5-10-Red

You can claim exteriors in this forum.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Revoked by request of Theo. He's working on Map 1 atm.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

See this picture for regional borders, roads and rivers. Some roads are a little "off" in the Uld Vraech part, but the merged map file has the layout we're aiming for.

[url=http://i.imgur.com/4bpa4.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/4bpa4s.jpg[/img][/url]
Clicky me...

Strond/tba , the largest nord settlement. Placed at the tall cliffs of [insert name], this town is not easily spotted, and weary travellers looking for good ale and a place to stop by might find it hard to fit in. It's mostly reached by naval travel, but rumors has it there's a hidden underground path going west somewhere (part of the questline). Main trade: Fishing. NPCs: Mostly nords, some imperial traders have also set up camp here, although no one likes them much. Architecture: Skyrim-set + unscripted colony-set.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Claiming. I'd like to make Strond slightly more compact and more cliffy so that the town would be less obvious and very though to attack from land or sea. Also more information as to where the hidden underground path should lead (if it leads in the same claim) would be great.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Sorry this shouldn't have gone up yet, we have still undecided stuff to discuss regarding this city - also you have an unfinished claim I'd prefer you wrap up first. I'll keep it here for now, DON'T claim this one.

Also, we're not changing the Strond layout.
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

Since I've finished 5-18 and had some experience with building Nord villages in the past (when I was making a new version of my - now scrapped - Hagge Island mod, I've made about ~10 different versions of the main city on the island ;p), I would like to claim this.

Of course, it is obvious that building a city (or detailing it, as the overall layout is, as I can see, complete) is very different than just doing wilderness, so I would like to know as much as it's possible about Strond (why it's there, does it have a ruler, and so on, and so on) to make it feel believable. I promise not to fuck this up :P

By the way, I read somewhere that Uld Vraech is supposed to have unique flora, but as it's not yet completed, should I wait for that, or it'll be added at a later stage in certain locations?
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Granted.

I've edited the main post to fix coordinates. The map is sorta off, if in doubt just see what I've put in the map 5 file (which is new as of today).

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=226981#226981 (ATTACHMENT Feb 24th 2013)

A few instructions here: http://i.imgur.com/0kHMIOi.jpg

Strond is not final in the newest file, and as I've noted in the pic above, it needs a little roughening around the edges. For starters, within its walls it's a little flat and bland. If you have Skyrim, take some inspiration from Windhelm and Whiterun to see what we're aiming for. If you don't have Skyrim, just image google those towns and you get my point :) .

The shore line needs to be dangerous, with hidden spiky rocks just below the surface (and some above, naturally) to wreck ships and stuff. Strond (name to be changed) is isolated, save for sea travelers capable of navigating those waters.

Regarding rule, it's a Nord settlement, pretty much out of the reach of the Dunmeri/Imperial domain due to the geographical features of this land. I'll have Why add some thoughts as soon as possible. It doesn't necessarily have to mean that much when you're making this place but it might serve to give you a few ideas.

This is a fairly cold area, so no lush, green vegetation and sparingly use of flora. Regarding new, unique flora - we have some on the horizon but it's either simple to add later on or I want to rather have it close to the oddness that is Morrowind and not this close to Skyrim (which is more "normal" in a nordic sense than Morrowind).
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Dunkreath (that's the new name) is basically an isolated piece of Skyrim in Morrowind. When King Harald united Skyrim in 1E143, this was the easternmost Hold. His second son, King Vrage, started the campaign to expand Skyrim's territory and form the First Empire of the Nords, and he created the Uild Vrage, Vrage's Border, to designate where Skyrim ended and the newly conquered territories of Dwemeris and Velothis began.

When the combined armies of Nerevar and Dumac drove the Nords out of present-day Morrowind in 1E416 and founded Resdayn, the Nords were forced to surrender Dunkreath Hold and retreat to their side of the Velothi Mountains. While the armies of Nerevar conquered much of the old Hold, they never reached the town of Dunkreath due to its remote location. The Dunmer eventually adopted the name Uld Vraech (their version of Uild Vrage) for the region as a whole.

The town of Dunkreath continues to exist autonomously to this day, generally tolerated and/or ignored by the Redoran. It has managed to hold on to its old Skyrim culture very well, and its denizens still despise the Dunmer for stealing their land and mistrust the Devils in their Bugbone armor. It has no Jarl or anything, because what is a Jarl without a Hold. It probably has no formal leadership besides the town elders.

During the course of the game the Nords of the Uld Vraech will revolt against their Redoran oppressors, led by a warlord who makes Dunkreath his base of operations.

edit: if I can make a few suggestions for the town, I'd love for the big building on the hill to the far east to be some sort of community building / mead hall that we can convert into our warlord's palace at some point during the questline. I'd also suggest placing a few farm fields outside the walls because people need food and we want Dunkreath to be self-sustainable. edit2: and avoid stuff that is clearly Skaal, obviously.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Farm fields? Hmm, I imagined fish to be their source of food. Plus the occasional food import whenever a trader dared dock at their port.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Ah, that's cool too, feel free to ignore my suggestion Hells.
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

I'm not sure that growing crops is a good idea in this climate, so the common people living there will be mostly fishermen and lumberers (because of the woods near the city). I have to say that I love the idea about the warlord, I will also follow your suggestion about that "community" building/later palace (idea - we could place an ancient throne inside the Hall, nobody dared to sit on it since the time of the last Jarl of the Hold - of course, when our Warlord returns, everything changes... or not, if it's too silly).

Temple of Kyne/Shor/some other Nordic god is a good thing here?

Btw, I hope that the "Dun" in Dunkreath isn't a reference to the Dunmer or something, bc from what you say Why, it was founded before the Battle of the Red Mountain, when the Dunmer were still Chimer (unless I'm wrong) :P
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Re: Dun-. Yeah, I was thinking the same, maybe we'll need to revise the name of the hold and just make this the (post-red-mountain) name of the town. The above is basically what I remember of a discussion me and Adan had about the region at some point, and my memory is hazy (Actually Adan, if you have anything to say about any of this, please do!). The name Dunkreath comes from [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Slow_Time#Word_Wall_Translations]an inscription in Skyrim[/url] (the game, TESV) which suggests the name is older than the battle, I think.

I'm all for some sort of temple. Shor could be super interesting considering the Nord side of the tale of the Battle of Red Mountain and stuff.
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

5-10 will now include cells -30,20 and -30,21 from 5-8 (since they contain a small part of Strond), Melchior was kind enough to let me work on them in my file (thanks again!).
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Claim coordinates updated as per agreement between Melchior Dahrk and Hells.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Why's Dunkreath/Uild Vrage lore is solid.

On the name "Dunkreath": I'm not sure the "dun" part was ever meant to refer to the Dunmer in the first place. But if we imply it does, we're kinda implying the same thing about Falkreath. I suppose it could have gone nameless or have had a different name before. It's not a big deal either way, I think.

I'm all for some sort of temple. Shor could be super interesting considering the Nord side of the tale of the Battle of Red Mountain and stuff.
Agreed.
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

New file up

http://i.imgur.com/NVbr64O.jpg

Wilderness area around Dunkreath is 99% done, haven't touched the city yet. I plan to deal with seafloor next (rocks, sunken ships, et cetera), and when it's done, I will start to work on Dunkreath full-time, I have some neat ideas how to make this city awesome.

By the way, doing exterior work with BM snow set is pure fun
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Adanorcil wrote:On the name "Dunkreath": I'm not sure the "dun" part was ever meant to refer to the Dunmer in the first place. But if we imply it does, we're kinda implying the same thing about Falkreath. I suppose it could have gone nameless or have had a different name before. It's not a big deal either way, I think
Dun just means 'dark', surely
Test
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Holy baaaaallsack this stuff looks good...
The amount of flora is very good, fitting this climate. I would, however, mention that the tomb in -30, 20 should be accessible not only for the player, but also for anyone following the player, so just some static arrangement that removes the need to jump, since NPCs can't do that. Perhaps in the same way you made the pathway to that lovely cliffside fire?

All thumbs up!
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

How is Str... Dunkreath coming along?
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

Fixed some floaters, bleeders, etc

doing seafloor is driving me crazy
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Still going crazy with the seafloor?
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Hi, last file update was April 10th. Please update claim.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Update, please.
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

I'm really sorry, but once again, engineering studies are keeping me busy, I barely have time for myself. I will finish this of course, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait once this nightmare is over in a week or two. Will post an updated file with something more than a few rocks placed then.

Once again, I'm really sorry and I hope you'll understand.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Hey, don't sweat it. Engineering studies are a much better excuse than I have right now for not working on my NPC claim. :)

In fact, I should totally get to work on that thing right now.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yeti wrote: In fact, I should totally get to work on that thing right now.
Good to see the Jedi Mind Control plug-in we installed on our forums is working as intended.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

No worries, thanks for the reply! Engineering studies are awesome and will come in handy when we build our tr castle one day.
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

exams are finally over, so im getting back to work on this

just give me a couple of days and I'll post a new file
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Lovely! I enjoyed your 5-18 submission by the way, great to see this region coming together.
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

Sorry about the delay, but I swear, old Thiefs (especially the Metal Age) are one of the most addicting games evar

Anyway, new file up - with lots of fixes and that damn seafloor partially done (is there anything more boring than this? jesus, i cant wait to work on the city), see if its rocky enough to fit the overall vision of the area.
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

http://i.imgur.com/eozAUko.jpg

Ok, that damned seafloor is done (and new file up). It should swallow ships nicely now - speaking of which, i added some shipwrecks here and there, after all, this area should be a sailor's nightmare

Anyway! Now I can start working on the good stuff. Here's a map to show the overall vision I have for the city (buildings ofc will be moved from its current positions). I know that this pic does not look nice, but hey, IM NOT A CARTOGRAPHER

http://i.imgur.com/Ts7oai9.jpg

Its mostly inspired by Skyrim cities, like Nemon suggested, but its Morrowind, so even Nord settlements should have a little... twist. So any ideas how to make this more interesting? I want to capture that ancient and unreachable Nord fortress feeling that Dunkreath should have.

and I promise to make it pretty
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I don't really have any suggestions that you won't think of yourself, I think. Maybe use a few of the big Raven Rock walls, making it all look a bit older and worn, maybe an animal pen outside for some domesticated Hooms (those aren't a Dunmer-only thing, right?) or boars.

Try to diversify the people's occupations a bit - the town won't need five fishermen houses and three lumberjacks. They'll need a hunter, a carpenter, maybe a stonemason, a fishmonger, a butcher, et cetera.

Stone docks sound good to me, I suppose it's Nemon's call but he's absent right now. I doubt he'll have any objections as long as they're pretty and properly Uld Vraech.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I'm a bit away at the time but it looks nice so far.
Regarding the city, the current layout (that I made) is not set in stone at all. Consider it me having a little time on my hands and just throwing something together for screenshot purposes and inspiration or whatever. As long as the key parts of this city is kept intact I'm a happy hoe:

- Chieftan/great hall to be situated as showed in your second linked pic. It's supposed to stand out, be of importance both in the way it's situated in the city but also how it looks. Everyone near Dunkreath knows this is an important place, just like Whiterun in Skyrim. That jarl place sure stands out.

- Stone docks? Sure, why not. My stuff was just placeholder like most of the stuff I put in the heightmap files, unless otherwise stated.

- Feel free to play around with the layout of the city, even play with the borders (wall palisades thingy) as long as you don't expand it too much. I mentioned skyrim villages as inspiration earlier because I felt they had an interesting layout. Why's suggestions are good.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Nemon, is this one of those places that's supposed to have cone spruces?

edit: we need a snowy variant of those.
Last edited by Why on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

It's close enough to vanilla MW areas to justify that, yes.
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

Ok, new file up.

The city obviously still needs a shitload of details to make it look really pretteh, but the overall design and building placement are done, so it would be nice if someone take a look at this and see if im heading into right direction.

Since the UV Nord set is rather limited, i'm using some colony pieces in addition to that (mainly as wall pieces and watchtowers atm). Is it ok?

Btw, any suggestions how to make the [url=http://i.imgur.com/B1cInRj.jpg]temple of Shor[/url] more unique using CS pieces? :P

Hoom farm yes/no
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Hells wrote:Btw, any suggestions how to make the [url=http://i.imgur.com/B1cInRj.jpg]temple of Shor[/url] more unique using CS pieces? :P
Yes, I have one:

[url=http://imageshack.us/a/img11/3924/5y65.jpg/][img]http://imageshack.us/a/img11/3924/5y65.th.jpg[/img][/url]

I've been wanting to try out using the colony walls for a Nordic ruins look for a while, but my claim isn't the best for it.

I've played around with the pieces quite a bit, and there's a lot you can do with them.
Hells
Developer

Post by Hells »

Looks nice Gnomey, but I was going to do something like that with the Great Hall on the hill, as in my view, its the most ancient building in Dunkreath and you know, it must look like one ;)

I was thinking... maybe making it look more like Hall of Valor from Skyrim? Does Shor have some symbols, something I could implement in the architecture of that place?

edit: The main problem is that UV interior set is not modular, so combining various buildings into awesomeness is out of the question :<
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I'm not sure if they can be used, but you could try some Skaal meshes.

There's ex_S_bear and ex_S_wolf, for example. Going by the old Norse animalistic religion, they could be gods, as opposed to nature spirits as with the Skaal. Which gods I don't know. Shor is often associated with the snake. There's also In_S_doorway, which I guess looks sort of snake-y.

Another thing I would consider would be how the Nords worshiped. Skyrim seems to go with the whole go-to-temple-and-pray approach, but that could be Imperialism at work.

If you look at my screenshot, for example, I tossed an Ex_colony_tower01 in there because I felt like it, but perhaps Nordic priests traditionally perform public rites outside of the temple, like -- I believe -- the ancient Greeks did. The Nord priests/shamans would stand on a raised platform, yell to the heavens and perform sacrifices or whatever Nords do. It would sort of fit in with the whole Thu-um thing.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Looks very good! I like the docks, make sure to use Collision Wall - INVISO!! mesh to even out for walking easily on it.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Maybe decorate the Temple by surrounding it with pretty "TR_ex_waystone_XX"s?

/edit: oh and the town looks great!