Dark Brotherhood

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Seran
Developer Emeritus

Dark Brotherhood

Post by Seran »

For those of you who want to join in, it whould be wise to post again.
I've done some lore checking on this.

The head of the fraction is called: Night Mother, Sex has nothing to do whit it. It's a name that have gone down from generation. All the way bakc to 2€324- exactly a 1000 years ago, <- could someone check that out? as a valid second check. We could make good use of that.

This is a time where bought Morag Tong and Dark Brotherhood is one. You could read up more on it here.
[url=http://til.gamingsource.co.uk/mwbooks/brothers_of_darkness.shtml]Imperial Library[/url]

In a short term. They are a money oriented. Whe ever pays them, get they're service.

... I have Four places I had in mind for this guild. Two of them is a bit far off the main routes.

On is in Kragenmoor. Almost to the boarder to Cyrodill there is a Camp made up in the hills. It's actually made for an assassin guild. There is room for two interiors on it. A trapdoor and a tent.

Second is in claim 2-15, It's a trap door that is just above the tavern plaza. it's described in the readme that follows the mod.

The third is in Black Light. Rodan gave us the interior for a basement. the Rusty Cutlass basement . (cell -20,11)

The fourth is in Old Ebonheart. I don't know how long they have come on this city, but I recond we can get a good house for it.

Other than this we need to fill things in.

Let's work like this.
First Interiors= shouldn't take more than a week or two.
Then Npc's= we need to agree on how many we should have at each fraction, etc. We can add more as we go.
Dialogue= We'll start at the to whit the highest ranking in the guild and work our way down.
Quest's= At the end we vork out plots, advancement quests, etc.

We can check out lore as we go, discuss how the guild should be laid up. Advancement, etc.

To make it easier on ourself I think it whould have been best not to have the night mother title as grand master. And the term Brother shouldnt be the first, 2-3 whould be best.

ps: I think the guild is imperial, I belive I read that somewhere. I whould be very suprised if The Empror or the archmage didn't use/emply them.
If you don't bother with your past history. How do you know where your currently at? It's past what makes us who we are. And who we will be. Ignoring that, is ignoring who we are and where we're going.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

2E lasts until 2E 896.
Current time is 3E 427.

896 - 324 = 572
572 + 427 = 999

The guild is an offshoot of the Morag Tong, so they're both Dunmeri in origin. The Morag Tong was banned outside of Morrowind, so the Brotherhood is more common in other provinces. While not legal, they are recognized as serving a useful purpose. It's like the Thieves Guild - they're not officially sanctioned, but there's no big governmental push to get rid of them, either.

The Dark Brotherhood is already a faction in the CS. Can't remember the rankings offhand.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Katse

Post by Katse »

The Dark Brotherhood appeared only a few years after the Morag Tong--supposedly they were founded by disgruntled former Morag Tong members. Without question, greed is probably the main reason they came to exist, and is why they still exist.

Katse
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

from TIL's book of the daedra: "Few mortals have the stomach to trade in souls. The Dark Brotherhood does it, as do certain groups within the Mages Guild. For these cruel folk, Azura's Star has a particular fascination."

I've always wondered wether souls of people could be trapped too (they should). Could that be another (even more sinister) way for the DB to make money? Selling sould to daedra (they collect them from their victims)? Just a suggestion. Also, the Morag Tong worship Mephala, one of the good daedra. Do the DB worship another daedra?
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Cep

Post by Cep »

I am not sure but the original Night Mother was a Daedra or servant of Mephala. I am sure I read that somwhere in game. I will have to search for it.

On another note,

My own opinion is that the DB and even the Commona Tong where not joinable before and I don't think they should be joinable now.
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

Dark Brotherhood have never been much of a cult.
Selling souls whould be to step into that area.
And if it's a imperial guild, I whould have a hard time beliving it.I'm thinking more in the lines of pure professionals. And that whould explain also why they do things as they do.

Earl.. You forgot that it 3€1 is one year after 2€896, another way is to count 3€427 as 428 years
If you don't bother with your past history. How do you know where your currently at? It's past what makes us who we are. And who we will be. Ignoring that, is ignoring who we are and where we're going.
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

This is taken from "souce of chaos".
and over the years degenerated into a thuggish mystery-cult which wanted to "murder the world." The Dark Brotherhood was born in these times-- which, in Morrowind, is known as the Morag Tong. Some of the higher-level Morag Tong maintain that they predate the Dark Brotherhood
Errmmm.. what?
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

This is the places I've think we need to read up on.

[url=http://til.gamingsource.co.uk/mwbooks/black_glove.shtml]The Black Glove[/url]

[url=http://til.gamingsource.co.uk/mwbooks/axe_man.shtml]The Axe man[/url]

[url=http://til.gamingsource.co.uk/mwbooks/brothers_of_darkness.shtml]The Brothers of Darkness[/url]

[url=http://til.gamingsource.co.uk/mwbooks/hanin_wake.shtml]Hanin's Wake[/url]

[url=http://til.gamingsource.co.uk/obscure_text/chaos.shtml]Source of Chaos[/url]

Some more things I picked up:

Mehrunes Razor

The Dark Brotherhood has coveted this ebony dagger for generations. This mythical artifact is capable of slaying any creature instantly. History does not record any bearers of Mehrune's Razor. However, the Dark Brotherhood was once decimated by a vicious internal power struggle. It is suspected that the Razor was involved.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

actually if you look up the razor in the TESCS you will find a silver dagger whit enchantment

posion 6-20tps
weakness to poison 5pts for 10 sec
disintergrate armor x to x

it works so good because the posion weakness keeps stacking up.
"Our vision is to recreate Tamriel in a way truthful to how Bethesda Softworks would have wanted it to look like by using TES lore."
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

Hemm... I whould like to change that one.
But what if we just make some new ones. Find some good daggers,short swords, bow and a few long swords.

I'm going to start work on two interiors, anyone wants to start on the two other? I'm going to take the one in 2-15 and Old E.

We can start on the Npc's after that.

note: try to only use imperial structures. And skip the BM mod on it. It takes us that much longer to mod whit it, And I don't think we need to use anything from it.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

the DB ranks are as follows:

1=Darkling
2=Inkling
3=Brother
4=Dark Brother
5=High Brother
6=Fatherling
7=Fatherling
8=High Fatherling
9=Grand Fatherling
10= ArchBrother
11= Grand ArchBrother

At least thats what mine is. It might be different from another persons. I dont know why though.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Originally posted by Seran
This is taken from "souce of chaos".
and over the years degenerated into a thuggish mystery-cult which wanted to "murder the world." The Dark Brotherhood was born in these times-- which, in Morrowind, is known as the Morag Tong. Some of the higher-level Morag Tong maintain that they predate the Dark Brotherhood
Errmmm.. what?
but I thought that the Morag Tong DID predate the Dark Brotherhood!!!

I thought they were allowed in Vvardenfell, but not in the rest of Tamriel, so they branched off and made a lesser version of themselves called the DB, and they severed all ties with it so that the other Tamriel officials would note nothing of any connections. I thought members of one could not be a member of the other, and could not socialize too much with them either...but thats probably just me
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

Where did you find this ranks haplo?

But as far as I can understand, DB broke out of the MT becus of cult differenses. Meaning: They wanted just the money. Not some cult forship.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

I don't know where he got those ranks from but the ranks from tribunal are as follows:

Apprentice
Journeyman
Operator
Wetboy
Executioner
Punisher
Terminator
Assassin
Dark Brother
Master Assassin

These would the the attainable ranks, Night Mother would have to be considered above all of those and un-reachable.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

E: Looks good. And I agree, atleast until we come to cyrodill.

If you got them out of tribunal E, I think we'll have to use that rank.

But I made most of the Hideout in Old Ebonheart
It's suppose to be a hidden door on the east wall in claim O
[url]http://www.geocities.com/mpc14/Morrowind/claimw.html[/url]

Take a look at it. And make some suddestions what more we should put in there.

But I thought a good idea to on how the DB was organiced was that it was devided into a main hq for each province and a leader (Master Assassin) reported directly to the Night Mother in Cyrodill. (I still have a hard time beliving her to have the base on Vvardenfell, until I can get real proof on this.) And have each province run by a cousil of the Master assassin as the head, whit four Dark Brothers under him in the cousil.

The interior name is Dark Brotherhood Hideout
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

I got a small Idea.
When you think on it. Walking around whit battle gear is kinda pointless when your in your own guild house.

What if we script it to go like this:
You can't wear your armor when your not on assignment. And you can only kill targets at night, to minimise detection.

When your in your own guild houses.
You need to wear your guild robe.
Whit the black gloves. (or is that exclusive to MT)?

If you get detected by someone that you don't kill or is of DB, wearing the armor or the robe. You get expelled and targeted by the guild.

After all this is a secret guild.
More so than Morag Tong becus they are outlawed.
Not just in the essense of it, like Morag Tong is. They have writs to legalise they're assassinations.

But we need some DB banners and DB shrines.
A few books: Joining rules, Assassination skill learning, some exclusive history books (about they're own history, real, not propaganda), can't think of anything more right now.
Equipment: Some new weaponds, I'm thinking bow, maybe a new helm.

Being buisniss oriented, whouldn't that make them wealthy?

Not just in the essence of it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i can't model for crap, so unfortunately i can't really put in any help right now. but would the dark brotherhood really want official history to be publicised? wouldn't it make more since to have some of the more common myths in books and have older/higher-ranking members tell you the true story?

it sounds like you want to kind of go ninja with the dark brotherhood (in the sense that people who see them need to die). are you wanting to hold to the tribunal uniforms (i believe you mentioned a robe instead)? If not i suggest keeping the mask (since you want to be unrecognized).

how about if, rather than getting the boot, (non-guild) people who see you in db uniform attack you. It wouldn't matter when you were on a quest, but it would if you wore your outfit around haphazardly. as far as the soul tie in, it does seem more morag-tongish than db, but if you were gonna keep it it seems like it might be something only the night mother would do.

as far as having a base in vardenfel, i haven't done this, but in the morag tong faq at [url]http://gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/3365.html[/url] it is mentioned that you kill Severa Magia in Ald Sotha Lower Level. That source indicates that she is the night mother.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Ack! No Dark Brotherhood in Morrowind, please! :P

They wouldn't have any business in Morrowind; Morag Tong handles all assinations pretty well by themselves. In Tribunal, they were used because Helseth couldn't really use the Morag Tong to do his dirty work. The Morag Tong isn't nearly as secret in thier operation as the Dark Brotherhood since the Morag Tong isn't illegal in Morrowind. And what would the people think about Helseth, if they knew about him hiring assassins? Also, Helseth most likely made use of some Imperial contacts when hiring the Dark Brotherhood, so it's not really something any dunmer could do. We should wait with doing any Dark Brotherhood "guilds" until we're into Skyrim :P

The efforts of the Dark Brotherhood isn't needed by the people of Morrowind, and therefor they don't have any business there. Also, running a business in Morrowind would probably be much too great a risk for the Dark Brotherhood. Ofcourse rumors about them would arise, and they would in the end probably just be some other corpses left by Ordinators or some other group :P
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

this faction sounds good. i must sugest, however, that it does not use apprentice or journeyman as these are used for everything and would show a lack of creativeness on our part, and i personally am sick to death of them. if people argue that we must follow bethsoft, we can say that those ranks were for the brotherhood in mournhold only, maybe they were a breakaway faction or something
M1ke
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

I'm sorry but the argument falls apart.
Becus you have them in Mournhold.
You apperently have the night mother on Vvardenfell.
But I can see your point. Having a larger pressense is not good. Atleast not in Morrowind. It's after all as you say Morag Tong turf.
We could still have them in the imperial cities, and Black Light.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Not really, "outlanders" can do thier business with Morag Tong aswell. And the Imperials themselves are against these sort of services. There really isn't a target group for them in Morrowind I guess, since the Morag Tong is lawful, and the Dark Brotherhood is not. And why would someone risk involvement with the Dark Brotherhood, if they can just go to the Morag Tong to get thier business done? :P
Vagara

Post by Vagara »

The Dark Brotherhood does have members operating throughout Morrowind -- there are small cells of operatives in the province. If you do the Morag Tong quests, you encounter a few DB members around Vvardenfel.

The Night Mother is the name of the head of the Morag Tong. I think both groups use that title, although on Vvardenfel the Tong's leader is not called Night Mother -- so the highest leader is someone else. The Morag Tong is very strong in Morrowind, but the non-Dunmer does not usually use them. The Dark Brotherhood are more secretive since they are technically illegal. But the "nobility" of the Empire and other provinces have used their services discreetly for centuries... (well, not so discreetly when it comes to Helseth...)

So there would be locations with some small Dark Brotherhood groups, but they would never be open, joinable or well known -- the Morag Tong are their sworn enemies and would immediately destroy them. Perhaps place a few small groups (2-3 NPCs) in 2-3 large cities on the mainland.

In Tribunal, the leader of that group was an underling, not the top leader...

Ben
I'm probably not the most popular Nord around these parts...
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

This is why it will be small and you'll have to know where to look to find them. To be even close to finding them. This fraction needs to be joinable. Or we might as well forget the hole thing until we get to cyrodill. I atleast find that a rather dumb way to go.. And besides. So ppl just love these secret guilds. Like me.. :))
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

I'm with Kothloth on this. I remember someone wanting to put some of the Knights of [title] in border cities and Imperial cities in Morrowind. Stick in the Dark Brotherhood too. . . we might as well start figuring out what sorts of Guilds the Argonians have, and the Nords, and put them all in Morrowind. My point being: It feels like people are trying to jam in too many things where they shouldn't be. This is one province - let's leave something for the others, and not blow it all in one place.

How to explain Severa Magia:
1) Say The Night Mother is the provincal title of the head of the Brotherhood. Like an Archmage, so to speak - allowing for other head dudes in other places.
2) Explain that she is not, in fact, The Night Mother. Rather, she is an upstart, and only proclaimed herself such. Say the Morag Tong wanted you to strike her down because they are ignorant - they don't know who the real The Night Mother is. After all, the the true Night Mother isn't as vocal about the position as that pretender.
3) Holy crap! Our leader is dead [assuming the PC killed Magia]! And hey, here comes a random adventurer! Let's use him to kill our rivals in the Brotherhood, so we can secure the position ourself! [eg use it to kickstart a quest line]
4) [assuming the PC killed Magia] *shrug* Such are the dangers of doing business. Brotherhood members inform you that a new Night Mother has already been chosen [however that's done], and tell you "Of course, she's going to stay out of the public - and private - eye for a while. Because our last Mother was killed, the new one won't be taking any chances." [eg, the PC will never see the new Night Mother]
5) The PC hasn't killed Magia. In this case, nothing needs to be done, really.
RaJevir

Post by RaJevir »

Hmm... I wonder... could the night mother be Mephala herself?
"Scrib specimen number two escaped from its pen today. Again. I shall have to find some other way to limit its mobility, as building higher walls seems to have little effect" -Mistress Rathra
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

"The Dark Brotherhood sprang from a religious order, the Morag Tong, during
the Second Era. The Morag Tong were worshippers of the Daedra spirit
Mephala, who encouraged them to commit ritual murders. In their early years,
they were as disorganized as only obscure cultists could be-there was no one
to lead the band, and as a group they dared not murder anybody of any
importance. This changed with the rise of the Night Mother.

All leaders of the Morag Tong, and then afterward the Dark Brotherhood, have
been called the Night Mother. Whether the same woman (if it is even a woman)
has commanded the Dark Brotherhood since the Second Era is unknown. What is
believed is that the original Night Mother developed an important doctrine of
the Morag Tong-the belief that, while Mephala does grow stronger with every
murder committed in her name, certain murders were better than others.
Murders that came from hate pleased Mephala more than murders committed
because of greed. Murders of great men and women pleased Mephala more than
murders of relative unknowns." (The Brothers of Darkness)
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

Ok.. Looks like this is going to be made..
If not in morrowind then in the other provinces.
Who was it that wanted to be on the team?
Vagara

Post by Vagara »

Probably need to have the admins and mods vote on this proposed use of the DB, Seran...

Ben
I'm probably not the most popular Nord around these parts...
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

I don't see why, when the comunity has desided on this. And when I got it in the first place.
I know many is strongly against this, but it's not like you will be able to just walk in and join this guild. It will be hard to find and even harder to join.. I has thinking about making it like the freemasons guild.. You need two members to recomend you.. And finding those two aint going to be easy to say the least.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

I don't now. I don't think it needs to be brought to the others. It was decided bye TR isnt that enough.
I said I would return and I may have been right. The past must stay in the past as agreed. If the core needs me or has a job for me just ask for now I watch and write.

Former Moderator of the Core.
Was once called the Sotha Sil of the core.

Post by Guest »

woa, I guess I just read a mornhold spoiler :(

I think there should be a separate Journal topic for the DB, and a PC's standing with the DB would depend on where you are in your adventures in Mournhold.
If DB is still after you, Brotherhood members outside of MH wouldnt kill on sight, but would attack if you talked to them.
Garret Strife

Post by Garret Strife »

but what if some very rich noble in morrowind decides to hire the DB for a certain assassination that rich noble may want to hire the DB because they keep their assassinations well kept in the dark while the Morag Tong make it more public by getting rights to a writ maybe they shouldnt have bases but there should be either some or very little wandering morrowind