4-29-Hla

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

4-29-Hla

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_4-29-Hla (#166)
Faction: Hlaalu
Claimed by: Kiteflyer61
Files: TR_4-29-Hla_Haplo_1.esp

---

Four cells, Armun Ashlands (AL).
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Unlocking, should be an easy claim.
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

My first ext claim. shouldn't be too hard. Is this part of the area that was supposed to be changed to ashlands?
If so could you point me to the map of said change? If not I'll make it standard WG stuff. Also, any caves, houses, bandit lairs, etc. ? I know it's a small area but maybe a cave or something?

Edit: disregard the point request, found the map in question.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Granting. Yes, add a bandit cave, probably would be better as an abandoned mine shaft, though.
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Okey Dokey, abandoned mine shaft it is. Should I make the int too? Also, is this claim partially ashlands or was that idea scrapped?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!
"Tis easy enough to be pleasant,
when life flows along like a song;
but the person worth while
is the one who will smile
when everything goes dead wrong."
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

do not make the int.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Kiteflyer61 wrote:Okey Dokey, abandoned mine shaft it is. Should I make the int too? Also, is this claim partially ashlands or was that idea scrapped?
Interiors that you make a shell for or entrance to in your exterior claim will have claims made for them by the core, which can then be claimed by our interior modders. And no, the ashlands thing was not scrapped.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Hey guys,

I'd like to have a veteran ext modder look at this please. It's a very early WIP but I want to get some input as this is my first ext. I've tried to match the claim to the north but the rest of the surrounding claims are either still in unclaimed or have to be redone because of the switch to ashlands in this area. I'd also like to know how closely we are expected to match the claim map as far as topography. I had to use map 4 ( v.58 ) to match with as nomadic1's claim to the north ( 4-23-red ) was done years ago and is dependent on old files I don't have. As far as I can tell, 4-23-red was already merged into map 4. I'd also like to know if there are any tricks for matching borders for other claims.

Thanks in advance for putting up with my noob-ness. :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

I try to use the flatten vertices function sometimes at the borders of the other claim. However, this will result into a dirty file.
Maybe soften could help, but I wouldn't count on that. I think it will be normal that some borders won't match perfectly.
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

New WIP posted. Got the terrain in place. Working on the statics. New post should be up next week. :)
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Any progress here? It's been one month and no new post.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Sorry for the delay. RL issues with the holidays and such. Not much progress but new wip file up. If anyone has a few minutes to take a quick look and let me know what you think, it would be appreciated. :)
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Didn't we scrap the river in the Armun Ashlands? I thought that was partly the reason Riverbridge got kicked since there are no rivers in this area. I know it's still a river on the claim map but isn't that obsolete? And shouldn't it be in the claim description as well?

Does this still apply? (apprently the armun ashlands) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/stanley/ashlands.jpg
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Yes, the river should be gone.

The river with the bottom of its V-shape in 4-6-Red is the only one that stays in that map you uploaded.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Okay, Kiteflyer61, a little update.
Remove the river altogether, this claim is part of the Armun Ashlands and the core descision is to have this river removed. It's only a matter of raising the area a couple of meters anyway...
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Will do. Got some time on my hands the next couple of weeks. Should be able to make good progress.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Kiteflyer61 wrote:Will do. Got some time on my hands the next couple of weeks. Should be able to make good progress.
Great, and another thing: Don't be afraid of the "Ctrl-D" command. Cluttering the ashlands means a lot of similar items, flora, container-flora (you know, stuff with stuff in it), rocks and whatnot.

Whenever you create a patch of stuff that looks good, don't hesitate to duplicate the setup, move it to another location and drop it, and simply rearrange stuff, delete, add, scale (easy size scaling just hold "s"), rotate stuff differently and make it quick and effective into another unique and quite different setup.

I just did 4-30 in two days using this method, and claiming 4-9 I simply duplicated massive amounts of stuff from the former, rotated it 180 degrees and moved it into the 4-9 and dropped it (keep in mind large amounts of selected items hogs your memory, CS might crash if too many). Then you have a large collection of suitable items for the selected region, and quick moving, rotating and scaling makes it awesome and unique. The last thing is to add special items if you want to make something truly unique for your claim. It's that easy...
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

And don't forget to clean your plug-in of dirty cells using TESAME ;-) That micromanaged dark rock wall in the middle of your claim looks interesting.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Thanks Haplo,

The rock wall is all that's holding up the road to the abandoned mine just above it. It's probably going to be the only truly unique part of this claim. :) I should have this mostly done in the next few days (thanks to a few tips from Nemon).
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Interesting, using landscaping to hold up/support landscaping...

blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

I'm sorry to say this Kiteflyer, but the claim discription isn't up to date anymore. This whole claim should be ashlands according the map which nemon has uploaded. http://img696.imageshack.us/i/armun.jpg/
Only the northern borders could be the roth roryn region, but a discusssion about this phrase could arise.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I'm not entirely clear on the status of this claim. The original description says Roth Roryn, but several posts refer to the fact that it is Ashlands. How much of the claim is Ashland and how much isn't?

This is the sort of border area where accommodation can be made, also.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Sorry, have forgotten to change description. It's ashlands.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Most of the claim already IS Ashlands. The only part that isn't is a bit of the northern border, to match the claim to the north.

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

OK, I'm stumped.

Any idea what is causing this?

My file (4-29-red) loaded:
[url=http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kbshot1.jpg][img]http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3909/kbshot1.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Same file (4-29-red) and Nemon's (4-30-red) loaded at the same time:

[url=http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kbshot2.jpg][img]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5514/kbshot2.th.jpg[/img][/url]

I'm trying to match the two claims as closely as possible but I can't get them both to load at the same time.

The shots above are after trying to fix this for more than two hours. :) There was also a glitch that caused a portion of one of my cells to jump up about 128 units which caused me to lose an hours work in about half a second. I figured that one out (dirty land refs in 4-30) and fixed it, but then this happened!

Any help would be great. Thanks.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Clean out dirty cells using TESAME. Your file should only modify your 4 cells. Likewise, Nemon's file should only modify the cells within his claim.

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Also, DON'T sort entries under "Type" in TESAME either, every entry named "Landscape" directly under the four cell names your claim includes is the ones you should keep. Every other "Landscape" and "Cell" should be deleted. Remember to backup a file before cleaning. I've matched your claim with mine twice recently, no problem.
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Both files are perfectly clean. They each load by themselves individually, but loading both together gives the result shown above. Is it possible I don't have enough ram? I've got 1Gb so it should be enough. That's why I said I was stumped. I've never run into this particular problem. I did more exterior work for my showcase than Ive done in my six years of modding. :) I just DLed the other border files to try and match so we'll see what happens.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Please upload latest WIP, and I'll try...

Edit: I'm afraid this one is quite dirty, yes.

[url=http://img15.imageshack.us/i/dirtybv.jpg/][img]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2713/dirtybv.th.jpg[/img][/url]

You see the

Cell
Landscape
Cell
Landscape etc?

They should only occur four times each. I'll upload a clean one right away...

Last edited by Nemon on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Latest file up. Am I crazy or did someone change the claim ID?
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Cleaned with Tesame, what do you mean "Claim ID"? Claim description?
Attachments
Clean TR_4-29-Hla_Kiteflyer61_1.esp
Clean.
(92.07 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

No, I mean I've been working on 4-29-red and now it says 4-29-hla. :)
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Kiteflyer61 wrote:No, I mean I've been working on 4-29-red and now it says 4-29-hla. :)
Yes, that is true. I think I changed that, btw. No worries, since the claim doesn't include any houses/settlements, and you're not going crazy :) .

Btw, did you understand what I meant with the tesame? It loads every single edit you've done to a claim or data. The statics you've used doesn't show up but any item you've created or edited will show up. The important things to clean during this stage (exterior work) is which cells you leave edited and which cells you delete from the .esp .

The picture I linked shows this pretty good. The cell, landscape, cell, landscape every other turn is the key. Keep any landscape directly under a cell you wish to keep. The other entries should be deleted. Mark them with SPACE and delete with DEL.
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

I use the CS to clean files. I checked my file after I ULed it and it was indeed dirty. Not sure how that happened but I'll have to triple check from now on. Were you able to load both files after cleaning? Just curious. :)
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Kiteflyer61 wrote:Were you able to load both files after cleaning? Just curious. :)
Yes, no problem.
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

New WIP up. See if this is to your liking. :)

Will work on it more tomorrow. Edges are matched pretty closely now. Landscaping pretty much done. Got to scatter more rocks, then on to flora, then shading.

Is there anyone who still has the old data files so that the claim to the north (4-23-red) can be converted to the new data files so that I can match it as well? The only way I have to look at that claim is the map 4 (v.56) file and I can't load the other surounding claims along with map 4.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

for future reference you should use TESAME to clean your files, not the CS.

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

New WIP up for safekeeping. If you're bored, have a look and let me know what you think. :)
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Hm, I honestly don't think the cluttered ashland rocks look good supporting that road. It's on solid rock anyway, and I'd suggest you use RM-rocks instead for those kind of ideas. Also, make sure the path up to that mine is walkable, as of now it looks difficult to walk since the left to right height difference (when walking up) is too much. Although you'll get strecthed textures use statics to cover those and detail areas of interest.

Other than that it looks good. Remember vertex shading.
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Nearly finished. Reworked the mine entrance. Only have flora and final shading left. Take a look if you'd like. :) Comments always welcome.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox