. Still, i am not against your idea. Actually, I don't know what the hell i am talking about
Darnoc

Post by Darnoc »

Yes, quite right. But how many of us usually stops to think about what lines to choose?
A heretic!!! Burn him!!! :lol:

No, serious, the story and the dialogues are the most important parts in a game, at least for me. I always think about what to say, because I want to know everything that goes on. Perhaps this has something to do with me being a writer myself...
this is already a problem, for example, in morrowind. the trouble is that nobody wants to read the books because they haven't got any meaning in the game. There has to be some catch like in the theatre troupe quest in Mournhold.
This is not, what I meant. I meant, if the main-story of a computer game would be adapted into a book, no one would read it, because most stories in computer games are really bad.
That is a very good idea. I hope you are serious about this and not just talking
I am serious. Acctually this is an idea, I always wanted to realize. Altough I have no graphical or programming skills and am very bad at maths. What I have is ideas and writing skills, so I could write stories and quests, while someone else makes a game out of it. It pays to train yourself in writing for several years, you know. I keep everything I have written, in order to watch my progress. I reached my momentarily height by finishing my first novel last September (altough I'm still searching for a publisher).
[url=http://www.xonder.at/cgi-bin/yabbserver/foren/F_0593/YaBB.cgi][img]http://mitglied.lycos.de/lothiel/ME/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
nietzsche

Post by nietzsche »

Enough with the spoliers already
Ok, it seems to me that you are beginning to fed up to my analyses. If that is so, I can stop and not comment to this thread anymore
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

nietzsche wrote:
Enough with the spoliers already
Ok, it seems to me that you are beginning to fed up to my analyses. If that is so, I can stop and not comment to this thread anymore
He had a smiley in his post.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
nietzsche

Post by nietzsche »

He had a smiley in his post.
In deed he had. And I didn't even notice that
BTW, what does spoliers mean? propably spoilers?
could you explain to me what you meant vernon? :?:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I didn't even bother to read all the posts, but the game that I think is absolutely terrible is Halo (both Halo and Halo 2).

To recieve all the near perfect reviews it got is just mind blowing. The game's graphics were just so bland. It was as if the developers concentrated on making Master Chief look like a stupid mixed hybrid of a Japanese anime robot and a green Mercedes Benz. Other character's models looked like they were half assed creations by some retarded kid with left handed safety scissors. The gameplay is OK at best. Going around shooting stuff is fun... for about 10 minutes. The story is also stupid. I mean aliens fighting humans... again... oh wait there are two different types of aliens... wow... that hasn't been done before.

Now that I'm done ranting, I did not mean to offend anyone by using the word retard. Just to let you know, I love those goofy looking bastards.
Thane

Post by Thane »

I did not mean to offend anyone by using the word retard. Just to let you know, I love those goofy looking bastards.
I smell a lawsuit. ;)
"We are the Knights who say-NI!"
"Now bring us a shrubbery"
"A nice one, but...not too expensive..."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

anything pertaining to basketball and NFL sucks. However, NCAA Football is good, as is MLB Baseball. Myst sucks because it's too boring. Ceasar was crap because everything kept burning to the ground. Finally, and please don't hate me for this, but Tribunal sucks.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

I'll agree with those that say Halo is a steaming pile of shit. Just how many levels and in-game assets did the Bungie intern get to design?

Also, nietszche: I meant spoiler - a spoiler is where you reveal a film, book or game plot without warning. I was only kidding anyhow. ;)
welp
Upsilon
Developer

Duke Nuken 64 killed me...

Post by Upsilon »

The game I HATED to most was Duke Nuken on the Nintendo 64!!! The voice of Duke made me become totally crazy... "Damn I good! Damn I good!" It just CAN'T go out of my head. PLUS, the graphics were terrible, it was repetitive and often ridiculous...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Men In Black
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

Runescape.....
Cjad the Nord

Post by Cjad the Nord »

Actually, Halo had 3 enemy types. And 3 other enemy types. That's 6 enemy types. :wink:

The game world is divided into two exact groups on Halo/2. The first, is they hate the game for everything it has to offer.. The second, is they love the game for everything it has to offer. There's never a chance to cross the lines, because it's a decided-before-playing issue. People who hate the game and play it find out that yes, they hate it. Still, though, fortunatly there is a magical philosaphy of oppinions, so much flaming ensues over the internet.

Personally, I love both games.

The worst game I have ever played is, to say, Dues Ex: Invisible War. It was like playing Morrowind with guns while drunk with an orangutang hanging off your back while it masturbated. The controls were the clunkiest things I've ever dealt with (standard FPS controls, but placed in a terrible FPS). The dialogue came directly from KoToR, and the story was as exciting as margarin. I actually started shooting baskets on the basketball court in the beginning level while the entire base was exploding around me. I kept doing that till I made a shot, which took forever due to the games "Realistic Physics" that allows me to toss bodies 20 feet across a room.

Don't even let me get started on stealth. Combat is terrible, to. You don't need a gun, you can do everything using your melee weapons. Upgrading stuff is kinda cool (I put everything I found into this Poison Needle pistol that's initially terrible and made it better than a rocket launcher).

The only redeeming quality about the game was that I got it free with the Graphics Card I bought.

Another game I don't like, but only because people are blown away with it while I thought it was "okay"...Final Fantasy 7 :wink:

If you attack me for that last comment, then re-evaluate your life, fanboy
Pwn: "The term has become so ubiquitous in Internet circles that it is often used outside of gaming contexts; for example, "he just got pwned in that debate" or "the hunters pwned that bear."
Upsilon
Developer

Post by Upsilon »

I'll add a few more...

1. Halo and Halo 2 were pieces of crap. Exactly at Microsoft's image. Everybody loves the game, but there's nothing special to it. The damn covenants are so ridiculous. I always get the feeling something's missing when I play that game... I just don't understand why people get all euforic just talking about it. The damn is normal, okay, just okay. Nothing more! Once, I went to a trip with school and some people spent the whole night playing Halo in the hotel. I slept.

2. Blade 2 was a... I don't even want to talk about it. Almost all games based on movies are waste of time, money and intelligence.

3. Sim City. Sim City is a very good game. But God, it's sooo hard!

4. All Mario Parties. I guess you have to push on the button at lightspeed to enjoy that game. I was always the one who had no stars, no coins at the end of the game, but I was damn happy it was finished!!!

5. And Duke Nuken 64 is hunting me...

On the other hand, I almost cry thinking about Final Fantasy 10. I just loved that game, it was my first FF. Metal Gear Solid 2 was a work of art as well,the story is very good. Apart those two, I never experienced "true love" for a game.
Saibot
Developer

Post by Saibot »

First, the original Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the greatest games ever made.

Second, I liked Halo, I really enjoying blowing the crap outta all those aliens. But I hated Halo 2, it was basicly a clone of the original but with more vehicles and a playable alien. I mean come on they could have done that in ten minutes.

Third, the graphics of Final Fantasy VII sucked hard, but the game itself was so incredible that I didn't care. The story lines of all Final Fantasy rival anything ever made and FF7 is the greatest one so far.

Forth, KOTOR and KOTOR2 are awsome games but the battle system blows.

Fifth, It is my proffesional opinion that the worst game ever made is The Bouncer. What the hell was Square Enix thinking, I beat the damn thing in a total of 23 minutes. And on top of the that the plot sucked.

Last, as for the greatest game of all time, it has to be Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Its old, it has terrible graphics, it can be incredible difficult to find out what your supposed to do next. But the gameplay is absolutley incredible!
Haj

Post by Haj »

Wolfenstein 2D (yep, 2D, pixels bigger than your thumbnail ... of course most of you kids weren't even born when it came out.)

Haj
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

wolfenstein wasn't bad for its day ah the joys of shooting nazis three times as tall and wide as you :P
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Wolfenstein fucking ruled. Or it was 3D that ruled ? It ruled anyway.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Quill Rat

Post by Quill Rat »

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/bigrigsotrr/index.html?q=Big+Rigs%3A+Over+the+Road+Racing]Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing[/url]

Followed by the Hitman series, and all pay-to-play games.
"Do you guys ever stop acting like this war, this nation, even our own army, is part of a game?" James asked pitifully.
"Nope, life is a game. I just got to be game administrator." Replied the President mockingly.
ookami

Post by ookami »

I didn't think Daikatana was as abysmal as some people make it out to be. What I do recognise, though, is that it is still very lacking and it doesn't go anywhere near justifying all the stupid smacktalk that Romero put out in the media before the release of the game. I think it's the major example of talking the talk without being able to, ultimately, walk the walk that put Daikatana into the huge failure category.

