3-3-Ind

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Dexter
Developer Emeritus

3-3-Ind

Post by Dexter »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_3-3-Ind (#107)
Faction: Indoril
Claimed by: Theo
Files: TR_3-3-Ind_Dexter_1.esp; TR_3-3-Ind_Haplo_1.esp; TR_3-3-Ind_Theo_1.esp; TR_3-3-Ind_Theo_2.esp; TR_3-3-Ind_Theo_3.esp; TR_3-3-Ind_Theo_4.esp

---

Claim now contains: Velothi Dome to the northwest, Ropebridge along cliff to the north, mountain labyrinth to the northeast, mountain pass to the west, dense forest with ruins in the middle, burial grounds and dead WG trees to the east, abadoned quarry to the southwest, overwatching Indoril platform on south, green valley pass to the southeast.
Number of interiors 5.
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

Revoked from Pedor, reopened for claiming.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Claiming.

Basically just going to stick to the Group Map landscape, and follow the surrounding claims. It\'s completely surrounded by completed claims, so I just have to fill in the blank.
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

Granted
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Update - Borders and textures are all finished, as well as landscaping. Only statics left, now.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

How's the claim going, and screenies?
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

He's away...for a week I think.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I'm back, progress going well, I'm taking screenies here and there. I'll upload some in a day or so.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Dropped, because of sudden personal engagements.

Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

gad dagnit...
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

dropped
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I would like to claim this and continue working on Haplo's work. It would be my first exterior ever so it is perfectly OK, if you reject me.
My idea is to put a small niche of forest to the east of claim, surrounded by cliffs with mountain paths above and perhaps some abadoned quarry with little waterfall coming into the pound down there, if there is place for it.
I promise that if I do not do any reasonable progress until end of next week, I will give this up myself.
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

Please download map 3 and match your claim to the surrounding claims. Granted
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Ok, progress time...

This is my first exterior claim ever and moreover my CS is desperately slow (if you have some advices how to speed up moding I would be grateful) so progress might be quite slow for now.
However I am learning as I go and I still have plenty of time in summer so I plan to finish this claim. But first I would like you to have a look on my screenies and say whether it is worthy or whether I should drop it...

EDIT: Pictures removed
Last edited by Theo on Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THEO
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Go to File>Preferences>Clipping distance and set it to the tick between "far" and "near". That will make your view distance lower, but will speed up cell loads.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Thanks, that might help a lot...
THEO
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Here is what I did so far:

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/WLKOUSZ/Claim.jpg[/img]

RED area is more or less finished. It contains huge three store Velothi Dome with caves under it which exit lower in the west towards the Almalexia.

In YELLOW area I would like to include dense forest with ruins of some old settlement, probably reaching to the mountains in the east. Also woodcutters hut might be there.

BLUE claim will contain quarry with mine entrance and possibly little lake with small waterfall.

I expect this claim to be finished by the end of July at latest.

EDIT: Could someone please advice me how can I make borders between cells visible?
THEO
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Simply press 'b'. That gives you the borders of Cells.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

3 large interiors in 9 cells seems like a bit much, in comparision with the rest of the mod. Maybe make the mine without a quarry and an abandoned shack instead.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Recently I experience some problems with my graphic card.
Possibly it is because the vent does not work properly and the card becomes overheated soon, so I unfortunately am not able to mod for too long time. However I do some progress and will do my best to finish this until end of August.

Basically I have an idea for each cell. In the future I would like to do some haunted quest in this area, for there is a story spawning behind each cell in my mind.

I need to do most work on the mine, burials, forest and platform in the southern part of claim. Other cells require more detailing (container flora) and I will have to redo vertex shading as well.

I hope to achieve nice memorable look for each cell with minimum interiors (possibly only the Velothi Dome, which can be replaced or removed), but I hope I will not put too much points of interest for such a small claim.

The esp is very dirty and contains lot of experimental statics and breaches to surrounding claims, which I will remove with Tesame alter.
Please do not download it now, I would die of shame if someone watched it, it is here just to backup.
THEO
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Omicron wrote:3 large interiors in 9 cells seems like a bit much, in comparision with the rest of the mod. Maybe make the mine without a quarry and an abandoned shack instead.
It is hardly unreasonable, however. Nine cells seems a darn sight bigger in game than it does in the CS.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

SHIT!
I really hate to do that, but I have to drop this claim.
Until I save on better computer I am technically unable to work on this.
I am so pissed of by this you cannot imagine. Despite being a shit exterior modder I wanted to finish this claim into perfection and improve my skills.
There is the messy esp on the top of this thread if someone wants to use it. Some work with TESAME and some deleting and this makes a bit more developed claim then Haplo posted.
If someone would like to take over the ideas I had for my claim I would praise his name, but if you use Haplo's version or start from scratch I will understand fully.
I hope Noir will not pull my ears for this too much, before he leaves.
THEO
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Eh, this is me Theo under new identity. The old is for some reason inactive, not that I want to change accounts that often. I just wanted to say I will keep this claim as I succeeded to install morrowind on my father's laptop and can mod there. Sorry for this mess.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Theo, I had Zeph re-activate your account.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Thank you both, guys. As if all bad spirits tried to prevent me from finishing this claim. Never :twisted:
The good news is that while not wasting time on this forums I placed 150 statics in one of cells and shaded them practically finishing it matching TR standards. I will update this thread soon with some juicy screenshots and new esp.
THEO
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Just letting you know I am still working on this. W, NW, N, SE cells finished.
The mine (SW) and the Indoril platform (S) give me some trouble, but I have made the basic shape already and will start adding details soon. Also E and NE have been redone and need just some detailing now. The biggest pain will be the central forest (C).
THEO
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

So here comes the recent version. I had to remove Vertex Shading again as it look awkward. First I will finish detailing and then study the shading technique on surrounding claims, or leave it to someone with more skill as this gives me a lot of trouble.
Quarry and platform are almost finished. I plan to add some details like dishes and other misc. items.
All other cells, except central forest, which really gives me trouble, are detailed.
Perhaps I could change a bit mountain path in N slope in W and dead forest in E. Right now number of objects in each cell varies from 150 in valley to 300 in quarry.
I will try to make some screenies, before my graphic card collapses again.
Working in 640x480 resoution with CS falling down each 5 minutes is no fun indeed.
THEO
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Screenies can be found here:

[url]http://photobucket.com/albums/y3/WLKOUSZ/[/url]

Please post comments and suggestions...
THEO
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

From what I can see it looks great, except for those fences next to the path. They are way too straight and perfectly alligned. It needs to look more wild and old. I
d say delete a lot of the parts of the fence and just let a few pieces remain and make their angles less uniform.

Toher than that, I love how it looks. Some parts really have that inhospitable look and the contrast with the fields is great.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

God damn that looks good. The mine especially, the whole thing is so convincing.
I agree with Vegor though. All you need to do is give some of the fence pieces a very slight angle, to make it look more random. Keep up the awesome work.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

yeah, looks great...
i can vertex-shade it for you later if you want to.
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Thank you everybody for your valuable comments. I will redo the fences as suggested. Except these I already finished the mine and platform and all that remains to be done is the forest which will not be that hard as it seemed once I realized it is smarter to put rocks, plants and undergrowth first and then big trees.

Thanks for the offer Kingfish, hopefuly I will be able to vertex shade it myslef.
I studied surrounding claims and learned that my mistake was that I tried to put shades around each static, even the major rocks, which did not just look right in the end. But if it does not work out, I will surely ask you for help.
THEO
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Submitting finished version for review.
Claim contains ruins of old Velothi settlements of Old Almalexia, which has been ruined by horrible fire and epidemies and then new Almalexia was founded. To the old town belonged ancient Velothi Dome and Burial grounds with dead buried in old Nomadic ways. After the catastrophe creatures and undead started to roam the ruins and bandits settled nearby.
Recently noble family of Thrasyonis of Almalexia discovered the area is rich for Ebony and started to mine there. QUarry, Overseer platform and tunnel from quarry to the west have been built. But during the mining a passage to cellars of the Dome has been uncovered and strange things started to happen. Strange accidents and noises, flames and lights flying during the night. In the end the tunnel caved in and miners have been separated from their homes with only dangerous wilderness around. Just brainstorming...
I am happy to finish this for now I will have finally more time for quests!
THEO
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I'm afraid that they built Mournhold over the old Almalexia, or Old Mournhold. Another Velothi version doesn't make sense. However, it can be something else.
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

moving to "review" for Dex to see it...
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Very nice claim. There are a few minor errors here and there. For example, there is a rock that floats a bit on one corner, and in the burial trees, some of the skeletons are not placed as well as they should be.
However, the rest of this claim is sublime. Instead of sending it back to you to fix, I am going to fix the half-dozen errors myself, and merge it. Great job.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Thank you for your help, Dex. This was my very first exterior claim so I am glad you approve it. I spent quite a lot of time doing it.
Maybe in the future, when I will have not so much work with quests I would like to claim some town.
THEO
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Oh wow, I just found an interesting error. In the mining quarry, it seems that the cliffs have somehow been deleted. Could you do me a favor, take your file, and see what happened? If the cliffs were deleted, could you replace them for me?
Also, I discovered a bunch of floaters, specifically among rocks. If you could just spend twenty minutes and go through the claim, making sure everything is firmly grounded, I would appreciate it a lot.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Sure, I can do that. How about scaled flora and containers? How about use of objects in ruins and names of cells? How about Vertex shading? Do you think they are OK?
THEO
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I guess I know where the problem is. TR_OOT_Main.ESM has WG cliffs both under
TR_WG_Cliff_0x and TR_terr_WG_Cliff_0x I used the first one, which do not exist in new files. It is mistake in OOT.
THEO