Tamriel Rebuilt Comic

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I don't like the idea of a walking band of cliches AT ALL. we should focus on ONE character only, or two if totally neccesary. Once I finish Rolban's story, all of your heads will explode. trust me.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

One character? You gotta be kidding. I would say have at least three main characters, all with different motives and specializations. Allow the readers to pick their favorites, and we have much more potential for a multi-layered, rotating comic book. If you only have one character, anyone who doesn't like said character is not going to enjoy the comic book. I, for example, don't particularly like Dunmer, especially goody-goody Dunmer with a passion for the Tribunal.
Also, although it kills me to say it, I think that the brute archetype should be left out. As much as I would love to insert myself as the Nord hulk who goes around ruining everyone's day, it's been done too many times before. Might make a good villian though, or perhaps an infrequent side character.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

IMO, three is a good number. I still like woot's 2 orignal characters and would like one more.

An alternative to making multiple character's in one comic is making more than one comic. We certainly have enough people interested.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I think ALL archetypes should be left out, and instead, we create ordinary people hurtled into extraordinary circumstances. Also, I think Sin City-esque brief crossing of different storylines would be hella neat. some brief ideas:
A necromancer - his story would be portrayed in an almost positive light, delving nto what makes his mind tick in such a way.
A moonsugar-addict is kicked out of his house by his wife, forced to abandon his children, and delves into the underground drug-trade of Senchal.
An argonian slave, unexpectedly freed by an adventurer in Vvardenfell, seeks to make a new life for himself in Cyrodiil - but has no clue where to start. might be an interesting guy to just have in a tavern, drunkenly reciting his somewhat short story to someone.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Alright, everyone, google for "crossgen negation" and if you can find free pages from the comic, you will see ways to make a very good scenario with way more than 5 chars. That's mainly for those who only want one character. But as always, it's just a suggestion :)
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

I think 2 main characters would be enough. We have 2 provinces to show so Redguard and Dunmer would be the best IMO.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

Obviously we have a seperation between focusing personal stories of single protagonist plotlines, and progressive epic of multiple characters focused to intertwined strings of fate.

I myself, am partial to the first, but we can continue to display examples of plots and characters till we can unanimously (at best) agree on one story archetype. The biggest thing to continue this flow is presenting ideas.
HoonDing mongori tiavo; Lemansha temin diang hibat.
The Hoon Ding guides us; all others can Make Way.
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Personally, I'm more inclined to present lowly character(s) who try to escape their fate and while on it, they accidentaly touch a tiny bit of the epic-ness that is all over the world of Tamriel.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

I do agree. The constant flow of The Onez who must save the world from evil mostarz is getting pretty much boring.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

El Scumbago wrote:Personally, I'm more inclined to present lowly character(s) who try to escape their fate and while on it, they accidentaly touch a tiny bit of the epic-ness that is all over the world of Tamriel.
Totally agree. The heroes of prophecy in the Elder Scrolls have one thing in common -- they're all player characters.

Something comic book characters can't be, unless you do an adventure game like Redguard where you don't have a choice in what character you play.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Alright, everyone, google for "crossgen negation" and if you can find free pages from the comic, you will see ways to make a very good scenario with way more than 5 chars. That's mainly for those who only want one character. But as always, it's just a suggestion
I've got every Crossgen comic in high quality on CD. Well..had.. I lent them out and my buddy lost them... i've given up hope on ever getting them back. However, I still have one of the CDs, and i think its got some negation issues. I'll see if i can get some examples up.
SwedishFish

Post by SwedishFish »

I think that the whole story of TR should be the about the untold prophecy of the Return of the Dwarves. LOTR-ish and StarWars-ish, I know, but it would be an awesome story. The silent prophets finally utter words and wander the world and find a member of each race that fulfills the prophecy's requirements. This group is then brought to you and you lead them around the world destroying the plans of Dwarven spirits.
This could easily become a comic.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

The whole story of TR won't be about anything so blatantly lore-defiling. :) We just won't touch on the big mysteries of the "unirnverse", and what befall of the dwarves is one of them; we won't bring large world-altering event and the return of an extinct race and civilization would be one.
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Here are 4 pages of storyboard, nothing too specific, no actual storyline. Anyone can interprete these as he sees fit.
Featuring a nameless redguard and a dunmer.
Could be sirwoot's redguard trying to escape in vain, and that ordinator guy who's lying low, dressed as a rogue. Not quite succesfully, as it turns out.

[url=http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trcomicstoryboard15za.jpg][img]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7792/trcomicstoryboard15za.th.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trcomicstoryboard29rx.jpg][img]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5088/trcomicstoryboard29rx.th.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trcomicstoryboard39vr.jpg][img]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8541/trcomicstoryboard39vr.th.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trcomicstoryboard49cy.jpg][img]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3627/trcomicstoryboard49cy.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Anyone who's done a storyboard too, post it right away. Anyone who's thinking of making, stop thinking and do it.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Ive added a bit to Rolban's story on page one. There's a massive plot twist at the end - with the stuff I posted you can probably easily guess one facet of it. The entirety of what i've wrote so far is probably 3/5ths of the entire story.

Really diggin' those storyboards. The town you drew looks a bit more like Sentinel stylistically, but still hella awesome.
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

This idea is as good as dead. Gives me a heartache, so could someone move it to the archives?
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I'm reviving this dead boy with the rest of Rolban's story. I had an urge to do some writing... it'll be here in its entirety after I finish the edit that adds it.
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

this can't die, lets eitehr start over, or continue where this was left.
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

"Orix bows down to £'s leet spelling skills" - Oriks
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Sirwoot said he had a storyline in mind and was working on th details. Woot, if you've got something, do post it.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I might as well help this along with two ideas, though if Woot's storyline is anything near what I think I will probably just lay down my ideas and go with that.

Idea one: Foryn Gilnith (is that written right?) runs away from Seyda Neen after nearly being killed by an unknown adventurer. (The adventurer is not the Nerevarine yet, if there is a flashback it would probably only show the black shadow of the adventurer in the foreground). He has to stay far away from Imperials so that he won't get caught and killed. It probably will start with his walking through Morrowind and, after a series of mis-adventures he ends up in Hammerfell four years later, when the monsters from Oblivion start their invasion. This would tie together Morrowind and Oblivion, the history of TR. :D

Idea two, for those who like a group of adventurers: A fighting Imperial of great strength gathers up a spell caster and a thief and the three start on adventures. This would be a sort of flashback about the meeting of the three. Then in the present they come up against a really strong monster, the Imperial warrior dies and the other two run away together. Basically, the idea is that while normally people like to have the three specialties: Stealth, Magic and Combat, here the Combat is not there, so you have to defenceless adventurers who, though having started out well, are suddenly near being wiped out by every monster they meet, because both are better for long-range fighting or whatnot. Basically the comic will outline their adventures. Perhaps the goal is to get to a city and away from the deep wilderness that surrounds them, or they are just trying to continue their adventures, despite the loss of their leader.

Anyway, discuss this until Woot comes along with a better idea. :wink:

(edited to fix mistakes and typos.)
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

The idea of two defenseless small-time pickpockets is something I love, and can easily get hillarious. According to the storyboard I've posted here, 2 persons (a redguard and a dunmer) try to get away from their homelands, each one for different reasons. In the future, they accidentally meet, and while they dislike each other, they have to stay together if they want to evade the long arm of law and avoid a long-time sentence.

I've thought it'd be nice to show some of Morrowind in the beginning (TR places especially) and then transfer all of the action in Hammerfell, perhaps at the time of the Oblivion crisis.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Yes, I like the idea too. By the way, I wrote one sneaky pickpocket and one mage, but it's all the same. :)
angelus6
Reviewer

Post by angelus6 »

wow, what about the pickpocket and the magr, but teh mage is quite weak and deffenseless, (think Vivi from FFIX) so he cnt do to much, maybe making him quite a comical charecter and an easy target for puns by the rogue (pickpocket)
On a concrete cross you fall
Both a martyr to your cause and mine

[url=http://angelus6.110mb.com/3dMaxGallery.html][img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3307/newsig01zv0.jpg[/img][/url]
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

egh! I had no idea there was a push for me to finish my story... I'll get right to that. I've been really absent from TR reccently. :-/
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Push??? If that's what you call push, i don't even want to imagine what you'd call school or job!
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Double post. I've begun working on some character sketches, so far I've got a breton I like and working on a dunmer. Just informing.
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

Cool, do you wnana collaborate at all on this, I honestly dnt mind, it's just i could draw some stuff :D
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Of course I do. Even if I wanted, i couldn't pull it off on my own!
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

Well, i gotta sleep now, but PM me, or we can speak on MSN tomorrow, i dnt mind.

Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Has anyone mentioned illustrating one of beths short stories? I know it's not fully related to a TR comic...I just think it'd be really nice to see images along with the stories...something like an iluustrated "Incident at Necrom" could be used to raise interest in TR (We could use TR's Necrom in the images)...that story would make for really good illustrations.

What say you?
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

A couple of illustrations in the book, like the ones that were popular in the beginning of the 19th century would be very nice. I don't know the english word for that drawing style though.
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

Prints I think. Heh.

El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Err, no. :|
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

lol, I don't know, can you find an example on Google. I can't think of any specific drawings styles in the early 1800's.

El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

MSN? Chat? Art Stuff? Now?
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

Gah, I made the outliens too thick :(

And the details seem to be overdone in this 'unoriginal' version.

[url=http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trcomiciclines2copylb4.jpg][img]http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5672/trcomiciclines2copylb4.th.jpg[/img][/url]

heres the original

[url=http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trcomicicmv8.jpg][img]http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6583/trcomicicmv8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

NEENJA
Developer

Post by NEENJA »

Is this idea still valid? 'cause I would love to write for it.
(My drawing skills leave very much to be desired)

EDIT: Oops, I just read more of the thread, and I noticed you probably meant an action-comic book. I'm not as interested on working on that as I would be on a funny, comedy comic. If you guys want me to work on a comedy comic, of Tamriel people or core members, I have an artistically-inclined friend who could probably work on that. I could write. Just a thought.

--the NEENJA
"Beware, woman! Go away from here--go away, now, or it will be the worse for you. I am an unprotected male, but I will preserve my honor at the peril of my life!"

~Mark Twain
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Damn, I'd totally forgotten about it! Gotta upload the concepts and storyline I've made this far. Neenja, the element of comedy will be present, but it's mostly an adventure-oriented comic. Uhm, will be, that is -if we get to make it someday!
TheARRGH

Post by TheARRGH »

what about a story that involves a nord berserker with a tendency for loving SAVVY (Sex, alchohol, vicious violence, and yelling), a male argonian mage/hunter type with the kind of personality that can only be described as brooding, cynical, rightness-obsessed, determined, and ruthless towards enemies, and a female imperial with thief and assassin training (sort of a femme fatale but also the exasperated "why me?" one because she's keeping the other two in line every day) trying to get money, beer, and hero-cred and getting everything from drunk, stoned, beaten up, and hallucinating about fingernail spiders to getting into philisophical discussions on cultural oddities? sort of a comedy/satire, breaks adventurer stereotypes and skewers the idiocy of society?

note: please use my idea. please. i'm beggin you. you can't stop it...it's on a mission from god. And don't call me shirley.

Please respond....i need ego validation.
There is more in heaven and earth, Horatio, than is dream't of in your philosophy.-The Bard

The fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings...-Julius Caesar, dialogue by The Bard
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

this thread has been dead for 5 months, please don't necromance threads without good reason. (For a thread like this, there is no good reason)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo