Possible problem with new engine....

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

The Old Ye Bard

Possible problem with new engine....

Post by The Old Ye Bard »

will TESAME work with TESIV or will we have to wait until a new program is made to clean all of are claims if so...dam.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

If TES IV uses .esp and .esm filenames, then it should, but I doubt they will, because Oblivion and MW aren't compatible. Of course technically they might be compatible, it just might make the game crash. We won't know until we try!
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
The Old Ye Bard

but if there not .esp or .esm where not going to be able to clean any of are stuff which means utter mayhem... 8o !
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

There will undoubtedly be a new program made for it if that is the case. Stop yer fretting. :P
The Old Ye Bard

Massalinie wrote:There will undoubtedly be a new program made for it if that is the case. Stop yer fretting. :P
She wrote yer instead of your...the people of the maple leaf are taking over! the first sign of the apocolapse! where all doomed!!!!!!!!!!
Saibot
Developer

Post by Saibot »

Even if TESAME doesn't work with TES IV, I don't think we will have to wait very long for a new one to be made. Anyway, will things really be that hard without it?
The Old Ye Bard

claims can't be submitted without it...or did it slip your mind :P
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

Have you ever thought that the new CS can be less buggy in terms of messing with .esp??? It even can have is owne tool for clean plugins if it makes them dirty. We have to wait.
MAP 3 -> Interiors
Map 3 -> Interior Fixing
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

This feature was supposed to be included in the Morrowind CS, it's just that it was buggy as hell. You can clean a file to a certain extent using the details panel, it's just that it still lists the cell/object as changed. I wonder if the Devs used TESAME for their official mods-that's gotta hurt your pride. ;) (using somebody else's utility to work around your own mistakes)
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Saibot
Developer

Post by Saibot »

The Old Ye Bard wrote:claims can't be submitted without it...or did it slip your mind :P
Yes... I suppose it did. :oops:
The Old Ye Bard

does anyone know of the person who created TESAME?
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

1: How long was it after Morrowind was released that TESAME was developed?

2:
Have you ever thought that the new CS can be less buggy in terms of messing with .esp???
True

3:
claims can't be submitted without it
False

I am pretty sure this is possible without TESAME, it is just done to make the files clean. Perhaps some user from before TR recorded history could enlighten us as to how the pre-TESAME system of claiming worked. Or maybe TESAME predates TR, I don't know.

Edited to fix word placement
Saibot
Developer

Post by Saibot »

The Old Ye Bard wrote:does anyone know of the person who created TESAME?
I know who created it, but that's all.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yes, to further back Fraxix's statement, claims CAN be submitted without TESAME use. It's just that most folks just have dirty .esps.

I myself have never once used TESAME on any of my interior claims, which number in the double digits. (of course only about 7 of those were 'official' claims. Most were for map one.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

Without the TESAME, basically it would mean that a claimer could change a part of vvardenfell and the reviewers wouldn't be able to tell, thus they could cause horrible, horrible problems. That said we can probably trust our members to not be that stupid, still i feel pretty sure that someone will create a new TESAME for TESIV if the current one won't work.
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Uh...

This thought isn't very reassuring. I thought TESAME cleaning was mandatory. But wait, Massey, can't reviewers, and aren't they supposed to, check what, if anything, was altered incorrectly during their review?
Nathan Commons
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

CommonsNat wrote:Uh...

This thought isn't very reassuring. I thought TESAME cleaning was mandatory. But wait, Massey, can't reviewers, and aren't they supposed to, check what, if anything, was altered incorrectly during their review?
Yes they are. Without a TESAME for the new engine, things might be slightly more tricky... but I have confidence that a new one will be made, if the old one doesn't work (which I doubt it would).

And, not to add to the hoopla, but this quote doesn't sound too reassuring:
Interview wrote:GH: Morrowind had a number of conflicts when various mods were loaded. With the refined Construction Set, a new engine, and the content releases expected for the 360, will the same problem be seen in this game?

B: I don’t believe there were any cases were conflicts between mods were necessarily the fault of the Morrowind Construction Set. Opening up your game to modding is going to invite people to try some crazy things, and almost by definition, crazy things are going to cause conflicts. The editor is great at spitting out warnings if you’re trying to do something that is going to cause problems, but at the end of the day the responsibility of evaluating what mods to load lies with the end user.
[url=http://www.gamershell.com/articles/996.html]Found here.[/url]
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

You can clean a file in the TESCS thanks to the Details panel, but it's simpler with TESAME.

Because the details panel works differently, it doesn't delete stuff, it merely sets them on "ignore" which means they won't be loaded.

Then you need to load the file, and save it, and it'll be cleaned.

But a simple and very minor change in the TESCS' UI would solve 95% of the dirtyness problems: add a "Save reference change" button to item's edit window, and make it the default button activated with the Enter key. Because when you save a reference's parameters (ownership, scale, position and rotation, etc.) it isn't intuitive at all to hit Escape or click Cancel. But that's what you had to do in the TESCS, since saving meant saving the item while the references where updated in real-time whether you wanted it or not.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

As Gez said, TESAME is basically just a tool to speed things up; I never used TESAME until I became HoR. I just used the Details button in the CS which works very similar. As Gez said, it is a bit slower but it still works the same. I assume the new CS will still have this function and perhaps even an improved one.