5-4-Red

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I always thought that the palace where Dumac lived was the ruin under Mournhold. It's certainly a very important ruin, in the Chronicles of Nchuleft it is mentioned as a sort of meeting place:

"When spring came, the Councils proclaimed, as usual, a Council Meet, in the halls of Bamz-Amschend. The people accordingly assembled, handfasted with ale and song, drinking bravely, and much and many things were talked over at the drink-table, and, among other things, were comparisons between different dwemer, and at last among the Councilors themselves."

It seems that the Dwemer weren't above getting drunk. :wink:

That being said, a Dwemer Fortress would be impressive, with plenty of Walkers outside and a lot of armour, weapons and centurions filling the interior. As long as it isn't too uber, which it could easily become.
Last edited by Gnomey on Fri May 23, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

I think the name 'Dumac' just begs too many questions. I say just use any other name. I'd guess the only reason it was called that in the WIP is likely just a tad of 'arrogance' on the behalf of the former modder, who wanted to make some uber landmark. (Sorry if that former modder is still around :P)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:(Sorry if that former modder is still around :P)
I severely doubt it. But yes, the name must be changed, if that was questioned before. No chance of it staying as Dumac.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Well yeah, even if it was the home of Dumac, why the heck would he name it after himself? I mean King Arthur lived in Camelot, not Arthur.
Hillbilly Man
Developer

Dumac Pictures

Post by Hillbilly Man »

Here is some screenshots of Dumac. Does this look about the right sise or should I add a couple of towers.

Do you think this ruin should have an interior? Right now the door is covered and there is no switch to open it so its impossible to enter. And as for details is there anything you see that I could do to make it look better.
Attachments
Just thought this one looked cool
Just thought this one looked cool
Dumac 3.JPG
Dumac2.JPG
No, I'm not really a hillbilly

"truly special 10's are to be saved for truly special occasions (like the night you try to get in her pants)" - Lady Nerevar
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

As it is the overall design looks like a relatively solid dwemer ruin to me, about the right size. It definitely could stand some more foliage/vegetation on the premises or maybe some smaller details, decorations, and rubble if you're in the mood. I'd say that the doors should certainly get an open lever unless the place is set up to look totally ruined (and from the screenshots, I'd say it isn't) since we may as well have an interior for the place. No sense in having all these neat dwemer ruins if you don't get to poke around in them.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

You could also put in a crank without a script, there is one already floating about among the Activators. The switch might have been damaged by a falling rock or something...
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

There are still several Dwemer sites from lore which haven't been placed in game.

Kherakah - place of learning, from Nchunak's Fire and Faith
Leftunch - tomb of Lord Ihlendam, from Chronicles of Nchuleft (probably in map 3 or 6)
Raled-Makai - from Ruins of Kemel-Ze
Last edited by Hemitheon on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hillbilly Man
Developer

All Right

Post by Hillbilly Man »

The way it is now is more of a Dwemer military power in the Velothi mountain but I can change it to whatever you want. I like the idea of Chimarvamidium. This looks like the perfect place for a smith. He could have built the weapons and armor that were used to hold the fort. Or it doesn't have to be a fort. The only reason it would make a good fort is its high in the mountains and has a good view of the valley below. But that could be anything. So as for now I'm calling it Chimarvamidium but if anyone thinks I should name it something else just say so and I'll change the name in an instant.

"truly special 10's are to be saved for truly special occasions (like the night you try to get in her pants)" - Lady Nerevar
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Re: All Right

Post by Gez »

Hillbilly Man wrote:So as for now I'm calling it Chimarvamidium but if anyone thinks I should name it something else just say so and I'll change the name in an instant.
Do not name it "Chimarvamidium." That's the title of [url=http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/marobar06.shtml]an in-game book[/url] and in that book that's the name of a suit of armor. And it's a name given to it by the Chimer, who thought it was a servant centurion which would obey them so they called it something that meant "Hope of the Chimer" -- and so as you can see there is absolutely no reason for such a name to be given to a Dwemer ruin.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Right, name it Forge of Jnaggo. Chim... is just the name of the book that mentions the Forge of Jnaggo.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Merge Jnaggo's home with Raled-Makai as there are no descriptions of it, or

Code: Select all

"Nchmarthurnidamz." This word occurs several times in plans of Dwemer armor and Animunculi, but it's meaning is not known. It is almost certainly not "Hope of the Chimer," however. 
Perhaps this is the name of the forge, connected with armor and animunculi
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

No.

It isn't known what it means so TR can't give it a meaning. We have lore standards.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Fine. Raled-Makai still sounds better than Forge of Jnaggo, mind you you can call it Jnaggo, in the manner of the ruins of Bthuand, Mzanch, Nchardahrk, etc. (naming the ruin after a person)
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

"Forge of Jnaggo" sounds like a sub-part of a cell. You know, something like "Raled-Makai, Forge of Jnaggo" and there would also be "Raled-Makai, Halls of Inertia" and similar nonsense.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Me like. Just a side note, I think careful attention should be made for those named above. Kherakah can't be just anywhere. It's a place of philosophy and learning so isolated, secluded, mostly destroyed (else we'd have an untouched Dwemer library on our hands). Beyond those I know there are at least 2 more Dwemer sites in lore but I can't find them.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Another thing to consider is: Not every named Dwemer ruin has to be accessible. Only those (such as the one mentioned in 'Kemel-Ze') that are explicitly stated as accessible need to be.