I hate to sound like an industry soapboxer, but Daikatana is what happens when game devs spend too much time trying to be rock stars and not enough time actually being game devs.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

HALF-LIFE 2
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

*murders matt brutally*
anyway...
I've yet to see a console shooter that you could very easily look in any direction and move, strafe etc at the same time without being totally disoriented and being unable to keep a view you want.
That's honestly just because you're a n00b with the controller - and same with stumpy's baffling inability to use WASD. If you dont want to learn, you won't. I have no problem with either. I personally love PC and console EQUALLY; I grew up with the original zelda on gameboy and half-life on PC. Stop bashing consoles; start bashing shitty games.

That reminds me, that one game that comes free with the xbox LIVE pack; crimson skies - what a pile of shit. The enemies are germans, and they dont even BEGIN to try to pronounce it right. "die spinne" somehow became pronounced like "dye schpeenn". uuuurgh. I bet if I farted, it would be a more thoroughly researched and probable video game plot than crimson skies.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
ThorFluff

Post by ThorFluff »

Halo and Halo 2 SUCKS!
not only are they generally, bad, bland, poorly thought through and boring, they also claim to have the "NEW" concept of drivable vehicles and teamwork!!!
Starsiege Tribes anyone?

a game that rocks though : Commander Keen!
Works in Progress:
i4-17-Red ; The Fine Clothiere
i4-16-Red ; The Bachelor Pad
Finnished:
Ironbane ; The disintegrate armor spellbook
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

you've probably only played 10 minutes of both combined. Morrowind itself is the most boring piece of shit on the planet, if you dont bother to play it more than 2 hours ever.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Annon wrote:and halo 2 must be the worst game ever

It kills me to hear you say that... really im dying.

For the best FPS online action halo 2 outwieghs all games. I've played 1000's of games on xbox live strewn out between 3 accounts (seriously if you dont belive me check my stats Gamertag:Lounorte-Grande Bustos-MdK Stardust) and if you say agian halo 2 sucks "I will fight you, thats no lie" Quote Ron Burgandy

Although if your talking about single player i never completed past level 5 on halo 2 (Delta Halo I think)

EDIT: My worst game ever played was Doom 3 I hated it.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

no, halo 2 isnt the BEST online game - but since it's on a console, thats why it's so amazing. the more relaxed and "natural" controls of a console, plus the awesomeness of online play. good combo. Oh, and my gamertag is Sirwootalot67 (what else?).
If you ask me, the number one online FPS is by far Counterstrike, but I never got into it - it's IMPOSSIBLE to be a noob with it; you get pummeled every single damn game. it needs a matchmaking type thing, I think. not to mention it's tEh sUx on xbox.
DarkEclipse

Post by DarkEclipse »

...And here comes my un-wanted opinion!

Quote:
The dumbest and worst games ever are sport and racing games. No story. Always the same. No diversity. Why do people play those things?

Some of us don't have driver's liscenses or cars.

I never have liked The Fellowship of The Ring (Black Label games version), because it was just so boring. All the hacking and slashing... Of course, Morrowind has it's hack-n-slash moments, but everything else makes up for that.

And I didn't like Doom 3 either... It was repetetive. Nice graphics, but extremely repetetive and not even as scary as it should have been.
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

On Halo 2, I have to say that online it sucks. Sorry, but when I have to listen to a combination of four or five wannabe street-talkers, four or five little kids who try to cus but sound dumb, and probably a hacker or two, then it just plain out sucks.

The campaign and multi with friends, however, I think is wonderful.
Stendarr is the God of Mercy and Justice. Therefore, he must also be the bearer of Duck Tape, for only Mercy and Justice can use Duck Tape for the Good of man.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

you only hear wannabe gangsters and little kids, because peolpe that horribly stupid are of course gonna be stuck at 1 for their rank, which is what you are when you first start (having never played before). playing more and kicking ass makes you a higher rank; I do this almost enitrely so I can play with smarter people.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

He's right, I'm a 13 or a 14 on Halo 2, and all of that is almost gone.Once you get in the 20's (which isn't hard to do if you don't leave a game..that makes your points plumit compared to staying in the game till the end) and play alot of games...heck, I went from 5 to the 13-ish number in one night lol

The worst games by far though are all on Atari, and NES. Not saying games like Pitfall and Mario weren't good, they rawk,..but...most of the games suck! xX

I had a game called Cosmic Arc for the atari, and it was my oval-block picking up block headed blocks with my big giant rectangle easter egg coloured block...all the while star-blocks in the background and anti-block blocks getting launched at me...oh, and the grinding sound that'ld make even Steven Hawking flinch xX
To sum it all up, think of a canadien military base's main computer :P
(sorry to any Canadiens out there, don't want to offend you >_<)