What do you think of Revenge of the Sith?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

4 Stars
60%
3 Stars
27%
2 Stars
10%
1 Stars
3%

Total votes: 30

Thane

Post by Thane »

I liked it.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

I must admit I didn't like it the first time. Palpatine and Vader both seemed so cheesy. I loved it the second time, it was so much better then the last two films.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

It was a good movie (I guess, though, thatmy low expectations after episodes 1 and 2 helped my impresson). It was fun to watch. Yeah, you had to check your brain at the entrance, but what the hell, it's star wars, that's not precisely what I'd call hard, scientific science-fiction. Star Wars is FX and a bit scifi flair, it's a very recognisable (and, in my view, appealing) set and FX design - I like that mix of 60s retro SciFi and American School of art nouveau.

Acting? Ahem. Plausibility? Ahem. Dialogue? AHEM. But what the hell? It's Star Wars.
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

1/3 worthy of being part of the original Starwas saga, 1/3 okay movie, but not quite good enough, and 1/3 suck.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Continuing hermit's speach:
Logic ? Ahem.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Yeah there were some major screw-ups like whan the droid slid off of Anakin's ship in the start, and the gravity on Grevious' ship, but it was still enjoyable.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Oh, please. If we go into all of that, let's discuss why there are sound effects in outer space, why ships, when destroyed, fall through a nonexistant gravity, etc., etc., etc.

Anyhow, onto the movie. I really liked it. Compared to episodes I&II, of course, it soars through the roof to unimaginable levels of height. Compared to the original trilogy, even, it holds up quite well.

I didn't quite see Palpatine or Anakin as 'cheesy.' What everyone needs to realize before seeing the movie is that it's science fantasy. It does a nice job of dumbing characters down to 'good' and 'evil.' Palpatine, of course, is the embodiment of 'evil.' It's only through his actions that we come to terms with how we percieve 'evil' in real life, and be wary of it. This is what I feel George Lucas deserves muchos hugs for:

You see, by now Star Wars is a definitive part of American culture. It's not pink-commie liberal propaganda, nor is it ultra-conservative war-mongering blab. The entire series has been practically without any political subconnotation at all.

Until now, that is.

This movie, I think, actually could have a much greater impact politically than even the movies that intended to, such as Fahrenheit 911. The problem with those movies is they're so completely biased for a side that the other side won't even bother considering what they say. Star Wars, however, as I said before, appeals to just about every American. And now, for the first (and probably last) time, it talks politics. And how.

There's a disturbing similarity between the RotS plot and what's currently going on the world. It's even more disturbing when you learn that the Star Wars plot was thought up over 25 years ago. But it's so plainly here, it's not funny. I won't go into political assaults here, so I'll just tell the Star Wars story.

Once upon a time, there was a Galactic Republic. People were happy, because the Galactic Republic was warm and fuzzy. Everybody had their say, and the word 'democracy' made children have good dreams at night. And then evil Mr. Palpatine, a politician, decides that he wants power. So what does evil Mr. Palpatine do? He engineers a war on no basis whatsoever. Whatever reason for war there is only comes up after the conflict has started. So the Good Republic is now afraid, because the Evil Seperatists want to overthrow them. However, the Evil Seperatists think they're the good guys. They think that the Good Republic is ruled by an evil man, who, by now, is evil Mr. Palpatine. Because the Good Republic is so worried, they give evil Mr. Palpatine more powers. For their own safety, they give him their rights. And soon the Evil Seperatists are defeated and sent back home, but evil Mr. Palpatine now has control. Evil Mr. Palpatine decides the Good Jedi, who always have supported the Good Republic and kept up the laws, threaten him, so he tells the public that the Good Jedi are actually bad guys and want to kill him. So The Good Jedi are all slaughtered. Silly Jedi. And then, what happens? Evil Mr. Palpatine proclaims himself an Emperor, and oh, how happy the senate is! (that is, until they're dissolved 18 years later.)

I think I've made my point. The movie has a few problems, easily; it ain't perfect, but the message it gives, and the fact that nearly everyone has an open ear, is very hopeful. If it does nothing else at all, I think, at least it will make people just a little more wary.

Pfeh.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

And I was thinking I overinterpreted Star Wars when I watched that movie.

"Only Sith deal in absolutes of good and evil." If anything that sentence (and Anakin quoting Bush more than once - "You'Re either with me or you'Re my enemy). Please note that I don't think Bush can ever dream of being such a cool villain as Darth Vader is) made me wonder.

But it has been - on some level, at least - political before. Think of the complete absence of all christian symbolism in the movie, isplay of decidedly heathen rituals like fire funerals and all the Jedi babble of balance and the force (and the twisting of the Christian messiah myth in RotS!). That has made me wonder about Star Wars for some time now.
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

[quote="Garriath"]Oh, please. If we go into all of that, let's discuss why there are sound effects in outer space, why ships, when destroyed, fall through a nonexistant gravity, etc., etc., etc.

quote]
I would just like to point out that
A) there are sound effects because the movie would be gay if all space parts where muted
B) The ships don't fall they get pulled toward the planet
C) what was happening on the driod ship was the gravity was all mess-up. it had nothing to do with which way the ship was pointing or maybe it worked liked this

|| everyone gets pulled toward the 'g'
||
||
G
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

@Hermit: I suppose you're right. Suffice to say, however, that somehow it's still accepted on most extremist Christian websites which instantly declaim a movie presenting other religions (I refer, in this case to www.christiananswers.net. Before people accuse me of misenterpreting what it says, I present a direct quote from it on the movie "The Thirteenth Warrior", starring Antonio Banderas: ...I found it a little hard to stomach for its spiritual content as well as for the graphic battle scenes. Twice, the Norsemen rely on soothsayers for guidance, and [the protagonist] frequently refers to Allah.) still rates Star Wars quite highly. It's an accepted part of American culture, and any political subgenres have been almost entirely missed. Somehow, though, I doubt this one will be.

And littlebros, referring to something negative as 'gay' is the most stylish and perfect way to reduce me to fits of rage I can think of. I'd rather not start a whole campaign against you for keeping it up, so please, cut it out, friend?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i don't know what your talking about. 'G' stands for gravity
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

With all due respect...
I would just like to point out that
A) there are sound effects because the movie would be GAYif all space parts where muted
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

well the details were only thought up more recently for the new trilogy. all we knew was there were something called the clone wars in the past, which kenobi was involved in.

There was alot that has been elaborated in books that they seemed to ignore, like making the death star being designed by the trade federation seperatists.

Well, sounds don't exist in a vacuum (bleh i can't spell), but space really isn't a vacuum. In any case waves can travel in a vacuum, they just can't be detected as there's no medium that is disturbed. There's actually so much spacedust, gas and whatnot that sound could be transmitted, but not well at all. But to a pilot inside an airtight cockpit, once the sound enters the air, you'd be able to hear it.
Last edited by Eraser on Thu May 26, 2005 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
der gottlose

Post by der gottlose »

The space sound effects add to the quatlity of the movie, IMHO.

Oh, and I like how Lucasfilms seems to have better animation every time. Shiny.
Last edited by der gottlose on Sat May 28, 2005 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ich liebe garfield! Wir lieben Garfield!

http://s13.invisionfree.com/TiMorrowind
That's my morrowind forum. Go there now.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Please keep this thread on topic from now on or I'll have to lock it. Especially littlebros.

Yep, there's no direct sound in space but having all these spectacular space fights without sound would really be lame. I still have to see this movie though, so I can't really say anything about it.
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Ah yes, back on topic...
Eraser wrote:well the details were only thought up more recently for the new trilogy. all we knew was there were something called the clone wars in the past, which kenobi was involved in.
While not every detail was thought up, obviously, you seem to forget Vader's line in A New Hope stating that the Galactic Senate has just been dissolved.
Thane

Post by Thane »

Yeah-a bit was hinted at in the trilogy about the sequels. Obi-Wan's line was NOT an attack on Bush-Lucas even came out and said so. The story is about how a democracy becomes an Empire and how a man falls to his passion and then redeems himself. Modern politics do not play a part in the story.
"We are the Knights who say-NI!"
"Now bring us a shrubbery"
"A nice one, but...not too expensive..."
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

To me, I think that's much like Oliver Stone coming out and stating Platoon wasn't intended to decry war. Then again, Oliver Stone doesn't quite have a reputation of picking up little kiddies off the street and suing them for all their parents can afford (and more!) Basically, it's been shown before that Lucas has multiple faces (and asses) so I'd take everything I hear him say with a grain of salt.

Mistakes such as these don't just happen.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

It is really irrelevant what George Lucas thinks about Bush.

If the line is a plausible thing that would have been said in that situation, well then it is what it is. If Bush said a similar thing, either that statement isn't necessarily evil in itself, and Bush is fine, or the opposite. Which really sets us back to square one, Bush making a statement like that in the first place.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

I think it was a pretty good movie, no where near as good as the original trilogy but that is to be expected. I thought the plot was rather weak though, i mean come on, Padme died because she "lost the will to live" or whatever. wtf? that it the stupidist thing I ever heard in a starwars movie! something better should have happened to her. she could have been injured or ill or SOMETHING. And also the fact that Anikin had a preminition that she was gonna die and that turned him to the dark side was a bit illogical. It would have made much more sense imo if she had died and THEN he turned to the dark side.

They did a good job in putting everything in the right positions for the beginning of the original trilogy but the guy who played Anikin (forgotten his name) was a crappy actor imo. I thought I whole thing was too love based - mind you, it wasnt as bad as the second one was in that way. Butthe evil dude being in love..... hmm.....

I laughed at the classic-evil-guy-yelling-NOOOOOOOOO...... bit. That was really funny. :P
Abramul

Post by Abramul »

Please delete this post.
Last edited by Abramul on Tue May 31, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamriel is an impossible place, built on impossible precepts. It's, frankly, a magic ball of sentient schizophrenia. --MK
Abramul

Post by Abramul »

One problem I had with it: You can't jump over lava without getting crisped (unless you're in Morrowind).

The effects were fantabulous, but some of the fights were spoiled by knowing one or both parties had to live.

P.S. Sound is not transmitted in a vacuum.
Tamriel is an impossible place, built on impossible precepts. It's, frankly, a magic ball of sentient schizophrenia. --MK
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I loved it.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Treeman300

Post by Treeman300 »

One of the few things I disliked was that they failed to find a way to kill of Jar Jar
4550re0
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

You remember the part where darth vader is all like "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"?
http://unitedstatesofno.ytmnd.com/
here's a song version - I almost puked from laughing so hard.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I think it's all propaganda from the New Republic. My good and holy Emperor was displayed as a heartless villain!

Seriously, Palpatine has got to be the coolest character in Star Wars.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

In Episode VI, I was recently watching the new special edition of it on DVD. When the Emperor talks to Luke about how the rebel fleet will be distroyed, once and for all, he suddenly looks down, crosses his eyes for a split-second, and looks over to Luke's lightsaber beside his throne-thing, and says 'Yes, you'd like this, wouldn't you?'.

I thought it was the funniest thing in a movie I've ever seen. (funniest thing that happened on accident)
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Well massey, that'd be another new trilogy F-up. padme(luke and leia's mother) was mentioned in ROTJ that she took care of leia when the two were seperated and hidden (because of anakin turning to the dark side)

Garriath, I remember, actually it was the old guy with white hair (forgot his name) that said that. but what does that have to do with what I said? I was refering to was that they didn't elaborate that the clone wars is what brought palpatine to power and turned the old republic into the empire. I actually think in a new hope, they called it the imperial senate once.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

in episode 6 Hans Solo calls Padme 'Elliz' or something at one point. George never caught it either, not even in the special cut
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

in episode 6 Hans Solo calls Padme 'Elliz' or something at one point. George never caught it either, not even in the special cut
Padme is dead before episode 4. you're talking about Leia. considering "elliz" has no similarity to the character's nor actress' name, I conclude you are on crack.
Upsilon
Developer

Post by Upsilon »

In Episode VI, I was recently watching the new special edition of it on DVD. When the Emperor talks to Luke about how the rebel fleet will be distroyed, once and for all, he suddenly looks down, crosses his eyes for a split-second, and looks over to Luke's lightsaber beside his throne-thing, and says 'Yes, you'd like this, wouldn't you?'. I thought it was the funniest thing in a movie I've ever seen. (funniest thing that happened on accident
You are damn right! After the Emperor says to Luke he will destroy de Alliance, Luke turns back slowly and look at his lightsaber with insistence. The emperor notices it and turned his head toward to lightsaber. Then he murmurs,very slowly, as if he was dying : "You... want this..." He caresses the lightsaber with his claws and add : "... don't you?"

I think it's hilarious...
Last edited by Upsilon on Tue May 31, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

And also the fact that Anikin had a preminition that she was gonna die and that turned him to the dark side was a bit illogical.
Actualy I think Palpatine was projecting the visions on him in order to help anakins lust for power to grow. Though I do agree that Padme died under prety weak circumstances.

You can't jump over lava without getting crisped (unless you're in Morrowind).
Or happen to be a Jedi.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Lord Elias
Reviewer

Post by Lord Elias »

I realy,realy liked the movie.But,it's not about politics.It's about how men gets all screwed up coz of women.And one more thing:I'd like the SW 100 times more if it were the Dark Side who wins...
:evil:
:)