4-23-Red

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Ah, thanks for the clarification :-)
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Okay, this is Redoran. Should it be changed to Hlaalu? The claim itself is good, a nice WG with some cheeky addition of GL, it only requires a tiny transiton into the south neighbours of 4-29 (but that would have to wait until Kiteflyer61 is finished) and slightly to 4-9.

I suggest keeping this on hold, no need to revoke in my opinion, unless some of you have greater plans for altering this claim...?
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I agree, keep it on hold. Kiteflyer has matched his claim's northern border to this one already.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Can somebody give me some details on what needs to be done in this claim? The road at least needs to be fixed to match my claim to the east. I'll take care of whatever changes then.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Hey there. :)

Above the line will become Roth Roryn, and the below the line Armun Ashlands Region.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ThrignarFraxix/4-23Lined.jpg

Basically all the WG rocks have to go as Roth Roryn is GL rocks ONLY. The AI region to the left side of this claim also needs to go and be replaced with whatever region is above and below the line,

Also the artifical lake at -8, -22 should go as well.

Every cell will pretty much need its regional textures and statics changing to whatever is the correct region.

Tyrion,
I have uploaded this new .esp for you or anyone else as the old one is dependent on OoT & EoT. Nothing else has been changed besides the file dependencies.

Cheers :]
Attachments
TR_4-23-Red_Nomadic1_1.esp
(299.67 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

More importantly, make sure you check Nemon's 4-46 and 4-24 claims to see how the borders of the Armun should be dealt with. No boring flat 'transition', but instead a defined border of mountainous 'ashland' (more Molag Amur) terrain, which then descends via winding paths into the central dustbowl, and which you can only penetrate via these narrow mountain path choke-points. The Roth Roryn should be able to complement the Ashlands a great deal in this way.

This aside, there needs to be some clarification as to what's happening with the claims below this one, some of which have Grazelands type borders which should probably go, in order to decide precisely where the border needs to lie in this claim.

Ashlands claim 4-9 has no northern borders, so they'll need to be in 4-21 and 4-49.

4-29 will need to have its Grazelands elements removed, and the AccMap at present is showing it to be quite sub-par for the Armun anyway. 4-45 will have to be changed for that. 4-7 and 4-44 also have no northern border, so 4-45 will have to become substantially Ashlandy, which in turn could mean removing the Grazelands from 4-7 and 4-28.

There is then the question of how far we want the northernmost border of the Ashlands to be in 4-6, possibly with the actual border in 4-47.

Here is a map to illustrate. Dots are more hypothetical, yellow bits are places where the borders could be pulled out/in to taste.
Attachments
AABord.jpg
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

oh hell, I forgot those little bits of RR in 4-7 and 4-28.

Also, this claim has no roads, so I don't know what you are talking about if you think it does. (the only road that was traveling in this direction was supposed to stop at a mine. the other one close by it was supposed to go north to border with 4-48 )
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Here's what I got looking at the map for this area then: 4-45 is ash, 4-29 is ash, bits of 4-7 and 4-28 are ash, and the southern border of this is ash.

Then I'm making the southern border ash and changing this from WG to GL. Also, Thrig, the road was shown in your little map to go to the claim to the west of 4-49. Unless I'm mistaken somehow. In any case, can I run it up the eastern border of this to 4-48 then?

Also, should the mountains in 4-49 go to be replaced with GL as well since they, and much else of 4-20 was done in WG? I think its interspersed enough as it is amongst the GL to look natural, and it does contain the iron mine if I can use that as some sort of geological rationalization for why there's a WG outcropping there.

Oh, and does the fort stay or go? Because it will probably need an access road.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Did someone move the border? In that pic it shows 4-29 as being all ash. If this is the case I need to know so that I won't have to make the transition. Let me know. I can do either. :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!
"Tis easy enough to be pleasant,
when life flows along like a song;
but the person worth while
is the one who will smile
when everything goes dead wrong."
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

The fort, as explained in the first post, needs to go.

As my map indicated, for this claim it is not quite as simple as 'making the souther border ash'. First we need to decide where the ash borders lie - in one of the scenarios I provided (the one that is at present the state of play), several cells on the western side of this claim's border will not be Armun.

It's also worth noting, as I said in the first bit of my post, that the Ashlands borders would be good if they were done like Nemon's, so with a high mountainous border descending into a dustbowl. It's not decided how far the ash will extend into your claim, so it might be that the main part of the border is really done in 4-29, with yours just being a continuation of the mountains we're expecting here, but getting progressively RMer.

Perhaps it might be more efficient to have all of the undefined northern border of the Armun reconstituted into one claim (along pictured lines). At present it's all mixed over so many claims that it will be virtually impossible to coordinate its creation and get a sensible result.

On 4-49, as you can see much of that claim will now be being Armun, and that which isn't will indeed need to be Grazelanded because it's Roth Roryn.

EDIT: And yeah, Kiteflyer, 4-29 will become all ash, probably transitioning to a higher (but still Molag Amur/RM, not Grazeland yet) mountain range at its north side. I would advocate getting that part split off though, but obviously that's not an official line. Nemon or someone would have to make that call. In any case, I hope you've also noticed that the river segment needs to go.
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I know, it is rather chaotic. I would like to see the border pushed north in the west as per your dotted line. The mountainous border can be done in my claim, leveling out towards Kiteflyer's claim. That way we don't have to drastically alter either's landscape, since 4-23 already contains the hills and Kiteflyer's is already primarily flat. It's not so difficult that it needs a separate claim I think.
We just need a definite border that we've all agreed to, and then we have to stick to it. Since right now we're just operating in the sense that the ashlands are "somewhere over here" in relation to this region over here.
Last edited by Tyrion on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

You can keep the white border and still keep a straight border with Kiteflyer's claim, so that'd be alright without needing to expand the Ashlands. 4-45 would just have to remember to border-check with you and 4-28 to get the moutains lined up, but that's simple enough too, and they'd be doing that with 4-28 anyway.

Nevertheless, there remains the question of coordinating the mountain border between 4-21, 4-49 and 4-25 and potentially 4-20. Where there's a lot of close-proximity crossover limiting the room for manoeuvre of exteriorers.
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I've already lined up 4-21 and 4-49. 4-20 is outside the ashlands almost entirely. I think Theo's claim has the border on the north edge.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Sweet. I forget that although this AccMap is very fresh, a lot can happen in a few days! :)

Tyrion, regarding that road that heads from 4-49 into here at present, although not marked on the map, perhaps it would be alright if you just added some outcroppy 'viewpoint' it heads to very near the border of the claims, overlooking the Armun, because it's a very nice road (in 49) that doesn't need to be deleted without reason.

The mountain range that it is on in 4-49, though, needs to become either RM/MA or Grazelands, to fit with whatever the border mountains in this claim become (preferably the former). Though the circle with the iron mine in I would keep as WG.
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

That works fine with me. I can make the changes to that quickly since it hasn't been reviewed yet. I'll also change the southern ridge line there to RM to match.

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

The pic above shows 4-29 from before Nemon asked for changes to it. The ashlands part was pushed a lot farther north as per his request. I'll UL a pic of the current WIP in a few minutes (gotta go make one) to show where it's at at the moment. If it needs to be changed I can move the mountainous part farther to the north so that they butt up against the claim and whoever does the claim to the north can run right up to the edge for the transition.

Edit: WIP pic [img]http://www.invision.tesalliance.org/forums/uploads/1267407299/gallery_514_76_73224.jpg[/img]
I had to revert to an older file because of a CS glitch during save. This is the newest file that didn't get nerfed.
Last edited by Kiteflyer61 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I'm being silly. This is Nomadic's claim so I should be asking for his permission first before I talk about changing it.

@Kiteflyer, I think if anything push the hills up to the very northern edge of your claim because they'll be partially included in this as well. That way they also match 4-49 whose border is entirely contained within itself. Try looking at the last 4-49 I posted, along with 4-23 and yours loaded to get an idea where the border will be.

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

I'll wait for official word from Nemon, but it sounds like that is the best way. :) If approved I'll match both ends of the mountains to the claims on either side. Then whoever does the claim to the north won't have as much trouble matching this.

Edit: I second the vote that the AA border should be cut out into it's own claim. It would make the edges of the AA region more continuous looking, rather than having to match different claims. After looking at Nemon's work next to mine, there is a definite difference in style that is very noticeable. I'm not sure I have the skill to match Nemon's work closely enough to make it unnoticeable.
Last edited by Kiteflyer61 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Basically, Kiteflyer, your claim's northern border should look identical to that of 4-9 next to it, because all the border of the region north of your claim is in 4-23. If you want to include some free standing mountainous aspects, go for it, but they shouldn't be the borders of the Ashlands. You can co-ordinate with whoever has 23 as to whether you want to include some border mountains in the north-west corner, or an increasing height-gradient, but for the most part: no border.

Also, on a stylistic note, I'm not sure if that 'speckled' vertex shading you're using will fit in with the rest of the Ashlands, which seems to use more kind of 'gradient lines', judging by my observation. Again, basically copy 4-9's style.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

LOL,

You type faster than I do. :) The speckling was removed in the file that got nerfed. this file is the one I had to revert to. I wouldn't leave it like it is. It looks like crap! :)
Also, check my last post if you haven't already (ninja edit).
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Best way to copy my style is simply to load both mine and your own claim and Ctrl-D to duplicate stuff and setups from my claim to use in your own. The dustbowl concept mentioned earlier here makes sense...
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Makes sense to me. I like the dust bowl idea too. I'll make a brand new file, match yours as closely as I can, and "borrow" from your claims. :) The only 2 questions left are 1: Can I still have my little mountain? and 2: Do you want me to leave the northern border sort of flat like it is now, or should I start a gradual rise to match the mountain border in the north? Tell me what you want and I'll do it. :) I'll start this tonight and should have a file up in the next couple of days.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

As long as the mountain isn't ridiculously high you can keep it, and you may also have a slight elevation to the north...
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Just so whoever claims this knows: cells -9 and -10 on the -23 Row are going to be largely not Ashlands. Rather, they will be Roth Roryn region. Just so you know. My upcoming WIP should at least show areas for each texture, I hope, if not the final texture choices.

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Claiming

Most of whats going on has been sorted out. To summarize. RR in the north with RM and AL transition in the south.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Granting. Hold off on the edges that border my claim until I can update it to match Kiteflyer's, ok?
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I'm starting from the east and working my way west down the ridge, I shouldn't run into your claim for a while yet.

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

WIP posted.

The two cells bordering Kiteflyer's claim are complete/at a state of near completion. Kiteflyer should use this to make sure his claim matches up.

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

NINJHAS!1
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

This edits the ridgeline, it now runs into 4-6 instead of ending abruptly at the border where the former river used to be. I'm making progress through the last 4 cells as well.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Make sure you match your southern border to 4-45 and 4-29

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

This is finished.

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Then off to review!!
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

A couple things I wanted to add before this gets a review.

1. Added a few details here and there, especially along the southern edge.

2. Added three interiors, originally I had none. They are: cave in -9,-22, cave in -7,-22, and a velothi tomb in -8,-21.
Attachments
TR_4-23-Red_Tyrion.esp
(333.51 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Nice work Tyrion. Approved.