Seeing the forest for the trees

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

FoxTamer

Seeing the forest for the trees

Post by FoxTamer »

I'm trying to make a very forested area in 3-6. Does anyone know if there is a practical limit to how many trees you can stuff in an area?

I've never seen a very thick forest in-game, either in Bethesda's official games or any mod. Is there any reason not to make a thick forest, dense with trees?

When I tried to do this in the Editor (build a very thick forest) the render window seemed to slow down a lot, but then it would recover and speed up.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

There aren't think forests in game because they slow down performance. There shouldn't be any thick forests in morrowind, it is supposed to be a very dry hostile environment not suitable for lush forests.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

look at the forest near silgrad that seems thick to me.
I said I would return and I may have been right. The past must stay in the past as agreed. If the core needs me or has a job for me just ask for now I watch and write.

Former Moderator of the Core.
Was once called the Sotha Sil of the core.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Thats a little too thick
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
wererat
Developer

Post by wererat »

those are good reasons but the best, well to me, is because it takes a much longer time to create a dense forest than a thinner forest
'To be thanked for having done one's duty is humiliating' - The Vicomte de Bragelonne
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Wererat, modding simply takes time if the result is to be worth looking at. I see no need to hush things here; neither MEmodd nor any other higher-profile mod is to be out soon, and even if, this is no race for speed, but for quality!

Besides, a bit of forest can't hurt (theoretically), maybe we can try and find out what the maximum in trees bearable for average performance PC is?
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
FoxTamer

Post by FoxTamer »

I kind of think along the same lines as Hermit here. I'm trying to make an attractive and interesting Exterior. Besides, I'm working on 3-6, and accoring to the maps, 3-6 is dominated by what looks like a very striking geographical feature...a wide, green, forested valley.

To just place a few clumps of trees in the grass wouldn't differentiate this distinct area from any other. But if the forest slows me up that much, I may have no choice.

I have a very low-end machine....barely enough RAM and processor speed to run Morrowind (900 mghz processor, 128 MB RAM). So I'm a good example of a low-end system running Morrowind. I can test out my forest and see how it runs in game.

Somewhere I read how many "faces" in a cell starts to slow down the performance too much. Now I can't find that reference again. Anyone know?
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Look uop the tech section, I think there's a console commands thread there. you can type something in the console and have your framerate shown in the lower right corner of the screen when playing.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

I got 2.53 ghz, is that low end?

lol :P

Really, I think if u do it right, you can just make it look thick, w/o it acually being that thick.

example=velnayia
Last edited by Dakkan on Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Day-kin)
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Err ... Velnaya? Hunh? What mod is that? Could someone enlighten me please?
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
wererat
Developer

Post by wererat »

i got a crappy system (ME) and a crappy internet connection. forest i dont mess with if its a private project but for claims i take my time
'To be thanked for having done one's duty is humiliating' - The Vicomte de Bragelonne
wererat
Developer

Post by wererat »

dakkans right. you can make a forest look thick without actually using alot of trees. just layer trees and dont forget to place rocks (they take up empty 'ugly' space also)
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

The main thing keeping a very dense forest from being done is the poly count on the existing tree models....I have seen shots of some very low poly models that can make a good showing of a dense forest but have yet to get my hands on them....Basicaly if you want to make a dense forest and make it worth while to play around in there is going to have to be new models made for trees...

Also I think dense forested areas are going to be more acceptable in Argonia and Valenwood. Probably a little in Cyrodiil Somerset and southern Elsewyr as well. Morrowind just isn't a good place to put a dense forest....at least not a live one....
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

Velayia is a mod that adds a continent west of vvarvendell, and the entire thing is one great forest. Someone made a thread here about "how to make dense forests" there is a link in there, but the velayia mod...sucked... its just that the forest was awsome.

[url]http://tr.silgrad.com/thread.php?threadid=386&boardid=88&styleid=1[/url]

here it is
Last edited by Dakkan on Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Day-kin)
FoxTamer

Post by FoxTamer »

Maybe someday someone could invent a "forest canopy" mesh or object, that we just kind of lay over the existing trees, creating a dense foresty feel, yet allowing weather effects to come through.

I'd do it myself, if I had modeling software. Maybe for Christmas...
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

Thats what velayia basicly does.
(Day-kin)
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

A forest you say? A horrible area for me to go through I say. Noirgrim's exellent 3-12 claim had a swamp with a somewhat dense placement of trees. The experience I got from it wasn't exactly *smooth*. (Average, I had fps 10 I think. Usually lies around 25 :P )

This has a much greater impact then one thinks. *Especially* trees with alpha-mapping (can see through leaves etc.) gives the cpu a hard time. The dense forest is Silgrad did slow down the performance. And it used *dead* trees, with no alpha-mapping :P
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

Odd, i had little trouble in noir's forest.

But, I really think we should come up with a way to have a super dense forest sooner or later, becuase we WILL need it.Meby lower the poly count. I think all those who never tried velayia should go and do so now.

(when u get to the island, if u find a little wood elf in the middle of a forest, DON'T DRINK HIS POTION!)

It has a canopy so thick, u caint see through it.
Last edited by Dakkan on Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Day-kin)
Ender
Developer Emeritus

Post by Ender »

There are tons of very good quality trees out there with lower polycount than bethesda's. And there are variations of those trees. A dense unique forest is very possible.

The forest in Velayia is poorly made, it has low quality models for trees, and the forest has nothing more than trees, for the most part it has no rocks, no flowers, no plants, nothing. Just poor quality trees which in some places are perfectly aligned....

With that said, the forest in Velayia is pretty atmospheric, I loved it. I can only imagine what can be done with the aforementioned models and the experience some of our people have on landscaping...
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Indeed, low-poly trees might do the trick
wererat
Developer

Post by wererat »

where can i find that forest?
RaJevir

Post by RaJevir »

For the most part this is a moot point. We will have very few dense forests until we get past skyrim. That gives us at least 5 years to upgrade our systems to handle them. I imagine that thick forests even with high poly count trees will be little problem for our computers 5 years from now.
"Scrib specimen number two escaped from its pen today. Again. I shall have to find some other way to limit its mobility, as building higher walls seems to have little effect" -Mistress Rathra
Garland

Post by Garland »

That gives us at least 5 years to upgrade our systems to handle them.

NO! Now you've cursed us.
claims:
4-21 - completed
5-12 - completed
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

We should see who is interested in a Forests of Tamriel Project.

The team could try to make the most efficient forest possible... or atleast the most efficient forest illusion possible ;)

They could also develop new low poly tree models.. either by creating their own or modifying existing ones.

The forests are not really a concern for morrowind but they would be nice for skyrim.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Odd, the big map we use shows quite a lot of forest in the Northwestern part of Morrowind (Group Map 5). Is this just supposed to be scattered clumps of trees?

And it BETTER not take 5 years for us to get done with Skyrim. By then Oblivion will be old news and this whole project could be a moot point.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Moork's map is just a guideline. Don't pay any greater attention to it's detail like trees, since this can't be decided by such an overview map. It merely states that this area might hold a lot of flora. Or something ;)
Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

I have a friend from school who says he might one day join TR. He said one of the big things he wants to do is make more real-life based trees and some forests....guess this will disappoint him :P.