4-9-Hla

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

May I ask why the messing around with the borders?
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Because they were wrong. Like Blacklight and Kragenmoor.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

That much is obvious. It is also not really an answer to my question.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Yes it is. The borders were changed because they were wrong.
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

House Redoran was assigned too much territory for a starving house. House Hlaalu took a lot of land from the Redoran becaue they really were succesfull in the last few years. The new Hlaalu-Redoran border lies around Karthor Dale, the Redorans are just grasping on on it.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Thank you for answering my question, Theviking.

So... this would then likely be (relatively) newly acquired territory, then? Hlaalu's ascendancy began with the coming of the empire less than 450 years ago. I doubt that's entirely enough time for them to take control of and entirely wipe out all traces that the territory was once Redoran. Unless they made a concerted effort. Although Hlaalu has deep pockets, I doubt they would do so, especially for the more slum like areas and fortifications. Heck, Spain was captured back from the Muslim empires several hundred years ago, and there are still old alcazars, Umayyad fortresses, like the Alhambra, in many cities. The walls now house apartments, and houses and garden squares in many cases but they are still there.

So that might be interesting.. a Hlaalu town in the gutted walls of an old Redoran stronghold or something. Hmmm...
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

fixed the description since riverbridge is no longer here. (or even called riverbridge for that matter)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Zalzidrax wrote:So that might be interesting.. a Hlaalu town in the gutted walls of an old Redoran stronghold or something. Hmmm...
Only question is if that looks cool or shitty.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It's been over a month since your last progress report. Update, please? You've got a week until I revoke this.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Revoked :-/
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Yeah sorry for not making much progress, I've been tied up with hectic job stuff for the last... oi, I dunno way too long. Still trying to chip away at those interiors when I have the energy.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The settlement here is now to be called Ald Erfoud.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

I claim this. View the images for my plans. I'm open to outright criticism. Also, are we gutting the entire thing? Map 4 currently has cells in most of this claim... I could always keep most of it, considering a lot of it is open plain.

Ald Erfoud is out in the middle of NOWHERE. It gives me the feel of Montana or some other northwestern state. The closest major settlement is Karthor Dale, which... Appears to be separated by mountains. I'm not sure. Either way, that's approximately eleven cells west-southwest. There's also a Dres town eleven cells to the south called Oaksomething (I can't read the map. >_>), and to the north along the main road on the claim map lies the town of Stonefalls (Again, can't read the name very well.).

Other than that, I'm just curious, I know this is a Hlaalu territory, but is this the border? I put the Hlaalu outpost in my plan assuming it was, so that will not be implemented if so. Perhaps someone could draw in paint over a copy of the claim map where the new boundaries are...
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=forum/showmap&map=4

EDIT: Here are said images.
Overview: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/commonsnat/Grid.jpg
Shanty Town: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/commonsnat/Shanty.jpg
Outpost: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/commonsnat/Hlaalu.jpg
Ald Erfoud: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/commonsnat/Al.jpg
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

The border is at Karthor Dale (now Kartúr) and Bodrem, anything south of the latter and west of the former is Hlaalu.

Of the two settlements in your claim (besides riverbridge, which was not discussed in that thread), the original post said this:
Undocumented Settlement #12
Description: Ouada-Gahridur
Cell coordinates: -7, -23 (and others)
Outcome: Postponed for decision by the Special Committee for Finding Concensus on What the Fuck We're Gonna Do About Ouada-Gahridur (SCFFCOWTFWAGTDAOG)

Undocumented Settlement #17
Description: Redoran hut.
Cell coordinates: -4, -23
Outcome: Remove.
The SCFFCOWTFWAGTDAOG ultimately decided to remove Ouada-Gahridur for massive amounts of suckage. Riverbridge as it stands was removed for being out of house territory, the city called Riverbridge (or Almas Thirr) was moved to the actual river, and your claim was left with... nothing.

TF, Haplo, and I agreed to this:

-Not actually plains. Ashlands - something everyone's wanted that this is a perfect place for. [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/stanley/ashlands.jpg]See this image[/url] for the full extent of the "Pryai Ashlands."

-No shantytown, sorry. Doesn't mesh with ashlands, does it? We have another area we expect to be concentrated with them, marshy little shack towns, which will be a thematic thing; that region will have several of them all owned by one or two rich families. This includes part of 6-9 (which is Hlaalu, not Dres) which will be broken up into smaller claims in the future.

-Where do you expect that backroad to go? I guess it'd be cool, backroads are always neat. No buildings except the main garrison prolly, and have the road instead of going north to that shanty town, go to a mine (ebony) somewhere as well.

-As to Ald Erfoud, the name will be changed at some point because even if its "lore" and "in 2920," its named for a town in Morocco. Also, it needs to be much smaller. 11 buildings, max. Its a town for traders headed from Narsis to the north to stop at, and also generates revenue from the ebony that passes from that mine we want you to add in the last bullet point. Make it look like a trading city, only 1 or 2 "houses" with permanent residents. Suran was done with 12 buildings, you should be able to make this in 8 - bigger is not better.

That mesh with you? Feel special, youre making one of the only ashlands on the mainland.
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Sload wrote:-Not actually plains. Ashlands - something everyone's wanted that this is a perfect place for. [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/stanley/ashlands.jpg]See this image[/url] for the full extent of the "Pryai Ashlands."
Sadface. Ashlands is my least favorite theme. However, that doesn't mean I don't want this done and will have no effect on my decision to claim it. Now it will just be ash plains... Out of curiosity, and not disobedience, why was this change made? Is this supposed to be ash from Red Mountain?
Sload wrote:-No shantytown, sorry. Doesn't mesh with ashlands, does it? We have another area we expect to be concentrated with them, marshy little shack towns, which will be a thematic thing; that region will have several of them all owned by one or two rich families. This includes part of 6-9 (which is Hlaalu, not Dres) which will be broken up into smaller claims in the future.
Aye, the only reason I put that in there was to provide a water transportation hub, though I will do away with it as willed. Will Ald Erfoud have a strider port?
Sload wrote:-Where do you expect that backroad to go? I guess it'd be cool, backroads are always neat. No buildings except the main garrison prolly, and have the road instead of going north to that shanty town, go to a mine (ebony) somewhere as well.
The backroad was just a non-established pathway providing a means of travel from the west side of the small mountain wall without having to go three or four cells around. Morrowind had many random bushwhacked trails in hilly areas like the Ashlands and West Gash that could provide a more direct, albeit sometimes more dangerous, route to one's destination. Also, modeling it after the claim map, I didn't want it to be just an exact north south mountain wall, that would be tacky. The backroad didn't need anything on it, but yes, it could have a mine, and if that's what it wanted, then I will provide. I didn't mention any of the miscellaneous interiors I'd be adding. I suppose an ebony mine would also explain the location of the outpost in proximity to it. I may look for other places to add caves and such to keep it from being repetitious Ashland... How I despise that.
Sload wrote:-As to Ald Erfoud, the name will be changed at some point because even if its "lore" and "in 2920," its named for a town in Morocco.
Interesting. Doesn't bother me.
Sload wrote:Also, it needs to be much smaller. 11 buildings, max. Its a town for traders headed from Narsis to the north to stop at, and also generates revenue from the ebony that passes from that mine we want you to add in the last bullet point. Make it look like a trading city, only 1 or 2 "houses" with permanent residents. Suran was done with 12 buildings, you should be able to make this in 8 - bigger is not better.
Understood. The sketch was tentative. I had planned for the lower, smaller section to be a home for herders, but I suppose no one's going to be herding much off the ash. Now, my knowledge of House and area government is limited, so does the hierarchical setup of the town around the hilltop make sense? I don't know if the size warranted the existence of guild halls, a house hall, or a councilman's quarters here, but from it's distance from any other settlement I inferred that providing a lot of services would be convenient. It's approximately 11 cell distances in any direction to another city according to the claim map, though I am not familiar with how Map 4 differs from that so far. To put it in perspective, that's about the distance from Gnisis to Caldera, though I don't know how familiar you are with these distances anymore (I'm only familiar because I've been playing recently, which is why I decided to return. I joined the Imperial Legion and got familiar with the area around Gnisis doing quests with the Deathshed Legion.).
Sload wrote:That mesh with you? Feel special, youre making one of the only ashlands on the mainland.
It meshes with me just fine. I'm just here to add my artistic interpretation and make the content, however painful an Ashlands claim this large is going to be. I should focus on finishing the Main Quest to familiarize myself with the Ashlands...

And, as simple as this may be, how do I move around in the editor without using the arrow keys? It's been so long since I've played with either of The Elder Scrolls CSs. I'll need to reread the posts about the OoTs and what-not I'm supposed to be using, as it's been a while.

As for the 4-9 cells incorporated into Map 4, can I keep the heightmap as a base to work off?
Nathan Commons
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Ashland is just like a plain except gray, not sure what your objection to it is. You know that any mountainous part of an ashland would be Molag Amur, right? Which includes the western part of your claim.

Mainland Morrowind is 3 times the size of Vvardenfell, using (currently) 2 less regions than Vvardenfell. It is incredibly repetitive. This area makes sense for an ashland because there's nothing there.

As to where the ash comes from.. fuck if I care.

Airfood can have a strider port. If it ends up being excessive we can always remove it.

11 cells is also the distance between Suran and Sadrith Mora, and way less than the distance between Khuul and Vos. This is a very desolate part of Morrowind, with most of the population living along the coast or in the more fertile southern and eastern parts. It was uninhabited until the Hlaalu moved in to tap the ebony in the mountains.

No guilds, no house hall, 1 manor for the entrepreneur who owns that ebony mine. This is the middle of nowhere, its desolate and empty. This is no Balmora, this isn't even a Suran. Its a tiny stop on a long road from Narsis to Andothren (Stonefalls).
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

I just don't like looking at all that gray, it gets boring. I hate being there in-game as well. This is extremely minor though, and won't affect my ability to do this claim. I'll get on it tomorrow then... That is if this is actually granted. It's in Pending right now.

Also, can I use the existing 4-9 terrain as a base to work off or am I starting from nothing?

Also, I discovered that though the claim maps have not been updated to reflect change in ownership, the faction maps have. >_>
Nathan Commons
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

yeah sure have at it
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Ah, I remember now I meant to ask this:

Since it's been decided that this area is now Ashlands, does that mean there will be changes in adjacent claims? I see the claims west of 4-9 are not Ashland themed but are in the area circled on the map. My concern is whether or not I will have to transition into whatever textures are used in adjacent claims or if I can go full blown ash-ground/-rock to the border.
Nathan Commons
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The area inside the red circle in Sload's picture will most likely be redone as Ashlands at some point.

CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Thank you. Work will begin on this tomorrow and I'll post progress every Sunday or so.
Nathan Commons
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

and you can mosdef use the land already there as a base - please do
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Three issues:
1) I still cannot connect to the IRC channel. If anyone knows the source of this problem, I'd like a solution. :(
2) Despite me having inserted the "AlowYesToAll=1" line into my Morrowind.ini, I still have no option to Cancel, so I must hold the Enter key until it passes through all the dialogue, which only takes about thirty seconds. But more importantly...
3) All deleted statics, activators, containers, whatever is in the map 4.esm persist once loaded again. I'll delete them, save, reload the map later, and despite the heightmap remaining as I had left it, all of these objects from before are still there. :l Riverbridge WILL NOT FALL.
Nathan Commons
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

1: What does it say when you try
2: Where did you place it in the .ini
3: .esm? Cut out the cells from the main map 4 and create two files. one consisting of map 4 minus your claim and the other consisting of your claim. As long as you set your claim as the active file then you shouldn't have any problem
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Thanks for the immediate reply.
1) Pidgin: "Couldn't connect to host." MIRC: "Couldn't connect to host."

2) I placed it under general, as instructions I found on the internet instructed me to do so:

Code: Select all

[General]
;Test TES 0=morrowind.esm

;Starting Cell=Pelagiad
;Starting Grid X=0
;Starting Grid Y=0

Show FPS=0
Max FPS=240
AllowYesToAll=1

;-1 Use raw data, 0 Use Newer, 1 use Archive Only
TryArchiveFirst=0
And so on.

3) Ah, I meant the Map 4.esp. I was under the impression that it was a master file. Now excuse my naiveté, I may have known this once, but how exactly should I go about cutting out my claim?
Nathan Commons
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

3: label your cells, then cut out all the ones that don't have that label.
2: I put it here

Code: Select all

Create Maps Enable=0
Screen Shot Enable=0
Screen Shot Base Name=ScreenShot
Screen Shot Index=0
Beta Comment File=
allowyestoall=1 
Interior Cell Buffer=10
Exterior Cell Buffer=32
1: ok, what do you enter? Have you considered using a different client like X-Chat2 or the java client? you are trying chatspike.net right?
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

1) Downloaded X-Chat2, same response. I tried logging onto other servers, and it encounters similar problems. My school must block the IRC protocol, because I can log on using the same information when I go home.
2) Still not working.
3) Silly me, it works. I'm just used to building from the ground up.
Nathan Commons
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

1: not even the java client works? that sucks.
2: Then I have no idea, you are setting the value to 1 right, and this is the only instance in the .ini?
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

1) Yeah.
2) Mine now looks exactly as yours. There is one existing instance of it... Dunno.
Nathan Commons
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

2: I checked on my Morrowind.ini and I have it like you had it originally, CommonsNat. *shrugs* Is the ini file in the right directory?
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

2) It's in my Bethesda/Morrowind folder like the rest of everything. I dunno.

Posting on weekly progress.
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/commonsnat/4-9SS1.jpg[/img]
The basin that's part textured part wrong-textured is going to be the site of the ebony mine. There is more land done elsewhere, and non-textured/wrong-textured cells haven't been fine tuned. This is probably about the 2.5 hour mark, so I'll work on it more this week when I get time. If anyone sees any problems, "hollah".
Nathan Commons
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Rargh. Something happened. My "Saves" folder in the Morrowind folder is missing, and so is my claim .esp. I don't know why this is, and I'll have to restart the claim if it's gone for good. I have a sneaking suspicion that Vista is the culprit here... On the positive side, the "Yes to all" feature is working now in the CS. : /
Nathan Commons
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Does these ashlands change my claim(4-24)on the south side of this claim? Because my claim is GL themed and the south side of (4-9) was GL themed too in the map4 file. If so I can make Ashland "mountains" in the north to smoothen the change.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

If you think this is Vista's doing, then not all is lost. You (foolishly) installed Morrowind in C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind, didn't you? That's the default path.

Well, Vista "virtualizes" folders that are within Program Files if they're affected by applications that do not have admin rights. It means it'll be put in a copy of Program Files\Blah-blah-blah that is in the virtual store for your user.

tl;dr version: look inside C:\Users\<insert your Windows user name here>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind.
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Thanks Gez. Would running the CS and Morrowind "as Administrator" prevent this from happening again? Or perhaps there is a way to give these programs administrator privileges so I don't have to do that every time.
Nathan Commons
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Probably. I've also heard that disabling UAC worked, but I wouldn't bet on that.
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

This change actually occurred after I turned off UAC. I have it off now, hopefully it won't happen again.
Nathan Commons
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

No progress made this week. Very busy. Will try to do more this week.
Nathan Commons
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Mwgek wrote:Does these ashlands change my claim(4-24)on the south side of this claim? Because my claim is GL themed and the south side of (4-9) was GL themed too in the map4 file. If so I can make Ashland "mountains" in the north to smoothen the change.
Do you want them to?
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Well actually if so I get a very small region of GL. Then this region is better with getting another theme. Only about 4/5 cells pure GL is not much and looks rubbish. So... tell me ;). Dont know what the connected theme of map 3 is since I haven't installed the thing atm.