Be a part of the System [outdated]

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Earl
Developer Emeritus

Be a part of the System [outdated]

Post by Earl »

You are not a free man. You are a number.
Er... *cough*

A handful of you may be familiar with the Majra Decimal System. By "familiar" I mean "you've heard of it once or twice". Or "you looked in the sticky post it was in before I arbitrarily decided to delete it".

Well, now it's back.
And all future books will have to be hunted, and tagged with an identifying alphanumeric string before being released into the wilds of the Finished Books forum. Don't worry though. It's not that complicated, and it'll help modders place books without having to read every one first.

How does this work? It's simple. Books contain a variety of information, but people don't have to know everything about it to place it correctly. The Majra Decimal System makes the information most vital to placement obvious, and seperates these pieces of information with... wait for it... decimals! In each place, you've got...

Place 1: Province relevancy
Place 2: Religious influence
Place 3: Great House relevancy
Place 4: Misc faction relevancy.
Place 5: Historic relevancy
Place 6: General content
Place 7: Racial bias
Place 8: Rarity

Code: Select all

General:
For places 2, 3, 4, and 7 we have modifiers
Favored		+
Disliked	-
Banned		X

For many categories and misc use, we have special descriptors
General		G
Does not apply	XX
On the occasion that more than one abbreviation would apply to a given decimal place, all applicable abberviations will be given, each seperated by a slash (/)

Code: Select all

Place 1:
Black Marsh	BM
Cyrodiil	CY
Elsweyr		ER
Hammerfell	HF
High Rock	HR
Morrowind	MW
Skyrim		SR
Summurset	SS
Valenwood	VW

Place 2:
Almalexia	A
Imperial Cult	IC
Sotha Sil	S
Tribunal Temple	TT
Vivec		V
(others as needed)

Place 3:
Dres		D
Hlaalu		H
Indoril		I
Redoran		R
Telvanni	T
Dagoth		6
Dwemer		DW

Place 4:
Ashlanders			ASH
Assassins Guild			ASG
Blades				BLD
Dark Brotherhood		DB
Fighters Guild			FG
Imperial Legion			IL
Mages Guild			MG
Morag Tong			MT
Prostitutes Guild		PG
Sisterhood of the Spider	SOS
Thieves Guild			TG
Twin Lamps			TL
(others as needed)

Place 5:
First Era	1E
Second Era	2E
Early Third Era	E3
Modern		M

Place 6:
Adventure	A
Horror		H
Mercantile	MER
Mystery		MYS
Poetry		P
Scholarly	S
(others as needed)

Place 7:
Altmer		ALT
Argonian	ARG
Beastfolk	B
Bosmer		BOS
Breton		BRE
Chimer		CHI
Dunmer		DUN
Dwemer		DWE
Elf		E
Human		H
Imperial	IMP
Khajiit		KHA
Nord		NRD
Orc		ORC
Redguard	RED
Sload		S

Place 8:
Common	1
Unique	10
Abbreviations are totally unnecessary, and only included under the possibility that someone, for whatever reason, might get off on abbreviations. Weirdo.

As an example...
Let's say I've got a common book relevant to Morrowind, written in the past, that discusses the soul and how bneastfolk don't have them. It's code would best be:
Morrowind.General.XX.XX.2ndEra.Scholarly.-beastfolk.1

General questions about the decimal places:
Place 1: Province relevancy
---- Something is relevant to a province if it takes place there, or it the characters are predominantly of a race appropriate to a given region. A question to ask yourself is Where would I expect to find this book?
Place 2: Religious influence
---- Not just limited to the IC or TT, but also ecompassing all things (D)Aedric and metaphysical. If you have a Dremora fighting Nords or something in your story, that doesn't count.
Place 3: Great House relevancy
---- Like the Dremora example, mentioning a House in passing isn't enough. If the House or someone in it features large in the story, then yes.
Place 4: Misc faction relevancy
---- You guessed it.
Place 5: Historic relevancy
---- A piece about a time period is classified under that time period. A piece involving more than one is classified under more than one.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

That's not really necessary right now. I figure one way or the other someone -- probably me -- will have to go through and assign values to all of the old books. For the moment, the best that can be done is a centralized static listing, like a text file, so values given to individual books in individual posts won't really do anything.

Later on, we may have some fancy-pants way of organizing the books on the forum itself... but either way, having values on-hand will certainly help.

Requiring new books to use it... that's just so someone will have less books to read through later.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Locked. Will be moved to Archives as soon as I feel like it.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined