morrowind skills

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

nietzsche

morrowind skills

Post by nietzsche »

I have a question for you all. It isn't actually very new question, but here it goes: What skills do you think are the most useful/least useful in morrowind?

here's my list:

useful: unarmored, light armor, weapon skills -except block, h-to-h & armorer, almost all the magic schools -except alchemy, conjuration & enchant.

not so useful: all the thieving skills (You can use the console to get the money items you need) heavy & medium armor (this because of the stupid inventory system which based on the weight value of the objects)

This is however only my opinion. You are free to critize me and/or express your own list
Dr.Evil

Post by Dr.Evil »

You can use the console to get the money items you need
skills? whatfore? i'm just cheating through the game :roll:

my opinion: every skill can be useful depending on your gaming style.......
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

This should be in the lounge.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Raijin

Post by Raijin »

Except for Mercantile, since 100 Disposition does the same thing anyways. >_>
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Moving...
THEO
Abramul

Post by Abramul »

Single most useful skill is Alchemy, as you can use it to get money, support your combat abilities, or even boost your stats in order to take on higher-level enemies.
Tamriel is an impossible place, built on impossible precepts. It's, frankly, a magic ball of sentient schizophrenia. --MK
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Alchemy, Armourer, Security, Light Armour and Long Blade are the only really useful ones IMO. Mysticism has its' moments, but the other magic ones aren't good enough to warrant using.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Re: morrowind skills

Post by Gez »

Here's my list:

Useful: Block, Alchemy, Conjuration, Enchantment, Security, one weapon skill, one armor skill.

Useless: all other combat skills.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Raijin wrote:Except for Mercantile, since 100 Disposition does the same thing anyways. >_>
No it doesn't. Mercantile allows tobargain with people better. If you have mercantile, you can reduce the amount spent better. High dispsition makes them charge less initially. Try mercantile out before you say that.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

By the time you can get a high mercantile money is no object anyway.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I am actually trying to get all my skills up to 100.
Not using the console...

My lowest skills are in the magic areas. I didn't start alchemying things and enchanting until late in the piece.

I like enchanting. I have lots of custom pieces with specific purposes, all made in-game. I don't summon too many 'helpers' by hand. I never think of it.

My next trip to the Clothier's will see a suit of Magicka-fortifying apparel, armour and jewellery.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Jale wrote:By the time you can get a high mercantile money is no object anyway.
What are you talking about? Mercantile is easy get to get to 100. You'll probily get high mercantile before a weapon skill if you actually use it.
Silvone Elestahr
Developer

Post by Silvone Elestahr »

If you want to do something really time consuming, get all of your skills up to 100 without using the console or paying for any training. So far I've got all but two or three of my major and minor skills, and a few of the misc skills. The most important skills to me are
longblade; alchemy; heavy armor; destruction; conjuration; illusion; enchantment
37: Rejoice as TeeAr rebuilds these lands that have been ravaged by war and famine. May those who STand in his way be smited by his many hands in an unrelenting torment.
-Noirgrim
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Silvone Elestahr wrote:If you want to do something really time consuming, get all of your skills up to 100 without using the console or paying for any training.
Training costs too much and I'm too cheap to pay for it. And I don't use the console.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Useful:
Alchemy - This has got to be the single most easy skill to abuse. Add to that, it's absurdly easy to level up, assuming you have the scratch to buy thick stacks of ingredients.
Illusion - Allows low level characters to go into places they're not meant to be. In the Mages Guild, I got to Skink's fourth mission with a level 1 character. No cheating or anything like that.
Mysticism - If only for mark/recall.
Restoration - Now, for cheating, this is invalueable. If you fortify your fatigue to absurd levels, all sorts of interesting things happen. You never miss, you never fail to pick a lock, you actually gain HP when you fall from a height.
Security - Magicka is better spent on other things.
Sneak - Just about every son of a bitch in the game will ask you to steal something. Going undetected when you do is helpful.
Speechcraft - This is the other skill that every son of a bitch with a quest wants you to use.

Useless:
Armorer - When the hell are you going to be away from a town long enough for your gear to become worthless? Add to that, repair equipment is heavy as shit, so you won't be carrying around much else.
Athletics - There's absolutely no reason to get this skill over any others. The difference it makes isn't that noticeable, and it's much harder to purposefully level up.
Block - At high levels, your fights won't be long enough for it to matter. At low levels, the skill won't be high enough to have a real impact.
Unarmored - OOh! You mean I too can have an Armor rating of 65 when I'm maxed out?! By the time that happens, you'll have Dark Brotherhood, Orcish, or Dwemer armors, which are just a little bit better.
Hand-to-hand - No. Just no. Have you ever used it? Pain.

For myself:
I always take Armorer, Alchemy, Hand-to-hand, Sneak, Speechcraft, and whatever weapon/armor skills I plan not to use. Why? You have to do something specific to level them, and not levelling them doesn't have a dramatic effect on your gameplay. It gives you more control over when you level up, allowing you to hit 5x multipliers more easily. Also, these skills are a pain in the ass to level up from 5. They're bad enough from 15-30.

I also like hand-to-hand so I don't have to buy any of the crappy weapons at the beginning of the game, and I can up my Speed right away. I practice against mudcrabs and stuff until I can box down a Daedra or Saint. I like to get my first set of armor free, taunting a guard. They give a good estimate of whether or not you're ready for Daedra and Saints.

Technically, Spear is a great skill. Levelling it ups your Endurance, and the faster you can get that to 100, the more HP you'll get overall.It helps that it's the only Endurance-governed skill that doesn't require you to stand around like an ass while you get hit.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

I would have to do the following
Usefull
Weapon of choice
heavy or light armor both are good medium and un suck
Alchemy (money and uber potions are yours. Especially fix str potions and dual health/fatigue)
security (magica better spent elsewhere and is easy to level early on)

fun
Enchant (abusing this can be fun)

useless
h2h (why?)
unarmored (why?)
illusion (too many items have the same affect)
armorer (all it does is raise the chance of you fixing stuff and hammers aren't exactly rare)
mercantile (scamp nuff said)
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

Most useful: alteration, destruction, swords (for the epic weapons from tribunal), heavy armor, enchanting

Crappiest: unarmored, conjuration (an errant swing can make them turn on you), hand to hand, mercantile (speechcraft can basically replace it).
Only the prospect of death makes life worth living.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Jacurutu wrote:Most useful: alteration, destruction, swords (for the epic weapons from tribunal), heavy armor, enchanting

Crappiest: unarmored, conjuration (an errant swing can make them turn on you), hand to hand, mercantile (speechcraft can basically replace it).
No it can't. 100 dispsition CANNOT replace good mercantile. 100 disposition means they give you better initial deals; good mercantile means you heggle better. With 100 mecantile you hear "your offer is refused" about less than you miss with a sword with 100 long blade.
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

It's so easy to get money in Morrowind that you hardly have to haggle all that often anyway, and disposition carries into everything you do.
Only the prospect of death makes life worth living.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

lol omg m3rcantil3!!!11

Once you've fortified your personality by a few thousand points, you can buy anything for 1 gold, and sell anything for the max amount the buyer has. A chick in the Balmora Temple has the stuff you need to make fortify personality potions, and an infinite stock of them to boot. That'll raise mercantile like m4d. It probably has the same kind of effect on speechcraft.

It's fun to buy out someone for a buck.

I'm finding that Armorer is a pain in the ass to raise. I wish I could disintegrate my own weapons, but it dioesn't seem to take.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Earl wrote:I'm finding that Armorer is a pain in the ass to raise. I wish I could disintegrate my own weapons, but it dioesn't seem to take.
Boost your strength as much as you boost your personality, then attack scribs and mudcrabs.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Earl wrote:lol omg m3rcantil3!!!11

Once you've fortified your personality by a few thousand points, you can buy anything for 1 gold, and sell anything for the max amount the buyer has. A chick in the Balmora Temple has the stuff you need to make fortify personality potions, and an infinite stock of them to boot. That'll raise mercantile like m4d. It probably has the same kind of effect on speechcraft.

It's fun to buy out someone for a buck.

I'm finding that Armorer is a pain in the ass to raise. I wish I could disintegrate my own weapons, but it dioesn't seem to take.
Yeah how about without being an alchemist. Try being a stelth or combat class for a change.
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

My Methods are as following:

Rob Seyda Neen Blind and do all the beginner's stuff.
Rob Suran as blind as possible at lv. 1.
Sell it all to Creeper and between sellings (since I hate wasting days by sleeping for 24 hrs,) and go train.

Upon the completion of Heavy Armor Mastery, Rob Ghost gate. Upon this, do more training, and keep robbing until high enough level is obtained to just cluster-fuck a group of Ordainators and sell their armor without raising your bounty. I'm a big fan of Speechcraft for all of this.

Needless to say, I train all of my skills to 100 (with the exception of the skills without the placed masters) and to as high as possible otherwise. Lots of money, lots of crime. Upon completion of this though, my charecter atones and I virtually act like a saint... Except where the guilds are concerned.

As for my style, My Heratige says Dark Elf, my methods say Nord (Kill first, kill later, when all are dead, fuck the questions and go drink).

Favor Medium and Heavy armor mix (since Heavy is generally better, but my favorite armor is the Ebony Mail). All Weapons, since I keep one of each main group (one long blade, one short blade, etc...), Speechcraft and Mercantile, Conjuration, Alchemy, Restoration, Block, and Athletics + Acrobatics.

The only skill I find useless is illusion.
Stendarr is the God of Mercy and Justice. Therefore, he must also be the bearer of Duck Tape, for only Mercy and Justice can use Duck Tape for the Good of man.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)