It would be weird if every mysterious lost Dwemer ruin was just out there in the open. Best to leave some mysteries, I think.

On the subject of Jnaggo, I'd also point out that Mr. Sul is notoriously uninformed about the Dwemer. Why do we trust him with that name?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I agree, and it's the same thing with Bthalag-Zturamz. Though they might not have been fully fictional, the stories shouldn't really be taken as a solid source of information about the Dwemer. I suggest that they're just avoided and the other ruins are used, just to be on the safe side. :D
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

The Chimarvamidium is the one story by Marobar Sul that isn't complete bollocks.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

But even there it is stated that "The wording of the story is quite different from older versions in Aldmeris, but the essence is the same." So names may well have changed (indeed, ""Chimarvamidium" may be the Dwemer "Nchmarthurnidamz."").

And again, "In a rare scholarly moment, Marobar Sul leaves a few pieces of the original story intact"

So, yeah, he's not exactly our go-to guy (in any book) for info on Dwemer, names or otherwise.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Fine cut those two. But Bthalag-Zturamz would have been such a nice name for a ruin
Hillbilly Man
Developer

Dumac and Ruin

Post by Hillbilly Man »

Its Raled-Makai then. Inless anybody wants anything different. Sorry about that.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

its been a month, got an update for us?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Hillbilly Man
Developer

Map 5 conflicts with 5-4

Post by Hillbilly Man »

Here is the update. Since the older verson of 5-4 was in map 5 there are some things that aren't there any more. I deleted 5-4 from my map 5 so it works fine for me but with the other it looks like a big mess in some places. Sorry that I couldn't get more done this month. Its just been a crazy and busy month.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Progress?

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Hillbilly hasn't been on since the end of April.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yes, thanks, I can see that. He might have this topic set to notify him of updates, however. If he doesn't respond in a week I'll be forced to revoke it.

Hillbilly Man
Developer

Post by Hillbilly Man »

Sorry about hoe I haven't been on for a while. Lifes been a little crazy ever since the tornados hit and there has been lots of work to be done. My uncle's lot is almost cleaned up now and when it is I'll start modding again. But that may be a week to a couple of weeks.

Thats still not an excuse for not checking in every now and then and I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean for it to look like I dissapeared off the face of the Earth. I'll start checking in more often and when the lot is cleaned up I'll start modding again. I'm sorry about the situation this put you in. That lot is a mess but its getting better.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Natural disasters of course are outside of our control so we won't count that against you. If you need extra time to get settled, please tell us.

Hillbilly Man
Developer

Post by Hillbilly Man »

Thanks Haplo. The lot is almost cleaned up so it shouldn't be to much longer until I'll be back to modding. When a tornado comes through it just rips the trees to pieces. There also was an old barn that it hit. It was a mess but its all almost over now. It could be a month until the claims done. I've not had much progress this last month but in about a week I'll be doing absoltely nothing at all.
Then its back to modding. Sorry about that.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hey if this is done by the end of June that's great for a Map 5 claim.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It's the end of June, progress?

Hillbilly Man
Developer

Post by Hillbilly Man »

Hey, sorry, I feel like I've let the whole TR team down here, I've not had much progress really. I've been working on mods with a couple of friends I've made in the modding community and I apologise for what a nuisence I've been for the team. I hope I can get to work on the mod again sometime soon. And btw I'm goin on vacation to Orlando tommorow and I'll be back in a week and a half so I can't really respond for a while, once again I'm sorry and I'll be back in a week and a half.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

If you feel like you don't have enough time to complete the claim, don't worry about letting it go. You can always claim it later(or another one, if this one has been claimed) once you have more time.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It's been a week and a half; I'd like to know any plans you have for this claim as soon as possible.

Hillbilly Man
Developer

Post by Hillbilly Man »

You can revoke it if you want to, its your choice, right now all my modding time is going to a seperate project that I'm working on, but when things settle down some I'll find time to work on the claim, but that could be a while, depends on how things go, whatever you think. Your the admin, I will be able to get back to it eventually, but its not my number one priority at the time. So whatever you think I understand.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Revoked, and Locked until Map 4 exteriors are done.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Contains a dwemer ruin, and town of Hla Ruhn. Also contains the southern half of the barrier island, Ladrys Island, use WG for that one.

Please download map 5 height map here and work from that:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19347
Note that cleaning irrelevant cells may create land tears, so backup your work regularly and often.

See this picture for regional borders, roads and rivers.

[url=http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2835/mwmap5.jpg][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2835/mwmap5.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by Nemon on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Unlocked for claiming.
SamirA
Developer Emeritus

Post by SamirA »

I thought the dwemer ruin was being re-named? It says so in the above convo at least. Just something I noticed is all.

Nemon: Fixed!! :)
And that's how you get to Llama School.
Lady_N: mountain dew tastes like yellow and pwning at d&d