4-29-Hla

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

How's this one going? You're starting to come up on the one-week warning
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

New WIP up but I've had a small problem. Any idea what caused this? I lost 2 days work because of whatever caused this. http://www.invision.tesalliance.org/forums/uploads/1266353458/gallery_514_76_86355.jpg is a shot from the CS. the only files loaded are my claim file and v.61 of map 4. I'd really like to know what caused this before I spend another two days fixing it, only to have it happen again. :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!
"Tis easy enough to be pleasant,
when life flows along like a song;
but the person worth while
is the one who will smile
when everything goes dead wrong."
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

It's a really annoying bug in the CS. I haven't been able to work out what causes it. Would you believe me if I told you that happened to my claim 3 times in the past week or so?

All you can do is re-landscape it, or merge in that cell from an earlier backup file.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I hate when this happens! My advice - backup often. Even if you did backup long ago, you still can merge the landscape from the old file, as it is usually something that you do first and do not change much in later versions.
THEO
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It looks like a dirty save was mixed in somewhere...

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

New WIP up. If you're going to look make sure you get the #6 file. Changed claim to match new AA borders (all ashlands). Only land height (and a few statics) so far, texturing and shading to come soon.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I deleted some older files for you to save space and cut down on the chances of someone grabbing the wrong file, so don't be alarmed when your next uploaded file is labeled #1.

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

The one labeled #6 is the only one worth keeping. The rest are dead anyway. :)
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Hey Kiteflyer, the mountains will be entirely in my claim to the north as an extension of the range in 4-49 to the west. Your claim can be AL without any large elevation change right up to the northern border. I'll have a file up soon (hopefully tomorrow) with the two cells bordering yours largely finished as far as terrain goes so you can see exactly whats going on. So essentially the ashlands will be like a bowl, with the southern cells of my claim forming the rim.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Thanks Tyrion,

There's a new WIP up for this claim if you want to see it. I really didn't raise the northern border much (maybe 15-20 units) so it won't be an issue. :) I assume you'll be continuing the cliffs from 4-49 through north of my claim. They look totally AWESOME dude! :) Great job.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I would smooth out the northern three hills you have, and don't use the over-sized ashlands rocks. As they are they're a bit too tall compared to their contemporaries in the area, and they will abruptly run into the mountains to the north. They should be low, rolling, ash hillocks around clusters of volcanic rock. Sorry about having to redo this so many times though, You've probably already completed 8 cells worth of work it must feel like :)
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

This is still a very early WIP. most of the statics in place now were grabbed from Nemon's claims for matching purposes and are nowhere near where they'll be in the finished file. :) I'll lower the hills you mentioned and taper the rocks to almost disappear at the northern edge.

When I started this none of the cells around it were done at all so I was trying to do it the vanilla way. After Nemon did all the cells around this claim, I had to redo it to try to match. Then a CS bug jumped up and bit me, another redo. Then the border was changed, another redo. By my count I'm up to 16 cells for a 4 cell claim. Oh well. :) Good thing I'm persistent. LOL

Edit: Tyrion's WIP snagged. I'll match as closely as I can.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Sorry for the changing directions :oops: !!
But regarding the CS bug, I also had that one but I only deleted the Landscape tag directly under the cell name to sort it. All the statics in the screwed cell remained in place and I just raised the land and textured it again.

Edit: Had a look, looking good. Remember to clutter a bit around large statics, as if bits and pieces broke loose from time to time. And also raise or delete sunk statics as well.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Nemon wrote:Sorry for the changing directions :oops: !!
But regarding the CS bug, I also had that one but I only deleted the Landscape tag directly under the cell name to sort it. All the statics in the screwed cell remained in place and I just raised the land and textured it again.
No need to be sorry. :) TR has to maintain it's awesomeness so whatever has to be done has to be done. Projects this size are going to run into snags and revisions all over the place. I guarantee I'll get this claim right, I just don't know how long it will take. :) Once you all get to know me better, you'll find that I NEVER give up.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Coming along nicely?
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Nicely but slowly. :) I'll have a new file up in a day or two.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

OK, this has become very frustrating! The CS bug that deforms the landscaping has reared it's ugly head 6 times in a row! I'm going to hold off on working on this until I get home to my new PC to see if it makes a difference. Any thoughts or ideas on how to make the random tears stop? The laptop I'm working on this with plays MW+150 mods just fine, but every time I try to edit this simple little claim it goes haywire. I just don't get it. I did both my showcase files (ext) on this machine and never had a problem. It doesn't matter if I have the bordering claims loaded or not. It still goes nuts. I'm out of ideas at this point. Anyway, I'll try on my other machine when I get home (sometime this weekend).
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I'm experiencing the same tearing problem, finding a strip of border land raised about 1000 units. It's incredibly annoying, and returns on every load.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I had this problem with 4-46. Load file in tesame, DO NOT sort entries... Scroll down till you find the "infected" cell. It might be a good idea to name it in the CS before cleaning it with tesame.

Let's say you named it cockballs. Find cockballs listed as a pink entry in the tesame list you get when opening an esp. Go directly below the cell's name to the "Landscape" column. Highlight it, press space, press delete and save plugin. Now load the CLEAN file in the CS and find cockballs completely un-landscaped. All statics are present where you left them, but the ground has disappeared. Recreate the landscape and save.

It worked for me...
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Ok, back to my good computer at home. Managed to resurrect an older file and get the edit to take without tearing. New file up top (#7). If someone could take a look I'd appreciate it. I'm mainly wanting to know if the mountains are ok to stay as they are, or are too much? Opinions please. :) The areas that aren't done yet will be matched to the surrounding claims.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Bumpage. 8)

I'll consider silence to indicate acceptance.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Your mountains look to be absolutely fine, Kiteflyer. Sure you're alright, though? Taken you a while to make 4 cells o.O
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

If I had only done 4 cells, it would have been done a long time ago. :) I'm finally back home now so it shouldn't take much longer. 8)
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Progress please

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Not much progress yet as this is my busy season in RL but I should be able to work on this over the weekend. I'll post a file on Monday. :)
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

New WIP up. Not a lot of progress, but still workin'. :)
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Awesome, I can't wait to approve this claim :-D

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hi, this needs an update by Thursday!

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

This is progressing slowly, but surely. All that's left is the little pita details. New wip up.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I would say your bottom left cell is finished, and your bottom right one is finished too except for that small patch of area in the northeastern corner. Fill that patch and then detail the two northern cells so we can get this sucker finished; it's been in progress for way too long

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

I'm on it Haplo. :)

RL has settled down now and this ext is top priority. I should have it done in a few days.

Sorry it took so long.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

A few days later?

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

This is literally a few hours from finished. I should have the file up late tonight or first thing tomorrow. :)
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

This one is finished! I just hope it's up to par. :)

Sorry it took so long, but in my defense it did get changed a couple of times. :D
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Submitting to review
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Tyrion please please please please please review this

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

TESAME: Clean

Fits exterior: Yes

Northmarker set: Yes
Loading errors: No

Review: wow... just wow

Kiteflyer, you've had this claim for how many months now? You know it was only four cells, and if you couldn't give us something up to TR standards in a reasonable amount of time, you should have dropped it. There's nothing wrong with that. I've dropped things before, its not big deal, you get over it, trust me. Now since you've held this so long, and granted you had to redo it a couple times, but since everything else around it has been finished you've had ample time and I expected something really good. I mean, you've had plenty of time. However, this honestly looks like you threw together in a night and quickly submitted. There is almost a complete lack of the xyz rotation to create natural looking statics. There did not really appear to be any evidence that you took the time to place anything beyond dragging the static into the render window and pressing f over the spot you wanted. There were tons of floaters. Those statics that didn't float were often just touching the ground. You have got to take the time and position things. Your terrain also isn't smooth. The set up is nice. You have a good feel on how to make natural and interesting looking terrain. However, you did not execute this properly. In the time you were given, along with the relatively small size of the claim, I expected a lot more, and I am quite honestly disappointed.

Comments I've said enough already. Sorry, I'm tired and probably grumpy from work. Kiteflyer needs to focus on the execution of his claims. He has the ability and he has the aesthetic sense to put together something nice, but needs to take the time to follow through and put everything together properly. You guys know what TR quality is, so cutting corners in your claim is not going to get by review. Finish it, make it look good, and make me a happy modder.

Rating 6/10

My file below fixes, what I hope, are the majority of the errors. It can be merged if Haplo thinks it's good enough.
Attachments
TR_4-29-Hla_Kiteflyer61_2.esp
(183.25 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Kiteflyer61
Developer

Post by Kiteflyer61 »

Ok, ouch, that stings. :(

Was it really that bad? This is my first TR exterior. Not only that but it's the first time I've worked with the ashlands terrain. When I claimed it there weren't any claims around it so I did this vanilla style. All of a sudden Nemon claimed all the claims surrounding this one and did them in his own style. Not only did the border get changed at least twice, but now it had to be changed to match Nemon's style. To be honest I should have dropped the claim then and let Nemon add it to his run. But instead of doing that, I tried to tuff it out. I know it's not perfect, but I did my best. Had I known this would be high priority all of a sudden I would have let a faster modder finish it.

In the end, if this isn't good enough, I'm going to let someone else finish it. I really do think it looks at least decent, if not good, but it's up to the core in the end.

KF
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

The way you designed the claim is great. I was actually going to say it will blend in well with the bits Cathartis and Nemon made and will make a good addition to Armun. Your problem was there were a lot of errors. Not big ones, those are the design ones. These were small errors, but there were so many. I wouldn't stress it so much. It's not as though it needs to be redone, just finished. Now you know what is expected in review though. It's good experience so don't let it deter you from claiming something else. Learn from your mistakes. Really man, I'm embarrassed of my early stuff, I wouldn't even show it to you :)

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Our dear head of exteriors once submmitted an exterior with a giant Akulakhan standing in the middle of a dres field. Everyone has to start somewhere.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo