xrb's concept art: all things sharp, stabbity and cool.

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

xroninbasho23

xrb's concept art: all things sharp, stabbity and cool.

Post by xroninbasho23 »

turning an eye to Dres, seemingly the only Great House without a set armor, i decided to try to get some bonemold armor of their own. i started with the original concept art from morrowind, taking some of the Dres elves depicted there and reworking the motifs throughout to produce a singular style. i arranged the images with the original concept art in the corner and my recoloring (by pencil, as i'm regretfully bereft of photoshop) big in the middle. here's what i got:

[url]http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dres132mu.jpg[/url]
-this pic delineated both the look of the armor (bonemold plates varnished black) and the long scarves on the robes, patterned with meshed rectangles.

[url]http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dres120sg.jpg[/url]
-this was the pic that started the idea of the facial covering, rather than a full helmet.

[url]http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dres111jm.jpg[/url]-this great full-body pic not only provided a weapon and shield design, but also gave me the second scarf pattern (box-rows with what i thought might have been a little tear-shape in the middle), the bandoleer, the head-dress (which can be seen in the Bethesda comics as well) and the triangle-hexagon Dres insignia.

i put it all together and drew myself up, along with some other little musings above, a warrior of House Dres, in fine b&w, along with a spear, shield and shortsword/knife:
[url]http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dres14qa.jpg[/url]

hopefully more to come.

--xrb23
Last edited by xroninbasho23 on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Actually I believe a model for Dres's Bonemold Armor has already been made, I just don't have a link to the current model.

But still keep making designs, for them or otherwise.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

I think the Dres do have a set of Bonemold armor. Look in OoT for "TR_a_dres_xxxx" for their suit of bonemold. Cool concepts though!
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
The Old Ye Bard

Post by The Old Ye Bard »

all really great, 3rd one looks more like it would be dwemer in origin (maybe dwemer warlord) it would go great in some sort of quest, forth one looks redguard which we could use when/if we do hammerfall next.

keep up the good work.

The Old Ye Bard
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus
Location: That big place next to the smaller place with the tree.

Post by Morgoth »

Nice, you're a good artist. One thing though, your proportions are waaay off. The fourth one looks like a dwarf-elf, and the third one's legs are too short for the body, making it look as if he is sitting down on something. You have excellent potential, and if you work on proportions you'll be doing great in no time. If you really have a hard time with proportions, try buying one of those wodden posey guys (forget what they're called) and use that, they helped me imensly.
Founder of the Realms of Renth. Please give us a visit!

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4640/sigbannerap7.jpg[/img]

www.realmsofrenth.com
xroninbasho23

Post by xroninbasho23 »

thanks for the...

Tur: info.
Xui: reference.
Bard: ideas.
Morgoth: critique - getting a model probably wouldn't be a bad idea, so thanks for the suggestion, too.

and compliments, of course, are always much appreciated.

--xrb23
Note to self:
-Avoid avocado if at all possible.
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Wow, I like this. Excellent artwork, and concept. Keep up the good work. :wink:
Nathan Commons
ferrigno

Post by ferrigno »

youve got some suitably nice sinster ideas there, very nice, the picture quality seems a little smudgy.. or maybe its just me, but yea i like thta work alot, especially the first picture.
________
[url=http://hawaii.dispensaries.org/]Hawaii medical marijuana[/url]
Last edited by ferrigno on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
xroninbasho23

Post by xroninbasho23 »

again trying to find work that will allow a goodly amount of creative freedom, i considered the exterior of the greater part of the Clockwork City. the Nerevarine only saw the inside of Sil's own palace; i imagined a sprawling city full of mages, spellswords, and magical craftspeople.

i was unsure of how to make a suitably odd design for the twisted savant while still maintaining some level of general ease for the modeler, so i decided to take Sil's greatest influences and mash them together, combining Dwemer and Telvanni architecture for some weird stuff akin to Tel Vos, but rather moreso.

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sothasil11pt.jpg

on the left is a guard tower. the main portion of the structure is a simple Dwemer tower with an open parapet: on the interior, it's just an open vertical shaft for people to levitate up. however, there's then the big bend of a Telvanni mushroom forming what i dubbed the 'claustrophorum', the idea being that on the outside it's only as tall as the Dwemer tower but on the inside there's a massive spiral staircase touching eight floors of troops, services and supplies, using some kind of compression charm. also note that i built the whole thing on a kind of miniature version of the ancient Dunmer fortresses like Andasreth and Kogoruhn.

on the right is the main gate to Sotha Sil. basically i took the Telvanni gate, the rayed circle of wood, and stuck one of those revolving Dwemer doors on the inside, with Dwemer cranks on each ray. depending on which crank you turn, obviously, the door will open and take you to a different part of the city, allowing for free fast transit within the metropolis.

--xrb23
Note to self:
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

A mix of Telvanni and Dwemer, very unique! I know little about Sotha Sil's clockwork city, although I heard that it tended to move from place to place, which made me wonder if it was a floating city or something of the like.

It was also his refuge away from initiates, where he could be alone with his own devices. With his death, I wonder if people would be able to enter it again...
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
xroninbasho23

Post by xroninbasho23 »

first hammerfell-specific update. note that i leaned toward the desert-dwelling peoples rather than the city folk; too much Dune, i think. in any case, mostly Muslim, Bedouin and Touareg influences here. is there much need for stuff like this? or should i focus more towards settled peoples?

and by the way, no, my proportions haven't gotten much better in the interim >_>

http://img485.imageshack.us/full.php?image=hfnomads9gv.jpg
- on the right-hand side are two fairly similar designs - just some sketchy...sketches, determing the basic look of a nomad. the aesthetic i went with is dressed light for travel, mostly cloth, really designed to protect the skin from the sun. looking (with a preternaturally good eye) at the guy in the upper right-hand corner, you can see he has a small bladder or bag on his belt, and on a three-buckle baldric he has his shield (the corner of which can be seen over his shoulder - more on that later). all my designs here included scarves and hoods with long sleeves and legs.

the guy on the bottom is my initial thought of one of the desert dwellers. he's darkly-colored and almost emaciated from living so long in so harsh an environment; on his wrists he's wearing bound twine bracers, from some kind of animal entrails treated and dried to that shape. i expect to see a lot of bald or dreadlocked heads, which the nomads prefer in order to let more body heat escape into the hood. i also gave him some eye-paint to prevent sunlight from hurting his eyes; i thought of the older desert dwellers as being marked by this persistent black mark below their eyes from repeated application of these paints.

http://img456.imageshack.us/full.php?image=hfclothing2bv.jpg
-as i said, the influences were mostly Muslim and Bedouin, and it certainly shows in the patterns and cut of cloth. i focused a lot on veils, hoods and scarves to protect the head, usually in tandem; the most important thing is to find something that differs significantly from the Morrowind clothing, which was also designed for protection against particle storms.

on the left is a simple robe with some different sleeve designs of greater or lesser complexity, depending on the economic standing of the individual; note that the sleeves have a seam for quick removal, so when you get too hot or need extra cloth you can just lose a sleeve in a heartbeat.

to the right of the robes is a pair of head coverings. i didn't use any actual turbans, instead staying close to general sun-blockers. the leftmost is a simple hood and collar with a drawstring around the face and a striped scarf close about the neck; the one to the right is a series of scarves folded over each other, on top of two collars.

you can see some simple boots below, which are basically bags made of treated skin, sewn into shape, bound with rags and laced up the front. below that, however, is a somewhat more interesting idea: kind of like snow shoes, but desert shoes, these boots are actually just cloth with leather thongs tying into one of the wooden shields (below), in order to provide a flat surface upon which to sprint over the sands without dragging.

in the corner are two simple designs: the 3-way belt buckle and the bound intestine bracer, just entrails dried around the forearm and wrist really.

http://img456.imageshack.us/full.php?image=hfweapons5jy.jpg
-some very obviously Arabesque jambiya knife and talwar sword designs, with a sword hilt based off a weird kitchen knife i have, interestingly enough; the hilts could be carved bone, wood, or jeweled metal. the shield is actually a Persian-inspired design i came up with in an attempt to create something useful and light for a nomad: this design is actually a round wicker frame with wooden dowels thrust through it and bound together (one may or may not stretch a skin over this for further protection); curved and light as it is, it could be a shield, a basket, a shoe (as above) or a simply hat. the scabbards and sheaths are designed with a similar mindset: basically, they're treated skins given structure by wooden posts on the interior.

--xrb23
xroninbasho23

Post by xroninbasho23 »

-[url]http://img497.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hfgods1dd.jpg[/url]
these are thoughts on tribal tattoos or simplistic emblems of the hammerfell pantheon. i took each of the ra gada deities, noted its personality and history, and came up with some kind of simple symbol based on this very aboriginal aesthetic style. each icon has a description and name.

-[url]http://img497.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hfweapons25hs.jpg[/url]
another hammerfell weaponset. on the left is a staff weapon: a stave made of joined lengths of bamboo or wood, with a jambiya knife lashed to the end. next to it is the joining system diagraming, showing how each end could be twisted and bent, forming a tentpost to which a robe or rug could be lashed for shelter in the desert.

the swords are largely similar in nature. the first is an iron scimitar with a bamboo hilt and bone guard; the sheath is a starched leather bag with bone braces and hair stitching. the second is a blade with a carved bone hilt and bone nape for the scabbard; the scabbard itself if wood paneling over bone. the third is a serrated saw-edge sword, for hacking up corpses or trees for supplies; the scabbard is wood with stretched skin. the final sword is all-metal: steel blade and hilt with bronze embellishments; the scabbard is wave-carved wood with a bronze brace system.

the knives are simple as well. the first is a sikh-style dagger made all of iron, used in a punching motion. the second is a simple steel blade with carved bone hilt and scabbard. the third is a larger jambiya, steel blade and silver hilt and scabbard with bronze embellishment. the fourth piece is a silver handle with bone-guard and pommel, each coated in gold leaf like the scabbard.

more to come.

--xroninbasho23
xroninbasho23

Post by xroninbasho23 »

[url]http://img278.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hfclothes4jy.jpg[/url]
-just a few more clothing concepts, with a more decorative robe, some hakama-like pants/skirts, and a wraparound-tie shirt. simple stuff.

[url]http://img278.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hforderscarab0jy.jpg[/url]
-my concept for Totambu's Order of the Scarab. Totambu's test of manhood is a trip to Stros m'Kai, exploring the Dwemer ruins and fighting the centurions therein. as such, the elite knights of Totambu, who have all been through the ruins and share the icon of Lorkhan (whose relationship with the Dwemer has been interesting, to say the least), use recycled Dwemeri armor (Oblivion-style) and native craft for protection.

i realized that wearing a full casque-style helmet would be somewhat like wearing a pressure cooker in the hot, dry Hammerfell climate, so i took the Dwemer helmet and cut it in half at the eye-slit, adding a veil to cover the face. the shoulders are protected by full Dwemer pauldrons, and the neck and chest are covered by an armor torque with the scarab symbol (to the right of the first full concept) in the center. the cuirass is woven of wicker, and probably backed with starched leather or linen. on his wrists are the wristlet segments of Dwemer gauntlets, bereft of the full gloves or elbow defenses; a long black shirt provides a comfortable half-glove. on his feet are simple Dwemer-style boots over woven sandals.

to the right you can see the knife i pondered (bone and wood hilt with a bronze sheath) and the shield (Dwemer battle shield with recycled pattern ornamentation). the polearms were thoughts on how to extend the scarab shape into a functional blade, but i much prefer the mace further to the right: it's a wooden shaft with a flanged full scarab head, a Dwemer cog for a handguard and one of the spikes off the pauldrons for the pommel.

below all that, i redrew the knight with the robe over the armor, rather than under, with more belting and one of those three-segment baldrics (the baldric has another Dwemer cog for a clip). not only do i think it looks better, but considering the robe system from Morrowind, it would probably be easier to implement this way as well.

as always, more to come.

--xrb23
Note to self:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

whoaw, it looks pretty sweet!... i especially like the helm, very mysterious... i would love to see a finer version of this
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

Such detailed work, it cannot go without a profile view! I would love so see how the helm and cuirass looks in other 2d views!
HoonDing mongori tiavo; Lemansha temin diang hibat.
The Hoon Ding guides us; all others can Make Way.
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

Ah, yes I can definately see the combination with the Oblivion Dwemer Armor (which I assume must come from the ruins near Hammerfell/High Rock, since I dont think there are many, if any, in Cyrodil).

Its nice to see that you put effort into putting lore behind your concept. In comparison to Jack's concept, it looks a lot heavier, it would make sense to use both designs, yours could be the heavier concept, and Jack the lighter?

I agree with Jack that a version using a finer pencil would do the design credit, considering the amount of detail you put into it.

The weapon designs are looking good too! It's just a huge annoyance that spears arn't in Oblivion :cry:, the mace would be cool to see when made!
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i agree, your concept look much heavier than mine... so mine is now the lighter version (light armor) in the sence of yours being the armour the members get after passing the test :P
xroninbasho23

Post by xroninbasho23 »

i'll start working on a functional detail version piece by piece, tonight. note, though, that the Dwemer components, like the helmet, torque, pauldrons, wristlets and eventually boots, are partially or fully formed in the game itself, and as such my concepts of the other sides of certain pieces will be eclipsed by the proper models, once we get to see them.

this probably would be the heavy armor, since it uses Dwemer components and Dwemer armors are pretty much always heavy. i'll probably beef up the wicker portion of the cuirass a bit and try some greaves to complete the set. sound good?

--xrb23
Note to self: