4-9-Hla

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Actually, sticking to the outline Sload made, I made the southern horizontal border of my claim end Ashlands and begin Grazelands, so if you made your northern claim boundary Grazelands to the edge, that'd be fine. I also intended to match borders to the existing southern claim, so if you just want to work off that, that's fine, if not, we can come to a compromise.
Nathan Commons
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Ok, GL it is. I did change my northern border but we will match that later on...

Thanks for the quick answer :).
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

MwGek, I don't understand what you're saying. Just tell me yes or no, do you want ashlands?

If you do, add 3-4 cells of them in the upper lefthand corner of your map, touching 4-9. We can match that part of the border during detailing, it doesn't matter what the drawing I made in 2 minutes shows.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Ok sload,

I didn't touch the left uppercorner yet. The corner is currently occupied with BC. But that is easily changed to Ashlands so.. will do!

Never really did an exterior with that style so I like some training at it :).
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Alright, you still haven't answered my question:

Do you want to make it ashlands?

I'm saying that its your choice if that area is Ashlands or not. You decide, not me!
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Whatever the decision, I'd be fine making adjacent cells match, as I haven't even done them yet.
Nathan Commons
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

SOrry for the little delay, been a few days in Berlin but I thought it was pretty clear that I want some of the ashlands in my region. Will make it happen in the upper left corner around 3 cells.
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Updating. Slow progress, but progress none the less. Probably have put a total of four hours into it. Will continue working when I can.
Nathan Commons
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Progressing... Slowly... Sick last week, not much done. Total work of five hours.
Nathan Commons
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

I'm surrendering this claim. I have less time than anticipated. Having trouble finding time to relax, let alone work on this. -_-

Sorry for the drop. WIP posted. The next person may use it if they like, or not. Not much has been done.
Nathan Commons
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Revoked by user request
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

This claim has been sitting in unclaimed for a while now, so I might as well chip away at it a bit. (The only other possible claim is the Valley of Death, and I don't feel like finding out how big that is). While this claim is pretty big, some work has already been done on the general shape, and if it becomes too much for me I can always drop it again. :P

I assume that I still have to match up the borders, and then I'll have to finish laying out the ashlands, and then I have to place stuff. I'll keep the restrictions to the town of Ald Erfoud, or however it will end up being called, in mind.

Edit: One think I forgot. What exactly is the due date on this claim? Should I do this is a hurry or do I have plenty of time? (If this claim gets granted).

Another thing, actually: I'm also assuming that Ald Erfoud will have the same position as Riverbridge on the claim map.
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

I as wondering if this place will be ashlands or grazeland/west gash.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Most of it will be ashlands. Here's the map last I heard: [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/stanley/ashlands.jpg]this map[/url]

Everything in red will be ashlands.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yes to all the things you asked about. As far as due dates go, if you don't update for a month(disregarding things such as health and vacation and other RL things), the claim will be revoked, although we do prefer weekly to sub-weekly(even daily if you work on it that often) progress reports, with regular WIP file updating; unlike most interiors, exterior claims will have up to 4 or 5 WIP files before the claim is sent to reviewing, so any time you make substantial progress or changes, please upload a WIP file to save the work in case your computer crashes.

It should most definitely be finished before Map 3 Detailing is finished, but its up to you to determine how much work there is to be done, and how long exactly it will take you.

Granted
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Actually, it looks as though I have even more questions: this claim is the 4th largest claim on Map 4 with 28 cells, by the looks of it. I'm probably supposed to place more than just a mine, a town and ashlands. :P

Is the choice of what to place completely up to me, or should I make sure to use/not to use some specific tileset? As in should I make sure to throw in a one or two ashlander outcasts/a tiny camp, or maybe a Dunmer stronghold or something? Maybe an abandoned and ruined Redoran village half-buried in the ash that may or may not provide shelter for some sort of shady person/a critter?*

Also, if I do add an Ebony mine, would Hlaalu have a deal over it with the Empire, so that they get a share of the proceeds, or would the Empire own it completely? (Edit: I'm thinking of making it a glass mine instead to add variety, or maybe a diamond mine or something, but that doesn't really have much of a bearing on the exterior, so I'll leave others to decide on that).

As for progress, I'm currently playing around a bit with Ald Erfoud, trying to find out the most effective way of making it look like a city without it being one. :wink:

*Actually, now that I have looked at the factions map and have discovered that the thumbnail is outdated while the full picture isn't, I'm not sure how long ago it was since House Redoran owned this spot, if ever, so this idea might not work anyway.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

You can probably add a kwama mine or two, perhaps an ancestral tomb, but no ruined villages or strongholds or anything not marked on the map. Exterior claims are, for the most part, just wilderness.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Ooh... doing a broken rock wasteland with the dusty GL textures and statics up North would make a cool transition I think, if you're in need of ideas. Maybe a semi-permanent camp of some sort tucked in between two massive rocks.

The ruined Redoran village idea is cool, too, if you can get the ruinousness right with the redoran pieces. As long as they occupied it at some point, which I'm almost certain they did, it makes sense that there might be some evidence.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Zalzidrax wrote:Maybe a semi-permanent camp of some sort tucked in between two massive rocks.

The ruined Redoran village idea is cool, too
Except...
Haplo wrote:no ruined villages or strongholds or anything not marked on the map.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Haplo wrote:You can probably add a kwama mine or two, perhaps an ancestral tomb, but no ruined villages or strongholds or anything not marked on the map. Exterior claims are, for the most part, just wilderness.
Ok, thanks.

Edit: Here are some pictures of the town, which, as Ald Erfoud is a temporary name anyways, I'm just calling "Shargon Mar" at the moment. If you don't like it, (the town or the name, or both), I can easily remake it. To tell the truth I'm expecting disagreement.

First up, a list of the buildings and their (suggested) uses:

1 Manor of whoever owns the mine, and probably the town, and perhaps another mine; an Ornada mine or eggmine. (Preferably an Ornada mine)
2 Bottom: I'm not sure yet.
Top: I'm not sure yet.
3 A shop. The shopkeeper and his/her family live here too, but the spouse would be found in 8.
4 A relatively wealthy General Merchant.
5 I'm not sure yet.
6 The Tribunal Temple.
7 A guard tower.
8 Bottom: House of person who owns the building.
Top: Tiny little floral shop. Just a counter and one or two shelves filled with plants. The shopkeeper lives in 3. 1 x 2 would probably already do the trick, unless TR's interior size guidelines don't allow for exceptions. :wink:

Now for a bit of background, as I've implemented a few ideas and want to know if they're ok:

1. The temple. As you can see from the picture, it has a fairly large statue of Vivec in a fairly unusual place. This could just be there for the heck of it, of course, without explanation, but if you think an explanation is necessary I was thinking that this could be a pilgrim destination. Vivec was supposed to have done some good deed here, but it might just be a story to attract traffic to the otherwise isolated town. Again, this is only if you think that there needs to be a reason for the statue to be there.

2. The town. I'm thinking that it is unusually pious, for a Hlaalu town, if only to add some variety, but that doesn't really affect this claim so I don't really care either way. While it is very isolated, it looks as though the road system is bad enough for the town to receive a fair amount of travellers, so I'm thinking that it isn't quite as badly off as it could be. No gilded sidewalks or anything, though. :wink:

3. The manor. Currently the owner is a wealthy Dunmer, and as I said he probably doesn't only co-own (or completely own) the nearby ebony mine, but might also be the owner of the town and an Ornada mine. (If that's fine. Otherwise I'll just have an Eggmine or nothing). He doesn't believe in the Temple but, if we're going with my pious town idea, keeps that to himself. There could be a quest to expose him for the heathen he is once questing comes along.
Attachments
A closeup of the Tribunal Temple.
A closeup of the Tribunal Temple.
An overhead map of the town, with numbered buildings and dots at the door locations.
An overhead map of the town, with numbered buildings and dots at the door locations.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I think it's been long enough to warrant a bump. I'm still looking for approval for my plans in my last post. Be warned: I take silence to mean "what you're doing is fine". :wink:

However, I'm actually wondering something: 1. Should I introduce new plants, namely the Mournhold cacti, to the ashlands, or should I keep to the plants Bethesda used in their ashlands? 2. Would it make any sense for even domesticated cacti (by which I mean grown by a gardener) to thrive with ash as soil?

And while I'm at it, I might as well ask whether the cacti are actually being used anywhere at the moment, but that's not really important to this claim.

Edit: right, no progress since the last post.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Introducing them in the wild is bad. As far as I know they're not native to the ashlands. Now maybe if they're grown in a private garden then that should be fine.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Ok. Really that's all that I was planning to do; I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't supposed to do more. :wink:
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Any news on this one?
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Not much I'm afraid. Actually, I just realized that this cast will probably stop me from touching the CS for at least two weeks, and quite possibly four weeks, so if you think I should drop this claim (at least temporarily) I'll understand. Either way, unless someone else gets it, I'll be working on it again at the end of that time. :)
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Well, it's not a high priority part of TR right now, although we like having progress in every area. If you're able to continue working on it in a months time I'd say just hold on to it.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

It turns out my cast doesn't really matter because my CS is messed up. If anyone knows how I can get the render window to do its job, that would be useful. At the moment there's only a large expanse of monochrome greyness which makes it very hard to mod.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Try reinstalling the Construction Set.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I did. That still doesn't work. If worst comes to worst I could always transfer the file to my brother's computer and work on it there, but I obviously would prefer getting the problem fixed. :wink:
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Not really an update; the CS still isn't working. When I load a cell it gets loaded, and the objects are there, but I can't see them; only grey. I can even drag an invisible box over a large part of the screen, invisibly selecting the invisible objects therein, and press delete, and they would get deleted, but I still don't see a thing.

I actually want to post a question: Kebra's exterior caves are somewhat controversial, if only because it looks bad when weather like rain pierces the solid-looking roof of the cave, and I was thinking that the opposite would be true for the ashlands. They don't have rain, or snow, or lightning, etc., but only clear whether, which would look normal, and sandstorms which move horizontally and would look good if done right. (The cave should probably keep going in the same direction rather than curving back, in which case the sand technically shouldn't be there be visible in certain parts of the cave. I'm also thinking that the entrance would be fairly large and short, with the smaller tunnels branching off, also not very long).

Would it be ok for me to add one? And if so, should it be scenic or should I hide something interesting, like part of a daedric ruin, inside?

Edit: and to clarify, I'm not talking about a big cave. At most it would probably take up a quarter of one cell. (That might still be too big; without the CS I'm not too sure about distances).
Last edited by Gnomey on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I had a similar render window problem. It was related to the view distance being set WAY too low. Try it at max.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

That's a great idea, I don't know why I didn't try that. I'll check that soon. (I'd check it now, but my computer's in need of a reboot at the moment...)
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I suppose I might as well make my weekly update: it turns out that my preferences weren't the problem. Everything looked correct. Which is naturally unfortunate. I might try sending it over to my brother's computer to work on it there soon.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

A little update: I added some detail to the town. I haven't worked much on the countryside yet; I had forgotten to download Mwgek's latest file for border matching.

(By the way, if there's any extremely simple way of doing that, I'd like to hear it. I'm still playing around with it, but so far the easiest method I've found is raising the terrain to approximately the right position and then one-clicking with the flatten vertexes tool to close the seams. But I'm still playing around with it...)

And I managed to fix my problem. It turns out that, for some reason, my desktop's colour quality was at 16 Bit. I just had to change it to 32 Bit and the problem was fixed.

But other than physical progress, I've done a bit more thinking about the town, and here's my updated plan:

1 Manor of whoever owns the mine, and probably the town, and perhaps another mine; an Ornada mine or eggmine. (Preferably an Ornada mine)
2 Bottom: Tavern
Top: Guar Herder's House
3 A clothes shop. The shopkeeper and his/her family live here too, but the spouse would be found in 8.
4 A relatively wealthy General Merchant.
5 Armour shop. Mostly makes Netch leather armour, but has some speciality items/whatever in stock too, depending on how successful the town is supposed to be.
6 The Tribunal Temple.
7 A guard tower.
8 Bottom: House of person who owns the building.
Top: Tiny little floral shop.

Again, this is just my idea; it's not as though I'm setting it in stone. While I am naturally placing the shop signs those can easily be moved around/removed. :wink:

As you might notice, the town now has four sources of income: the glass/ebony/other mineral mine, trade, the Ornada/Kwama egg mine and Guars. (The hide and meat, and perhaps simply selling Guars as pack animals, though I'm not sure if we'd implement that). They're listed from the one that adds the most to the town's wealth to the one that brings the least wealth to the town.

And on a related note, why did I find guar meat in the cooked Ornada? :P
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I almost forgot to update this. This is really just a skeleton. A very basic plan for what I'll do with elevation, and an outline to show about how far the Ashlands will extend. I haven't really polished the file up in any way before the upload, but if you have any big problems ("there's a mountain in the middle of what should be plains" or "the ashlands shouldn't extend this far in this spot") feel free to alert me to it.

What might be more interesting are the town and the exterior cave. (As an early note, I just placed all those banners to see how it would look like. I'm not quite sure whether I like them myself). Other than detailing, which includes the banners, I'm willing to call the town's exterior done, and though it lacks any detailing at all I'll probably keep the layout for the exterior cavern, too.

Speaking of which, I've added another interior. There's a place in the exterior cavern where it switches over to an interior. This might be anything from the house of a loner to the entrance of the giant holy quest-related buried Daedric ruin of Zamboni, for all I care. I'm leaning toward the former, though. (And certainly not the latter, no worries there. :wink:)
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

been a month, got an update for us? (You haven't signed in for a month either, but I am hesitant to revoke this)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Wherever you are, I hope you're okay. But if you don't log on and update this in a week, I'm going to have to revoke it.

Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Sorry about this. I was very busy due to school and forgot to visit. :oops: If there there are any exterior modders looking for work, it might be best if this claim was revoked. If you're not likely to find anyone to work on this anytime soon, however, there will be a short holiday starting on Thursday in which case I could get some work done. Personally, I'm fine either way. Though I'm reluctant to drop this claim, it might be better for me to start with a smaller claim. :wink:

Again, sorry that I forgot to drop by. I'm posting up my most recent file, though I don't quite remember whether there were any significant changes since my last update. (I know there were at least a few changes, so I think it's worthwhile to post it up in case this gets revoked).
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

If you can continue working on this, then there are no problems, glad to see an update.

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Hey Gnomey, have you tried a lay-out for Ald Erfoud where it is raised up on those large velothi blocks? They match Hlaalu and seem to fit it - imagine wandering across the ashlands and coming to this raised village, you enter through a crack in the foundation and then climb the stairs up into the settlement proper. I think it could look really sick, and you should experiment with designs like that.

Also, in addition to the Velothi blocks, there does exist a Hlaalu block mis-identified as a basement. Its currently part of the Narsis meshes, which have to be merged into TR_Data.