NPC Moods?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

S'Kala

NPC Moods?

Post by S'Kala »

I'm not sure where to post this.
What if the NPC's had moods that actually changed from "day to day" (not just their disposition) i'm not sure whether it would take too much scripting/programming and i'm not at all skilled in that department.
Anyway, i was thinking, maybe there could be a way to show which mood they're in, like an icon in the dialogue box or something?
Please let me know what you think.
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Re: NPC Moods?

Post by Amrod »

S'Kala wrote:I'm not sure where to post this.
What if the NPC's had moods that actually changed from "day to day" (not just their disposition) i'm not sure whether it would take too much scripting/programming and i'm not at all skilled in that department.
Anyway, i was thinking, maybe there could be a way to show which mood they're in, like an icon in the dialogue box or something?
Please let me know what you think.
Good Idea. though it would take alot of scripting and possibly new animations. this should go in the bolt ons section I think.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

*ehem* this is being done in oblivion, and has probably been discussed already (maybe not tho) also, this should be in bolt ons,

it would be a cool idea, but the big question is: Is it possible?
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

Aren't the moods in oblivion based on how they think of you and not how they actually feel that day??
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

both i think, and i think the moods are fine the way they are ,S"Kala, the people already have moods...... they can be nice or mean, thats goood enough isnt it?
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

Massalinie wrote:both i think, and i think the moods are fine the way they are ,S"Kala, the people already have moods...... they can be nice or mean, thats goood enough isnt it?
\
Yeah it was a good idea. but it would take so much time. we'd probally do best to finsish morrowind first before thinking of such projects.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

?? whats the difference? its just a bolt on it wouldnt matter when it was done, anyhoo im no expert on this by any stretch of the imagination, perhaps some one who actually KNOWS if ths is possible or not could help us here?
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

At least as far as scripting goes this is pretty easy...and the same script can be used of every NPC. Where the extra work comes in is actually the dialogue for the NPC.

-Starcrunch
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

Starcrunch wrote:At least as far as scripting goes this is pretty easy...and the same script can be used of every NPC. Where the extra work comes in is actually the dialogue for the NPC.

-Starcrunch
Ah ok, i was thinking more of facial animations, or are they already in the game? Or was that not what you meant skala?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Facial animations and body language aren't do-able. Changing the mood rating according to the weather or time of day, etc., isn't a very hard script to write, but must be put on each NPC. It'd become rather tedious to do. But it'd be interesting if the NPCs that sounded so friendly on a sunny day would attack you on a stormy night.
S'Kala

Post by S'Kala »

Ok let me make myself clearer on this subject:
What i meant was there could be an icon in the dialouge box (maybe under the disposition bar) that could determine the mood they were in, Eg: :) or :( . They dont have to be complicated emotions just simple, like happy, sad and confused. Of course, the mood the NPC is in that day would affect their disposition.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hmmm - I've never tried to put a graphic in a dialogue box. It might be possible, but then you'd have to attach the graphics to some kind of "disposition" script. It's ingriguing, but a bit beyond my capabilities. Give it a shot, S'Kala, and let me know how you do. It'd be good for a bolt-on, at least.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

sorry, but S'Kala has no idea how to script! She could learn but to be honest i think this is beyond her, ian dont say why dont i do it then because its beyond me too, im still learning how to script, furthermore, S"kala doesnt have day-to-day access to morrowind so i suggest that if someone is interested in this that they should have a go cos she can't.
:)
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

I think you can put graphics in dialogue, I'm not sure though. The graphics could be controlled through dialogue settings, like different greetings, though then you'd have to change every greeting. I don't think it would be a good idea to include this in TR.
Nathan Commons
S'Kala

Post by S'Kala »

Ok, but thanks for you're views on the subject. :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hmm this might be capable by, instead of an con, a line of text underneath the orginal dialogue displayed what mood that person is, this could be added by scripts couldn't it? (i.e. Vamp Embrace mod added text to EVERYONE in the world in case your a vamp) couldn't it be possible to add text at the end of their conversations? maybe something like

Hello what do you need?

*S'Kala is looking sad right now*
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

nah, that would suck imo, it sure as hell would annoy me