The Missing Cities of Tamriel

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

The Missing Cities of Tamriel

Post by Nomadic1 »

While looking up stuff in the 2920 Series, I came across this little quote:
"Not necessarily," said the Prince. "You don't want to give us Morrowind, and I can't fault you for that. But I must have your coastline to protect the Empire from overseas aggressions, and certain key strategic border castles, such as this one, as well as Ald Umbeil, Tel Aruhn, Ald Lambasi, and Tel Mothrivra."
Tel Aruhn is on Vvardenfell, but I can't recall TR ever doing anything about Ald Umbeil, Ald Lamasi or Tel Mothrivra. Is there time to add these cities, or should they just be forgotten?
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Hmm. I think that atleast one should have been destroyed, but atleast one should still be there.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
presh
Developer

Post by presh »

It couldn't hurt to throw a couple in along the coastline of map 2/6. Though is there any room? I haven't worked on these maps at all so I have no idea.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence."
-- M. Ghandi
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

You know what you are suggesting? Making a whole new city? That will be alot of extra work, while we already have so much work to do.
"Bling shizzle, here's a revizzle . . .oh god, I'm so white. . . "
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

They were in Ald Marak, so I think that atleast one of the extra castles were along the western border. I'd put Ald Umbeil as another Redoran style castle to the west of Oak Town, and Tel Mothrivha as a small telvanni tower to the northwest of Necrom. Ald Lambasi can be destroyed but have reference to it being somewhere.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

If we must add them, we should just rename cities we already made. It's much easier to change the name of an existing city then to add a whole new one. I'm totally against adding more cities as that would, and Kasan Moor said, increase our already heavy workload.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

That is what I was thinking. We have already added a considerable number of new cities to claims, it would be so much easier just to name these. Once you have a claim past the halfway mark, it would be a severe headache to have to go back and add something like a new city.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

They aren't cities though. They're forts. They shouldn't have more than like a main interior and one or two other interiors. Like the Redoran stronghold.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

They were forts in the 1st age...about 13 centuries ago.

-Starcrunch
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Starcrunch wrote:They were forts in the 1st age...about 13 centuries ago.

-Starcrunch
The same goes for Ald Marak and Ald Iuvel. I don't see your point.
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

Look at Tel Aruhn, that's not only a fort, is it?
"Bling shizzle, here's a revizzle . . .oh god, I'm so white. . . "
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Tel aruhn if I'm not mistaken, isn't much more than a telvanni wizard tower.

Forts aren't as much work to add, and we can just change the names of forts we already have.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Re: The Missing Cities of Tamriel

Post by Vegor »

"strategic border castles, such as (...) Tel Aruhn"
I really don't understand what this is about. Tel Aruhn is a Telvanni Tower on an isolated island without any strategic importance. Why do they call this a border castle? Could it have been one long ago and 'relocated', meaning another new city took over it's name after the original city ceased to exist (abandonned for some reason)?
fanfas
Developer

Re: The Missing Cities of Tamriel

Post by fanfas »

Vegor wrote:
"strategic border castles, such as (...) Tel Aruhn"
I really don't understand what this is about. Tel Aruhn is a Telvanni Tower on an isolated island without any strategic importance. Why do they call this a border castle? Could it have been one long ago and 'relocated', meaning another new city took over it's name after the original city ceased to exist (abandonned for some reason)?
I agree with that...
MAP 3 -> Interiors
Map 3 -> Interior Fixing
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I'm reckoning that in the first age, Tel Aruhn was the only settlement in the Zafirbel Bay as it is the only Telvanni settlement the Temple would allow on Vvardenfell. Or alternatively, it could have been relocated to Vvardenfell from elsewhere in Morrowind by BS (they admitted they've moved cities to Vvardefnfell; the only one we know of has been Ebonheart Castle).

As for the three cities missing, could these cities just be plonked down on unclaimed claims in Map 6 (preferably a coastal one to inhabit the otherwise vacant coast between Tear and Necrom) or one of those shitty Map 5 claims which I hear a lot about, so that a newbie can still have a city to do? With Tel Mothrivra, a ruin on the coast north of Necrom or something like that (or a Velothi dome) could be all that is needed.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Nomadic1 wrote:I'm reckoning that in the first age, Tel Aruhn was the only settlement in the Zafirbel Bay as it is the only Telvanni settlement the Temple would allow on Vvardenfell. Or alternatively, it could have been relocated to Vvardenfell from elsewhere in Morrowind by BS (they admitted they've moved cities to Vvardefnfell; the only one we know of has been Ebonheart Castle).
Even if Tel Aruhn would be the only settlement in Zafirbel Bay, it does not make it an important strategic position. It could be an important trade outpost, but it's location is vulnerable.

On your remark about being placed on Vvardenfell from the mainland; this book is only found in Morrowind, so I doubt it is based on information from Daggerfall/Arena lore.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I was thinking about it, they're trying to protect the eastern coastline. What if those forts line up to make a route to the coastline without having to set foot in a Dunmeri city?

They could be coming up the Pryai to Ald Marak and then up to the River Thirr, then to the Bay, then across the penninsula.

Perhaps Ald Umbeil was built near the city the Imperials burnt when they built Grand Ebonheart/Ebonheart City/Old Ebonheart/Port Zenithar, and then Ald Lambasi could've been on the Penninsula in Map 2 somewhere, and Tel Mothrivra could've been to the east of Alt'Bosara. This would've formed a chain to what may have been an important part of the coast.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

I am very confused now. The people of these forts almost certainly must be Dunmer. This lore comes from the end of the first age...Over 1000 years has gone by since this reference to these places. (2920 books) All of this took place 8 centuries before the Imperials could have epossibly razed Ebonheart.

-Starcrunch
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Let me rephrase and maybe it'll be clearer.

Perhaps Ald Umbiel was built near the Dunmer city which the Imperials burnt. Wait, that's the same thing. I don't think there's any other way to say it.

Ald Umbiel = Fort near a Dunmer City.

a Dunmer City = The city the Imperials later burnt.

So Ald Umbiel was basically a fort near the Dunmer City the Imperials destroyed. I think that's clear enough. Perhaps the ruins of this Ald Umbiel could be in the Ebonheart sewers.