Tamriel Rebuilt site and boards back up again

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Tamriel Rebuilt site and boards back up again

Post by Vegor »

As most of you know, the Tamriel Rebuilt server hard drive has crashed on Friday the 13th of May. All data was lost and in the days following up on the crash, a lot of members have been busy with recovering lost data from backups. The last forum backup was a week old when the crash occurred so some posts were lost. Other than that, most of the data has been recovered, save for a handful of interiors which are currently being redone. Additionally, a few interors were only available in older versions so they have been fixed, or are being fixed at the moment.

The server is back up again and the forums are up and running. This minor setback should not influence any of your work, you can all get back to what you were doing before. If you run into any information that's outdated, because of the database loss for a week, please inform the core member in charge of that.

I would like to thank everyone that helped in recovering data and everyone that supplied files from their backups. Starcrunch in special for recovering much interiors and Zephyr in very special for his tremendous effort in the days following the crash.

An exceptional great thanks to Garfield, who has gone out immediately after the crash to buy two new hard drives, which will be set up to back up all TR data.
Last edited by Vegor on Wed May 25, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

yey! i hereby present a big thank you to all who contributed data or anythig else for that mater.
useles post wasent it? well, im just so hapy to be back! *hugs anyone who posts in this topic*
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Aaah, good to be back.
I also want to make it well-know that Zephyr, Starcrunch, Vegor, Sload, and a handful of others busted their asses to get this back up and running again. In the proscess of re-assembling the lost data, we actually came across a bunch of things that need fixing, so we have ended up in a better position than we were.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

You all made an amazing effort getting this thing back up again - much smoother than last time (anyone remember MouseNet?) I have absolutely no idea what Garfield's financial situation is, but this couldn't have helped it at all. If there's a need for a collection . . . .
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

A big thanks to all who helped get TR up and running again.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Ender
Developer Emeritus

Post by Ender »

Amazing job everyone! I was a little worried for a while there, but I guess I shouldn't have, there seem to be a lot of truly dedicated people here. Again, good job everyone!
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Just in time for the end of finals, too. At least for me at any rate.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I'm not one to say anything, as my parents would have my head if I gave any money to TR, but I think it's right for us to atleast pay MOST of the cost for the server, if not ALL of it.

I also think he should atleast get an easter egg somewhere in TR. I mean, $200 or so bucks out of your pocket for a volunteer mod project you aren't even in charge of.

Zephyr deserves an easter egg too. He worked his ass off for 18 hours moving files around. The tedium would probably kill me.

Here is a basic timeline of what happened after the initial crash

5/13: TR Crashed. Sometime in the early morning, probably, as it didn't work as of 7:00 AM Pacific time that day.

5/13 (Later): The IRC channel is organized. Massey has Massey's Tavern for us to use until we are able to post on the Temporary Server. People notify everyone they can of the crash.

5/14: The files are beginning to be assembled. All maps and OoTs are quickly found, but interiors for Map 2 and 3 are hard to recover.

5/14: Lady N is contacted. She has the Map 3 interiors. Hermit might have the Map 2 interiors, but there is speculation to the contrary.

5/15: Starcrunch and Vegor begin to find Map 2 interiors and send them to Zephyr. He spends an enormous amount of time sorting them. Later, I begin sorting them by claim number to find out exactly what we are missing. They are finding them so fast that my list is rarely, if ever, up to date. Proof is found that Hermit does not have the claims.

5/15: All but 30 interiors are recovered. Much better than the previous 224. It is decided that they are unobtainable.

5/16: Sniper, Starcrunch, and Vegor quickly review and fix all interiors recovered, because many are not the final versions. Lost interiors are claimed.

5/17-5/23: Work progresses. No real new.

5/24: The forums are hosted once again.

That's basically it. Any more things you can add will be wonderful.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

The IRC channels at [url]http://www.ircnet.com[/url], by the way. Channel #tamriel of course. And there are actually people on nowadays.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Yay! I was getting bored.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Zephyr
Developer Emeritus

Post by Zephyr »

If you have problems with posting and are receiving the message

"You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.",

please try again in eight hours or so. The problem probably occured because the temporary server was in gmt+2, while the real server is in gmt-5 or something like that. Everything should work normally after the transition period.

The other possible cause to the problem is that garfield was playing with the server's time settings. In any case, this is only temporary.

There seems to be some problems with claiming at the moment as well, I'll fix it by tomorrow. It's already 3am here.

On the topic of this thread, I'd like to give my thanks to Vegor, Starcrunch and Sloadie for their hard work.

Also, thanks for the appreciation everyone :)
Anonymous

the crash

Post by Anonymous »

I have 100GB to spare,

I would be willing to also back up the TR data files just in case both drives were to fail.

I also have some TR stuff, i have an older darconis file, and some other works.

Please pm me if i can help with backing up TR. i am no good at using the cs set, so maybe i can contribute this way instead.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I don't know about backing it up, Zephyr seems to be able to. It's just that attatchements hadn't been backed up in nearly a year. I'm sure it'll be done more frequently now, though.
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

Alright, good work, guys. :) It's good to be back here. (thankfully, most of the time I was on vacation and wasn't online anyway. :P
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Good work guys. :) Nice to see it back up and running. Sorry I was too busy to get involved with the recovery.
cougar
Developer

Post by cougar »

Yay! nice to have TR back online and running again! Good job, guys!
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

/me cheers

Wooho, everything back up and working, good job guys.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

YAY!! Great job Zephyr, Vegor, Starcrunch, Garfield and Sload.

I'm really glad the server is back up too :D. Well done everyone! yay!

*applauds*

this post is a bit spammy but who cares? THE FORUMS ARE BACK!!!
viKING
Developer

Post by viKING »

A little salute for zephyr and the other helping members

a salute from Norway!

:) great work zeph!
Last edited by viKING on Wed May 25, 2005 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-the real OC G
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Congrats people. It was really pleasent to speak with you on IRC. I hope the cahnnel won't be abondoned again.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
ko2fan
Website Administrator

Post by ko2fan »

see the global announcement.

with some very clever trickery, recovering the superblock and skipping missing sectors, and filling bad sectors with 0s, I have managed to recover /usr which held the mysql db for the forums, and the files for the website.

--
garfield
Abramul

Post by Abramul »

Is everyone else stuck with the default skin?
Tamriel is an impossible place, built on impossible precepts. It's, frankly, a magic ball of sentient schizophrenia. --MK
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Yep. That's because the new claiming system isn't formatted with the other skins.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

And the default skin pwns the other skin's anyway. Are the changes to the forum layout more or less completed now? Or are there still many more to go? J/W.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

Happy Thoughts. *Partakes in the hug*
Stendarr is the God of Mercy and Justice. Therefore, he must also be the bearer of Duck Tape, for only Mercy and Justice can use Duck Tape for the Good of man.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)